PDA

View Full Version : Exploring a faery world (Numenera/Cypher System)

mig el pig
2017-09-24, 03:17 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm gonna run an introduction to RPG to some friends and wanted to use the cypher system. The main reason is the easy task numbers and more freeform possibilites then for example DnD.

Since I wanted a good mix of social, combat and exploration I decided to go for an abduction into a Celtic/Germanic/Slavic Fairy world. I haven't got much experience with the cypher system and i'm looking for some tips and tricks on how you use the system for exploration.

I'm still building the world but here's an example of one scene/setting.

Forest of the Dancing Children:

Description:

A forest of leafless trees; green will-o-wisps, softly humming constantly, float from tree to tree; Nearly every tree is around twice the size of human being, an although they are leafless the two suns shining down on the forest create a constant shifting pattern of shadows.

Description of a Tree:

Two uplifted roots seem to interwine before extending again in two diffrent branches; when you touch it it feels more leathery then bark, on closer inspection (lvl2) the trees are covered in smal buds where, perhaps, a flower could grow.

Description of a will-o-wisp:

Lvl 2, to hit lvl 4, passive and evasive. Feeds of the trees, while feeding the center seems to shift in colour lightly with a whirling taint of crimson red.

Main NPC's:

Treebender (lvl5) and Sloth (lvl1) (lvl4 to spot)

Treebender: One slender, nearly naked fae is swirling and dancing around a tree. His song and movements seem to transform,no, rather sculpt the tree. Joyfully he passes onto the next tree without noticing you.

Sloth: lvl 4 to spot; there is another fae hanging from a branch not far away. Writhed and old it seems to be in pain. Slowly it tries to crawl away from the other fae.

Combat info: Treebender is swift and unarmed. He loses 1 lvl if Sloth dies and he will try to protect the trees. His attacks have an earth magic flavor.

Background info: The trees are humans who died in the forest, their bodies transformed and perhaps still carying a part of their soul. Treebender is using the trees, for the last 5 centuries as a living landscape to recreate a scene from his life. It is a feast where he danced before Freya the fertility goddes and received her favor. When she returns he wants to offer her this "painting" of this moment as a gift. Sloth is his former lover who tried to persuade him from carrying through this crazy plan but ended up bonded and drained of her liveforce.

Working on some sort of fire giant in the hills, a swamp with Giant Boars hoarding shackled ghosts, etc. but like I said I could use some tips on how to get the most out the cypher sysyem when running exploration. And as always open for other suggestions, especially other idea's for cool scenes.