PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Thought up a magic weapon, would like some help balancing it.

mkirshnikov
2017-09-24, 05:01 PM
I thought something like this would be interesting and depending on the DM, it could be a fun weapon to have as well.

Eetu's Anxious Blade

This hefty weapon is styled from an old executioner's sword, a sword with a squared tip, short guard, and a long, straight and thick blade.

This sword does exceptional damage, but a spirit lives within the blade, and this spirit wishes to not inflict harm upon anyone. This weapon has a -8 to hit against any living thing, including inanimate living things such as trees or plants, and will not allow you to kill any humanoids, directly or indirectly while attuned to it.

If you try to kill a humanoid yourself with any weapon, you always pull your hit and don't hurt your target. If you try to tell someone else to kill a humanoid, you instead try to reason with them as to not kill them.

Along with this, you hear a voice of a middle aged man who always sounds rather afraid of you, whimpers when you swing the blade, and yelps "Ow!" whenever you strike something with it.

These effects remains until you unattune to the weapon.

Properties: Versatile, Heavy

Damage: 2d6(2d8)

The gist of this is a magic weapon that doesn't want you to kill with it, but when you do, you do more damage than a normal sword of it's size.

What I really want help with is the hit penalty and damage dice, as I'm not really sure about them. Feel free to let me know your opinion on anything else, though.

paddyfool
2017-09-24, 05:10 PM
Would be amusing as a cursed item gifted to a PC "for use against the undead or the constructs of sorcery"... before they learn that the weapon actively avoids being used against almost anything else. But yeah, the mechanics seem a bit wonky.

mkirshnikov
2017-09-25, 07:39 PM
Would be amusing as a cursed item gifted to a PC "for use against the undead or the constructs of sorcery"... before they learn that the weapon actively avoids being used against almost anything else. But yeah, the mechanics seem a bit wonky.

Thanks! Do you have any ways on making the mechanics less wonky?