PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Favored Enemy for Expertise

Townopolis
2017-09-24, 06:32 PM
How would you feel about allowing rangers (revised or otherwise) to swap Favored Enemy and Greater Favored Enemy for Expertise in a single skill? Let us assume that the DM is using the skill check DCs from the book, meaning that Expertise essentially makes affected skill checks gimmes at mid-high levels.

Would this be balanced and fair? Or is it too weak; should Greater Favored Enemy swap for Expertise in two skills? Would you allow the swap but still give them the extra languages? Or is it too strong; should these features only swap out for a much more limited source of skill check bonuses? What would you give instead? Is the fact that the PHB ranger gets Favored Enemy thrice instead of twice for the revised ranger problematic (I sort of assume this is a non-issue in the face of the otherwise clear superiority of the revised ranger).

Asking for myself, as a DM.

Edit: To clarify: for revised rangers, Favored Enemy would be swapped out for Expertise in one skill at level 1. Greater Favored Enemy would be swapped out for Expertise in a second skill at level six. PHB rangers would gain expertise in one skill at level 1, a second skill at level 6, and a third skill at level 14 in exchange for Favored Enemy and all of its improvements.

Ixidor92
2017-09-24, 06:39 PM
I think giving expertise in only one skill would actually be weaker than giving up both favored enemy abilities, but why would you do this in the first place? I think it makes a lot more sense to use one of the feats listed here: https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf to simply give yourself expertise in the skill you wanted, rather than trying to swap out the two.

Townopolis
2017-09-24, 07:14 PM
Sorry, I meant that the ranger would gain Expertise in 1 skill whenever they would normally have gained a Favored Enemy. I've edited the original post to clarify.

And the point is to find something of equivalent power to replace the ranger's extraordinary racism features with and to cement their supposed role as the best explorers.

pwykersotz
2017-09-24, 07:26 PM
Ugh. Hunting != Racism

Sorry, minor peeve of mine. To the point, I think it's a lot more powerful. The favored enemy is not going to come up very much. Tracking and recalling info is pretty limited in my experience. That said, I don't think it's unreasonable. If a player really wanted to and had a good reason for it, I'd probably let them make the straight swap.

djreynolds
2017-09-24, 10:04 PM
Take a level of rogue,

or play the old PHB school ranger because you doubled your proficiency in any wisdom or intelligence check for those areas and you get 3 terrains at 1, 6, and 10 levels.... that's like expertise in 10 skills