PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to the boards?

Rare Pink Leech
2007-08-14, 05:35 AM
Over the past couple of days, there have been a few posts where a board member has decided to leave the forums, citing a change in atmosphere as the reason. As a relatively new member who's only recently starting posting relatively seriously, I'd love it if some veteran members could shed some light as to how the atmosphere has shifted. Thanks.

Lucky
2007-08-14, 05:41 AM
More people joined.

Rawhide
2007-08-14, 05:43 AM
More people joined.

Best three word response ever.

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-14, 05:45 AM
Mainly that the comic has gotten more popular, more people join the forums, leading to more site traffic, which results in more server load. This gives the place a little less "cosiness"(fewer people=more recognisable). We've also had to make a few changes(ported to a different forum format, signature/avatar restrictions: see above), so it feels a little less "freeform" than it was before.

Sean92k
2007-08-14, 05:46 AM
More people joined.And I was one of them. Im slowly killing you all http://www.randomsabers.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif
With my grammer bad and nonsensical posts

Lucky
2007-08-14, 05:52 AM
Best three word response ever.I probably could have gotten away with "People joined," thus shortening it even further, but hindsight's always 20-20.

And yes. Damn you Sean92K38SNAK2N29DKAJS, whoever you are. Damn you for changing the atmosphere.

Zar Peter
I'm feeling guilty, too. :smallfrown:

On the other hand it's too much fun to post here than to stop it.

banjo1985
Same here, I'm one of the newly joined, and the increased flow of people has led to lack of recognition and general site problems, which is driving some of the long-standing board members away by the looks of things.

I've only been posting for 3 months but even in that time I've felt a difference, not for the worse exactly, but its changing a bit, that's for sure.

Lucky
2007-08-14, 05:57 AM
I'm feeling guilty, too. :smallfrown: Right, because when we signed up here, we were completely not expecting anyone else to join. We were, in fact, thinking that once we joined, the boards would lock out anyone else from signing up.

Shame on you.

ChronicLunacy
2007-08-14, 05:59 AM
Over the past couple of days, there have been a few posts where a board member has decided to leave the forums, citing a change in atmosphere as the reason. As a relatively new member who's only recently starting posting relatively seriously, I'd love it if some veteran members could shed some light as to how the atmosphere has shifted. Thanks.

Something's changed? :smallconfused:

I've noticed a couple "veteran" members of the boards bawling like little girls and running away for some reason. Apparently something is different and therefore unbearable to them. Change = kryptonite. Either that or there are more people here than before so the celebrity status they enjoy is slowly dissolving since the new people don't know about X and Y that happened years ago and they miss the attention. I haven't been here as long as some, but I've noticed nothing, nor do I care much as long as I can keep playing my games in the IC section. So, I ask, who really cares? :smallsigh:

Ranis
2007-08-14, 06:01 AM
*feels cozy amidst the chaos*

What? Someone had to do it.

Miraqariftsky
2007-08-14, 06:02 AM
Maybe things got too complicated for them? Truth be told, I only became an active member back in May... but even then, the "atmosphere" back then was... less rules-ridden...

...just

maybe...

But then, it might have also been the recent influx of "l33t" speakers... or whatever.

For me, this place, these boards, they are a haven, a sanctuary for me from the daily grind at work, in college and at home. Not that I am ungrateful or ill-disposed towards the above institutions, but still, the GitPForums are where I get my daily dose of flights of fancy and where files of fantasy fly.

Ahem, also, this is where I have forged many friendships and bonds with the international online society at large.

Charity
2007-08-14, 06:14 AM
I don't know what the big fuss is about.
Why was I not told what the big fuss was about?
Right thats it I'm off!

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 06:26 AM
I haven't really noticed any change. Sure, some new people joined, but most of them are really nice folks who fit right in. The only significant change I've noticed is that some board veterans have left.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-14, 06:36 AM
How can you not notice the big changes?? Our leprachaun became a naga, our astronomer became a bathtub, our crazy anime fan girl now thinks Sasuke is cute instead of some whiny emo kid. These are huge changes.

Its even got the mods. Alarra is swinging a huge sword and our resident warrior has a sweater now. Its not right!! Madness!!

Zar Peter
2007-08-14, 06:40 AM
You mean in the older days there were less madness?

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 06:42 AM
You mean the good ole days, when people started randomly changing into llamas?

Serpentine
2007-08-14, 07:02 AM
What I don't get is why everyone makes a deliberate, final decision to leave and feels the need to announce it. I assume that eventually I'll get over the forums and start posting less, maybe even eventually stop posting at all. There's some people I've met here who I consider friends and would like to keep in contact with if they were willing (speaking of which: Jibar, would you consider trading contact details of some description with me? I'd quite like to catch up with you when/if I ever go over to the UK, if that's alright with you when it happens...), but other than that... It's sort of just a place to hang out, you know? I doubt I'll ever make some profound concious decision to stop coming here, and if I ever do, I won't announce it publicly unless it's for a reason that I think should be made known. Hm. I've gotten rather rambly, and I have a feeling there was something specific I wanted to say... oh well.

Dammit Llama, I'm not a bloody naga :smallyuk:

Lucky
2007-08-14, 07:05 AM
Dammit Llama, I'm not a bloody naga :smallyuk:No, you're a Leprechaun. :smallbiggrin:

Azrael
2007-08-14, 07:09 AM
Do remember that when you have a large contingent of teenage posters that lives and interest shift VERY quickly.

Some of these long time posters started when they were 12 or 14. And by 16, priorities can shift, massively.

Jibar
2007-08-14, 07:12 AM
How can you not notice the big changes?? Our leprachaun became a naga, our astronomer became a bathtub, our crazy anime fan girl now thinks Sasuke is cute instead of some whiny emo kid. These are huge changes.

Its even got the mods. Alarra is swinging a huge sword and our resident warrior has a sweater now. Its not right!! Madness!!

Madness?

This, is, Koalate Kingdom!

(:smalltongue: to all you who did the joke when the movie came out.)

Yes, there is a change in the boards, and unlike ChronicLunacy, we're not happy about it. Simply put, we liked it before. Smaller numbers is all the better.
It's not the wave of new posters that bothers me though. New people is good. It's just some of what they bring with them.
1. Site downtime
2. A forum.

Before this place was a home away from home, but on the internet. It wasn't like other places, it was a centre of learning and sophistication. Now, with more people it sort of loses that shine as we are proudly told that their colour is Blue and they're a satyr from every corner, as long as we're not online at 9:05am to 9:22am GMT when the site goes down.

Sorry, I'm whinging a little. I quit Random Banter a while ago when I first really sensed the changes, and I don't want to quit the whole forum when the changes get bigger.

Edit: Heh, funny you ask Serpy. I was considering asking you about it, in case I ever end up in Australia.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-14, 07:13 AM
The question is, are people openly stating that they're leaving in order to express their disapproval of recent board changes (image limitations, less recently post counts/Town/SMBG) or is it just the atmosphere change due to a sclae increase?

I'm just asking, so don't shoot the messenger please ;)

Lucky
2007-08-14, 07:22 AM
The question is, are people openly stating that they're leaving in order to express their disapproval of recent board changes (image limitations, less recently post counts/Town/SMBG) or is it just the atmosphere change due to a scale increase?While it's not solely due to a scale increase, I'm sure it's just the atmosphere change causes them to lose interest.

Serpentine
2007-08-14, 07:22 AM
Edit: Heh, funny you ask Serpy. I was considering asking you about it, in case I ever end up in Australia.
It's a date :smallwink:

Charity
2007-08-14, 07:23 AM
Cutting to the chase once more Ikkitosen?

The boards have changed a lot since I first arrived, but one thing hasn't changed, and thats folk going on about how much it's changed.. see now I'm at it.

Folk left back then too, As you well know you aged old duffer you. Some of them left quite publicly .. Where are you Beastie?
Some of them not so much, I'm looking at you Mal.
Thing is there is not a lot to be done about all this, things change, people change, accept it and move on.

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 07:26 AM
I still like the boards. Can I stay? Please?

Castaras
2007-08-14, 07:28 AM
The boards are changing.

So what? They're changing as all boards change. People leave, people come. That's the nature of these boards.

So what? I'm seeing changes, and I only really started posting in January. Some are for the better, some might be for the worse. All that really matters is the fact that these boards are all active, you've got intelligent conversations, and everyone here on the whole is a kind, clever bunch who come here because of a common interest.

I'm enjoying my time here, even though there are changes, and you're almost certainly not gonna get rid of me that easily. :smallwink:

Rawhide
2007-08-14, 07:29 AM
I still like the boards. Can I stay? Please?

Your application to remain has been filed and will get a response in 7-10 working days, assuming there are no issues with your application.

DraPrime
2007-08-14, 07:29 AM
It might just be coincidence. These people might be leaving for different reasons, but it just so happens at similar times. It's not really that improbable. They might just be getting bored. Eventually threads begin to repeat themselves. Forums can only get so entertaining. That's when they leave.

Om
2007-08-14, 07:31 AM
Anyone know to what degree old posters are more virtuous than newbies? I ask because I'm seeing a lot of 07s around here and I want to know just how superior my Oct 06 compares to them. Its a matter of knowing just how much I should lash out at newcomers for spoiling my internet paradise.

Lucky
2007-08-14, 07:33 AM
It might just be coincidence. These people might be leaving for different reasons, but it just so happens at similar times.Both Gezina and the Orange Zergling specifically mentioned the changing atmosphere as one of their reasons of departure.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-14, 07:35 AM
Cutting to the chase once more Ikkitosen?

I'm not big on beating around the bush *insert obligatory rude joke here*

I'm still here because I have little problem filtering out what I don't want to read and finding what I do. There are lots of posters (although I know few of them on a personal level) who have earned my respect and it would take a mass exodus of these unnamed elite to make me question my presence here.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is that I don't care who else is here, as long as good people are here too.

Yes Chaz, you're one of them :smallcool:

Anyone know to what degree old posters are more virtuous than newbies? I ask because I'm seeing a lot of 07s around here and I want to know just how superior my Oct 06 compares to them. Its a matter of knowing just how much I should lash out at newcomers for spoiling my internet paradise.

STOP SPOILING MY INTERNET PARADISE!!

Charity
2007-08-14, 07:48 AM
*inserts rude joke into Ikkies unbeaten bush*

Aw Shucks :smallredface:

I must confess there are a couple of guys off the D20 board that I miss, though they didn't exactly leave under their own steam.
I particularly miss He whom should not be named, who will write me up ToB encounters to whoop you all with? *sigh* Oh those halcion days of yore.
I even miss old Molonel, though I always did prefer intellect to social nicities ... does it show? :smallbiggrin:

Magioth
2007-08-14, 07:50 AM
maybe it just because its summer, i am personally getting out more and doing outdoor things while it still hot. The post rise will increase during winter.

Azrael
2007-08-14, 07:50 AM
It should be noted that this forum still holds true to it's nature and uniqueness in that throughout all of the recent (permanent) goodbyes that no one has advised those leaving not to let the door hit them on the way out.

Last_resort_33
2007-08-14, 07:53 AM

Can it... I was here 8 months before you and you have just ruined it... go back to the newbness from whence thou came..

In all seriousness, the stuff does change, I messed about with the town for a bit and then it just got huge and I was left dazed and confused. Homebrew and D20RPG forums don't change, and thats why I'm here. It's like a relationship, things are never going to be like they were on the first date... if you expect that, then you're going to be disappointed (and single), but after a few years it seems like it's a different person you love, but that's ok, cos it's still good, but for different reasons.[/soppy]

I don't mind people stating that they're leaving, some people do care to know.

banjo1985
2007-08-14, 07:53 AM
It should be noted that this forum still holds true to it's nature and uniqueness in that throughout all of the recent (permanent) goodbyes that no one has advised those leaving not to let the door hit them on the way out.

Good point well made :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, this forum has easily the most clever and all-round nice posters that I've seen on any board. Having said, that, seeing anyone get hit on the butt by anything is funny in my opinion!

Azrael
2007-08-14, 08:16 AM
Having said, that, seeing anyone get hit on the butt by anything is funny in my opinion!

... Don't tempt me.

bugsysservant
2007-08-14, 08:17 AM
Maybe I'm just a paradise destroying newcomer, but it seems to strike me as just a bit selfish to say "This is my intellectual, well rounded, and and pleasant forum, now STAY AWAY!" Maybe it really was nicer and more sophisticated previously, but I see plenty of intelligent posts and replies, and I have seen no truly rude posters. I'm terribly sorry to have joined, but it seems to me that if you wanted an internet home away from home which you could keep unspoiled and unchanged forever, there are social networks for that, not online forums. But then again, I am just an uppity forum ruiner.

Tom_Violence
2007-08-14, 08:19 AM
I can't say that I've noticed any change, apart from a surprising number of people throwing their toys out of the pram as they leave. (As an aside I'd be interested to know for how long after someone makes a "I'm gone for good" post do they keep checking to see who's written to them. It strikes me as a very odd thing to do, not unlike faking your own funeral in order to see what people have to say about you.) But then, 'Random Banter' gives me a headache, so maybe I never quite got into the whole 'clique' section here.

Jibar
2007-08-14, 08:19 AM
Oh don't worry, it's nothing personal. I just can't help but note a rise in posters and rather pointless threads.
Seeing the philosophy threads rise up filled with me with unabashed hunger and joy.

Charity
2007-08-14, 08:25 AM

Yes we have been remiss...

mudbunny
2007-08-14, 08:25 AM
Maybe I'm just a paradise destroying newcomer, but it seems to strike me as just a bit selfish to say "This is my intellectual, well rounded, and and pleasant forum, now STAY AWAY!" Maybe it really was nicer and more sophisticated previously, but I see plenty of intelligent posts and replies, and I have seen no truly rude posters. I'm terribly sorry to have joined, but it seems to me that if you wanted an internet home away from home which you could keep unspoiled and unchanged forever, there are social networks for that, not online forums. But then again, I am just an uppity forum ruiner.

<sarcasm>How cruel and mean of the mods to ruin the GitP forums. Paradise was here, and now it has been despoiled. However will I display my intelligence and wit without my signature or avatar??</sarcasm>

In all seriousness, some people just don't like change.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-14, 08:31 AM
You know what they say one persons sophistication is another persons fart joke.

Things go in cycles, newbies come, newbies get acclimated, get recognized, become part of 'regular crowd', and then leave.

There is nothing any different than has been going on. Just some people have newer perspectives, and different priorities on their time.

And also, anytime a change occurs, no matter how small, people won't like it, because it changed.

I for one welcome our new shorter signature masters.

Azrael
2007-08-14, 08:34 AM
Maybe I'm just a paradise destroying newcomer ...

Like in any cliche, overly dramatic breakup, it's not you. It's them. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Also, you might note that in the eyes of many of us, those leaving are actually pretty new. And I'm not even very old school. We bickered amongst ourselves about them when they were new. :smallsigh:

Rawhide
2007-08-14, 08:42 AM
I for one welcome our new shorter signature masters.

In Soviet Russia, signatures shorten you.

Zherog
2007-08-14, 09:08 AM

I came close once. Not sure why I deleted the text before posting it...

WampaX
2007-08-14, 09:16 AM
I came close once. Not sure why I deleted the text before posting it...

Because you are not bitter? <rimshot>

see . . . its a play on words, because of your avatar . . .

I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress.
:smalltongue:

Dhavaer
2007-08-14, 09:17 AM
I'm still here, and here I shall remain. Why? I'm lazy and easily satisfied.

Azrael
2007-08-14, 09:19 AM
Because you are not bitter?

Hmmm, dark & delicious Zherog ... Guinness! I mean delicious Guinness!

Catch
2007-08-14, 09:27 AM

For me, it's alway silent.

Generally, all the goodbyes seem to be made by veterans who can't handle the influx of newbies. They're clinging to their esoteric inside jokes and little social circles and get flustered when the new folk pop in and don't recognize their forum-celebrity status. The "I'm leaving" threads always seem to gripe about the Town, SMBG and such, which is exactly where these little forum cliques have developed. Since cane-shaking and histrionics hasn't gotten those damn kids off "their" lawn, the vets would rather leave in a huff and generate one last conflagration of drama and sympathy on their way out.

Cynical as it is, I can't seem to care. Forums change, and I've been part of enough to accept that as a fact of internet life. People just need to suck it up and more on. Time to hang up the wedding dress, Miss Havisham.

Dragor
2007-08-14, 09:31 AM
I haven't detected any change in atmosphere. I joined last Christmas, and it's been cozy. I don't know why everyone has decided to leave.

It's quite confusing.

Charity
2007-08-14, 09:43 AM
Nothing has changed go back to your pathetic existances.
http://weblogs.variety.com/photos/uncategorized/week_good_web.jpg

Jibar
2007-08-14, 09:43 AM
Like in any cliche, overly dramatic breakup, it's not you. It's them. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Also, you might note that in the eyes of many of us, those leaving are actually pretty new. And I'm not even very old school. We bickered amongst ourselves about them when they were new. :smallsigh:

It's funny to note that I've actually been here longer than Azzy, Rawhide and Charity.

So, apart from most the mods and a couple of the folks around here,

Get off ma lawn, ya damn youngens!

Artemician
2007-08-14, 09:44 AM
I haven't detected any change in atmosphere. I joined last Christmas, and it's been cozy. I don't know why everyone has decided to leave.

It's quite confusing.

It is the same for me.

People still start arguments about whether Wizards are overpowered. People still complain about the monk. People regularly start anime threads, which fade off after a few pages or so. And above all, people still talk intelligently, without snarkiness. Okay, so some posters whom I like were banned, but the atmosphere in these Forums is still largely the same as it was in that chilly mind-numbingly hot December morning when I joined.

Perhaps it is because the changes have occured in sections of the Board where we do not frequent? Areas like SMBG, the Town, RB.. areas which these people who leave frequent?

radishlaw
2007-08-14, 09:46 AM
I've roamed the forums, and there's little change to see
But maybe it's because, I see no one but me
<runs for cover>

banjo1985
2007-08-14, 09:53 AM
Perhaps it is because the changes have occured in sections of the Board where we do not frequent? Areas like SMBG, the Town, RB.. areas which these people who leave frequent?

Not really, at least not that I've noticed, though I have only been around 3 months or so. If anything, the only thing that's changed a bit has been the OotS section, where the speculation goes overboard and you get a hell of a lot more flaming etc.

Dhavaer
2007-08-14, 09:57 AM
The gaming boards seem to have moved away from point buy, although that's likely a product of the new forum roller. D&D also doesn't predominate as much as it used to.

Om
2007-08-14, 10:05 AM
If anything, the only thing that's changed a bit has been the OotS section, where the speculation goes overboard and you get a hell of a lot more flaming etc.That's a change?:smallwink:

Thes Hunter
2007-08-14, 10:06 AM
Not really, at least not that I've noticed, though I have only been around 3 months or so. If anything, the only thing that's changed a bit has been the OotS section, where the speculation goes overboard and you get a hell of a lot more flaming etc.

I rarely stick my heads into those forums because of it. But at the same time, I don't know how much of that has changed, since I didn't stick my head much into them early on in my existance here, in lurker or non-lurker mode.

However, I have been told that I was completely wrong in my speculation, because some other person's speculation has been PROVEN right!, in the Erfworld forum. (And of course, they were completely wrong as well, because it is all speculation)

And, I have found that some people who were some of the biggest 'n00bs' are now some of the ones who complain about the atmosphere changing the most. And n00bness is an attitude, and not a length of stay. You can have just joined and not be a n00b, or have been here years, and still be one. :smallwink:

Rawhide
2007-08-14, 10:08 AM
To paraphrase Thes:

n00bness is an attitude, not a way of life

Love it! :smallsmile:

Dhavaer
2007-08-14, 10:09 AM
Okay, what's up with the third page? And will this post end the confusion, thus rendering my question irrelevant?

Ikkitosen
Okay, what's up with the third page? And will this post end the confusion, thus rendering my question irrelevant?

Dunno, yes.

Azrael
Yes.

Wow, it's the new page bug, all over again.

Rawhide
2007-08-14, 10:10 AM
I saw no bug, worked all fine for me...

Jibar
2007-08-14, 10:13 AM
Yes.

Wow, it's the new page bug, all over again.

Ahhhh... now that takes me back.

There used be pages of Random Banter, devoted entirely to talking about the new page bug.
Good times. Gooood times.

Whenever I visit these forums, I'm always smiling, and I can never quite pinpoint one reason why.

Ahhh, you may have changed my tentacled friend, but you're still one bloody nice place to be GiTP.

Charity
2007-08-14, 10:15 AM
Check out the n00bs on that one!

Sorry couldn't resist... you know how it is.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n250/Ademasflow_2006/crossover_homer_bender_th-1.jpg

I'm so n00biliciously n00bile Rawrr

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-14, 10:17 AM
At least I know I'm not going anywhere. If I do, it'll have nothing to do with a changing forum. Friends are what keeps me here, not atmosphere (pity that one of them just decided to leave :smallfrown:).

Page bug? Where? *loads uzi* (Hope it still works...haven't needed it for about a year)

Charity
2007-08-14, 10:19 AM
I saw no bug, worked all fine for me.*shifty eyes*..

Burying your head in the sand won't make it go away.

banjo1985
2007-08-14, 10:20 AM

But it does give your hair a nice blonde sheen :smallbiggrin:

Rawhide
2007-08-14, 10:20 AM

Editing my quotes to say what I didn't say won't help either :smalltongue:.

Zherog
2007-08-14, 10:21 AM
But it does give your hair a nice blonde sheen

Yeah, but it also makes it easier for others to kick you in the ass...

mudbunny
2007-08-14, 10:22 AM
But it does give your hair a nice blonde sheen :smallbiggrin:

As the father of a 2-year old who enjoys rubbing her head in the sand, I can emphatically say that you are mistaken.

bugsysservant
2007-08-14, 10:23 AM

Mmmm...Dirt nap...*Drool*

Hmm, should probably cut back on my Simpsons viewings.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-14, 10:26 AM
I'm so n00biliciously n00bile Rawrr

Especially when you're me. :smallwink:

**edit** Ah yes, the topic.

See, it's still the same. Charity is still posting silly pictures, and He is still me, in a skirt.

Ego Slayer
2007-08-14, 10:27 AM
Am I going to have to Boogie the page bug away, again? :smalltongue:

I wanna start mentioning all those other awesome people who disappeared so long ago not many of you would remember them...:smalltongue: Erm, anyway, yeah... They've changed a lot. I liked it before... but I'm not going to leave either because y'know, I still love you guys. <3

Though, I must agree, Lucky just had the best three word answer ever. (*gives Lucky a cookie* I laughed... there is your reward.)

V: Oh it's not so bad. Do you have any idea how even I participated in derailing topics. You have no idea.:smallamused:

Artemician
2007-08-14, 10:30 AM
What has happened to the original topic?

I do not see any relevant discussion pertaining to the OP. Instead... this thread has turned into another Random Banter thread.

Correct my if I am wrong, but is this is what the people who left partook in? So.. they're leaving because this style of thread is going out of fashion?

*Refrains from further comment until prerequisite information is gathered*

Xykon_Fan
2007-08-14, 10:31 AM
To pull the conversation back to reality. I'd say the boards are dying. Now, before you only quote that one piece of my post and combat it, ultimately killing it with a scorpion-style spear move, then followed by pressing A repeatedly until you fall on the ground and hit B twice...and then when it stands back up, pressing B X X A and then A a lot more times...before you do that, I just qualify the boards dying as going down slightly in some quality in certain places. In this case, from what I've heard, the Town is apparently suffering slightly from an influx of people who aren't really RP-ing. Evidently it's caused some contention too...but I think the boards will be fine as soon as the new people learn how to adjust, and how we like things to be done around here.

@^: Don't be so critical. These have a tendency towards RB only once no one new has voiced an opinion. If you want to have it pulled back to the original topic, try posting something instead of joining in the RB by criticizing it.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-14, 10:33 AM
What has happened to the original topic?

I do not see any relevant discussion pertaining to the OP. Instead... this thread has turned into another Random Banter thread.

Correct my if I am wrong, but is this is what the people who left partook in? So.. they're leaving because this style of thread is going out of fashion?

*Refrains from further comment until prerequisite information is gathered*

*gives you a special "wink wink nudge nudge, a wink as a good as a nudge to a blind bat" wink*

Artemician
2007-08-14, 10:39 AM
To pull the conversation back to reality. I'd say the boards are dying. Now, before you only quote that one piece of my post and combat it, ultimately killing it with a scorpion-style spear move, then followed by pressing A repeatedly until you fall on the ground and hit B twice...and then when it stands back up, pressing B X X A and then A a lot more times...before you do that, I just qualify the boards dying as going down slightly in some quality in certain places. In this case, from what I've heard, the Town is apparently suffering slightly from an influx of people who aren't really RP-ing. Evidently it's caused some contention too...but I think the boards will be fine as soon as the new people learn how to adjust, and how we like things to be done around here.

A.. decrease in quality? Well, I don't personally frequent the Town, so I would not know about it. But when I stepped into it by accident, I was overwhelmed by the sheer size of that thing. So.. I suppose you could be right.

@^: Don't be so critical. These have a tendency towards RB only once no one new has voiced an opinion. If you want to have it pulled back to the original topic, try posting something instead of joining in the RB by criticizing it.

I posted that message because I'm seriously trying to find out why these people are leaving. Due to the fact that I do not post in these areas of the Forum, I would appreciate it if someone could clarify as to whether these people are indeed leaving due to acclimatisation to these "RB-style" threads, which I presume are dropping in quantity, which is what I guess from the final posts of Gezina and The Orange Zergling. But the things is, this is all conjecture on my part. I wish to find out if this is really what is happening.

*gives you a special "wink wink nudge nudge, a wink as a good as a nudge to a blind bat" wink*

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you mean.

banjo1985
2007-08-14, 10:48 AM
Well to be serious for a minute, yes there are a few areas of the board in which things seem to be sliding downhill in my opinion, these being the Town and the OotS area, for the reasons already pointed out above.

Do I think the forums dying or that the other parts are suffering because of it? No, I really don't, the Random Banter, Gaming and SMBG forums still keep me entertained for as long as I need and they are still frequented by good and insightful people.

So in short, no, I don't see why there seems to be an influx of posters deciding to leave.

sktarq
2007-08-14, 10:51 AM
I guess I've been here long enough to be snarky if I so chose to...I also was one of those people who left the boards for a time but came back after about 8-10 months. Has this place changed...you betcha. Do I like the changes? Some yes some no. When I joined custom avatars were only starting to make their pressence felt, sigs were generally short if they existed at all and people didn't seem to spend much time on their onscreen "appearence" as they do now-though cutting the visible post count was a good thing as some people got hooked on that as a way to seem more "active" or important. To a certain exent the boards have also broken up into more "sub forums" socially. I remember seeing more crossover between the social threads and Gaming threads than I see now which gives me all sorts of Balkanization metaphors to use. The way the site is overall organized and the closer monitoring of the mods are things I like. (When Grey Watcher, Gorbash, Lilly and Allarra were added things were starting to fray a bit and flames would last too long IMO).
Why do people leave with the changes on site. Pretty easy to me. It is not no much the fact they are bewailling change but that the things that madde them like the site are no longer there. Some people like small sites where they have time to learn about and recognize their fellow posters. Likely in knowing these posters better they can forgive them more "rudeness" or familiarity than a "noob". Some people just like smaller more deeply known social circles. I know I started totally ignoring FB when there were enough posters visiting it that checking on it once every couple days would take an hour-before it would stay on a topic for a couple days or a week...now you're lucky to get a couple hours. That thread now moves at a speed I don't want to keep up with...for some people they may have felt the enire boards become that way.

As a disclaimer I'll say why I left....My PbP games had shut down due to RW events and my main reason for being at the site (Tears of Blood) was moving off in a direction which I found I didn't WANT to help with. Our styles were diverging and I figured letting them create a good game their way was more helpful than trying to make the game all things to all people. I told people I was leaving in the Roll call for that section and later my PM's with another poster were put out there and explained...at the time I was probably posting more there than anyone else so I figured I explain my sudden absence. I couldn't imagine doing it here in RB....this part of the boards aren't 20-30 people strong like that was then.

Syka
2007-08-14, 11:08 AM
Yes, it changes. Forums change. One I used to visit (betwee 15-17, much less the last year), I left because, literally, all the people I roleplayed with had left. Whenever I would try and get into it (it was a free form chat site), I was essentially ignored or didn't want to play with the people. Most either had an established group, or could not type coherently. I still go back every 6 months or so, but everyone I'd be willing to play with is always OOC, and pretty much everyone IC is either lurking or can't type.

I don't think I'll leave here, unless I find it is affecting my real world preformance. The general quality of people here is vastly above normal, and in the two years I've been here I have not noticed the dramatic demographic shift that I noticed with the other site. Whenever I've seen someone posting in a manner that was fairly illegible, the matter was taken care of. And the forumites care to help those who do not speak English as a first language. I recently returned after a 8 month leave from PbP and I'm not noticing much of a difference there either.

People come and go. Life intervenes. Some people just don't like change. But I think most of the reasons I've seen people leaving for don't have much to do with the site itself, other than maybe it eats up too much time. ;)

As for announcing your leave, I think I would if I was planning on leaving for a while. There are too many people I interact with on here for whom I do not have the contact information for, and too many to PM them all. So, I'd just like to give people a heads up so they know I'm still alive and kicking. :)

Cheers,
Syka...can't believe she's been hanging around the Playground for 2 years come late Sept...

Charity
2007-08-14, 11:14 AM
I posted that message because I'm seriously trying to find out why these people are leaving. Due to the fact that I do not post in these areas of the Forum, I would appreciate it if someone could clarify as to whether these people are indeed leaving due to acclimatisation to these "RB-style" threads, which I presume are dropping in quantity, which is what I guess from the final posts of Gezina and The Orange Zergling. But the things is, this is all conjecture on my part. I wish to find out if this is really what is happening.

Er if you wanna know why they are leaving, ask them in er their leaving threads, I would imagine that would net you the results you are looking for.
Gez loves a bit 'O' banterTM so I doubt thats it. If this thread stayed strictly on topic, there would have been no need for anything but that really... and it might have been a bit dull, but luckily for you we have added some sparkles for you *sprinkles on more sparkles*

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you mean. That would be a Monty Python reference me old china.
I can speak for Thes or indeed vica versa, as we are one and the same entity... though I do have better legs for skirts.

Gaelbert
2007-08-14, 11:16 AM
I joined in late March and lurked for a month before I actually started posting. I basically stayed in the Oots section for a month and a half or so before realizing that there were more sub-forums that would hold my interest. I remember when the comics starting coming in late more often and the boards were going down every time one came out, the Oots section went up in flames. Some people got banned, some good posters left, and then... it calmed down again. I don't really check out the Oots section anymore, for some undefinable reason, but it seems like the Oots subforum troubles was scaled down in size, and scaled up in intensity model of this board. But, I still consider myself a newb anyways, so you don't have to listen to me. Although, since I put that at the end, you probably read everything anyways.

Artemician
2007-08-14, 11:28 AM
Er if you wanna know why they are leaving, ask them in er their leaving threads, I would imagine that would net you the results you are looking for.

Ah.. but the problem with that is the simple fact that, well, those threads are announcements that they're leaving. And if they're leaving.. they can't really reply, can they?

Gez loves a bit 'O' banterTM so I doubt thats it. If this thread stayed strictly on topic, there would have been no need for anything but that really... and it might have been a bit dull, but luckily for you we have added some sparkles for you *sprinkles on more sparkles*

That would be a Monty Python reference me old china.
I can speak for Thes or indeed vica versa, as we are one and the same entity... though I do have better legs for skirts.

I regret to say that I am, again, clueless. Perhaps it is due to my non-British background. Perhaps it is due to my age. Suffice to say that I, as they called it, know nuts about obscure cultural references and such. In my presence, they are imbued with the gift of flight, and fly over my head.

Now, to get back to the original topic, I agree with coolgaelbert about the OotS forums. Well.. they're pretty much a mess right now, I agree. But the other sections.. well, they still seem pretty much the same to me.

But I'm reading what other people post.. and I'm starting to think that maybe the Forums really have changed, from back then, just that I didn't notice it. As I said earlier, this could be due to me not frequenting the sections of the boards that did change. The Town.. Random Banter, SMBG.. who knows what goes on there? They are as alien as the other side of the moon to me.

But these informational posts are going a long way towards enlightening this little child's head as to what people think, and why. Thanks for that, people.

Kitya
2007-08-14, 11:31 AM
I am kind of one of those new peoples that joined in this recent influx, but I'd like to think I'm not a noob. I admit, I originally joined thinking it would be nice to be able to discuss the actual OoTS comic strip, but after 2 days in that area, I gave that up as a bad job. I enjoy coming to the Discussion areas and I've been enjoying my time here. I don't have a "special" av so I can't really participate in any of the av games everyone plays. I'd like to, but I haven't really come up with an idea of what kind of av I would like for here.

As for the mass leavings, It's a cyclical thing. I have rp'd in a chat room for about 8 years now, and we've just had another mass exodus. While it is disheartening to see people you've come to care about leave, all but a couple of them had real, solid, rt reasons as to why they were leaving. The other two left cuz they got caught doing something wrong and didn't like getting their hands slapped. *shrugs*It just always seems that once one person posts that they're going to have to leave for rt reasons, others suddenly chime in, like, they've been wanting to leave for awhile, but didn't want to be the first person to say so.

This may be the case here, several people, not liking the way things have changed, but not wanting to be the original person to "rock the boat" by leaving, but as soon as someone else does, then they'll jump onboard because THEY didn't say it first, so it's ok. However, most of the goodbye threads I've seen have stated that they're having to leave for rt reasons. So it's kind of like in my chat room. Many leaving for real solid, understandable reasons, and a few leaving cuz they're being shirty. Just wait, many of them will be back in a few months. *chuckles*

PS: Charity, I showed your LUVERLY picture of Darth Vader in pink to Hubby, and his response was, "Wow... I guess Darth really has gone over to the dark side now." I LOVES it!! *laffs*

SurlySeraph
2007-08-14, 11:39 AM
I lurked for a couple months before joining. I think I'm recent enough to count as part of the change - but things were different right when I joined. There are many, many more people around (as far as I can tell) than when I first joined, people aren't quite as friendly as they used to be (I admit that I'm part of this problem, I need to work on being less hostile to people who disagree with me), and we've got a lot more people who write in 1337 and/or don't know how spelling and punctuation work and/or don't pay attention to anyone else, are disruptive, are annoying, are sexist/homophobic/whatever, etc. Still, the problems seem mostly limited to the OoTS forum, and GiTPers overall are still the most civilized, intelligent forum-goers I've ever found. Besides, unpleasant people don't tend to last long here. Either they improve their behavior to fit in with the rest of the community, or they leave. I'm confident that the changes will fix themselves.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-08-14, 11:39 AM
Other then the problems with the Town, OOTS, and RB, which have already been mentioned, I've noticed a gradual increase in people who think this is a chat room, and thus post every five seconds asking why nobody has responded yet. For the most part, these people stop -- or just completely stop posting at all -- when they are told to, though, so that isn't as bad as many of the other changes.

Dragonrider
2007-08-14, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of '07 posters and realizing that I've been around here eight months and I'm an '06 (barely :smallbiggrin:), and not "new" anymore. I confess that some "pixie" posts do annoy me when they haven't quite got the rhythm of the boards down yet, but they'll grow out of it. (:smallbiggrin: Aww, aw da wittle pixies is gwowing up so fast...)

I know I'm sticking around a while (although my posting frequency will be dropping off as school starts :smalltongue:). It's a pretty awesome place to be.

Maerdred
2007-08-14, 11:52 AM
And n00bness is an attitude, and not a length of stay. You can have just joined and not be a n00b, or have been here years, and still be one. :smallwink:

I like the idea that though I have been here less than 2 weeks, I may not be a no0b..

Oh who am I kidding? I was never a n0ob.

zeratul
2007-08-14, 11:55 AM
It's like when a bunch of small towners get there town turned into a city, and it's just not the same. Even I Who joined only six months or so ago, remember a simpler time. There used to be way fewer people, RB had a different feel to it, as did the other threads.

Dugray
2007-08-14, 11:55 AM
*Shrugs* I joined ages ago and don't really care about any perceived changes.

Marek
2007-08-14, 11:56 AM
Believe me, an influx of new users is not bad, and may actually revive faltering boards in some cases. But beware, for if the population explosion is not controlled, we shall suffer the fate of one of my once-favorite boards, Flat Earth Games. What happened, you ask? We were placed under siege by sign-up bots and 1-4 post noobs, and though the admins and moderators tried desperately, we eventually succumbed. The fate of our beloved site?

This monstrosity (http://www.flatearth.com/)

Prepare to go down the rabbit hole.

zeratul
2007-08-14, 11:58 AM
Believe me, an influx of new users is not bad, and may actually revive faltering boards in some cases. But beware, for if the population explosion is not controlled, we shall suffer the fate of one of my once-favorite boards, Flat Earth Games. What happened, you ask? We were placed under siege by sign-up bots and 1-4 post noobs, and though the admins and moderators tried desperately, we eventually succumbed. The fat of our beloved site?

Yey, behold as our beloved playground is turned into a delicious, and neutricious snack food sold for only $.99.(:smalltongue: )

Vonriel
2007-08-14, 12:02 PM
People, people, people! It's the Friendly Banter forum, and Random Banter is the thread! Sheesh.

I really have nothing to add to the discussion, save that...

Om
2007-08-14, 12:03 PM
Even I Who joined only six months or so ago, remember a simpler time. There used to be way fewer people, RB had a different feel to it, as did the other threads.Why is it that everyone is convinced that they joined right at the end of some golden age or "simpler time"? You didn't.

zeratul
2007-08-14, 12:05 PM
Why is it that everyone is convinced that they joined right at the end of some golden age or "simpler time"? You didn't.

I meant no offense. Just MHO, it seems different to me.

Gaelbert
2007-08-14, 12:12 PM
Believe me, an influx of new users is not bad, and may actually revive faltering boards in some cases. But beware, for if the population explosion is not controlled, we shall suffer the fate of one of my once-favorite boards, Flat Earth Games. What happened, you ask? We were placed under siege by sign-up bots and 1-4 post noobs, and though the admins and moderators tried desperately, we eventually succumbed. The fate of our beloved site?

You're kidding, right?:smalleek:

Evil_Pacifist
2007-08-14, 12:26 PM
I regret to say that I am, again, clueless. Perhaps it is due to my non-British background. Perhaps it is due to my age. Suffice to say that I, as they called it, know nuts about obscure cultural references and such. In my presence, they are imbued with the gift of flight, and fly over my head.

Nah, they're on a wire.

Marek
2007-08-14, 12:26 PM
You're kidding, right?:smalleek:

You don't know how much I wish that I was. Near the end, we gathered our Admins, Moderators, and old-schoolers (those who had not left in disgust), and enacted a desperate plan: destroy our beloved site and regroup at a later site. We had no choice, as the noobs joined faster than the mods could take them out, and about two weeks later, the site was sold and we had regrouped at a new site, Here (http://talespinner.proboards74.com/index.cgi). Unfortunately, we never got the spark back, and the new site is being left neglected. Heed my prophcy, great ones, and act before we have no other options left!

bosssmiley
2007-08-14, 12:49 PM
Why is it that everyone is convinced that they joined right at the end of some golden age or "simpler time"? You didn't.

Amen Om (no pun intended).

So we're having some bandwidth hassles. *Meh* I like the people here (& OOTS of course) enough to live with that. :smallsigh:

Don't know everyone on the boards? Fine by me; I'll stick with getting to know the people whose posts are good/funny/mad enough to stand out from the crowd. :smallwink:
(Hi D'anna)
Too many new posters? How is it a bad thing that something all of us here enjoy is popular? Or are you so indoctrinated by nerdish "popular = bad" pseudo-elitism you can't stand to win for wanting to be an alienated loser? :smallconfused:

Threads get like RB? Do you not know the rule about any thread on the Internet being able to go off-topic within 5-6 posts? :smalleek:
(want *really* random? try /b/, then cri moar)
Death of the forums? *pffffft* My beshelled eggy behind! That'll happen the day RAWBear gets really drunk and pours 2 litres of Mountain Dew into the server (coz that's how he rolls). Not before. :smallamused:
(although I would pay *serious* dinero to be there when it finally does happen)
Now if you'll excuse me. The smileys and I are off to bother our forum buddies some more. :smalltongue:

WampaX
2007-08-14, 12:56 PM

I did.
It was pretty simple when I joined up.
Tumbleweeds were a high art form back then.
:smallwink:

Alyorbase
2007-08-14, 01:09 PM
Before I recently registered I lurked around for awhile, to try and see how everything ran and what the people were like. I joined to start trying to add something to the OOTS forum but like many have said, it's not really fun. I do however like the Random section along with the gaming section.

And since I am a newer user, I will take this time to say that if I have done something to offend anyone I do apologize. I mostly just come here because it's a nice break from work during a long work day.:smallsmile:

I do love posting here in these forums, and it is a great place.:smallbiggrin:

SDF
2007-08-14, 01:10 PM

Silverage is always better anyhow. Heck I'm old enough (read: young enough) to remember a time before the internet! It's like that Lennon song Imagine, I wonder if you can.

I can't see myself leaving anytime soon... I mean I can I just wont. I'll probably get mighty scarce come school in the fall, but I'll be around, I think this place helps with my sanity :smalltongue: I'm too much of a B personality introvert to not drop in now and then, no matter how busy I am.

The Great Skenardo
2007-08-14, 01:11 PM
Heh. I may miss a few of the vanished posters, and I may dislike some of the new people that have joined, but believe me when I say that this forum is still one of the best out there.

Rob Knotts
2007-08-14, 01:17 PM
maybe it just because its summer, i am personally getting out more and doing outdoor things while it still hot. The post rise will increase during winter.Also keep in mind that, as least for the U.S., the school year is starting up again (I'm going back in less than a week). Boards usually go through some sort of transition leading up to and right after the school year starts.
n00bness is an attitude, not a way of lifeI had the n00bness beaten out of me waybackwhen during my "Shogun Warrior" days on the WotC boards:smallamused:

Xerillum
2007-08-14, 01:34 PM
I've been here since the Town started, and I've noticed a change in the atmosphere since then. In the past few months, you can't scroll down without someone broadcasting to the world that they're the Grand Poobah of the Toaster fan-club. We get the point, people! And also, when I came, this place wasn't better or worse, it was just different. Not all new posters are bad, but the n00bs, the l334 speakers, and the people who have to post a new thread to learn how to color their sentences are getting really, really annoying.

FdL
2007-08-14, 01:58 PM
Well, as people have said, forums change. Because there's people, many people in them, and people change and come and go. That's life. Now, forums reflect this.

I wasn't here in the supposed Golden Age of the forums. I like it, here and now, and I keep coming because of that. I usually don't like that "pioneers" vs. "noobies" attitude, because it's not worth crap in the internet. I never really look at post counts when reading someone's comment, in fact, I like it in this forum that you don't have the number or bells & whistles/merit badges for posting. And I can never remember the scale.

So I guess if someone feels uncomfortable, feels it's no longer funny, or their place or feels invaded by new waves of people, well, it's their right to leave if they want to. But IMHO it's their loss. And of those who like them around, even who haven't met them yet.

Also, I agree with Serpentine's post. I don't know what the fuss is to announce that you're leaving. It's a bit too dramatic and pointless. Unless it's related to some RL (or in-forum) issue that forces you to leave, indefinitely or for some time. But yeah, I was thinking about this and I don't see the point in doing it other than calling people's attention.

In all, the very mention of this topic is annoying me right now.

zeratul
2007-08-14, 02:04 PM
Also, I agree with Serpentine's post. I don't know what the fuss is to announce that you're leaving. It's a bit too dramatic and pointless. Unless it's related to some RL (or in-forum) issue that forces you to leave, indefinitely or for some time. But yeah, I was thinking about this and I don't see the point in doing it other than calling people's attention.

In all, the very mention of this topic is annoying me right now.

Well it helps to notify everyone so that you don't have everyone going "Hey what happened to ____", and also for people who had lots of friends on the forum it's an easy way to let them all know.

PhoeKun
2007-08-14, 02:17 PM

I think on some level its an attempt at courtesy. There are a number of people on these boards of whom I am fond, and even if I don't talk to most of them as much as I probably should, I'd still prefer they knew why it was I was leaving if I left. Not that I'm going to. Of course, in my case I would probably just PM the people I wanted to know, but some people have rather large circles of friends, and that might not be practical.

But that's only one part of the probable equation. To read the latest slew of goodbyes, there seems to be a fair amount of resentment towards the changing nature of the boards. And believe me, there are changes. The biggest thing I've noticed is that many threads move much more quickly than they used to, which hurts my ability to participate in/enjoy them. At any rate, the resentment is showing itself as forum vets leave and take one last public stab at what they see as the problem. Whether or not this is justified is something I'll leave up to the individual.

I'm as prone to a stroll down memory lane as anyone, but I think on the whole, I think things have improved. I just wish I had been here in time for the heydays of WampaX and his tumbleweeds...

Deepblue706
2007-08-14, 02:32 PM
Heh. I may miss a few of the vanished posters, and I may dislike some of the new people that have joined, but believe me when I say that this forum is still one of the best out there.

Definitely one of the best forums.

I don't really miss many of the people who left, though. There was a fair deal of them I never bothered acknowledging, ever. I even doubt some existed to begin with.

There's a handful of people who got banned, though, who I miss. They were fun.

With all these newcomers, however, I'm sure I'll find more pleasing folk. Some show promise. The only down-side seems to be that the OOC/Recruitment Thread in the PbP section is filled with Level 1 nonsense. Far too many level 1 games going on. Shut up, I know my game started at level 1 - but I did it before it was cool. That makes me ultra cool and everyone else L-7 weenies, and the board grants me special rights to belittle them. Not really. But I wish.

As long as these whippersnappers don't pollute the air with their rock and roll "music" and drive over 35 mph, I'll be satisfied.

Lucky
2007-08-14, 02:36 PM
Dramatic and pointless? Some of us have made friends here, and would just leave the country for good without telling any of your friends in real life? I doubt it, so what's the matter with telling them here? I have never been one to post threads when I leave for awhile, didn't do when I left for a week awhile ago, didn't do it when I went to the West Coast for 3 weeks just last month, but if I was leaving for good, or for what might possibly be for good, I would certainly post a thread about it.

Though, I must agree, Lucky just had the best three word answer ever. (*gives Lucky a cookie* I laughed... there is your reward.)Man... That cookie's so far away... :smallannoyed:

Vonriel
2007-08-14, 02:45 PM
You know, it's like Lucky said. It'll keep people from wondering a week, month, two months, however long after the person leaves why they left or where they went. For some people, a simple PM to those few who would care is all that they feel they need, for others who realize there are simply too many for that or who are afraid of forgetting someone, they make a public statement. I think, for some, it's nice to see why, and good to be able to get in a last "goodbye".

Gaelbert
2007-08-14, 02:46 PM
With all these newcomers, however, I'm sure I'll find more pleasing folk. Some show promise. The only down-side seems to be that the OOC/Recruitment Thread in the PbP section is filled with Level 1 nonsense. Far too many level 1 games going on. Shut up, I know my game started at level 1 - but I did it before it was cool. That makes me ultra cool and everyone else L-7 weenies, and the board grants me special rights to belittle them. Not really. But I wish.

I agree. I think all campaigns should start out (http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z270/coolcalbert/What9000.jpg). I've been dying to use that. Anyways, low levels is a good way to start people out at D&D. Once people get more accustomed to the game, then the campaigns will start out at higher levels. Except for the next wave of new people, who will start at level one. And on and on and on.

SteveMB
2007-08-14, 02:55 PM
The "I'm leaving" threads always seem to gripe about the Town, SMBG and such, which is exactly where these little forum cliques have developed. Since cane-shaking and histrionics hasn't gotten those damn kids off "their" lawn, the vets would rather leave in a huff and generate one last conflagration of drama and sympathy on their way out.
That may be why I happened upon this thread and clicked on it to find out what the boop it's talking about. I haven't noticed anything in particular "happening" to the boards, at least not the ones I spend most of my time on (OotS, Erfworld and to a lesser extent the others in the "Comics" section). Maybe there's more of a cultural upheaval (if that's not too pretentious a way to put it) going on in the Town and SMBG sections.

Trog
2007-08-14, 02:58 PM
I'm as prone to a stroll down memory lane as anyone, but I think on the whole, I think things have improved. I just wish I had been here in time for the heydays of WampaX and his tumbleweeds...

Shouldn't it have been something snow related? Seems more "Wampa-ish". Avalanches? Nah, too grand. Icicles falling? Hmmm... That'll might work.

And everyone should really remember that once upon a time they were the new one and annoyed everyone else. Stick around and you can become a fixture... who annoys everyone else. Like me. See what you have to look forward to? :smalltongue:

zeratul
2007-08-14, 03:00 PM
Shouldn't it have been something snow related? Seems more "Wampa-ish". Avalanches? Nah, too grand. Icicles falling? Hmmm... That'll might work.

And everyone should really remember that once upon a time they were the new one and annoyed everyone else. Stick around and you can become a fixture... who annoys everyone else. Like me. See what you have to look forward to? :smalltongue:

Trog don't remind me of those times, I'm trying to blot those from my memory.:smalltongue:

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 03:08 PM

Maybe some falling meteors, or imperial sensor drones?

Malic
2007-08-14, 03:15 PM
I noticed it too and sadly I'm just another one of the people causing the problem. It's a shame but meh. Nothing you can do about it really. Aside from killing all the new members. Or romote self differences to make everyone stand out. For instance I alway's use the confused face on top of my posts. Not because I'm confused, but because it looks neat.

Om
2007-08-14, 03:19 PM
Maybe some falling meteors, or imperial sensor drones?I feel obliged to point out that all of these tend to contradict the very purpose of evoking tumbleweed...

zeratul
2007-08-14, 03:20 PM
I noticed it too and sadly I'm just another one of the people causing the problem. It's a shame but meh. Nothing you can do about it really. Aside from killing all the new members. Or romote self differences to make everyone stand out. For instance I alway's use the confused face on top of my posts. Not because I'm confused, but because it looks neat.

I don't think They have a problem with new poeple in general. Just especially newbish, leet speaking, or annoying ones. Certain new people have done very well. I remember when D'anna Beirs was that dude who people thought was related to me, now he's acheived a cult status of sorts on the forum it would seem, theres hope for the newbies :smallsmile: .

sktarq
2007-08-14, 03:21 PM

"Simpler" it was in my case....there were no sub forums...SMBG and FB were the smushed together OOC/IC/Recruiting was a mess there where only 50 or so different avatars, sigs were rare, fewer mods and they were totally overstretched and often unavalible for a day or so, you only had pixie dwarf barbarian and ogres (with stars and exact post count)....simpler you better believe it....Easier to use or better back then. Nope. admittedly I lurked for a couple months just to learn ettiquette here people have always been nice overall in fact there were nicer when I came back to the boards about 10-12 months ago than when I first got here which may be why so many 06's feel something has changed for the worse the natural friendliness cycles were peaking then.

Logic
2007-08-14, 03:21 PM
When I first joined, I got the "Pixies are changing the boards for the worse!" attitude.

I honestly don't like that the Town has died (even though I only posted there maybe 12 times, but it was still a landmark to me.)

Friendly banter doesn't seem to have changed, except for the faces, which I don't mind that. New friends are still friends, and there are few people that frequent Friendly banter that I do not value their input.

Ikkitosen
2007-08-14, 03:41 PM
I did.
It was pretty simple when I joined up.
Tumbleweeds were a high art form back then.
:smallwink:

That and Rich organising his RL gaming sessions on the boards. That was back when I was a lurker...

Arameus
2007-08-14, 03:41 PM
More people joined? Essentially, and I can't say I'm not one of them. And yet I don't feel as though I'm to blame for anything, whether or not it's the truth. Hence, the famous demotivator,

"No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood."

SurlySeraph
2007-08-14, 03:45 PM
I don't think They have a problem with new poeple in general. Just especially newbish, leet speaking, or annoying ones. Certain new people have done very well. I remember when D'anna Beirs was that dude who people thought was related to me, now he's acheived a cult status of sorts on the forum it would seem, theres hope for the newbies :smallsmile: .

Ayuh, that happens. I remember when Mr. Pixie first joined, he created about 30 - 45 topics within his first few hours, about a quarter of which made sense. But now he's settled down and is making valuable contributions to the community, especially in the Arts and Crafts thread. Like I said before, it's hard for unpleasant people to stay here. Either they change for the better or they just stop posting.

Trog
2007-08-14, 03:46 PM
Maybe some falling meteors, or imperial sensor drones?

Or TaunTaun mating calls in the distance perhaps.

Jibar
2007-08-14, 03:54 PM
Or TaunTaun mating calls in the distance perhaps.

"Eeeeyaaaaak. Eeeeeeyaaaaak. Eeeeeyaaaaak."

Points for reference.

I remember when you first showed up Trog. Walking around with your third person.

Ya know, the board really has changed. Some for the better, some for the worse. Mostly for the better for me. Come on everybody, group hug! I'm emotional and need output people! Hug me!

Zar Peter
2007-08-14, 03:56 PM
* Gnome Hug *

But that should be in the SMBG :smallbiggrin:

SurlySeraph
2007-08-14, 03:57 PM
*armored hug for Jibar*

Steel plates aren't exactly soft and cuddly, but it's the thought that counts.

PhoeKun
2007-08-14, 04:07 PM

Points for reference.

I remember when you first showed up Trog. Walking around with your third person.

Ya know, the board really has changed. Some for the better, some for the worse. Mostly for the better for me. Come on everybody, group hug! I'm emotional and need output people! Hug me!

Hooray! Muffin hugs!

You know, I remember the days when there were no cat-muffins. There weren't even any muffins. Boy, those were strange times. Things sure have changed, all right.

Chunklets
2007-08-14, 04:11 PM
* Scaly orange hug for Jibar *

On the topic at hand, I don't come out of my lair in SMBG very often, but I haven't noticed a real decline in the atmosphere of the boards. Sure, some people of gone, or are MIA at the moment, and some of those folks I miss very much. However, there have also been some excellent newcomers in the past little while.

I will say that I have hung around longer on this board than on any other message board I've participated in (WoTC, EnWorld, and a couple of others), which is a testament to the excellentness of the people on here!

Lucky
2007-08-14, 04:11 PM
I noticed it too and sadly I'm just another one of the people causing the problem.Except it's not a problem. It's change, you're causing a change. Sure, some people don't adjust to the change, we can't help that, but saying it's a bad thing or a problem is just foolish. It's like what I said to Zar Peter, except much less sarcastically: we can't change the fact that things will change, and we all knew that when we signed up.

Shadow
2007-08-14, 04:12 PM
Truth be told, this was my first ever registered forum.
I just never understood the whole "message board thing."
At all.

I was a huge fan of OotS.
But then I got bored one day and started lurking.
And then I dicovered the Werewolf games in SMBG.
I had to register. I knew that I'd love them as much as I do.

After, I joined a random few other forums, but I have to tell you that they all suck.
People are mean and/or stupid nd/or immature.
As much as this board should be more immature (from the wide age range we have here) it isn't.
That's a credit to the admin and mods.

I still don't post anywhere else.
At all.

And that is the story of Shadow.

zeratul
2007-08-14, 04:15 PM
Truth be told, this was my first ever registered forum.
I just never understood the whole "message board thing."
At all.

I was a huge fan of OotS.
But then I got bored one day and started lurking.
And then I dicovered the Werewolf games in SMBG.
I had to register. I knew that I'd love them as much as I do.

After, I joined a random few other forums, but I have to tell you that they all suck.
People are mean and/or stupid nd/or immature.
As much as this board should be more immature (from the wide age range we have here) it isn't.
That's a credit to the admin and mods.

I still don't post anywhere else.
At all.

And that is the story of Shadow.

Hey hey, give youreself and the other forum goers some credit as well though. I mean it's a simple equation

great mods + great admin + great people = great forum

Shadow
2007-08-14, 04:17 PM
Hey hey, give youreself and the other forum goers some credit as well though. I mean it's a simple equation

great mods + great admin + great people = great forum

Point taken.
Thank you.

And thank all of you for being pleasant when the rest of the world isn't. :biggrin:

Vonriel
2007-08-14, 04:18 PM

Points for reference.

*hugs the catmuffin, then takes the rolled up Skymall magazine away from him* No more animal impressions. :smallannoyed:

At least, I think that was the movie. *shrug* Anywho, I think all the possible coverable points have been covered. I do have to wonder why some people would rather leave than try to change with the change.

Zar Peter
2007-08-14, 04:19 PM
Shadow's story is nearly mine, replace Werewolf - Games with the whole SMBG and first forum with second, all the other stuff is identical here.

And the people are all great here.

Lucky
2007-08-14, 04:21 PM
And thank all of you for being pleasant when the rest of the world isn't. :biggrin:I am so tempted to push you face first into the sandbox right now. It's actually quite hard to resist.

Shadow
2007-08-14, 04:23 PM
Are you in Camp-Sleeps-a-Lot?
Everyone wants to push me around there.
It's fun!

Vonriel
2007-08-14, 04:23 PM
But you see, Lucky, all one has to do is give you a good old fashioned *punt*, and you're no longer a threat. :smallamused:

Lucky
2007-08-14, 04:26 PM
But you see, Lucky, all one has to do is give you a good old fashioned *punt*, and you're no longer a threat. :smallamused:
But that is where you are MISTAKEN! For I have taken on a new form, a non-puntable one at that.

Calamity
2007-08-14, 04:29 PM
I personally don't see what all the fuss is about. I like the fact that there are newcomers nearly every day. I remember when certain members of the board were just starting out, but they made amazing contributions to Arts and Crafts.

Why is it that everything I post sounds a lot better in my head?

zeratul
2007-08-14, 04:30 PM
All we have to do now, is yell "Watch out someone from Animal planet's gonna try to wrangle you!", and you will no longer be a threat:smallamused: .

Shadow
2007-08-14, 04:31 PM
Why is it that everything I post sounds a lot better in my head?
You must be channeling Ink.

It's getting contagious, I tell you!
Contagious!

Tom_Violence
2007-08-14, 04:52 PM
Someone said that threads around here move too fast to keep up with. In hours this one has exploded to a good 5 pages. And I dare say its not just new people posting here.

Coincidence?!

Calamity
2007-08-14, 04:56 PM
Someone said that threads around here move too fast to keep up with. In hours this one has exploded to a good 5 pages. And I dare say its not just new people posting here.

Coincidence?!

Actually that''s another thing I like about these boards, the pace is faster than any other board I've ever seen. Replies take minutes, even seconds, opposed to the ofen days of other boards.

FdL
2007-08-14, 05:11 PM
I'm not saying that I don't like the part of people saying goodbye to their friends. It only makes sense. The dramatic part of it is the public announcement of "I'm leaving to never return because...".

Most of the time it looks more like someone is trying to make a point about their reasons for leaving, which might still be valid. Or a last attempt to see how much people will miss them.

I don't know, I don't think you can leave the internet. Leaving aside special situations. That's why the "I'm leaving the country and say bye to my friends" analogy is not so accurate. Still, I understand the feelings and motivations behind this, it's just that it's more dramatic than the situation needs.

Lucky
2007-08-14, 05:14 PM
I don't know, I don't think you can leave the internet. Leaving aside special situations. That's why the "I'm leaving the country and say bye to my friends" analogy is not so accurate. Still, I understand the feelings and motivations behind this, it's just that it's more dramatic than the situation needs.Sure it is. Don't look at it like the internet represents the country, look at like a forum represents a country.

Calamity
2007-08-14, 05:15 PM
Sure it is. Don't look at it like the internet represents the country, look at like a forum represents a country.

And the Internet represents the world. Which is why you can't leave! Unless you're a cyberastronaut

tannish2
2007-08-14, 05:19 PM
well. more people means more stupid. even if their all genuises, the amount of stupid in the room seems to rise with the number of people in it. so there need to be rules to try and stop stupid, but some rules also stop good things, or are just inconvenient for anyone of any intelligence

and really, people suck, the fewer the better. but theres really no way to stop this, anything that gets popular gets less fun. or more expensive to the point where its just ridiculous. (see: coffee pre and post popularity 50 cents with refill to 3 dollars for a small, 5 dollars for a shot, or healthy or organic foods.... or any number of things, at least as a forum its not getting all commercialy)

o and us 1337 speaking n00bs shall commit pwninationynessositynessisming on u!!!! MWAHAHAHAHA im thinking settting on fire with our minds whos with me?

Zar Peter
2007-08-14, 05:19 PM
I'm not saying that I don't like the part of people saying goodbye to their friends. It only makes sense. The dramatic part of it is the public announcement of "I'm leaving to never return because...".

Most of the time it looks more like someone is trying to make a point about their reasons for leaving, which might still be valid. Or a last attempt to see how much people will miss them.

I don't know, I don't think you can leave the internet. Leaving aside special situations. That's why the "I'm leaving the country and say bye to my friends" analogy is not so accurate. Still, I understand the feelings and motivations behind this, it's just that it's more dramatic than the situation needs.

But maybe the people need it. They reached a point where they couldn't go further. And they were involved, they once loved the place and now they leave it because the love has gone.
It's like a funeral, you have to realise for yourself that you don't want to come back and state it. And with the statement you made it really the end for yourself. (That's not said that you sometimes in the future change your mind).
Sometimes people have to state their opinion to get sure about it.

smellie_hippie
2007-08-14, 05:20 PM
Are you in Camp-Sleeps-a-Lot?
Everyone wants to push me around there.
It's fun!

That's because O'Thadow Thinks he Ruleths... :smallamused:

Back on topic... people come, people go. If we don't get a fresh perspective with n00bs (and I feel that being my age, I'm not allowed to use words like that) than the forums would become a stagnant place of the same old jokes amongst the same old people. If you don't have the new clashing with the old, and the old griping about the new... this place would become boring!

Ever listen to a conversation of old fart jokes? :smallfrown:

Lucky
2007-08-14, 05:23 PM
well. more people means more stupid. even if their all genuises, the amount of stupid in the room seems to rise with the number of people in it. so there need to be rules to try and stop stupid, but some rules also stop good things, or are just inconvenient for anyone of any intelligenceYou sir, are terribly pessimistic.

The good news is you can often tell the stupid people apart from the smart ones by their spelling and grammar...

Oh... This is awkward.

Shadow
2007-08-14, 05:24 PM
The good news is you can often tell the stupid people apart from the smart ones by their spelling and grammar...

Oh... This is awkward.
Are you referring to individuals such as myself?
I have to edit practically every post I make becasue I can't type for ****!
Never could.

--edit-- See right there?
I'm not going to correctit his time. :smallbiggrin:

--edit2--
Damn it!

Lucky
2007-08-14, 05:26 PM
Are you referring to individuals such as myself?
I have to edit practically every post I make becasue I can't type for ****!
Never could.

--edit-- See right there?
I'm not going to correctit his time. :smallbiggrin:

--edit2--
Damn it!:smalltongue:

Calamity
2007-08-14, 05:26 PM
Heh, for the same reason it often takes me 3x longer than it should to write a new post. I usually check for mistakes before clicking send though. As i just did.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 05:33 PM
well, with english being, for all intents and purposes, a dead language, i dont feel that the spelling matters, and really, the purpose of a language to to exchange information, and since that can be accomplished with crappy spelling, i see no need to take 5x as long checking everything... its kind of funny though, half of my family is english teachers, and noone in it can spell for crap ><

Calamity
2007-08-14, 05:36 PM
well, with english being, for all intents and purposes, a dead language, i dont feel that the spelling matters, and really, the purpose of a language to to exchange information, and since that can be accomplished with crappy spelling, i see no need to take 5x as long checking everything... its kind of funny though, half of my family is english teachers, and noone in it can spell for crap ><

English is a dead language? Well, please explain to me how it is the most wide-spread langauge in the world? :smallconfused: And why we are all using it right now?

zeratul
2007-08-14, 05:43 PM
You sir, are terribly pessimistic.

Oh... This is awkward.

To be fair some of the people here in the playgrounders who have gained respect still don't have the best grammar.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 05:45 PM
you obviously havent been to a high school recently. noone speaks english, sum claym to tok engliiiissssshhhhhh gewd, some tok@u w/ txt msgng, n vwls btch, and some will freely admit that they suck and suffer from a mysterious inability to speak properly, even though they know no other languages, o, and there are those who talk in izzleese or eubonics, and its spreading... and then there are people who use words for things other than their actual meaning, adding new connotations and rewriting a perfectly good language through their ignorance. and most of them arent doing it to be cool, they DONT KNOW ENGLISH ANYMORE, ive even run into a fair amount of old people who dont speak it properly either. and then there are the people who make the dictionaries who comply with this and add them in... which they shouldnt do... but its already happened, and theres no point in fighting it now, unless your obscenely rich

and noones teaching english anymore, the english teachers have their hands full trying to get people to understand the concept of an essay, which really shouldnt take 4 years, and then getting them to READ a BOOK which is just as difficult, and really shouldnt take 6 years, but it does. when theres a lack of a widespread standard, things get ****ed up and nothing is compatible, look at computer netowrking 15 years ago.

Arameus
2007-08-14, 05:46 PM
well, with english being, for all intents and purposes, a dead language...

Excuse me? If English is dead, it's because you killed it. Are you aware of what a 'dead' language actually is?

In truth, you can no longer tell with so much certainty who is intelligent by spelling alone since there is a spellcheck built into the interface. Grammar is the only benchmark, and, as it is solely textual, even that lacks the tell-tale diction that we could judge in person.

I once observed to my brother that in a 'scene,' there are two types of people: the people who bemoan how the scene is being killed, and the people that such folk believe are killing it. This is, as far as I can see, a fairly accurate statement because the former type believes everyone but themselves belongs to the second type, admittedly or otherwise.

Calamity
2007-08-14, 05:47 PM
To be fair some of the people here in the playgrounders who have gained respect still don't have the best grammar.

O RLY? I has not think there is.

(Seriously though, I must be able to evade most of the bad grammar people if I don't know any like what zer said. Oh wait... after that sentence I have the bad grammar, I think.)

you obviously havent been to a high school recently. noone speaks english, sum claym to tok engliiiissssshhhhhh gewd, some tok@u w/ txt msgng, n vwls btch, and some will freely admit that they suck and suffer from a mysterious inability to speak properly, even though they know no other languages, o, and there are those who talk in izzleese or eubonics, and its spreading... and then there are people who use words for things other than their actual meaning, adding new connotations and rewriting a perfectly good language through their ignorance. and then there are the people who make the dictionaries who comply with this and add them in... which they shouldnt do... but its already happened, and theres no point in fighting it now, unless your obscenely rich

It's a bit hypocritic to say new words shouldn't be invented because it kills the language, when not having the slightest care about grammar. Grammar exists in every language.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 05:55 PM
oh im not saying new words shouldnt be invented, im saying that old words meanings are changing, part of it due to the arbitrary exclusion of subjects, give me any word or phrase and a few minutes and im sure i could connect it with either sex or an illegal substance, very likely a halucenagenic of some kind. someone might correct me, that its not drug A its drug B but i wouldnt be far off. and all for new words. as long as there are new things being invented, new actions being preformed, new ideas being thought of. or maybe even new words for old things, but taking old words and changing their meanings, but english has been so far ****ed up in recent years that its basically dead, and something new has come up. something not quite as good

Calamity
2007-08-14, 06:01 PM
oh im not saying new words shouldnt be invented, im saying that old words meanings are changing, part of it due to the arbitrary exclusion of subjects, give me any word or phrase and a few minutes and im sure i could connect it with either sex or an illegal substance, very likely a halucenagenic of some kind. someone might correct me, that its not drug A its drug B but i wouldnt be far off.

But this happens to languages all over the world, I study Spanish and French and both of them have old words which don't mean the same thing they did anymore. I have two freinds from Hong Kong who taught me a small amount of Cantonese (speech only though) and it's the same there as well, which is how there's different languages in China. Change happens. And it always will. The only thing that'll ever stay the same is the fact that change happens.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 06:02 PM
true, but the change is being made by stupid people who dont know wtf their doing

The Great Skenardo
2007-08-14, 06:02 PM
oh im not saying new words shouldnt be invented, im saying that old words meanings are changing, part of it due to the arbitrary exclusion of subjects, give me any word or phrase and a few minutes and im sure i could connect it with either sex or an illegal substance, very likely a halucenagenic of some kind. someone might correct me, that its not drug A its drug B but i wouldnt be far off.

"Economics."

Go.

Arameus
2007-08-14, 06:03 PM
I would like to revise my earlier statement. Tannish is what is happening to the boards, apparently. With such a revelation in mind, it becomes much more understandable that someone might find the forum no longer as accommodating to their standards and preferences.

true, but the change is being made by stupid people who dont know wtf their doing

Wow. I'm honestly impressed. You are almost certainly a lost cause, and I'm going to heal myself rather than wasting my time arguing with you, with my first treatment as an outright ignorance of your existence.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 06:04 PM
damn he cought me... sorry, its true, and completely my fault.

Dihan
2007-08-14, 06:07 PM
you obviously havent been to a high school recently. noone speaks english, sum claym to tok engliiiissssshhhhhh gewd, some tok@u w/ txt msgng, n vwls btch, and some will freely admit that they suck and suffer from a mysterious inability to speak properly, even though they know no other languages, o, and there are those who talk in izzleese or eubonics, and its spreading... and then there are people who use words for things other than their actual meaning, adding new connotations and rewriting a perfectly good language through their ignorance. and most of them arent doing it to be cool, they DONT KNOW ENGLISH ANYMORE, ive even run into a fair amount of old people who dont speak it properly either. and then there are the people who make the dictionaries who comply with this and add them in... which they shouldnt do... but its already happened, and theres no point in fighting it now, unless your obscenely rich

and noones teaching english anymore, the english teachers have their hands full trying to get people to understand the concept of an essay, which really shouldnt take 4 years, and then getting them to READ a BOOK which is just as difficult, and really shouldnt take 6 years, but it does. when theres a lack of a widespread standard, things get ****ed up and nothing is compatible, look at computer netowrking 15 years ago.

Current faith in humanity: ||||||||||||||||||||||

Calamity
2007-08-14, 06:09 PM
tannish2, if you practiced what you preached you would be speaking Ye Olde English right now or maybe an earlier language than that.

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 06:14 PM
And what, may I ask, would be the problem with that? :smalltongue:

Chris the Pontifex
2007-08-14, 06:15 PM
dunno, I've been around here longer then most of the people leaving. (though admittedly not nearly as active). I've seen these boards change a lot over time, for the better mostly, though I miss the times when it was actually possible to win at "Who's next?", and random banter threads would last for two days...

and to all who think this is the only intelligent and nice board around, check out the XKCD forums. It isnt as much fun though

EDIT, oh and Charity, Molonel was fun indeed, but I think that if he were still around either he, or we, would get bored of his constant trolling

Calamity
2007-08-14, 06:16 PM
I don't have a problem with Old English, just saying that he would.

Chunklets
2007-08-14, 06:17 PM

Ah, but 'twas always thus. Look through any one of Shakespeare's comedies, and see how many of the words have some kind of nefarious double-meaning. Heck, this process isn't even exclusive to English; I can tell you from experience that Latin has a great number of innocent-looking words which can be used in obscene contexts. The linguistic phenomenon of which you speak is not a recent one, but has been going on for millenia.

and all for new words. as long as there are new things being invented, new actions being preformed, new ideas being thought of. or maybe even new words for old things, but taking old words and changing their meanings, but english has been so far ****ed up in recent years that its basically dead, and something new has come up. something not quite as good

Well, technically, a dead language is one that is spoken by nobody as a first language, so we've still got a ways to go in that regard with English! The general impression is that TV and video games and popular culture in general have all reduced the basic level of literacy in society, but I've taught kids, and more than a few, who could write beautiful essays, in excellent English, without much hand-holding on my part at all. I've read quite a lot of well-written stuff on these boards, as well!

tannish2
2007-08-14, 06:27 PM
well, its not that, i dont mind a language changing, it needs to to stay practical, if no new words were ever added the thing im writing on with pressing.... those things with letters on them looking at the... um... thing thats made of glass, your looking at yours if your reading this... you look at when doing what im doing with the peice of.... petroleum based material with peice of sand in the middle... doesnt work

but to answer the question about the word economics: "i gotta go do my economics homwork" translation: "im going to go smoke some (wordicantrememberatthemomentforaplantthathas5leav espeopleoftenputitonTshirts)"

also, see: my signature, i think its the first one i only put it spoiler to save space because massive signatures piss me off, especially when someone does something like post a 1 line post with a 5 inch sig, but thats just a thing i have back on topic, when ALL WORDS mean the same thing it kind of gets crappy, or when there is no word that means A thatt doesnt also mean either *** *************** or ***.

and you must have taught the exceptions.... ive seen some things that are so terrible that their sad... i wont post them because if the people who wrote them are reading this it would be terribly embarassing for them, but lets just say that its saddening and mildly depressing. and the majority of people who wrote them claim to speak english as their first language

Calamity
2007-08-14, 06:32 PM
Sorry tannish, but the majority of that post I couldn't understand at first, it took 5 times re-reading it. And I still don't know what the last two lines mean.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 06:36 PM
sorry, ill get some sleep and then try to fix it, woah, just read it again, it is illegible

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 06:36 PM
I think you need to improve your sentence structure, Tannish. You seem to have a tendency to ramble. Using caps at the start of sentences, and starting new sentences once in a while, would greatly improve the legibility of your posts.

edit: Yeah, sleep does tend to help too :smalltongue:

Eldpollard
2007-08-14, 06:50 PM
Tannish you could do with capitalisation, it does help with legibility. It also seems somewhat ironic for you to be complaining about drops in language when you misuse there/their/they're.

Yes sleep does help, which I really should do at some point.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 06:53 PM
well like i said i dont worry about grammar, i go for using the right meaning for words, and there their theotherone is a perfect example of how someone ****ed up the language. its when all words mean the same thing, and im a little tired right now or they would be much better, anyway, back to topic? US FORUM NOOBS SHALL PWNINATINIZE YOU WITH OUR PYROKENISIS!

Lucky
2007-08-14, 07:12 PM
I would like to revise my earlier statement. Tannish is what is happening to the boards, apparently. With such a revelation in mind, it becomes much more understandable that someone might find the forum no longer as accommodating to their standards and preferences.

Wow. I'm honestly impressed. You are almost certainly a lost cause, and I'm going to heal myself rather than wasting my time arguing with you, with my first treatment as an outright ignorance of your existence....

I love you.

Arameus
2007-08-14, 07:12 PM
When I get my weedeater back, you'll be the first to know. Unpleasantly. It is not the slow degradation of your self-butchered language you should fear; it is a slighted Kentuckian with mechanized gardening implements.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 07:15 PM
When I get my weedeater back, you'll be the first to know. Unpleasantly. It is not the slow degradation of your self-butchered language you should fear; it is a slighted Kentuckian with mechanized gardening implements.

damn normal thinking... is there any reason i cant fear both? or neither if i choose?(though i prefer both... people from the south scare me... as does gardening)

Gaelbert
2007-08-14, 07:22 PM

I go to a high school. For the most part, they speak better English than you. Granted, there is some slang and cuss words, but the slang is slowly being added to dictionaries, and cuss words have been around since the dawn of humanity. As for the rst of you post, when I observed the lack of punctuation, capitalization, and grammar, my brain escaped through the back of my head. If you type legibly, then not only will people respect you more, they will respond to you. As for economics, its easy to just change the meaning of a word entirely. Show more creativity. Twist the meanings of words For example:
Economics
Give and take within a group
That being said, sleep is good for the mind and the body.

Mr. Moon
2007-08-14, 07:51 PM

No! That wasn't me!!! D= It was my evil twin! Really! Gah!

Personaly, the real change I've noticed is the wave of newbies, which has unfavourable results. However, some of them are lots of fun to chat with. Although others just drain the fun out of everything, it's the fun ones who make all the new restrictions worth it.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 07:58 PM
I go to a high school. For the most part, they speak better English than you. Granted, there is some slang and cuss words, but the slang is slowly being added to dictionaries, and cuss words have been around since the dawn of humanity. As for the rst of you post, when I observed the lack of punctuation, capitalization, and grammar, my brain escaped through the back of my head. If you type legibly, then not only will people respect you more, they will respond to you.
That being said, sleep is good for the mind and the body.

i talk properly when ive had sleep, and im not talking about the wonderful arbitrarily excluded words from our language, i think use of them is good, and the lack of punctuation is because its the internet, and the fact that i strongly agree with the last part of your post, sleep=good, food might help as well, but i really dont see the difference between dont and don't besides the extra time it takes to type. and the respect of others who judge solely on how someone types is not something i care about, i care about their honest opinions(or not) which i think i have, but this threads focus on me is annoying, so yes, my grammar is crap, im not bragging about it, im not saying im a paragon of human existence. and i am a terrible person who should be savagely beaten by a panda with a bag of kittens.

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 08:07 PM
i talk properly when ive had sleep, and im not talking about the wonderful arbitrarily excluded words from our language, i think use of them is good, and the lack of punctuation is because its the internet, and the fact that i strongly agree with the last part of your post, sleep=good, food might help as well, but i really dont see the difference between dont and don't besides the extra time it takes to type. and the respect of others who judge solely on how someone types is not something i care about, i care about their honest opinions(or not) which i think i have, but this threads focus on me is annoying, so yes, my grammar is crap, im not bragging about it, im not saying im a paragon of human existence. and i am a terrible person who should be savagely beaten by a panda with a bag of kittens.

Good sir, may I remind you that this forum requires its members to post coherently and legibly, as per the forum rules?

SurlySeraph
2007-08-14, 08:10 PM
tannish2, please go to sleep. You may well conversate with ameliorated efficiency in the matinal segment of the following day, with sleep having been received.

Mr. Moon
2007-08-14, 08:11 PM
but i really dont see the difference between dont and don't besides the extra time it takes to type.

Extra time? How does moving your pinky for .3 seconds count as extra time? :smallconfused:

tannish2
2007-08-14, 08:11 PM
damn i mustve forgotten/skipped that part, i wont post again til i get some sleep then thanks for reminding me

and it doesnt but doing it over and over and over again it adds up and it serves no purpose

Gaelbert
2007-08-14, 08:12 PM
First of all, no one should be beaten by a panda with a bag of kittens. That would be animal cruelty. Secondly, people don't like having to wade through poorly written sentences. People don't do what they don't like given an option, so people don't read poorly written items. After seeing a person continue in this manner, they will think, "Oh, its so-and-so. I don't want to read what he has to say because its such a pain." It may not be right, but its true. My apologies to so-and-so.
Edit: SurlySeraph, I am so sigging that.

Arameus
2007-08-14, 08:15 PM
It is both true and right, as someone who is lax in their speech is not worth listening to. If such a deficiency is unintentional, the poster likely has little or nothing interesting to say, and if, God forbid, it is intentional, then the poster is maliciously vulgar and should be scorned despite any reasonable contribution they would otherwise have made.

Logic
2007-08-14, 08:17 PM
Arameus, there is the "Ignore User" feature still available for your convienience. It always serves you better to use it THE MOMENT you claim you are actually ignoring someone. It prevents you from saying things you regret.

I honestly don't care how well good someone's grammar is, since I am surely a repeat offender. As long as their statements make sense, and have some kind of order that I can understand without reading it 3-4 times, I will not lump them into the unintelligible category.

Edit: After reading this post, I found several of which I am guilty of. Can you spot them all?

Gaelbert
2007-08-14, 08:25 PM
Lets see... should intelligible be unintelligible?

Eldpollard
2007-08-14, 08:26 PM
because its the internet,

That's your reasoning for not punctuating and or capitalising? A statement of fact is not a reason. It doesn't take much longer to type with capitalisation and it takes a hell of a lot less longer to read. A lack of sleep is not a valid argument, I currently am on the verge of passing out yet I remain coherent.

Lord Herman
2007-08-14, 08:27 PM
Edit: After reading this post, I found several of which I am guilty of. Can you spot them all?

Found one! What do I win?

Logic
2007-08-14, 08:31 PM
Found one! What do I win?

I didn't mean the edit was subject to them, but good eye. I had thought the edit was error free.

Arameus
2007-08-14, 08:42 PM
No, see, I'm taking a page from someone else's book and disregarding the existence of something while still expressing my disdain for said object. It's fairly common, and an admittedly-guilty indulgence. But I stand by it. Besides, it's likely I'm never getting that weedeater back anyway.

I do my best to maintain grammatical excellence, so when I make a mistake I don't consider it a bid deal, especially in the case of certain instances of comma usage. Perfection is not required, nor is it asked, but an effort, slight though it may be, is simply a requirement for media in which people must read what you have written to understand your reason for writing it. This is a fact with which I think you will agree. The fact that such a medium may be found on the Internet does not affect this necessity, regardless of what some would have you believe for the purpose of justifying their own low standards. It is likely, after all, that such incompetence is not limited to digital exchanges and probably predominate any textual exchange and likely verbal exchanges as well, though to a lesser extent in the latter case.

But what adds insult to injury is that such a personage would have you believe that they actually believe both that they are not part of the problem and that such a disgrace is indeed disgraceful when they themselves are responsible for it.

I honestly don't care how well someone's grammar is, since I am surely a repeat offender.

This was likely an emendation of the original text. Whether or not it is, 'good' is the proper word as it is an adjective, the proper part of speech to describe 'grammar.' Using the adverb 'well' would mean that you are modifying the verb 'is,' which, in this case, is nonsensical.

I'll take my prize money in steak, thank you very much.

tannish2
2007-08-14, 09:06 PM
1. its amazing the difference a few minutes of sleep a few rice cakes and a cup of gatorade makes
2. YES! my country spanning effort to start PETW (people for the ethical treatment of weeds) has worked!
3. those posts ARE pretty damn hard to read, sorry about that
4. i cant think of a four
5. our noob pyrokenesis powers shall destroy you!

Logic
2007-08-14, 09:15 PM
I'll take my prize money in steak, thank you very much.

If there were a prize, it would be awarded when you found all of them. I still see one more error, but it could actually be correct.

Arameus
2007-08-14, 09:40 PM
In that case, 'convenience' is spelled incorrectly. That's spelling, though, not grammar.

Vonriel
2007-08-14, 10:33 PM
Folks, trying to convert tannish is a lost cause. I have already attempted to do so, and he pointedly ignored me. I urge you to find a better use of your time. Also, Logic? "of" is a preposition, and you're not supposed to end sentences with them. Your edit is still wrong :smalltongue:

PhallicWarrior
2007-08-14, 10:36 PM
BACK ON TOPIC FOLKS!

In response to the OP, I haven't really noticed any change in the atmosphere... *licks index finger, sticks into the air* "Nope nothin' too different here, Boss." The only exception I am aware of is the actual OotS section of the forum, which has been weighed down by truck loads of pixies who are new at this whole "Forum Business," and post wherever they can.

The Orange Zergling
2007-08-15, 12:21 AM
Mainly that the comic has gotten more popular, more people join the forums, leading to more site traffic, which results in more server load. This gives the place a little less "cosiness"(fewer people=more recognisable). We've also had to make a few changes(ported to a different forum format, signature/avatar restrictions: see above), so it feels a little less "freeform" than it was before.

This sums it up... pretty well.

Aw damnit, I'm supposed to be gone... *shuffles off*

FoE
2007-08-15, 12:30 AM
well like i said i dont worry about grammar, i go for using the right meaning for words

"You, sir, are worse than Hitler."
-The Simpsons

Jibar
2007-08-15, 01:37 AM
ARGGH!
God damn the laws of the internet!
FaceOfEvil's comment was inevitable though.

This sums it up... pretty well.

Aw damnit, I'm supposed to be gone... *shuffles off*

Yes you are mister.
And pick up some milk while you're out.

Missing Shoe
2007-08-15, 07:57 AM
I was going to hold out on posting this but I couldn't resist anymore. I dont get why some people think if the boards are going through a change that you dont like you should just leave. The boards are what you make of it. If these boards really mean as much as people says it does to them they should fight to make it better. Think of new, exciting ways to keep the fun alive. If leaving was the best thing you could contribute to make the forum better then dont let the door hit you on the way out.

New people are bound to come and sure some maybe be bad, but we should at least give them a chance. I remember when Cobra Ikari first joined, he was double posting, post happy, and some forum members were a little weirded out by his constant hugging. Now I dont think you can find a person who DOESNT like Cobra.

Not that I have anything against anyone who had left, I just dont agree with their logic.

Dragor
2007-08-15, 08:18 AM
I'm fairly new- about 6 months, give or take, in the forums. I think I've settled in pretty well. I strive to keep my grammar on form at all times.... so, Tannish, if I'm fifteen years of age and trying to do my best to type well as a form of etiquette on the forums, why should that stop you?

As for the change, I've noticed none. Most of the old faces are still here, and up to their usual creative (or should that be destructive? :smalltongue: ) antics. A few new people come in.... so what? It happens everywhere.

I have seen a few new posters not using grammar or spelling at all, but a few posts later they seemed to have changed their ways.

Remember folks: everyone's a n00b at one time- and the Playground certainly is a different forum from others. And everyone's united in their love of OOTS.

So, let's not have the forum splitting off into factions. Let's stay unified, welcome new members, and have a grand ol' time.

So glad I avoided saying 'United we stand, divided we fall'. Oh, balls, I ended up saying it anyway. :smalleek:

Arameus
2007-08-16, 05:34 PM
Sadly, not even OotS is apperently a universal factor. Some people still constantly hang around the forums despite proclaiming their loss of interest (and even outright dislike) of the comic. I can handle the odd noob or the freakazoids and whatnot, but that's something I sincerely don't understand.

Gaelbert
2007-08-17, 01:35 PM
Oots was what originally convinced me to join this forum. I still am interested Oots, its in my top 3 webcomics list, but not as obsessively as I used to. The forum is the main draw for me now.

Lord Herman
2007-08-17, 01:37 PM
I still love OOTS as much as the day I first read it (meaning, a lot), but the great community is the main reason why I'm here.

Zar Peter
2007-08-17, 03:33 PM
Yes, I cought me reading the forum first and than the comic. :smallredface:

Logic
2007-08-17, 03:37 PM
Oots was what originally convinced me to join this forum. I still am interested Oots, its in my top 3 webcomics list, but not as obsessively as I used to. The forum is the main draw for me now.

Same here. I Still love the comic, but the forum is what draws me here more than the comic now.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-17, 03:39 PM
Extra time? How does moving your pinky for .3 seconds count as extra time? :smallconfused:

Wait...it takes you .3 seconds? o.O

As a notice, the forum is the main reason I come here, OotS is one of my favourite webcomics, but I wouldn't follow it quite as obsessively without this community to partake in.

Castaras
2007-08-17, 03:39 PM
Same here. I Still love the comic, but the forum is what draws me here more than the comic now.

Agreed.

Oots is an awesome comic.

But the community is awesomer, and that is what keeps me staring at the screen day by day.

*hugs the forums* Y'all are awesome!

Chunklets
2007-08-17, 06:39 PM
Agreed.

But the community is awesomer, and that is what keeps me staring at the screen day by day.

I could not have put it any better than that! Were it not for the boards, I'd probably visit here about once or twice a week to get caught up on the comics, no more than that.

SalSar_Thiran
2007-08-17, 07:41 PM
Though not every one who used to be here has left. I am sure I'm not th only former poster turned lurker just by chance. And yes the comic and the community are both quite strong.

Ego Slayer
2007-08-17, 07:45 PM
Kids... make note of how this thread has lured out the now rare and elusive SalSar. Gaze in awe at his ancient weapons of Stabbity Death...

:smalltongue:

SalSar_Thiran
2007-08-17, 07:50 PM
Good to see you too Ego. It's been a while.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-17, 08:07 PM
*Gazes in awe at SalSar's ancient weapons of Stabbity Death*

Agreed.

Thirded!

Mr. Moon
2007-08-17, 08:16 PM
and it doesnt but doing it over and over and over again it adds up and it serves no purpose

That doesn't give you an excuse not to do it in the first place. :smallconfused:

Edit: As for the current topic, I love the comunity, but I'm not such a big fan of the comic as I used to be. Goblins is better. Also, am I the only one who thinks it may be drawing to a close?

Samiam303
2007-08-17, 08:36 PM
That doesn't give you an excuse not to do it in the first place. :smallconfused:
More to the point, it DOES serve a purpose. Posting without proper grammar/spelling/punctuation presents an appearance of being either lazy or unintelligent, neither of which is going to get a lot of respect from people reading your posts. Remember, the only thing people see of you on the internet is your words, so the more intelligently you present them, the more people will tend to take you seriously.

Gitman00
2007-08-17, 09:50 PM
Also, am I the only one who thinks it may be drawing to a close?

I don't think the strip is anywhere close to ending, personally. The Azure City arc is certainly ending, but there are two more gates out there for our heroes to find, and now the Linear Guild is looking for them, too. Xykon has an ECL of at least 24, and the Order is approximately level 13. There are also numerous subplots that have yet to be resolved. I don't see the strip ending before page 1000, and probably longer.