PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Revised Monk: From MADly melee to SADly psionic

rferries
2017-09-25, 09:18 AM
Monk

https://i.imgur.com/k3tWqZS.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/EGEnhkn.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/2ryFC5Z.jpg?1

There are many paths to enlightenment

Alignment
Any.

Hit Die
d10.

Class Skills
The monks’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (none), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(6 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
6 + Int modifier.

Table: The Monk

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Power Points/Day
Powers Known
Maximum Power Level Known

1st

+1

+2

+2

+2

Leap of Faith (+10), Quintessence
1st

2nd

+2

+3

+3

+3

Serenity
1st

3rd

+3

+3

+3

+3

Earthly
1st

4th

+4

+4

+4

+4

Enchanted, Enlightenment (+1)
1st

5th

+5

+4

+4

+4

Leap of Faith (+20)
1st

6th

+6/+1

+5

+5

+5

Transcendence (+2)
2nd

7th

+7/+2

+5

+5

+5

Tranquility
2nd

8th

+8/+3

+6

+6

+6

Enlightenment (+2)
2nd

9th

+9/+4

+6

+6

+6

Leap of Faith (+30)
3rd

10th

+10/+5

+7

+7

+7

Divinity
3rd

11th

+11/+6/+1

+7

+7

+7

3rd

12th

+12/+7/+2

+8

+8

+8

Enlightenment (+3), Transcendence (+4)
4th

13th

+13/+8/+3

+8

+8

+8

Leap of Faith (+40)
4th

14th

+14/+9/+4

+9

+9

+9

4th

15th

+15/+10/+5

+9

+9

+9

5th

16th

+16/+11/+6/+1

+10

+10

+10

Enlightenment (+4)
5th

17th

+17/+12/+7/+2

+10

+10

+10

Leap of Faith (+50)
5th

18th

+18/+13/+8/+3

+11

+11

+11

Transcendence (+6)
6th

19th

+19/+14/+9/+4

+11

+11

+11

6th

20th

+20/+15/+10/+5

+12

+12

+12

Enlightenment (+5)
6th

1The monk gains no power points from his class at 1st level. However, he does add any bonus power points he gains from a high Wisdom score, his race, and feats or other sources to his reserve. He can use these points (if any) to manifest his power.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Monks are proficient with all simple weapons, and with either all martial weapons or all exotic weapons (chosen at 1st level). Monks are not proficient with any armour or shields.

Manifesting (Ex)
A monk manifests psionic powers. His Wisdom score determines his bonus power points per day, save DCs, and the level of powers he can learn. He may draw his powers known from any power list or discipline (if a power appears on multiple lists, treat it as the psion version).

A monk automatically learns the following powers (assuming his class level and Wisdom score are high enough to manifest powers of that level). These powers do not count towards his powers known.

Table: Bonus Monk Powers

Power Level
Power Name

1st
burst, defensive precognition, far hand

2nd
psionic suggestion, read thoughts

3rd
telekinetic force, telekinetic thrust

4th
correspond, telekinetic maneuver

5th
psychic crush1

6th
force lightning2, greater precognition

1Manifests as a telekinetic asphyxiation of the target.
2As chain lightning, save that it deals force damage and any creature that fails its save is sickened for 1 round from the agony.

Leap of Faith (Su)
A monk is immune to falling damage. He gains a +10 bonus on Jump checks and a +10 feet bonus to his movement speed. These bonuses increase by +10 every four class levels (to a maximum of a +50 bonus on Jump checks and a +50 feet bonus to his movement speed at 17th level). Note that a monk gains an additional +4 bonus to his Jump checks for every 10 feet by which his movement speed exceeds 30 feet.

Quintessence (Ex)
Whenever a monk would use an ability modifier other than his Wisdom modifier, he may instead choose to use his Wisdom bonus (to a maximum of his class level) plus that ability modifier. This ability functions for almost any purpose (including initiative checks, skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls, damage rolls, Armour Class, and saving throws), but not for calculating hit points per die and skill points.

Additionally, a monk gains a bonus on Autohypnosis and Concentration checks equal to one-half his class level.

Finally, aging penalties to a monk's physical ability scores are reduced by 1 per class level (so a 6th-level monk suffers no aging penalties, even if venerable).

Serenity (Ex)
At 2nd level, a monk may always take 10 on a skill check, even when rushed or threatened.

Earthly (Ex)
At 3rd level, whenever he makes a full attack a monk may make an additional unarmed strike at his full base attack bonus -5, in addition to any other attacks he is allowed. He makes this attack as a punch, kick, or headbutt (so he can make it regardless of whether or not he has a free hand).

A monk may choose unarmed strikes when selecting the Improved Natural Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#improvedNaturalAttack) feat. He may select that feat multiple times, each time choosing unarmed strikes. Its effects stack.

Enchanted (Ex)
At 4th level, a monk gains Enchanted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534772-A-few-simple-feats-(Enchanted-Flight-Insightful-Strike)&p=22336997#post22336997) as a bonus feat.

Enlightenment (Ex)
Beginning at 4th level, a monk gains a +1 inherent bonus to each of his ability scores. This ability increases by +1 every four class levels, to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.

Transcendence (Ex)
Beginning at 6th level a monk gains a +2 enhancement bonus to each of his ability scores. This bonus increases to +4 at 12th level, and to +6 at 18th level.

Tranquility (Ex)
At 7th level or higher, if a monk makes a successful saving throw against an attack that normally has a partial effect on a successful save, she instead ignores that effect.

Divinity (Su)
At 10th level, a monk gains the appropriate alignment subtypes (chaotic, evil, good, lawful) corresponding to his alignment. His natural weapons, unarmed strikes, and any weapons he wields are treated as weapons of the appropriate alignment for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. If he is true neutral, his attacks are treated as all extreme alignments (lawful good, lawful evil, chaotic good, and chaotic evil) for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Additionally, he gains damage reduction equal to one-half his class level. This damage reduction is overcome by weapons opposing all of his alignment subtypes (e.g. chaotic evil weapons for a lawful good monk). If he is true neutral, his damage reduction is overcome by weapons of any extreme alignment (lawful good, lawful evil, chaotic good, and chaotic evil).

Finally, he gains power resistance equal to his class level +10. This power resistance never applies against beneficial effects.

Monks and Alignment
A monk's powers are derived from his philosophical convictions. A monk that changes alignment loses all his class abilities until he either returns to his prior alignment or receives an atonement spell (regaining his powers with his new alignment).

I'm open to suggestions re: bonus powers (I've duplicated Jedi/Sith powers perhaps too much); but maybe they shouldn't get any bonus powers at all? This would force monks to follow a Jedi, Wuxia, or even Friar Tuck archetype.

Quintessence and all the ability bonuses (+11 total) are meant to show how even venerable monks have great physical prowess - see Yoda, the average Wuxia old master, etc, while tying into a Vow of Poverty archetype. If they're too much the bonuses could be reduced.

To do: a "Nimbus" feat allowing proper flight, a turn undead or similar ability to deal with wicked spirits

nonsi
2017-09-25, 09:58 AM
My analysis:

Serenity - rogues cry themselves to sleep at night
Quintessence + Enlightenment + Transcendence . . . Translation: unbeatable combat statistics at high levels . . . = fighters cry themselves to sleep at night.

Also, you didn't specify unarmed damage - the official Monk's most iconic feature.
And the psionic powers still require standard action in most cases. This would lead to a lot of pre-combat prep-time and very little in-combat usage (combat stats are so high that mundane operations are almost always better choices than the use of powers), which is counter intuitive to being always ready.

I'm getting the impression that the power level of your classes starts spinning out of control. I think you should consider toning things down a bit.

Westhart
2017-09-25, 10:06 AM
Monk

https://i.imgur.com/k3tWqZS.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/EGEnhkn.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/2ryFC5Z.jpg?1

There are many paths to enlightenment

Alignment
Any.

Hit Die
d10.

Class Skills
The monks’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (none), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(6 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
6 + Int modifier.

Table: The Monk

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Power Points/Day
Powers Known
Maximum Power Level Known

1st

+1

+2

+2

+2

Leap of Faith (+10), Quintessence
1st

2nd

+2

+3

+3

+3

Serenity
1st

3rd

+3

+3

+3

+3

Earthly
1st

4th

+4

+4

+4

+4

Enchanted, Enlightenment (+1)
1st

5th

+5

+4

+4

+4

Leap of Faith (+20)
1st

6th

+6/+1

+5

+5

+5

Transcendence (+2)
2nd

7th

+7/+2

+5

+5

+5

Tranquility
2nd

8th

+8/+3

+6

+6

+6

Enlightenment (+2)
2nd

9th

+9/+4

+6

+6

+6

Leap of Faith (+30)
3rd

10th

+10/+5

+7

+7

+7

Divinity
3rd

11th

+11/+6/+1

+7

+7

+7

3rd

12th

+12/+7/+2

+8

+8

+8

Enlightenment (+3), Transcendence (+4)
4th

13th

+13/+8/+3

+8

+8

+8

Leap of Faith (+40)
4th

14th

+14/+9/+4

+9

+9

+9

4th

15th

+15/+10/+5

+9

+9

+9

5th

16th

+16/+11/+6/+1

+10

+10

+10

Enlightenment (+4)
5th

17th

+17/+12/+7/+2

+10

+10

+10

Leap of Faith (+50)
5th

18th

+18/+13/+8/+3

+11

+11

+11

Transcendence (+6)
6th

19th

+19/+14/+9/+4

+11

+11

+11

6th

20th

+20/+15/+10/+5

+12

+12

+12

Enlightenment (+5)
6th

1The monk gains no power points from his class at 1st level. However, he does add any bonus power points he gains from a high Wisdom score, his race, and feats or other sources to his reserve. He can use these points (if any) to manifest his power.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Monks are proficient with all simple weapons, and with either all martial weapons or all exotic weapons (chosen at 1st level). Monks are not proficient with any armour or shields.

Manifesting (Ex)
A monk manifests psionic powers. His Wisdom score determines his bonus power points per day, save DCs, and the level of powers he can learn. He may draw his powers known from any power list or discipline (if a power appears on multiple lists, treat it as the psion version).

A monk automatically learns the following powers (assuming his class level and Wisdom score are high enough to manifest powers of that level). These powers do not count towards his powers known.

Table: Bonus Monk Powers

Power Level
Power Name

1st
burst, defensive precognition, far hand

2nd
psionic suggestion, read thoughts

3rd
telekinetic force, telekinetic thrust

4th
correspond, telekinetic maneuver

5th
psychic crush1

6th
force lightning2, greater precognition

1Manifests as a telekinetic asphyxiation of the target.
2As chain lightning, save that it deals force damage and any creature that fails its save is sickened for 1 round from the agony.

:smallsmile:

Leap of Faith (Su)
A monk is immune to falling damage. He gains a +10 bonus on Jump checks and a +10 feet bonus to his movement speed. These bonuses increase by +10 every four class levels (to a maximum of a +50 bonus on Jump checks and a +50 feet bonus to his movement speed at 17th level). Note that a monk gains an additional +4 bonus to his Jump checks for every 10 feet by which his movement speed exceeds 30 feet.

Like this, although where you say +10 feet I think it would be +10 foot... not sure there though, so don't quote me on it :smalltongue:

Quintessence (Ex)
Whenever a monk would use an ability modifier other than his Wisdom modifier, he may instead choose to use his Wisdom bonus (to a maximum of his class level) plus that ability modifier. This ability functions for almost any purpose (including initiative checks, skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls, damage rolls, Armour Class, and saving throws), but not for calculating hit points per die and skill points.

Additionally, a monk gains a bonus on Autohypnosis and Concentration checks equal to one-half his class level.

Finally, aging penalties to a monk's physical ability scores are reduced by 1 per class level (so a 6th-level monk suffers no aging penalties, even if venerable).

0.o *any* other modifier? hmm, I would say *except at 15th (or X) level* for the max wisdom bonus so that theoretically if they boost it really high they can still multiclass...

Serenity (Ex)
At 2nd level, a monk may always take 10 on a skill check, even when rushed or threatened.

Hmm, any skill check... not sure how I feel about that...with this you almost never lose a concentration check for your powers...

Earthly (Ex)
At 3rd level, whenever he makes a full attack a monk may make an additional unarmed strike at his full base attack bonus -5, in addition to any other attacks he is allowed. He makes this attack as a punch, kick, or headbutt (so he can make it regardless of whether or not he has a free hand).

A monk may choose unarmed strikes when selecting the Improved Natural Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#improvedNaturalAttack) feat. He may select that feat multiple times, each time choosing unarmed strikes. Its effects stack.

Meh, I would allow them the increased damage of a monk, one of the things I liked about them... except that you can take superior unarmed strike and you get 2d6 at 20th vs the SRD monk's 2d8 -.-'

Enchanted (Ex)
At 4th level, a monk gains Enchanted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534772-A-few-simple-feats-(Enchanted-Flight-Insightful-Strike)&p=22336997#post22336997) as a bonus feat.

Enlightenment (Ex)
Beginning at 4th level, a monk gains a +1 inherent bonus to each of his ability scores. This ability increases by +1 every four class levels, to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.

0.o I have to say this is powerful, except you made them key *practically everything* off of Wisdom so this is good for HP and skills... and I guess ability damage/drain...

Transcendence (Ex)
Beginning at 6th level a monk gains a +2 enhancement bonus to each of his ability scores. This bonus increases to +4 at 12th level, and to +6 at 18th level.

Bah, this is a +11 to each score!

Tranquility (Ex)
At 7th level or higher, if a monk makes a successful saving throw against an attack that normally has a partial effect on a successful save, she instead ignores that effect.

Basically evasion and mettle rolled into one.

Divinity (Su)
At 10th level, a monk gains the appropriate alignment subtypes (chaotic, evil, good, lawful) corresponding to his alignment. His natural weapons, unarmed strikes, and any weapons he wields are treated as weapons of the appropriate alignment for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. If he is true neutral, his attacks are treated as all extreme alignments (lawful good, lawful evil, chaotic good, and chaotic evil) for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Additionally, he gains damage reduction equal to one-half his class level. This damage reduction is overcome by weapons opposing all of his alignment subtypes (e.g. chaotic evil weapons for a lawful good monk). If he is true neutral, his damage reduction is overcome by weapons of any extreme alignment (lawful good, lawful evil, chaotic good, and chaotic evil).

Finally, he gains power resistance equal to his class level +10. This power resistance never applies against beneficial effects.

Monks and Alignment
A monk's powers are derived from his philosophical convictions. A monk that changes alignment loses all his class abilities until he either returns to his prior alignment or receives an atonement spell (regaining his powers with his new alignment).

I'm open to suggestions re: bonus powers (I've duplicated Jedi/Sith powers perhaps too much); but maybe they shouldn't get any bonus powers at all? This would force monks to follow a Jedi, Wuxia, or even Friar Tuck archetype.

Quintessence and all the ability bonuses (+11 total) are meant to show how even venerable monks have great physical prowess - see Yoda, the average Wuxia old master, etc, while tying into a Vow of Poverty archetype. If they're too much the bonuses could be reduced.

To do: a "Nimbus" feat allowing proper flight, a turn undead or similar ability to deal with wicked spirits

Hmm, some ideas for new features:
1. A smite (opposing alignment feature)
2. I kind of liked the old flurry... and as is they do not have IUS so they provoke an AoO with every unarmed hit...
3. Mobility: Think swim/climb speeds, ability to run on walls etc.
4. Some Kind of ki power, whether it is the ability to make a ranged unarmed strike by putting force through the air etc.

EDIT: Fixed some quote issues
EDIT 2: Fixed another quote, saw previous post.
I have to agree, this definitely is really powerful, in fact I think I would throw this against an average wizard... all good saves with what is basically evasion + mettle... I could do a write up of his defensive stats but I believe that you (will) get the idea

rferries
2017-09-25, 11:51 AM
My analysis:

Serenity - rogues cry themselves to sleep at night
Quintessence + Enlightenment + Transcendence . . . Translation: unbeatable combat statistics at high levels . . . = fighters cry themselves to sleep at night.

Also, you didn't specify unarmed damage - the official Monk's most iconic feature.
And the psionic powers still require standard action in most cases. This would lead to a lot of pre-combat prep-time and very little in-combat usage (combat stats are so high that mundane operations are almost always better choices than the use of powers), which is counter intuitive to being always ready.

I'm getting the impression that the power level of your classes starts spinning out of control. I think you should consider toning things down a bit.

Serenity - meh, Disable Device and Open Lock are trained-only & cross-class, plus taking 10 isn't giving you +10, it's just averaging out your roll.

Yeah, I'll have to pick just one or two of Quintessence/Enlightenment/Transcendence to keep I suppose, it's a bit much of a muchness. I'm thinking keep Quintessence, and condense Enlightenment/Transcendence into +2/+4/+6 bonuses to Wis/Dex/Con/Str.

Unarmed damage - this is covered under Earthly (via Improved Natural Attack); if you invest all your feats from 6th level to 18th you can get your unarmed damage up to 4d6 (and you should take Improved Unarmed Strike at 1st level). Wuxia-themed monks would build around unarmed damage, whereas Jedi/Friar Tuck monks would build around lightsabers/quarterstaves etc.

The psionic powers are meant to provide versatility (teleportation, healing, social applications); this is indeed intended more as a melee class in combat.

Re: power level, I forgot to mention it in this post, but something to keep in mind for my revised classes (fighter, monk, paladin, and ranger so far, see my signature) is that they are meant to be bumped up 1 or more tiers; this monk has the best stats but my revised fighter (for example) gets more attacks etc.

:smallsmile:

Like this, although where you say +10 feet I think it would be +10 foot... not sure there though, so don't quote me on it :smalltongue:

0.o *any* other modifier? hmm, I would say *except at 15th (or X) level* for the max wisdom bonus so that theoretically if they boost it really high they can still multiclass...

Hmm, any skill check... not sure how I feel about that...with this you almost never lose a concentration check for your powers...

Meh, I would allow them the increased damage of a monk, one of the things I liked about them... except that you can take superior unarmed strike and you get 2d6 at 20th vs the SRD monk's 2d8 -.-'

0.o I have to say this is powerful, except you made them key *practically everything* off of Wisdom so this is good for HP and skills... and I guess ability damage/drain...

Bah, this is a +11 to each score!

Basically evasion and mettle rolled into one.

Hmm, some ideas for new features:
1. A smite (opposing alignment feature)
2. I kind of liked the old flurry... and as is they do not have IUS so they provoke an AoO with every unarmed hit...
3. Mobility: Think swim/climb speeds, ability to run on walls etc.
4. Some Kind of ki power, whether it is the ability to make a ranged unarmed strike by putting force through the air etc.

EDIT: Fixed some quote issues
EDIT 2: Fixed another quote, saw previous post.
I have to agree, this definitely is really powerful, in fact I think I would throw this against an average wizard... all good saves with what is basically evasion + mettle... I could do a write up of his defensive stats but I believe that you (will) get the idea

Re:foot/feet - I agree it should be foot, but the SRD uses feet. I did foot for my revised fighter and feet here, to split the difference :D

Any other modifier is meant to refer to Str/Con/Dex/Int/Cha. The class level limit is to prevent dipping in monk; and if you invest 15 or however many levels then you're probably going to cover even a huge Wis modifier anyways.

Assuming 18 starting Wis, +5 inherent, +6 enhancement, +5 from levelling up - total Wis 34; final wisdom modifier +12 is easily covered by class levels.

Serenity - you can definitely still lose Concentration checks haha. Again, taking 10 doesn't give you a net bonus, just averages out your rolls (it'll help if you would have rolled badly otherwise but you still need to invest skill ranks to increase your upper limit for the check).

Re: unarmed damage - see my reply to nonsi above. I do admit that I dithered over how to handle this... might give the damage increases automatically after all. I was just trying to create a more basic chassis (e.g. none of the Deflect Arrows wuxia flavour unless you build around it).

Re: ideas - smite - I think I'll leave that to paladins
-AoO for unarmed strikes - shucks you're right I forgot about that! I'll have to decide about Improved Unarmed Strike... either make it a feat tax or give it to them as a bonus feat. Flurry I'll leave to revised fighters (as alacrity).
-Mobility - I was going to crib the Improved Athletics from the revised fighter too but dithered about it... maybe I'll give it anyways.
-That's something to be covered by the psionics (for people who want a wuxia or Jedi-type monk).

Hah it's good that a wizard might have trouble with this! Tier 2 Monk achieved! :D But the ability increases are a bit much, yes.