PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Fun little one shot campaign.

FTG72
2017-09-25, 12:06 PM
So in my regular campaign we have to hold it off because someone is going out of town. So as a side one we decided to do something fun. We chose random members in the group to build their characters. So i am building this one person character and i'm getting mine built by someone else. The one i'm building for always does a fighting heavy character. So this time i want either a skill heavy character or a class that buffs the party. But i actually don't know what to do with it. We're starting at level 6 and everyone got a magical item, magical armor, and some misc magical items. For me i got a plus 3 magical weapon, a plus 9 magical armor, and a plus 4 magical items. But i'm also used to making characters that are like. I'm going to go up to it's face and punch it really hard so this is actually a challenge for me too.

Tinkerer
2017-09-25, 12:17 PM
Well step one would be to go to the sub-thread that is actually for whatever system that you're using :smallsmile:

FTG72
2017-09-25, 12:58 PM
Well step one would be to go to the sub-thread that is actually for whatever system that you're using :smallsmile:

i didn't even think there was a sub-thread for the system that we're using. We just came up with it on the fly.

Tinkerer
2017-09-25, 01:55 PM
Okay I think I get you. You don't want to post in the Older D&D/AD&D & Other Systems because it's a homebrew system and that one normally discusses specific systems. Rather you are looking for general advice on building skilled or buffing characters across multiple systems, correct?

In that case I would recommend building a skilled character since for a skilled character the most important thing to know is the GM and the world. For a buffing character the most important thing to know is the rest of the party. Since you can't know the rest of the party I'd recommend skilled (although depending on the system there are some buffs that are always useful).

As stated when building a skilled character the most important thing to know is:

#1) The GM who you're playing under. Since we are posting in the Playground I will use D&D 3rd ed as my example here. How your GM interprets and allows skills is one of the most variable things in RPGs. For instance in some campaigns Forgery is a completely useless skill, in others it is a game breaker. In some campaigns Profession is strictly used to make a few extra gp's on the side, in others it let's you do anything related to the job turning one skill choice into several. One poster on this forum turned the Knowledge skill into an almost completely useless skill which gives out bad information on a success whereas normally it's viewed as one of the more useful skills giving you a heads up and insight into the world. Know your GM and know how they treat skills.

#2) The world you're playing in. Since it's a one shot do you know what the focus of the one shot will be? Are you going to be in a desert or in the mountains? Are you going to be delving into a dungeon or sailing the ocean blue? With a one shot you can get pretty specialized since you only need to prepare them for the situation they are going to be encountering.

For a buffing character since you don't know what would be needed if you decide to go with that then just go with the most general buffs you can get. Normally I recommend long lasting buffs but since this is for a one shot I'd actually go with something specialized and short term. So rather than buffing and sitting back the player has to decide what crucial moment they want to swing in their favour.

Don't know if this is the type of advice you were looking for but with the limited info it's the best I can do.