PDA

View Full Version : nWoD Pregnancy Question

Birdwood
2017-09-25, 03:57 PM
Hail all
Im back with more difficult questions

So this is a recurring interest of mine, to which I havent found specific answers

Supernatural Pregnancy

I do know that there was a post about adding a Pregnant Condition
But im talking more about the results

What happens when a supernatural couples with a mortal? Or even with another supernatural? What if the supernaturals are different? What will this child become?

JeenLeen
2017-09-25, 04:09 PM
I'm not an expert on nWoD, but I think it depends on the supernaturals in question.

From what I've read hunters (even those belonging to a faction that grants supernatural abilities) and mages are essentially humans with regards to ability to procreate, barring anything that directly modifies procreation (e.g., a Charon implant in the womb, or a mage doing some weird magic on their offspring or ability to make offspring).

Anyone with the knowledge and time up for making a cross-tabulation of the different supernatural templates?

Birdwood
2017-09-25, 04:16 PM
Yeah, what i do know is that:

Vampires can have sex by using Blood to turn their reproductive organs "on" for a while, but idk about fertility

Werewolves can have children, but idk what happens to said baby

Mages and Hunters are mostly human, so i gather that they birth mortals?

Changelings used to have a lower fertility rate, but otherwise could have kids as normal

Anything else is a mystery to me, and i thank anyone who does have info on the result of pairings (Supernatural-Mortal, Supernatural-Supernatural, and Supernatural-Different Supernatural)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2017-09-25, 04:52 PM
Some hunters are entirely human just with fun tech, so nothing changes.

One of the Demon books has information on the children of Demons.

The upcoming "Half-Damned" book will include rules for half-vampire Dhampyr.

Mages I believe have children. I'm not sure whether they're more likely to be Proximi than others, though.

Werewolf children iirc are more likely to be Werewolves or Wolf-blooded themselves.

Anonymouswizard
2017-09-25, 05:23 PM
Going through the ones I know:

Vampires can have sex if they want, but aren't NORMALLY fertile, at least in 1e. Dhampyr (spell as desired in my games) can be conceived by dark rituals.

Werewolf children were always Wolf Blooded in 1e, and more likely to be Werewolves than the children of a wolf blooded (the chance ups for both if the other parent is a Wolf Blooded). I don't own 2e, but I believe it's the same, but without the 'children of two werewolves are evil ghost babies'.

Mages are human in this case. Got no clue about Proximi.

Promethean children will probably be based on whoever the reproductive organs are from, if they even can. IIRC they're immune to Promethean weirdness.

Hunters are even more human than mages in this respect, bar a couple of Conspiracies (which just pass their heritage related conspiracy stuff on). I recommend using protection, family tends to make the life of a hunter harder.

I remember that something strange happens to the kids of Changelings.

For Sin-Eaters, their body is still human (at least compared to Vampires, Werewolves, Changelings, ect.), so I suspect it'll just be a human kind with possible minor ghostly or necromantic powers.

For Mummies, I have literally no clue.

Demons do have a rule, although I can't remember it all. Honestly I'm not into this game, I significantly preferred Fallen and Descent, while good, is not what I want in a demon game.

Beast I have no clue.

For Deviants, I suppose it depends on if the changes included your reproductive organs.

Birdwood
2017-09-25, 05:36 PM
Thank you all for the answers

I was wondering if there was some kind of generic ruling for this; i do believe i read once that mixing stuff up ended w a 50/50 chance for what the child would become, but i suppose it was a personal thing :p

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2017-09-26, 06:21 AM
Mummies are immortal corpse-gods. No kids for them.

JeenLeen
2017-09-26, 08:24 AM
Thank you all for the answers

I was wondering if there was some kind of generic ruling for this; i do believe i read once that mixing stuff up ended w a 50/50 chance for what the child would become, but i suppose it was a personal thing :p

Yeah, that sounds like a houserule. Possibly a good one based on trying to make inconsistent several in-consistent rules from different 'race' books, but not an official rule.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure this was accurate for oWoD. Note that the metaphysics of werewolves and vampires is very different in nWoD, so I would not think it is applicable.

Mages are just humans with an awakened soul. Their kids are normal kids. The kids probably are more likely to awaken and become mages, but not because of genetics. It would be because they are raised in an environment conducive to awakening (believing in the supernatural, seeing it, etc.).

Shapeshifters (generic term: fera) have kids as normal, either animal kids if mating with animals or human if mating with humans. Such are kinfolk--meaning they are more likely to become shifters and more likely to bear shifters. This is because, in oWoD, being a shapeshifter is a genetic trait. Note that in oWoD there are several breeds: were-wolf, were-cat, were-shark, were-raven, etc.
In nWoD, I think this genetic trait stuff was done away with. Not 100% certain.

Hunters are normal humans, biologically. Would bear kids normally.
Interesting idea: one hunter healing power seems to restore the 'platonic ideal' of the lost body part. If this was used to heal reproductive organs, I could see the kids having 0% chance of any genetic abnormalies since the gametes would be 'pure'.

Vampires, in general, cannot sire children. However, vampires of very thin blood (13th+ generation? Maybe 14th?) are so 'weakly' vampiric that some of them can actually have a child. I forget the rules, but there's a book on dhampyrs (sp) that goes into it, or maybe it's a book about the Time of Thin Blood. Humanity rating might impact it, too; don't remember.
Any vamp can spend blood to be active, but having blood pumping in the organs doesn't impact having children.
nWoD doesn't have generation like oWoD, so not applicable. Could potentially use this as the basis for some rules, though.

Kuei-jin (Chinese/Japenese vampires) are metaphysically distinct from regular vamps. Those with high yang energy can have children. Their 'morality' stat might also play into it--don't recall. I think the Keui-jin book talked about what their kids are like, if there is any difference from normal humans.

Changelings are normal humans with a fey soul 'added on'. So, although I haven't read a ruling on it, I would think they could have normal kids. Note that only few changelings stay changelings into adulthood--most lose their magical nature as mundane reality squashes it--so it would be rare to have a changeling old enough to have kids. But it does happen.

Not sure on Mummy, although I think they are biologically alive and thus could have normal kids.
Not sure at all on Demon, although, similar to Mummy, I think they are biologically alive and thus could have normal kids. But that's just speculation.
For both Mummy and Demon, aren't their bodies essentially a body of a mortal--either still alive or just recently dead but revived--possessed by an ancient being?

Pretty obviously, wraiths (aka, ghosts) and Risen (aka, zombies) can't bear kids. Well, maybe some rare Arcanoi could let them create a physical body that could sire children... but I don't see it happening.
...actually, thinking on Risen... maybe Hidden (those that are so advanced they can pass as humans if they wish) could sire kids. Not sure. I'd think not, though.

Pretty sure in oWoD supernaturals mating with supernatural doesn't do anything special, except any offspring of shapeshifters would be kinfolk.

EDIT: I forgot that two fera having a kid results in a metis, which is basically a really deformed kid, albeit with some benefits. For that reason, most shifters forbid mating with other shifters. A few exceptions apply; for example, were-rats are fairly cool with metis and so metis don't have as bad a reputation amongst them.
Also... not sure what would happen if, say, a werewolf had kids with a werecat. Shouldn't cause a metis, since you can't be a shifter of 2+ breeds at the same time. Maybe kinfolk with both genes?

I heard that if a kinfolk awakens and become a Mage, they will never become a Fera as well, and vice-versa. Something about how the parts of the soul work, such that becoming one precludes the other occurring. So no trying for werewolf mages by having mages and fera breed.

comicshorse
2017-09-26, 09:35 AM
Kuei-jin (Chinese/Japenese vampires) are metaphysically distinct from regular vamps. Those with high yang energy can have children. Their 'morality' stat might also play into it--don't recall. I think the Keui-jin book talked about what their kids are like, if there is any difference from normal humans.

Yang aspected Kuei-jin can indeed have children called Dhampyrs. Going by the basic book they live hundreds of years and can use Demon Chi like a Kuei-Jin. A few manage to master the lower levels of some Shintai ( Kuei-Jin Disciplines)
Though all of this refers to OWoD

Braininthejar2
2017-09-26, 11:56 AM
Yang aspected Kuei-jin can indeed have children called Dhampyrs. Going by the basic book they live hundreds of years and can use Demon Chi like a Kuei-Jin. A few manage to master the lower levels of some Shintai ( Kuei-Jin Disciplines)Though all of this refers to OWoD

A Kuei-Jin has to be imbalanced towards Yang (to the point of "nearly alive and emotionally unstable") to sire children. In case of female, she'd have to be imbalanced through the whole pregnancy, and spend yang chi daily to maintain the fetus.

Dhampyr children are a mixed blessing - their existene is a shame to a parent who got himself imbalanced and got his curse on another being - some venerable ancestors are violently hostile towards them. On the other hand, they are daywalker relatives, which makes them very useful in everyday affairs.

Physically, they are humans, though their aging slows considerably past puberty. Also, much more likely to return as kuei-jin if killed. They are also natural action movie heroes - their birth is so unlikely, it messes up their destiny. In effect they have the weirdest luck; they can learn to fudge rolls in their favour, but they naturally attract trouble.

Anderlith
2017-10-04, 05:26 PM
You are talking about nWoD, who made a point to include male pregnancy. Its really up to the storyteller/group. I'm sure the writers for nWoD would be super excited to hear about a demon/Promethean love child dating the spirit of a dead changling. Really. Anything goes with sexuality in nWoD.

Anonymouswizard
2017-10-05, 01:35 AM
I fell sorry for the transgender werewolves. Darn inconvenient healing factor.

Braininthejar2
2017-10-05, 04:10 PM

I think there are rituals that prevent a werewolf's body from pushing out cybernetic implants (one sub-faction plays with those), so there probably are some rituals that would make a surgery stick. One's tribe approach to "second-guessing nature" can be a different matter - they probably run a full spectrum of possible reactions.

Anderlith
2017-10-05, 09:27 PM

Maybe that's what klaives are for?