PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorcerer Origin: Pale Master (WIP/Looking for Help)

Giegue
2017-09-25, 08:22 PM
As the title says. One thing I've really wanted for this game is a charisma-based necromancer who can match the wizard par for par when it comes to undead minions. This is mainly due to the Dread Necromancer from 3.5e being my favorite class in that game, and a general love of Necromancy. As a result, I've decided to create this, to both bring back another old favorite prestige class concept from the past while also providing the solid, minion-focused, fullcasting, cha-based necromancer option I so desperately want. I have no idea how good it is, however, and as it stands it may need some serious balance help. So any and all help on that front is appreciated. Due to it being a WIP, I've omitted the fluff. So please do not criticize on lack of fluff. Anyway, here is the (rough) subclass...

Pale Master

http://amiawiki.shatuga.com/images/thumb/2/2a/Pale-Master.jpg/240px-Pale-Master.jpg

Macabre Lore

Due to the twisted origin of your magic, you can draw upon your knowledge of vile lore to cast necromantic spells beyond the scope of traditional sorcery. Starting at 1st level, when your Spellcasting feature lets you select a Sorcerer cantrip or Sorcerer spell known, that spell can be any necromancy spell of a level to which you have access, or a spell chosen from the sorcerer spell list. You can cast any Necromancy spell with the (ritual) tag that you know as a Sorcerer spell as a ritual.

Additionally, you learn how to wear and cast spells in bone armor. You can wear light armor as if you where proficient as long as that armor is made mostly or completely of bone.

Animate Minion

Also at 1st level, you can channel the necrotic energies within you to animate the dead. As an action, you can expend a spell slot to raise an undead creature from a corpse you can see within 30ft. The creature you create can be any type of undead (including an incorporeal undead), as long as it’s CR doesn’t exceed 1/4th the level of the slot you expended. (rounded to the nearest CR.).

These undead remain reanimated for 1 hour, or until you dismiss them with a bonus action. When an undead you create with this feature dies or is dismissed, it crumbles to dust or discorporates, leaving it unable to be reanimated again. The undead you create cannot create spawn or other undead, and you can command them as-if they were created by an Animate Dead spell cast by you. These undead always act immediately after your initiative in combat.

No matter how many times you use this feature, you can only control a number of undead equal to or less than your Charisma modifier. Undead created that exceed this limit are uncontrolled and hostile to all living creatures (including you). Upon reanimation, such undead will try to attack the nearest living creature.

Your animation abilities also improve as you grow in power. Starting at Sorcerer level 5, the undead you animate with this feature remain reanimated indefinitely instead of for 1 hour. Also starting at Sorcerer level 5, you can spend 1 sorcery point when you use this feature to increase the maximum CR of the creature you can create to the level of the expended slot. (instead of the usual 1/4th level.)

Aura of Desecration

At 6th level you learn how to let the necrotic energies within you spill out into the world, empowering the undead under your command. You can activate or dismiss your Aura of Desecration as an action. When activated, your Aura of Desecration remains active for 1 minute, or until you lose concentration (as-if concentrating on a spell). While this aura is active, all undead under your control within 30ft of you gain the following benefits:

They have advantage on weapon attack rolls.
Their weapon attacks deal additional necrotic damage equal to your proficiency bonus
If they would take Necrotic damage from a Sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher that you cast, they heal hit points equal to the damage they would take instead. If they have resistance to Necrotic damage, your Sorcerer spells ignore that resistance for this feature's effects.

While you are concentrating on this aura, you can also concentrate on 1 Sorcerer spell. However, if you would make a concentration check while concentrating on both this feature and a spell, you make a single check for both. (If you fail this check you lose concentration on both this feature and the spell.)

Undead Graft

At level 14th level, you have given into horrible necrophilic urges and removed one of your arms. You replace it with an undead appendage that can either be a skeletal arm, or a zombie arm. When you do this, you increase your strength score by 1, to a maximum of 20. Additionally, this undead arm possesses several deadly powers. As an action, you can make a melee spell attack with your undead arm. If the attacks hits, you can spend sorcery points to use one of the following special attacks:

Paralyzing Touch: You may spend 2 sorcery points to force your opponent to make a Constitution saving throw vs. your Sorcerer Spell Save DC. On failed save, they are paralyzed for one round, but they can make a saving throw with advantage whenever they are damaged to end this effect on themselves.

Degenerative Touch: You may spend a number of sorcery points up to 5 and deal a d8 of necrotic damage per point spent to a foe. When you do this, they also make a Constitution saving throw vs. your Sorcerer Spell Save DC. If they succeed, they take half the damage they would be dealt. If they fail, they take the full amount of damage and their hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage dealt.

Deathless Master's Touch: You may spend a number of sorcery points up to 5 and deal a d6 of necrotic damage per point to the target. When you do this, they also make a Constitution saving throw vs. your Sorcerer Spell Save DC. If they succeed, they take half the damage they would be dealt. If you slay a Medium humanoid in this way, they rise 1 round later as a zombie under your control.

Command the Dead

Starting at 18th level, you can use magic to bring undead under your control, even those created by other spellcasters. As an action, you can choose one undead that you can see within 60 feet of you. That creature must make a Charisma saving throw against your Sorcerer spell save DC. If it succeeds, you can’t use this feature on it again. If it fails, it becomes friendly to you and obeys your commands until you use this feature again.

Intelligent undead are harder to control in this way. If the target has an Intelligence of 8 or higher, it has advantage on the saving throw. If it fails the saving throw and has an Intelligence of 12 or higher, it can repeat the saving throw at the end of every hour until it succeeds and breaks free.

In addition, once per short or long rest, you may spend 3 sorcerery points to use this feature again without losing control of an Undead creature you've already used this feature on. You may only do this once until you either voluntarily give up control of one or one of them is destroyed (So, you'll never have Command of more than two creatures

Ixidor92
2017-09-25, 09:13 PM
A lot of this is really cool, and I would first like to compliment the amount of thought you've put into this. That being said, I do have a few suggestions with regards mostly to the strength of creatures you can summon, and the total number of creatures you can summon.

First off, limiting the creatures you can summon simply by number (especially with how powerful they can be later) seems like it could lead to abuse. Instead of making it a number of undead, I would say limit the total CR of the undead allowed to be controlled. This way (much like with conjuration spells with a similar use) the pale master needs to decide whether he or she would rather raise fewer, stronger undead--or many weaker undead. A number cap might still be needed for higher levels, so as to avoid having a dozen undead around the palemaster at all times, which I'm assuming was your intent.

I'm not sure I agree with the spending of Sorcery points to boost the CR of a summoned undead with its current limit. Right now the jump in power when you get that ability is immense. Of course without it the Palemaster could only summon a CR 2 undead with an 8th level spell slot, but a more moderate change might be something of the following nature: spend a flat amount of sorcery points (probably 2 or 3) and you can bolster the animation in one of two ways. Either double the CR limit of the creature you would summon (so effectively setting the limit at 1/2 the spell slot used) or if the corpse would result in a particularly powerful creature (such as a giant skeleton or a dragon skeleton) the skeleton is animated as long as the CR of the resulting creature is not above that of the spell slot used. This allows for strong creatures, but requires that the palemaster use a corpse that allows for it.

I'd love to hear your reasoning for why you set things up the way you did, as I don't have a terrible amount of experience with necromancy.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2017-09-26, 01:33 PM
This is awesome! My only concern is what sets this apart from Shadow Sorcerers, Necromancer Wizards, Oathbreaker Paladins, and Death Domain clerics. Because as a sorcerer, you tend to be focused on blasting everything that moves. This seems to be far more of a controller, like a Necromancer Wizard, which I feel like it shouldn’t be. Maybe more things like boosts to necrotic damage like how elemental adept works? Couple that with some of the controller features you already have (I love the first level ability) so you can be a hybrid of blaster and controller.

Giegue
2017-09-28, 04:02 PM
Thats a good idea, but does not fit the fluff of the Pale Master. As for how the Pale Master differs from the wizard, well, it's a sorcerer, not a wizard and nothing about the core sorcerer class pushes it into being a blaster. In fact, the only reason people feel the class leans that way is the archetypes lean that way. If the sorcerer had a valid controller archetype, you can bet it would be played that way, and Favored Soul very much falls into that. However, favored soul is very much a buff/heal-type support, while this fills the much-needed niche' of a sorcerer archetype focused on control. So yes, this is simmilar in role to the wizard, but quite different from what other sorcerer archetypes do, which is the point of the archetype. It allows the sorcerer to be a controller, something that the main class features of the base class certainly support.

That being said, I like the idea of a hybrid undead minionmancer/blaster, so I made an altered version of this archetype if your interested. You can find the link here. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gXmjm96LgLc1lYLONaIW9dvyIHQLdsJjlvUYU5XNrSM/edit?usp=sharing) No idea if its balanced.

Likewise, I made some changes to the Pale Master. I am not sure how balanced they are, so I'd appreciate opinions on them.