PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited uses of any one spell - make a superhero

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-25, 09:25 PM
With the exception of things like wish, miracle, manyspell, limited wish, arcane fusion etc. Choose any one spell for any character you like to have unlimited daily uses of it. Give him or her a superhero name, and extrapolate on how cool you think they are and why.

Zancloufer
2017-09-25, 09:53 PM
What about Angel Summoner and his ability to summon a hoard of celestial avengers (Gate)?

Criminals take someone hostage for ransom money? Summon a hoard of angels.

Drug Smuggler cartel on a boat? Summon the angels!

A large group of trigger happy terrorists in a large building rigged to blow at any moment? Send in the angels.

Though the ability to summon a hoard of celestial super beings might be missing the point somewhat for this thread.

THEChanger
2017-09-25, 10:30 PM
We call him....Collateral (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17764303&postcount=4) Damage Man. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/controlWinds.htm)

Cruiser1
2017-09-26, 12:12 AM
Nightingale (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Nightingale) has unlimited use of Regenerate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/regenerate.htm). It heals a good amount of hp, cures fatigue and exhaustion, and even restores severed limbs. Because even healbots can be superheroes! :smallcool:

Her evil villainous opposite is someone with the exact same ability, but instead of healing everybody for free, they're a torturer who uses continual healing to keep their victims from dying. :smallyuk:

Zaq
2017-09-26, 12:24 AM
Can we make a supervillain instead? Because I feel like Suggestion at-will could go a hell of a long way in that department.

Ooh, I know, Telekinesis! We don't even really need to try with that one.

One of the quasi-real [shadow] spells, maybe? Feels like that could make you into, like, The Idealist or something.

mastermisha1
2017-09-26, 12:30 AM
For some reason, my firsf though was Horse-man, the hero who uses nothibg but regal procession to achieve greatness

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-26, 12:31 AM
Can we make a supervillain instead? Because I feel like Suggestion at-will could go a hell of a long way in that department.

Ooh, I know, Telekinesis! We don't even really need to try with that one.

One of the quasi-real [shadow] spells, maybe? Feels like that could make you into, like, The Idealist or something.

Go for it. It's all the same to me.

Ravens_cry
2017-09-26, 12:33 AM

Try making a hero with that power for an extra challenge.

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-26, 01:36 AM
Do Shadow Conjuration and Greater Shadow Conjuration fall into this category?

absolutely

Esprit15
2017-09-26, 01:45 AM
Disguise Self has numerous uses for a spy-like hero.

Luccan
2017-09-26, 03:01 AM
Are we assuming a certain caster level?

frogglesmash
2017-09-26, 03:50 AM
What about Angel Summoner and his ability to summon a hoard of celestial avengers (Gate)?

Criminals take someone hostage for ransom money? Summon a hoard of angels.

Drug Smuggler cartel on a boat? Summon the angels!

A large group of trigger happy terrorists in a large building rigged to blow at any moment? Send in the angels.

Though the ability to summon a hoard of celestial super beings might be missing the point somewhat for this thread.

I think this would work best if the Angel Summoner had a cool, and edgy partner. Perhaps some sort of BMX Bandit.

Thurbane
2017-09-26, 03:56 AM
Unlimited Iron Body: I'd call him...Colossus. :smalltongue:

arkangel111
2017-09-26, 04:12 AM
The Tenta-killer! Black tentacles all the way.

Celestia
2017-09-26, 04:29 AM
In that case, I'd go with Shapechange. I can turn into any creature I'm familiar with, whether it's a tardigrade, whale, stranger, or celebrity. I can even become an incorporeal version of myself, or a cloud of gas or vapor. Not only that, but I regain hit points each time I activate the spell, making it possible for me to effectively vanish into the microscopic realm and heal my injuries while I'm incorporeal. Can't really think of a name, and it doesn't seem thematically appropriate for a shapeshifter to settle for a single hidden identity.
How about Beast Boy? :smallwink:

Honestly, I'd pick shapechange, too. I've always been fascinated with transformation abilities, and it would give me flight, too.

Fouredged Sword
2017-09-26, 08:52 AM
Shatter. There are so many uses for the ability to break any item at a distance.

Bluydee
2017-09-26, 09:24 AM
Unlimited Giant Size. Be one of the many superheroes with the power of grow big

Nifft
2017-09-26, 09:32 AM
Dominate Person has some obvious utility (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Zebediah_Killgrave_%28Earth-616%29).

Might not be quite as much fun as a hero, but meh. You'd be able to look at yourself in the mirror, and that's nice too.

Wartex1
2017-09-26, 09:37 AM
One could be a Super Lawyer with Zone of Truth.

Jowgen
2017-09-26, 09:48 AM
Shrink item.

On a hero, we get the ultimate disaster relief hero: Supply-Man. He can easily transport massive qualtities of food, medical supplies and all that stuff to wherever it is needed. He can air-drop it from his helicopter into natural disaster zones, or smuggle it covertly into civil war zones where the local population is caught in the cross-fire.

On a villain, we can get the world's greatest thief with a penchant for bombs and arson: Bomb Burglar. He strategically places explosives all over his bank of choice, and when it blows the hell up he simply walks in, shrinks all the loot to convenient size, and then leaves. And/or he just leaves stuff all over and holds the city hostage. As a bonus, he has a massive wardrobe of disguises in his pocket so he can avoid being easily spotted. He can have literally any number of things up his sleeve. So versatile.

CharonsHelper
2017-09-26, 09:49 AM
A gun-slinging hero with Quickened True Strike. If you want to go nonlethal just go the Lone Ranger route of shooting guns out of their hands all the time.

Altair_the_Vexed
2017-09-26, 09:55 AM
Time Stop!

https://youtu.be/T9GFyZ5LREQ?t=20s

... except it doesn't work that way in the game, dammit! :(

Amphetryon
2017-09-26, 09:57 AM
Cure Disease. Superhero name: Doctor.

DMVerdandi
2017-09-26, 10:05 AM
THERAPIST
Mindrape from book of evil darkness

With power over the mind, dominating evil, and wielding the mighty rod of justice, THERAPIST completely leaves minds blank of his presence ever being there, but makes deep and lasting changes to the psyches of all who would obstruct his path of the brave hero.

Some shall be reformed, others cured of memories that make life unbearable, but the worst will be left sobbing in a puddle of their own tears.

Menzath
2017-09-26, 10:57 AM
I think I would go with true creation.

Anything you want or need can literally be made in an instant. Sure if you want it to work you need knowledge of how to make it, but that's easy enough. Food, tools, weapons, medicine. heck any non-living matter works. Partner with a bunch of engineers and make a crazy space station habitat to support humanity, or just fight crime in awesome body armor.

He would be, The Toolbox.

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-26, 11:11 AM
THERAPIST

With power over the mind, dominating evil, and wielding the mighty rod of justice, THERAPIST completely leaves minds blank of his presence ever being there, but makes deep and lasting changes to the psyches of all who would obstruct his path of the brave hero.

Some shall be reformed, others cured of memories that make life unbearable, but the worst will be left sobbing in a puddle of their own tears.

What would you call this character if they boosted knowledge skills to become an analyst.

Fouredged Sword
2017-09-26, 11:23 AM
THERAPIST

His villain counterpart just adds a single space into the name.

gkathellar
2017-09-26, 11:33 AM
Greater Mighty Wallop! We can call him ... Iron Fiiii ... huh.

Try making a hero with that power for an extra challenge.

We will call him: the Unfortunate Implication!

Bronk
2017-09-26, 01:27 PM
I'd go with Greater Teleport: The Traveler, and his alter ego, the Super Gopher! (Not evil, just not specifically heroic.)

When the Traveler isn't ferrying people to and from his newly established moon base (not our moon, but A moon), he's watching the news for disaster reports, then porting in, grabbing people in peril, and porting back out.

Psyren
2017-09-26, 01:45 PM
Discern Location - I'd never lose my keys again!

A villain with Bestow Curse or Demand would be interesting.

Mato
2017-09-26, 02:52 PM
The Tenta-killer! Black tentacles all the way.And his arch nemesis Tentaflame! Daltim's fiery tentacles all the way.

I think this would work best if the Angel Summoner had a cool, and edgy partner. Perhaps some sort of BMX Bandit.The Harley Bandit, using phantom motorcycle out of modern. Better than wearing an orange jecket and using body out side a body I suppose.

Transcend mortality would be interesting, nearly invincible but since you have to keep renewing the duration the hero is never allowed to sleep more than a few seconds at a time and eventually is driven mad. Just like Deadpool.

Wartex1
2017-09-26, 03:06 PM
What about material components? If those could be ignored, then I'd go with Drawmij's Instant Summons. Basically always have what I need without having to pack much.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-09-26, 03:37 PM

Is that a Sentinels of the Multiverse reference?

KillianHawkeye
2017-09-26, 04:51 PM
For some reason, I imagined a super hero whose only super power was the jump spell. The ability to easily jump across a 40-foot gap or leap about 10 feet straight up, maybe add in a weapon or (more likely) some basic martial arts ability, and you've got yourself a bonafide fighter of crime!

I shall name him/her Vault.

His nemesis would be Inverse, a villain with the power to reverse gravity.

Thurbane
2017-09-26, 05:05 PM
How about a senior citizen born in 1922, who can use Defenestrating Sphere at will? I shall call him...

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/w/win95-logo.jpg
WINDOWS 95!

Segev
2017-09-26, 05:17 PM
Para-Gone, who makes his foes vanish forever! He never says "die," so he "sends them to another dimension!" By casting plane shift at will.

lord_khaine
2017-09-26, 05:34 PM
Para-Gone is going to be kinda limited by his range of touch though. Foiled by a long stick with a nail in :smalltongue:

Feantar
2017-09-26, 05:58 PM
THERAPIST

Damn you, I had the exact same idea, you're in my head!
Oh wait...:smalleek:

I think that the best heroes are those who have something to offer in every situation.

Case in Point *drumroll* The Renaissance Man. Special Power: Guidance of the Avatar.
Is the villain high on a ledge? Jump or Climb. Is this a hostage situation? Bluff or Diplomacy. Is this an unknown entity? Knowledge(Anything). Was there an explosion with a lot of victims? Heal. Did Timmy fall down the well? Uh... climb, again.

His counterpart would be the villain, "Perfecto". He has Glibness, and has convinced everyone, including other heroes, that he is the best person alive and they should all defer to him. :smallbiggrin:

PS: (Guidance +20 Impossible Bluff +20 = 40, vs Glibness +30 - that's why they can be rivals).

Calimehter
2017-09-26, 09:13 PM
Heroes' Feast, unlimited use per day. 😁

We shall call him "Party Time , Excellent!" . . . or maybe some Animal House meme . . . can't lose either way.

TotallyNotEvil
2017-09-26, 10:53 PM
Unlimited Iron Body: I'd call him...Colossus. :smalltongue:

Now a spell I dearly want to use, and would be awesome for the face-puncher type, is Body of War.

Iron Giant.

Ranged Ranger
2017-09-26, 11:00 PM
If only Beast Boy could turn into an ethereal bacterium. :smallamused:
Beast Boy: Hmm, maybe you should call me Beast Man from now on.
Raven: We're having a moment here, don't ruin it.
:smallbiggrin:

Anywho, I came up with a team: Shadow, Flicker, Flame, and Fade. Shadow has Wall of Gloom; Flicker has Blink; Fade has Dimention Door; and Flame has Sunburst.

TotallyNotEvil
2017-09-26, 11:29 PM
The wondrous japanese triplets: Evard, Daltim (https://dndtools.net/spells/shining-south--25/daltims-fiery-tentacles--3267/)and Kyristan (https://dndtools.net/spells/shining-south--25/kyristans-malevolent-tentacles--3283/).

@edit: This is too much fun:
Princess: Uses SNA IV to bring about infinite Unicorns.

Mordaedil
2017-09-27, 01:13 AM
Sounds a bit like a warlock to me.

Would that mean we'd be looking at least, lesser, greater and dark powers in terms of power tiers?

Wraith
2017-09-27, 03:33 AM
I'd choose Polymorph Any Object.

Day to day, it'd just be useful to me in a million small ways. That penny I just picked up out of the gutter? BAM! Now it's a $20 note. That mouldy apple I found skulking at the bottom of the fruit bowl? BAM! Fresh and tasty 6" sub with steak and cheese.

And then onto the super-heroing. The barrel of toxic waste that is otherwise going to leak into the environment and poison everything nearby for the next 50,000 years? BAM! It's now a block of biodegradable paper. That nuclear bomb built by the terrorist organisation and set to go off in 11 seconds? BAM! Now it's an avant-garde surrealist sculpture that I can donate to the Tate Modern. All those rifles and swords being carried by the Dark Lord's Stormtroopers as they advance upon the borders of the cowering neighbour nations? BAM! Candy canes and LARP-safe replicas.

And that's just if I were in a good mood.... :smallamused:

Luccan
2017-10-03, 01:19 AM

Day to day, it'd just be useful to me in a million small ways. That penny I just picked up out of the gutter? BAM! Now it's a $20 note. That mouldy apple I found skulking at the bottom of the fruit bowl? BAM! Fresh and tasty 6" sub with steak and cheese.

And then onto the super-heroing. The barrel of toxic waste that is otherwise going to leak into the environment and poison everything nearby for the next 50,000 years? BAM! It's now a block of biodegradable paper. That nuclear bomb built by the terrorist organisation and set to go off in 11 seconds? BAM! Now it's an avant-garde surrealist sculpture that I can donate to the Tate Modern. All those rifles and swords being carried by the Dark Lord's Stormtroopers as they advance upon the borders of the cowering neighbour nations? BAM! Candy canes and LARP-safe replicas.

Isn't the duration only permanent if it's a close enough material? I mean, don't get me wrong, in most of those situations that just means you have more time to permanently solve the problem, but I don't think turning the nuke into a weird sculpture is a permanent fix.

Silva Stormrage
2017-10-03, 04:58 AM
Isn't the duration only permanent if it's a close enough material? I mean, don't get me wrong, in most of those situations that just means you have more time to permanently solve the problem, but I don't think turning the nuke into a weird sculpture is a permanent fix.

It would be, which just shows how utterly insane PAO is.

In the same kingdom (minerals/objects): +5
Same Class (Make the sculpture metal): +2
Same size (Big sculpture but eh): +2
Same intelligence or lower (Unintelligent): +2
Related: (Make the sculpture about nuclear weapons): +2

You need 9 for a permanent duration.

As for me, I would probably go mind rape as well though mainly for the auto learn everything anyone else knows feature. Assuming we can't go with any option that just gives us every possible power (Shapechange -> Zodar, Gate -> Infinite Solars, etc etc)

Other interesting options.

Hypercognition if we are allowed psionic powers: Solve any puzzle/problem, absolutely insane for research.

Greater Bestow Curse: Can have some really interesting mechanics behind what qualifies as a "Curse".

Summon Monster: Lots of versatility including at will raise dead and healing options.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-10-03, 07:04 AM
Fusion.

Bite of the werebear is good for a more traditional brick hero.

NontheistCleric
2017-10-03, 07:22 AM
There are some points in need of clarification with this exercise. Namely:

How are spells with material components and/or XP costs handled?
What caster level do we use for these spells?
Are these spell-like abilities or are we somehow casting these spells without spell slots? (this also answers the first question)

Hypercognition if we are allowed psionic powers: Solve any puzzle/problem, absolutely insane for research.

Even if we're only allowed spells, you can still get some psionics with Mental Pinnacle. It's another one of those that needs a defined caster level, though.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-10-03, 08:41 PM
Divine Power 1/day. I call him...All Might

Coidzor
2017-10-03, 08:42 PM
Transmute Metal to Wood. They shall call him, THE NERFBAT!

flappeercraft
2017-10-03, 08:59 PM
Disintegrate. We shall call him Pew-Pew

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-10-03, 09:23 PM
There's always the mass orgasmic vibrations spell, from the BoED...

flappeercraft
2017-10-03, 09:26 PM
There's always the mass orgasmic vibrations spell, from the BoED...

I think you mean BoEF not BoED.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-10-03, 09:54 PM
I think you mean BoEF not BoED.Right. Sorry. BoED believes that anything related to pleasure or procreation is evil.

Nifft
2017-10-03, 09:56 PM
Right. Sorry. BoED believes that anything related to pleasure or procreation is evil.

Nobody deliberately reads the Book of Erectile Dysfunction.

Sapreaver
2017-10-04, 09:41 PM
Flesh to stone. Call him the stoner. He gets all the criminals stoned!

White Blade
2017-10-04, 10:45 PM
Eli, Shivering Touch: A heroine who cripples her foes with a touch.

Adam, Speak with Animals: A heroic, druidy figure, once an animal trainer.

The Black Dog, Create Undead: Mostly uses dogs bodies.

But really, you need to be better at being places than the cops to be a superhero that means divination, time stop, or teleport or a summon effect that gets the job done. The earliest level you can get it, by extension, is second level detect thoughts. First level charm person maybe.

Deophaun
2017-10-05, 01:16 AM
Improvisation. Name him Jack.

His nemesis would be Inverse, a villain with the power to reverse gravity.
I would think the Gigaslave would be more of a concern, honestly.

Coidzor
2017-10-05, 04:18 AM
Sanctify The Wicked would give us... The Gemprisoner?

Nifft
2017-10-05, 08:50 AM
Sanctify The Wicked would give us... The Gemprisoner?

Gemwarden.

Crystal Clarity.

Facets of Justice.

Bright Truth Unveiled.

Prismatic Light of Reason.

KillianHawkeye
2017-10-05, 09:04 AM
I would think the Gigaslave would be more of a concern, honestly.

Wrong Inverse, LOL :smallamused:

Goaty14
2017-10-05, 03:31 PM
Geas/Quest!

We call him The Policeman! Help me w/ names...

Some of his best quotes are!

"Stop Killing People!"
"You should get job!"
"Say you're sorry!"
"Admit you have an abnormal fear of snakes!"
"You need to calm down!"

Like bluff, but better.

Kobold Esq
2017-10-05, 04:39 PM
Any number of personal buff spells make for classic heroes. Bite of the X, polymorph, shapechange, etc. Telekinesis or any number of blasting powers are similarly easy.

I think we need some NPCs though, like the cryptic old gypsy with at will augury.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-10-05, 05:41 PM
I think we need some NPCs though, like the cryptic old gypsy with at will augury.Madam Shibabawa? Is that you?

Oh, damn. Her crippling weakness against cough drops got her. Time for another rez, I guess.

Luccan
2017-10-06, 02:42 AM
Crushing Hand

Argent Fist

If he can somehow use multiple, it just gets better, as he swats aside bad guys with giant silvery floating hands. It's a shame you can't lift things with the spell.

Celestia
2017-10-06, 10:06 AM
Geas/Quest!

We call him The Policeman! Help me w/ names...
Hmm, just spit balling here, but how about Lelouche vi Britannia? lololol

Zaq
2017-10-06, 10:15 PM
How about Mount? Or its big brother, Regal Procession? (Or as I am not alone in calling it, Wall of Horse.) Those spells are pretty much hilarious enough when cast normally, but when you make them at-will AND make them your only spell (leading directly to "when all you have is a hammer"-style thinking), I'm pretty sure that nothing but glory awaits us.

I'm torn between the name being something like "The Squire" or trying to fuse "horse" and "horde" into an unholy pun.

Is that a Sentinels of the Multiverse reference?

But of course!

Goaty14
2017-10-06, 10:26 PM
Fireball.

We call him A Car Engine

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-10-06, 10:28 PM
How about Mount? Or its big brother, Regal Procession? (Or as I am not alone in calling it, Wall of Horse.) Those spells are pretty much hilarious enough when cast normally, but when you make them at-will AND make them your only spell (leading directly to "when all you have is a hammer"-style thinking), I'm pretty sure that nothing but glory awaits us.

I'm torn between the name being something like "The Squire" or trying to fuse "horse" and "horde" into an unholy pun.The Herdinator.

Tetsubo 57
2017-10-07, 04:19 PM
Dominate Person has some obvious utility (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Zebediah_Killgrave_%28Earth-616%29).

Might not be quite as much fun as a hero, but meh. You'd be able to look at yourself in the mirror, and that's nice too.

Dominate Monster is higher level and harder to resist. The minimum caster level would also make it last seventeen days.

Tetsubo 57
2017-10-07, 04:26 PM

The Metamorph!

Don't forget the ability to turn yourself into an elf and live for 900 years. Or in my case no longer be diabetic or have repetitive motion injuries. Help trans folk align their bodies perfectly with who they are. Grant amputees new limbs. Got a bad guy problem? Turn them into a chipmunk. Think of the cool Halloween costumes! Or special effects for movies. So many uses...

Quertus
2017-10-07, 07:18 PM
THERAPIST

Dang it, that was pretty much my idea! Except I named him The Corrections Facilitator. Your name is better.

Well, that was my second, better idea. My first fully-formed idea was Teleport Through Time on The Promethean. Find out exactly what happened, devise the perfect plan to counter it, go back in time and do that.

Pex
2017-10-07, 07:51 PM
Heal

Cure the sick and insane. Remove blindness and deafness. Cure all handicaps except missing limbs. The people will adore you. Your words are given more weight. You are an inspiration. People will do anything for you. Unlike charlatans you're the real deal.

Be a Superhero or a Supervillain. What is in your heart?

N0RKS
2017-10-08, 10:55 AM
Geas/Quest! He is, The Reformer

Wrongdoers beware! You've travelled the path of evil and injustice for too long, the only person that can help you now is yourself!

Tetsubo 57
2017-10-08, 11:50 AM
Heal

Cure the sick and insane. Remove blindness and deafness. Cure all handicaps except missing limbs. The people will adore you. Your words are given more weight. You are an inspiration. People will do anything for you. Unlike charlatans you're the real deal.

Be a Superhero or a Supervillain. What is in your heart?

I'd choose Mass Heal instead.

Guizonde
2017-10-08, 12:09 PM
why not power word: paralyze? we could call him polio!!

ok, that is a sick joke. sorry.

SirNibbles
2017-10-08, 12:19 PM
why not power word: paralyze? we could call him polio!!

ok, that is a sick joke. sorry.

I will not stand for such jokes. Neither will his victims.

Edit: My superhero would know Blindness/Deafness. He would blind enemies until they see the error of their ways.

Jormengand
2017-10-08, 03:17 PM
With the exception of things like wish, miracle, manyspell, limited wish, arcane fusion etc. Choose any one spell for any character you like to have unlimited daily uses of it. Give him or her a superhero name, and extrapolate on how cool you think they are and why.

The GONE series had a lot of these (for example, Caine Soren has at-will telekinesis and Dekka Talent has at-will reverse gravity), though "Superhero" is pushing it for most of them. Similarly, some video game characters are defined by, effectively, one or two spells (for example, both of DontNod Entertainment's protagonists - Nilin's modify memory and Max Caulfield's teleport through time, though neither works exactly like the spell).

I suppose this says something about the power level of 3.5 spells, though.

But which spell would actually be best? Well... Gate and Shapechange are probably the biggest contenders, although Eidolon is potentially powerful if you have more than one HD (so that you can take the negative level); the eidolon can create more eidolons and therefore you have infinite clones. Soul Dominion is also pretty neat, being able to take control of world leaders from where you're sitting right now. Finally, Contingent Resurrection is worth a look. Out of all of them, Gate is probably the best, being able to call upon powerful spellcasters to serve you utterly for the duration and potentially being able to convince them to help you for longer.

So congratulations, your superhero is a wannabe 20th-level truenamer. :smallamused:

Mato
2017-10-08, 08:12 PM
Hypercognition if we are allowed psionic powers: Solve any puzzle/problem, absolutely insane for research.Well it never says the information you learn is actually true or not, I'd rather just have Scholar's Touch. You could read every book in a library in a day or so and if you're concerned you need to study on a subject you can refresh by reading the entire book cover-to-cover ten times in about a minute.

Power Device (modern) can supply electrical and mechanical power for ten minutes per caster level and it works on gas ran engines and batteries as long as they are not larger than a houserule device or general-purpose vehicle. That'd be pretty handy and you wouldn't have to hide an army of undead in your basement turning a crank.

Rijan_Sai
2017-10-08, 11:49 PM
Animate Objects
The Toy Master

Crushing Despair
The Depressor

Eh... best I can come up with right now...