PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Fixed Spell (Feat)

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-09-26, 08:24 AM
Fixed spell [Metamagic]
your spells are consistent
Prerequistie: Any other Metamagic feat
Benifit: all effects that are random (IE: dmg, Healing, and roll) takes the average Roll. Spells that have a range longer than touch become 50 ft. Any spell with this metamagic feat applied to it is cast as a spell of +1 level higher

JNAProductions
2017-09-26, 11:56 AM
Fixed spell [Metamagic]
your spells are consistent
Prerequistie: Any other Metamagic feat
Benifit: all effects that are random (IE: dmg, Healing, and roll) takes the average Roll. Spells that have a range longer than touch become 50 ft. Any spell with this metamagic feat applied to it is cast as a spell of +1 level higher

I'm confused why the range change. It's a minor buff for 30' spells or similar (Color Spray, for instance, becomes BEASTLY with this) but a huge nerf for a lot of longer ranged spells.

Overall, though, seems okay.

rferries
2017-09-26, 04:25 PM
1) For variable numeric effects with fractional averages (i.e. a spell dealing 1d6 damage has an average of 3.5 damage), do you round up or down?

2) I'll second the confusion about the range change - spell ranges are already "fixed" generally i.e. no variable numeric values, just calculated directly from caster level. If you meant fixed as in an "average" range, shouldn't they all have Medium range (in between Close and Long)? Though Enlarge Spell is often the better choice, anyways...nevertheless your feat is good for most cone and emanation spells.

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-09-26, 08:37 PM
I plan to make more feat similar to this one.
I'm confused why the range change. It's a minor buff for 30' spells or similar (Color Spray, for instance, becomes BEASTLY with this) but a huge nerf for a lot of longer ranged spells.

Overall, though, seems okay.(look below)

1) For variable numeric effects with fractional averages (i.e. a spell dealing 1d6 damage has an average of 3.5 damage), do you round up or down?

2) I'll second the confusion about the range change - spell ranges are already "fixed" generally i.e. no variable numeric values, just calculated directly from caster level. If you meant fixed as in an "average" range, shouldn't they all have Medium range (in between Close and Long)? Though Enlarge Spell is often the better choice, anyways...nevertheless your feat is good for most cone and emanation spells.1)... 6/2=3....does d&d have something different (because I haven't seen any)? In the case of fractions, add them together then round down (so if you were to get and average of 3.5 for each dice but you have 6 dice it would come out to 21 but if there were 9 dice it would come out to 31)
2) Would this be a better idea
Spells that have a range longer than touch become 50 ft
Spells with a range of longer than touch become the bare minimum without accounting for level (if no range is given [and is not touch] assume medium)

JNAProductions
2017-09-26, 08:40 PM
Why affect range at all?

Jaeda
2017-09-26, 09:30 PM
I also concur that altering the range seems out of place on a feat whose purpose is to fix the variable numeric effects. The purpose is to make the spell average for an instance of that spell, rather than average compared to other spells.

You should probably explicitly spell out whether the average of 2d6 is 6 or 7. If it is the former, I'd actually consider making it a level +0 feat; you are trading off some amount of power (since the expected total is slightly lower than normal) for removing the worst cases. At +1 I think its probably a really weak feat as the only real benefit is to prevent bad rolls.

A more useful feat would probably be something like this:

Boosted Spell
All variable numeric effects of a boosted spell increase by +1 per die. A boosted spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than normal.

This has the desired benefit of preventing terrible rolls, but it has the added benefit of slightly improving your average case too. The expected benefit for a spell using d6s should be about half that of empower spell (which is a +2 level boost). It'll be a bit strong for the rarer spells that use d4s, but less so for those that use d8 or d10s.