PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Flurry of Knives (Feat)

rferries
2017-09-26, 10:25 AM
Flurry of Knives
You may produce a perpetual supply of throwing-blades from your voluminous silken sleeves.

Prerequisites
Craft Magic Arms And Armour or Magical Aptitude, Enchanted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534772-A-few-simple-feats-(Enchanted-Flight-Insightful-Strike)&p=22336997#post22336997), Quick Draw, character level 9th.

Benefits
Choose a particular type of thrown weapon (bolas, dagger, dart, sai, shuriken, or throwing axe) and a special material (adamantine, alchemical silver, or cold iron).

In place of any other attack you could normally make (e.g. via the Rapid Shot feat, a haste spell, etc.), you may instead draw and throw a weapon of the chosen type and material. You are considered to have an infinite supply of these weapons hidden in the folds of your clothing, on your belt, or otherwise carried on your person. You must still have at least one hand free to throw the weapons.

Alternatively, as a full-round action you may throw one of the weapons per four character levels, using your full base attack bonus for each throw. Whenever you use this ability you must wait 1d4 rounds before throwing any more of the weapons.

The thrown weapons benefit from your Enchanted feat as normal, as well as the distance and seeking magic weapon special abilities. They are destroyed regardless of whether they hit or miss their target and may never be given away or sold.

Westhart
2017-09-26, 10:48 AM
Flurry of Knives
You may produce a perpetual supply of throwing-blades from your voluminous silken sleeves.

Prerequisites
Craft Magic Arms And Armour or Magical Aptitude, Enchanted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534772-A-few-simple-feats-(Enchanted-Flight-Insightful-Strike)&p=22336997#post22336997), Quick Draw, character level 9th.

Benefits
Choose a particular type of thrown weapon (bolas, dagger, dart, sai, shuriken, or throwing axe) and a special material (adamantine, alchemical silver, or cold iron).

As a full-round action you may draw and throw one weapon of the chosen type and material for every four character levels. Each attack you make in this way is made at your full attack bonus. Once you use this ability, you must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

The thrown weapons benefit from your Enchanted Feat as normal, as well as the distance and seeking magic weapon special abilities. They are destroyed regardless of whether they hit or miss their target.

Special
If you possess the Rapid Shot feat, you may use it to generate and throw an additional weapon at no penalty.

I almost ran around whooping except for two things (I love dagger throwers, even if they are unoptimized... to the point of taking savage throw (?) and making a dragon rogue >< ).
First Reason(s)The limit: Was this there so I can throw it on a rogue and get 4 attacks? but then I lose all my extra attacks.. (I got a dagger thrower throwing ~64 knives easy a round, and could take off str to double (palm throw) ). Then why do I ave to wait for 1d4 rounds ?! That's no fun! You accounted for Rapid shot but I would say any feature that gives additional attacks, TWF, ToB and so on...

Second Reason: I had no voice to whoop with :smalltongue:

rferries
2017-09-26, 11:08 AM
I almost ran around whooping except for two things (I love dagger throwers, even if they are unoptimized... to the point of taking savage throw (?) and making a dragon rogue >< ).
First Reason(s)The limit: Was this there so I can throw it on a rogue and get 4 attacks? but then I lose all my extra attacks.. (I got a dagger thrower throwing ~64 knives easy a round, and could take off str to double (palm throw) ). Then why do I ave to wait for 1d4 rounds ?! That's no fun! You accounted for Rapid shot but I would say any feature that gives additional attacks, TWF, ToB and so on...

Second Reason: I had no voice to whoop with :smalltongue:

Since you're generating "free" magic items I figured it needed a use limit, like a breath weapon (especially since all the throws are made at full BAB). It was inspired by all those ninjas (admittedly Lord Shen from Kung Fu Panda 2 :P) who never seem to run out of blades but don't spam them constantly. I could remove the limit (if you're investing so many feats maybe you've earned completely unlimited daggers), but then the attacks should probably be made at normal iterative BAB.

As for TWF, that's more for melee attacks; for ToB and non-core I suppose I could generalise the Rapid Shot to "you may throw an additional weapon for each extra attack you could normally make, e.g. via haste or the Rapid Shot feat"

Westhart
2017-09-26, 11:14 AM
Since you're generating "free" magic items I figured it needed a use limit, like a breath weapon (especially since all the throws are made at full BAB). It was inspired by all those ninjas (admittedly Lord Shen from Kung Fu Panda 2 :P) who never seem to run out of blades but don't spam them constantly. I could remove the limit (if you're investing so many feats maybe you've earned completely unlimited daggers), but then the attacks should probably be made at normal iterative BAB.

Good Point about the magic item...
...Hmm, I just used a modified glove of endless javelins and enchanted one of those... I didn't notice they were at full BAB... maybe steal the ability (no idea where/what it's from... epic (?) feat/class/what) that allows you to make one attack against everyone within 1 or 2 range increments... which is controlled by mmost the weapons small range increments (Dagger-10')

As for TWF, that's more for melee attacks; for ToB and non-core I suppose I could generalise the Rapid Shot to "you may throw an additional weapon for each extra attack you could normally make, e.g. via haste or the Rapid Shot feat"
TWF implies that, but I do not believe that it is RAW that you have to XD. I like the generalized rapid shot better.

rferries
2017-09-26, 11:23 AM
Right, I've put in the edits. Hopefully it's sufficiently broad.

Westhart
2017-09-26, 11:26 AM
Right, I've put in the edits. Hopefully it's sufficiently broad.

You'll get no complaints from me :smallsmile:.

Westhart
2017-09-26, 02:22 PM
I was thinking, why not put an
Alternatively ... then the original ability?

rferries
2017-09-26, 04:29 PM
I put it back in :D

Ranged Ranger
2017-09-27, 02:07 AM
Very cool... Could it be taken more than once for different weapon/material combos? If so would you allow them to use a some of each type in the same round, or restrict to one type per round?

Westhart
2017-09-27, 07:09 AM
I put it back in :D

:smallsmile:

rferries
2017-09-27, 08:41 AM
Very cool... Could it be taken more than once for different weapon/material combos? If so would you allow them to use a some of each type in the same round, or restrict to one type per round?

I suppose technically you could take it multiple times, but 1) there's no reason to choose different weapons, presumably you'd stick with one weapon type to best benefit from Weapon Focus, Improved Critical, etc. and 2) it would kind of break your character's "theme" of having signature mithral daggers or adamantine shuriken, etc.

Finally, you'd be free to alternate between different types per round, but I can't see why you would (what are the odds that you'll be facing 2+ different types of damage reduction in the same encounter?).

Westhart
2017-09-27, 08:59 AM
Finally, you'd be free to alternate between different types per round, but I can't see why you would (what are the odds that you'll be facing 2+ different types of damage reduction in the same encounter?).

Depends on how many monsters are in that encounter and what you are facing, such as a devil (cold iron) with iron golem (adamantine I think?) guard...

rferries
2017-09-27, 09:20 AM
Depends on how many monsters are in that encounter and what you are facing, such as a devil (cold iron) with iron golem (adamantine I think?) guard...

Yeah it's certainly possible, but that's a cruel DM (what are the melee characters supposed to do, keep switching between weapons? :D).

Westhart
2017-09-27, 09:26 AM
Yeah it's certainly possible, but that's a cruel DM (what are the melee characters supposed to do, keep switching between weapons? :D).

Well, I'm a cruel DM :smallbiggrin:
Not that it happens all the time but with mages summoning and all...