PDA

View Full Version : The Beasts Around You

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-14, 09:54 AM
Have a lot of folk from all about the globe posting here, who all have their own critters that are considered common that some of us probably have never seen. For instance, I didn't know until recently that england had hedgehogs everywhere and were actually pests. Never seen a live hedgehog.

So what wild creatures do you see near daily?

(dogs and cats and the like don't count unless they are, like, coyotes and lynxes and such.)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I'd say I see the following pretty much every day...

Brown Hare
Chimney Swift
Cooper Hawk
Crow
Grey Squirrel
Hummingbird (ruby and emerald throated)
Opposum
Striped Skunk
Turkey Vulture
Whip-poor-will (never actually seen one, but I hear them all night long)
White-Tailed Deer

A lot more, but I only see them from time to time.

banjo1985
2007-08-14, 09:56 AM
Not only do us Brits have hedgehogs, we have a hell of a lot of foxes, moles and badgers too!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-14, 10:02 AM
Not only do us Brits have hedgehogs, we have a hell of a lot of foxes, moles and badgers too!
Cool, only occasionally see a fox, though we got moles everywhere. Rarely actually see them though unless a cat is caught it and brought it up.

Never seen a badger, even an american one. They're on the opposite side of the country from me.

Castaras
2007-08-14, 10:05 AM
Hmm...

Spiders, moths, loads of insects.

Lots of spiders. Lots of insects.

Rabbits, squirrels, Pheasants(Less common), sparrows, snails.

Mostly spiders and insects. I have something like...8 spiders in my room at the moment...and there's a few in this room I'm in at the moment.

banjo1985
2007-08-14, 10:07 AM
Strange but true - I've only ever seen a badger in a graveyard! We go gaming at an old church hall next to a graveyard, and we often see tham when we come out in the wee hours of the morning.

Moles I must admit we don't actually see that much, but you know they're there, watching....and plotting.

Oh and I forgot about Squirrels, we get the red and grey ones here, but the red ones are getting very rare nowadays.

As for birds we get stuff like swans and geese, I see those at least every week or so.

nerulean
2007-08-14, 10:08 AM
My campus has a small forest in the middle of it, so this may not be entirely representative of the rest of my area, but I see squirrels by the bucket load, magpies, pigeons, mallard ducks, crows, other birds of nondescript brown varieties, little grey-brown rabbits whose precise species I know not, and students. On slightly rarer occasions, we get deer and herons.

Where my folks live, we have pigeons, seagulls and rabbits, and absolutely nothing else.

Mr Croup
2007-08-14, 10:16 AM
Seeing as I live in the same state, there's not a whole of divergence from his list, though it's a bit more limited as I'm in the suburbs of the massive sprawl that is Atlanta.

Brown Hare
Redtailed Hawk
Crow
Grey Squirrel
Opposum (though usually only dead ones by the side of the road)
a plethora of small birds (finches, titmouse, robins, and what have you)
Blue Tailed Skinks
Foxes (no sightings in my neighborhood, but there's a family of them that roam about in my parents' neighborhood)
Chipmunks
White Tailed Deer on some chance occassions
King Snakes
Garter Snakes

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-14, 10:20 AM
Meh, didn't bother mentioning insects or I'd be writing all day. Things creep and crawl about my place by the thousands.

Main ones though are fire ants, daddy longlegs, and every type of wasp, bee and hornet known to man. Seriously, we got them from just about everywhere in the world.

Seeing as I live in the same state, there's not a whole of divergence from his list, though it's a bit more limited as I'm in the suburbs of the massive sprawl that is Atlanta.
Heh, even in Atlanta you got big ole patches of woods... though granted most of them are being killed off by kudzu.

Blue Tailed Skinks
Oh, forgot about those! Yeah, those things are everywhere, and pretty cool.

Zherog
2007-08-14, 10:23 AM
So what wild creatures do you see near daily?

The guy in the next cubicle over from me... *shudders*

Mr Croup
2007-08-14, 10:25 AM
Meh, didn't bother mentioning insects or I'd be writing all day. Things creep and crawl about my place by the thousands.

Main ones though are fire ants, daddy longlegs, and every type of wasp, bee and hornet known to man. Seriously, we got them from just about everywhere in the world.

Oh, forgot about those! Yeah, those things are everywhere, and pretty cool.

Not too mention a near endless variety of mosquitoes. And yeah, I love the ubiquitous blue tailed skink. Sadly I don't see them as much at my house as I did growing up, but that's what I get for not living on a lot with plenty of woods and a nice little creek out back. Incidentally, growing up there was a decent anole population in my backyard as well.

Artemician
2007-08-14, 10:26 AM
Apparently, Singapore has one of the most varied and diverse ecosystems in the world. It apparently has more than a thousand species of trees within its borders, no mean feat considering that it measures roughly 20km by 28 km. But.. that's trees. Although we apparently have an equally diverse animal population, I don't see any of it.

What I do see:

A Grey Squirrel that lives next door.
A yellow-bellied Sunbird that visits my garden from time to time.
A white cockatoo that lives two streets away.
Egrets in the storm drains.
Chickens, at my friend's house.

Annoying monkeys at the Nature Reserve.

A family of House Lizards that inhabit my house
Pidgeons.
Sparrows.
Crows.

Bugs.
More Bugs. In all shapes and sizes
Beetles, moths, daddy-long-legses, etc
Arachnids.
Scorpions.
Centipedes.
Snails.
You get the picture.

*Sigh.. I suppose living in a city with primary forest in the middle is a godsend for those damned athropods. They have habitat, AND food.

Dihan
2007-08-14, 10:33 AM
Badgers, rats, rabbits, hares, pheasant, spiders, flies, moths, snails, worms, squirrels, moles, fox, hedgehogs, sparrows, loads of other insects and birds... All seen adders, owls, bats, doves, and many many more.

Serpentine
2007-08-14, 10:37 AM
Not only do us Brits have hedgehogs, we have a hell of a lot of foxes...
Funny, I was under the impression that you were running out. As in, there were ideas being floated for sending some of ours over there.

Lessee... There were a couple of koalas hanging around the uni for a while. Don't know where they are now, though... there's also wild wallabies I've seen up there, and a field of kangaroos and deer. There's heaps of magpies here, not like all your pathetic little black-and-white-wusses, our magpies are tough. Seriously. One chased my cat under the tank. And they loiter. With malicious intent. Yesterday I saw nearly 30 in one yard (I counted). Umm... sparrows? My cat killed an Eastern Spinebill, which is sad, they're cute :smallfrown: Oh, galahs. Stupid bloody things. And wattlebirds.

ForzaFiori
2007-08-14, 10:40 AM
snakes, woodpeckers (they are SO loud when they're right outside your window), there is a couger or something like it living on my property somewhere, we keep seeing the huge tracks, whip-poor-wills, insects of all kinds, a skunk every so often, red tailed hawks, other birds of prey, I occasionally can see a white-tailed deer.

no rabbits/mice/other small mammals for me, my cats have killed them all.

Ink
2007-08-14, 10:41 AM
I'm pretty close to the city but there are still some beasties about. Namely:

Magpie
Cockatoo
Kookaburra
Spotted dove
Owl
Rabbit (Black and brown ones)
Squirrel
Possum
Wombat
Funnelweb spider (Yaaah!)
Huntsman spider (These I like)

Also some common birds like crows and sparrows and a host of insects and spiders.

Serpentine
2007-08-14, 10:44 AM
Oh yes, kookaburras, and there's a heap of currawongs and a few crows around, too. There was also a pair of black-shouldered kites living near my residential village. And there was a blue-tongue lizard living in our drains. I hope its alright...

Miklus
2007-08-14, 11:39 AM
Behold the dredded killer-snail of Denmark!

http://i15.tinypic.com/4yg7ihz.jpg

They are out of control! Some politicians suggest sending in the military. Seriously! They eat everything.

Also, what do you call those black-and-white birds that make that "Ra-ta-ta-ta-ta" sound at 5 am? 'cause I got those! (Magpies, that's the ones). I also see a red squirrel sometimes. And deer, in this park nearby. Lots of other birds, that I don't know the names of. Coo-coos, I can't see them, but I can hear them. And of cause the beautyful majestic swan, national bird of Denmark. Seen here in all it's glory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrWDKlwiLVQ

Most birds would be scared if four people walk up to it, but not the swan :smallbiggrin:

bosssmiley
2007-08-14, 12:34 PM
Apparently, Singapore has one of the most varied and diverse ecosystems in the world.

Singapore. Ain't that where the Butler of the Raffles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raffles_Hotel#Notability) had to shoot a tiger that had invaded the Billiard Room?

"I am pleased to inform the gentlemen here assembled that the tiger in the Billiard Room will no longer be disrupting the games..."

Mad country. Great people. Stern about chewing gum. :smallamused:

Northumberland. We get everything from hedgehogs to Golden Eagles and stags within about 15 miles of the city centre. We've got seals in the Tyne and dolphins off the coast. This part of the country is simply teh awesum for wildlife.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-08-14, 01:26 PM
Ants
Various spiders of all kinds(including black widows and tarantulas)
Cockroaches
Lizards
Vultures and various other birds of prey
Crows

This is of course in the summer. The rest of the year there's barely anything, seeing as there's nearly nothing but vermin and the rest of the year it's too cool for vermin. I'm rather fond of the lizards and crows though, aswell as some of the birds of prey.

Vonriel
2007-08-14, 01:35 PM
I don't pay enough attention to the beasts around here to know. Umm, homeless dogs? They comprise more of the wild animals that I've seen than anything else. We did see a deer, once, on the wrong side of an interstate on-ramp - my stepdad honked at it, probably scared the thing. :smallannoyed:

However, where my dad lives, I did get to see a Sea Otter once, and that was downright awesome.

Rykaj
2007-08-14, 01:42 PM
Well most land here is claimed by city, so I only see the city animals:

Pidgeons
Sparrows
Starlings
Magpies
And, surprisingly: Grey herons
Seriously the herons are becoming a city pest, like pidgeons, only alot more daring and intrusive. They're not scared to just waltz into the shops and steal some food.

My parents live in a forested area, whenever I take the train there I actually get to see some mammals from the train window:
Rabbits
Hares
Occasionally some deer and boar

I've never seen a wild badger or fox though. That would rock though.

Morty
2007-08-14, 01:51 PM
Hm. I live very close to national park, so there are lots or wild birds around here; but I can't name them all at the moment- examples are buzzard, columbine or kestrel. You can also find squirrels and roe deers quite easily if you move out of the towns, I can see them on the outskirts of my town sometimes. However, even in cities there are whole lot of storks around here, they build their nests on poles. I also notice lots of dead hedgehogs near roads. Other than that, dozens of sparrows and pigeons, but those are everywhere.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-14, 01:55 PM
Rats and pigeons. There are other animals? :smalltongue:
Well, and squirrels and insects. To a lesser degree, hawks, falcons, and gulls.

Alex Kidd
2007-08-14, 01:56 PM
I live in suburbia

Kangaroos(in the the scrub around the electrical station and radio towers)
Kookaburras
Australian Ravens (unrelated to other ravens, just near identical thanks to parallel evolution)
Lots of different species of frogs
Various eagles, hawks, falcons etc
Mutton birds
magpies
cockatoos, white and the giant black major mitchells
galahs
cranes
ducks
water fowl
We got a very big white owl living in a tree across the road
Lots of little birds
Stumpy lizards
geckos
skinks
possums
snakes
And of course tons of insects

Off the coast (about a km west of us) the common and visible stuff is
Sea Eagles
Sea Lions
Dolphins
Seals (big colony on an offshore reef so pretty common)

I should add I'm trained to observe this kinda thing as a biologist(and as a guy who just likes observing nature) so I notice and remember this stuff better than your average person, so this list is therefore abnormally long more for that reason than any great biodiversity in my local area.

Lilly
2007-08-14, 02:04 PM
Between VT and mrcroup the Atlanta area beasties are covered.

Things I saw in Denver:
-Prairie dogs
-Magpies (well they were black and white and confused everyone from the east coast)
-Bald Eagles
-Foxes
-Grouse
-Rattle snakes
-Gardner snakes
-Bunnies
-Jack rabbits
-Elk
-Black bears
-Deer
-Never saw one, but we had skunks
-Coyotes
-Field mice
-Buffalo
-Mountain Goats
-Variety of small birds
-Geese (evil evil Canadian Geese)
-Bats
-Seagulls (I kept telling them that they missed the ocean by about 1500 miles, and they'd just look at me funny)

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-14, 02:17 PM
:smallsigh: Seaside listy

Seagulls
Herring Gulls
Black Back
Cormarants (sp?)
Dolphins (five/six different species)
Porpoises
Basking Sharks
Porbeagle
Mako (very rare but I saw one eight miles off the coast)
Spider crab
Buzzards
Golden Eagle (mating pair, only saw once though)
Hawks
Kitty Hawk
Grey sqirrels
Red Sqirrels
Dartmoor Ponies (stretching a bit, only a days car/train ride away though)
Badgers
Foxes (there's a den/hide? in our woods)
Hedgehogs
Various zoo escapees (very regular surprisingly) wallabies and aa few others
Black Beast Of Bodmin Moor:smallwink:
And some more, can't recall all of them.

SweetLikeLemons
2007-08-14, 03:43 PM
Where I live now, there are not very many squirrels, and no pidgeons, as far as I know. Which is kind of weird, because where I used to live was absolutely infested with them.
Instead, I see lots of ravens, which is cool, because I like them much much more than pidgeons.
And then there are the moose. I don't see them daily, by any means, but I do see them enough that it is not such a big deal anymore.

sktarq
2007-08-14, 03:51 PM
Brown Hare
Chimney Swift
Cooper Hawk
Crow
Grey Squirrel
Hummingbird (ruby and emerald throated)
Opposum
Striped Skunk
Turkey Vulture
Whip-poor-will (never actually seen one, but I hear them all night long)
White-Tailed Deer

A lot more, but I only see them from time to time.

all the above plus
bobcat
puma (one lives locally to me)
black bear (haven't seen one in a couple years but plenty of tracks and scat)
redtail hawk
sharpshinned hawk
brown pelicans
Great horned owls (they nest outside my window)
bat rays
shovel nosed sharks
damsel fish
seals
bottlenose dolphins
terns, estuary duck, and seagulls of various and sundry sorts
Herons (Great blue, Green, and black backed or "night")
Chipmunks
Ground Squirrels
Rattlesnakes
Kingsnakes
Gopher Snakes
Horny Toads
Bullfrogs
Cottontail Rabbits (probably feral)
Black Rats
Ringtail Cats

edit
Banana Slugs
Scorpions
Masses of migratory birds
Pheasants (probably feral)
Quail-California and Mountain
Scrub Jays everywhere
Woodpeckers (a few different types)
Scorpions
Tartantulas
Assasin Bugs (watching them haul a tarantula across the patio this weekend)
Coyotes - at least once a week (so common I forgot them)
Grey Foxes (SOOOO cute but VERY hard to spot)
Mice
Rats
Bats (small to large-again see so often I forget aabout them)

and If I actually go out on the boat add in
Bald Eagles
Ravens
Bison (they are on a local island)
Elk (see above)
Grey Whales
Common Dolphins
Pilot Whales
Blue Whales
Orca
Fin Whales (only twice myself)
Humpback whales (rare)
Grey Whales (depending on time of year)
Horn Sharks
Swell Sharks (rare)
Swordfish
Flying fish (rare in the channel common just outside)

and if I add my scuba trips-eek

Rob Knotts
2007-08-14, 04:48 PM
I live in Phoenix, Arizona. You can drive for 10 or 20 miles from the center of town and everything will still be paved.

However, the college I go to is a realtively young campus with a lot of undeveloped land. Between the green spots in/around the central campus and the barren land surrounding it, it's not unusual to see families of quail and some damn big jackrabbits. There really isn't enough room on campus or anywhere nearby for coyotes, but like a couple other campuses I've been too there are quite a few abandoned cats prowling the greener central areas. This is especially true of the open-air atrium on campus, with all sorts of small birds making homes in the trees that grow there.

Calamity
2007-08-14, 05:01 PM
Pidgeons (Far too often)
Magpies
Robins
Squirrels
Hedgehogs
Blackbirds
Thrushes (Very occainsionly)
Seagulls (Very occainsionly)

SDF
2007-08-14, 05:05 PM
In MN I used to get a lot more... Bears would wonder around my yard every so often.

There is a family of foxes living on my parents property in a small cave behind the house. There are lots of ***** around, skunks, squirrels, geese, ducks, lots of falcons, owls, and hawks too. I'll see deer running around at night, and occasionally a mountain lion will be sighted.

zeratul
2007-08-14, 05:07 PM
:smallsigh: Seaside listy

Seagulls
Herring Gulls
Black Back
Cormarants (sp?)
Dolphins (five/six different species)
Porpoises
Basking Sharks
Porbeagle
Mako (very rare but I saw one eight miles off the coast)
Spider crab
Buzzards
Golden Eagle (mating pair, only saw once though)
Hawks
Kitty Hawk
Grey sqirrels
Red Sqirrels
Dartmoor Ponies (stretching a bit, only a days car/train ride away though)
Badgers
Foxes (there's a den/hide? in our woods)
Hedgehogs
Various zoo escapees (very regular surprisingly) wallabies and aa few others
Black Beast Of Bodmin Moor:smallwink:
And some more, can't recall all of them.

Curly you see now I have to either kill you and assume your life, or move to england.:smallsmile:

phoenixineohp
2007-08-14, 07:16 PM
*Makes a list of places to go*

What zoo is that with things escaping?

*Crosses off ones with detailed spider lists*

Not that exciting here. Several of what has been listed.

Squirrles. Black, Grey and Red. (Trivia: Black and Grey are the same species)
Chipmunks.
Birds like Robins, Blue Jays, Sparrows, Starlings, Grackle, Cardinal, etc.
Torontoians.
Foxes are a treat to see.
Hawks and storks can be spotted.
Seagulls or 'flying rats'
Canadian Geese or 'federally protected pooping machines'
Raccoons
Apparently several species of snakes, but darned if I can't find them near my homes. Same with the salamanders and frogs.
Wild rabbits.
Striped Skunks.
Groundhogs.
More insects than I'd like.

I was thinking about our Aussie friends and your blue tongued skinks at work today. Ours clawed up my arms royally. Cute little critters though. :smallbiggrin:

FoE
2007-08-15, 12:18 AM
Lessee... There were a couple of koalas hanging around the uni for a while. Don't know where they are now, though... there's also wild wallabies I've seen up there, and a field of kangaroos and deer. There's heaps of magpies here, not like all your pathetic little black-and-white-wusses, our magpies are tough. Seriously. One chased my cat under the tank. And they loiter. With malicious intent. Yesterday I saw nearly 30 in one yard (I counted). Umm... sparrows? My cat killed an Eastern Spinebill, which is sad, they're cute :smallfrown: Oh, galahs. Stupid bloody things. And wattlebirds.

Wait, wait … don't you live in Ottawa? I've been to Ottawa and I didn't see no damn koalas or kangaroos.

For me, I live in rural Alberta, so I see lots of cows. LOTS of cows. Like, I could probably walk for a half-hour in any direction and come across a cow.

Now let's hear from Box, from the movie Logan's Run. What do YOU see, Box?

"Fish, and plankton, and sea greens, and protein from the sea! It's all here. Ready! Fresh as harvest day!"

Vaynor
2007-08-15, 02:03 AM
This is California, in the general vicinity of the L.A. area.

Many insects, like misquitos and other annoying entities
Coyotes
Aliens
Rats.. lots of rats
Squirrels
Bats
Hawks
Crows/ravens, don't know the difference
Rabbits (I live in a place called Conejo Valley, coincidentally)
Mice
Grasshoppper (only mentioning this one separate from the other insects because a particularly nasty one just jumped at me (luckily there was a pane of glass in the way, I may have died))
Bears, but very rare

That's about it.

Serpentine
2007-08-15, 02:08 AM
Wait, wait … don't you live in Ottawa? I've been to Ottawa and I didn't see no damn koalas or kangaroos.
Heheh, and thusly the Mistaken Identity Week claims yet another victim! :smallbiggrin: Nah, I'm actually in northern New South Wales, Australia. Remember those loitering magpies I mentioned (which by the way are related to crows, which are also tougher here than all your wussy little bluejay "crows")? Well, there's more than a dozen in my back yard.
My mum and her husband are counting the birds they can see from their house and on the beach and headland. I think so far they have something like 75 different species.

FoE
2007-08-15, 11:20 AM
Blimey! I've had the wool pulled over me eyes, I did! What a thing to happen!

Well … at least I can still mock the size of your cutlery. (Points at Serpentine's butterknife) You call that a knife? NOW THIS … IS A KNIFE!

(Face of Evil whips out a fork, stares at it in dumbfounded confusion, walks away with his head bowed)

Trog
2007-08-15, 11:39 AM
Ants, Flies, House Centipedes, Mayflies, Box Elder bugs, Asian Lady Beatles, Harvesters, little zebra striped jumping spiders that like to camoflage themselves on screen doors for some reason, and various other little insects, Mice, Grey squirrels everywhere, ground squirrels, bats, brown hare, opossum, raccoons, skunks, foxes, turkey, white-tailed deer, crows, bald eagles in the spring, robins, sparrows, golden finches, grackles, hummingbirds, bears occasionally, cows, pigs, chickens, llamas, buffalo, sunfish, crappie, bull head, catfish, hawks, gulls, diamondback rattlesnakes, wood ducks, frogs, toads, troglodytes.

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-15, 12:26 PM
I can attest to the egrets. Apparently, sometime around my 12th-16th birthday onwards, the Bird Park decided to just tag them and let them roam over Singapore(I think). Prior to that, I don't really remember seeing too many of them. I have honestly considered eating one or two of them before, when I'm really hungry. I suspect they'll taste like duck.:smallwink:

We get a lot of orioles, mynahs, and the sunbirds. Budgies and cockatoos were a fairly common sight when there was a bird shop just downstairs from my block.

Hell Puppi
2007-08-15, 11:06 PM
Grey squirrels
Turkey vulture
red-tailed hawk
Antelope
Wild bunnies (not sure their exact make and model)
Ravens
black birds

Cruxador
2007-08-16, 12:12 PM
Discounting insects and spiders:

In my backyard:
Rabbits
A Chicken
Finches
Blackbirds
Used to be robins, but not the last few years.
once there was a crazy looking parrot. we caught it and found one of the same species at Petco, cost $300
In my town:
Rabbits
Cows
Seagulls
Egrets
bats
owls
At my cabin:
squirrels
coyotes
wild turkeys
deer (sometimes)
bats
owls
vultures
scorpions
rabbits
Blue-belly lizards
blue-tail skinks
ribbon snakes
rattle snakes
rubber boas
another type of snake, who's name I don't know

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-16, 12:31 PM
Curly you see now I have to either kill you and assume your life, or move to england.:smallsmile:

Move to Cornwall. It's famour.

Oh, wild goats
lynxes (very rarely)
blue tits
Mink
Weasals
Stoats
Rabbits
Hares
Snowy Owls
Screech Owls
Barn Owls
Owls in general
Moles
Voles
Water voles (very rare, but I see them regularly)
Falcons
Swans
Shags
Puffins
Guillemots
Ducks
Kestrel
Chough

Draken
2007-08-16, 12:32 PM
Let me see, Manaus is a big city, but it is surrounded by the Amazonic Rainforest, so you must have an idea...

Bats
Spiders
Lizards
Monkeys (on ocasion, they are specially common near preservation parks inside the city, pretty obvious)
Pidgeons (nasty, diseased rats with wings...)
Snakes (not so common thought, but you can see then and they can cause problems. The large constritors in particular, but they usually keep in the deep forest, don't worry, you wont be strangled to death and then swallowed whole if you visit :smalltongue:)
Frogs
Snails (African snails, everywhere, they are a damn plague >_>)
Vultures
Ants (there is an anthole every five steps.)
Termites (pretty much everywhere where you see a large amount of trees)
Moths (there is a station they are just everywhere)