PDA

View Full Version : While I suck at coding and why this makes me feel better

Kato
2017-09-26, 01:22 PM
So, because I didn't do any in a while and I should have been doing something more important, I decided to write a short program in octave (what?) to simulate the goat problem.
Instead of taking about 5 minutes I spent an hour, not counting thinking about it beforehand. Ignoring the fact I was unable to come up with a good strategy to switch cards and instead made it pick cards until it's an elligible card I still made about every possible mistake I could have made, screwing up most of the necessary if conditions (and if I got one right changing it before changing it back to the right one while trying to fix another mistake)
So in short... a really simple task, for anyone who knows what they are doing made me almost give up.

Now, why do I say this makes me feel better? Because as a teacher I'm almost daily desperate about how some students don't get the simplest problems, of course forgetting (constantly) they do not do this on a daily basis and doing such things, even if they seem simple ARE HARD. Like, really hard. Even something as simple as solving an equation for a variable.. If you're not used to it. So my students aren't as stupid as I sometimes think... or at least, I'm just as stupid as they are. Which makes me feel calmer.
[/rant]

So... what's the point of this? Good question. I just wanted to rant about my revelation.
But if you like, you may add experiences where you screwed up but felt better because...