PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Thematic Dwarf Draconic Sorceror Build for Tier one

ZorroGames
2017-09-26, 01:36 PM
The background on my Mountain Dwarf characters is that they are all descended from a Mountain Dwarf who "Made a deal with the ' devil'" - an outlawed by its own kind Ancient Dragon who could polymorph/shapechange into a humanoid (in this case Dwarf) - to provide it a hiding place in exchange for magic knowledge to the (future) Patriarch if the Dankil Clan, Barendd Dankil.

That is the short version.

Eventually it was necessary that an heir be conceived. That event exposed the Dragon and Barendd's sins in the eyes of Dwarven Culture. Around this time the Dragons who still hunted the outlaw attacked the Dwarfs seeking their vengenance. The dragons killed their kin and ravaged the Dwarf City before leaving.

The surviving Elders declared the child, a daughter, must die, that Barendd must be executed for his sins, and the Dankil Clan would 'cease to exist' by fiat.

The Dankil Clan rejected that ruling, rebelled, slew many other Dwarfs as they fled the devastated city, and found a hidden cavern years later in their wanderings to establish themselves.

The dragon trait was passed on to the line of the Dankil Clan and at various times a child with Draconic Sorceror abilities is born. To be worthy of a place at the Table of Rulers of the clan they must go out into the world and return after at least half a century worthy of that office - proven by their achieving sufficient ability to manifest Dragon Wings (14th level in game terms.)

This character is planned to be played after I finish the ToA campaign. Since I have no experience of playing a Sorceror before I will be asking for help designing this character.

The character ability stats are:

ST 8+2
DE 14 (plan to eventually utilize better defense Medium armor such as Breastplate or Half Plate as a Dwarf)
CO 15+2 (Level 4 bump this +1)
IN 8
WI 10
CH 15 (Level 4 bump this +1, Level 8 +2, Level 12 +2)

Start with LCB, and Two Daggers, adding Hand Axe (Dwarf skill) for thematic throwing weapon later, adding armor as I can afford it to have better armor than 13+Dexterity.

I am mostly concerned with good spells to mesh with spell slots and sorcery points.

My level one spells I am considering would be (cantrips) Fire Bolt (damage,) Chill Touch (alternate element of damage,) Mage Hand (utility,) Message (Utility,) plus (Level 1,) Magic Missile (damage,) Shield (Buff/Defense.)

At level 2 I am thinking Expeditious Retreat for mobility (utility.)
Font of Magic Kicks in with Two Sorcery Points. Not sure how to utilize this exactly at this point... Ideas?

At level 3, metamagic kicks in and I gain a second level spell slot. I am thinking Blur (Defense) for the spell. I am thinking metamagic of Subtle (thinking ahead to non-combat and combat casting) and ??? If I had a Touch spell like shocking Grasp I would choose Distant for a 30' attack before withdrawing usage but I don't. Twinned is a common choice. Quickened appeals but two SP is costly at this level. I do not have any magic that would really bonus off Empowered. Suggestions?

Fourth level I am thinking of adding Alter Self and the Friends Cantrip (and looking at Charm Person for later possible use.)

Very fuzzy about Fourth level right now.

Feedback about the build for first tier requested.

I see this character as being oriented towards Buffs/Debuffs before utility spells before additional direct damage spells in the future but have not made any definitive decisions on any of that currently.

Gracias in advance for any helpful advice that meshes with my character background.

samcifer
2017-09-26, 03:25 PM
The background on my Mountain Dwarf characters is that they are all descended from a Mountain Dwarf who "Made a deal with the ' devil'" - an outlawed by its own kind Ancient Dragon who could polymorph/shapechange into a humanoid (in this case Dwarf) - to provide it a hiding place in exchange for magic knowledge to the (future) Patriarch if the Dankil Clan, Barendd Dankil.

That is the short version.

Eventually it was necessary that an heir be conceived. That event exposed the Dragon and Barendd's sins in the eyes of Dwarven Culture. Around this time the Dragons who still hunted the outlaw attacked the Dwarfs seeking their vengenance. The dragons killed their kin and ravaged the Dwarf City before leaving.

The surviving Elders declared the child, a daughter, must die, that Barendd must be executed for his sins, and the Dankil Clan would 'cease to exist' by fiat.

The Dankil Clan rejected that ruling, rebelled, slew many other Dwarfs as they fled the devastated city, and found a hidden cavern years later in their wanderings to establish themselves.

The dragon trait was passed on to the line of the Dankil Clan and at various times a child with Draconic Sorceror abilities is born. To be worthy of a place at the Table of Rulers of the clan they must go out into the world and return after at least half a century worthy of that office - proven by their achieving sufficient ability to manifest Dragon Wings (14th level in game terms.)

This character is planned to be played after I finish the ToA campaign. Since I have no experience of playing a Sorceror before I will be asking for help designing this character.

The character ability stats are:

ST 8+2
DE 14 (plan to eventually utilize better defense Medium armor such as Breastplate or Half Plate as a Dwarf)
CO 15+2 (Level 4 bump this +1)
IN 8
WI 10
CH 15 (Level 4 bump this +1, Level 8 +2, Level 12 +2)

Start with LCB, and Two Daggers, adding Hand Axe (Dwarf skill) for thematic throwing weapon later, adding armor as I can afford it to have better armor than 13+Dexterity.

I am mostly concerned with good spells to mesh with spell slots and sorcery points.

My level one spells I am considering would be (cantrips) Fire Bolt (damage,) Chill Touch (alternate element of damage,) Mage Hand (utility,) Message (Utility,) plus (Level 1,) Magic Missile (damage,) Shield (Buff/Defense.)

At level 2 I am thinking Expeditious Retreat for mobility (utility.)
Font of Magic Kicks in with Two Sorcery Points. Not sure how to utilize this exactly at this point... Ideas?

At level 3, metamagic kicks in and I gain a second level spell slot. I am thinking Blur (Defense) for the spell. I am thinking metamagic of Subtle (thinking ahead to non-combat and combat casting) and ??? If I had a Touch spell like shocking Grasp I would choose Distant for a 30' attack before withdrawing usage but I don't. Twinned is a common choice. Quickened appeals but two SP is costly at this level. I do not have any magic that would really bonus off Empowered. Suggestions?

Fourth level I am thinking of adding Alter Self and the Friends Cantrip (and looking at Charm Person for later possible use.)

Very fuzzy about Fourth level right now.

Feedback about the build for first tier requested.

I see this character as being oriented towards Buffs/Debuffs before utility spells before additional direct damage spells in the future but have not made any definitive decisions on any of that currently.

Gracias in advance for any helpful advice that meshes with my character background.

Lv. 2 sorc can only gain a lv. 1 spell slot with their 2 sp. It has no other real use until you get metamagic at lv. 3.

ZorroGames
2017-09-26, 03:38 PM
Lv. 2 sorc can only gain a lv. 1 spell slot with their 2 sp. It has no other real use until you get metamagic at lv. 3.

Thanks, it seemed like the only use was to create a first level spell slot.