PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder (Spheres of Power) Convoker's Handbook Open Playtest

stack
2017-09-26, 01:48 PM
Hello, this is stack. You may remember be from such playtests as 'the Destroyer's Handbook," "the Shapeshifter's Handbook," and "Spheres of Might." I come to you today to invite your feedback on the Conjuration sphere expansion, the Convoker's Handbook. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Pv6p5znwFC20CMTuRkQM0FLauN_O8ppG-xk7IxM4UYo/edit#)

For those to whom that makes little sense, Drop Dead Studios (http://www.dropdeadstudios.com/) is producing a series of expansions for the Spheres of Power (http://paizo.com/products/btpy96pr?Spheres-of-Power) alternate magic system, each expanding upon a single sphere.

Hold nothing (pertinent) back. Thanks for all your help.

legomaster00156
2017-09-26, 01:51 PM
So... why not just "Conjurer's Handbook"? :smallconfused:

stack
2017-09-26, 02:01 PM
So... why not just "Conjurer's Handbook"? :smallconfused:

Wanted to have the name create a image less attached to the base magic system conjuration school, which in SoP terms encompasses Conjuration, Creation, and Warp.

I originally called it the Summoner's Handbook, but since that is a class name thought it better to go a different way. Convoker is less used and at least for some of us brings to mind the 3.5 malconvoker, which has the appropriate summoning connotations.

GreatGoatEater
2017-09-26, 04:12 PM
Glad to see this is finally up! A few questions.

Can a companion with the Mindless Archetype gain bonus feats from the Capable Companion talent?

Also, is it me or does the drawbacks of the "bestial" companion archetype far outweigh the benefits? For one form talent, your companion is now dumber, harder to control, and will refuse orders. It seems far more crippling than any of the other archetypes.

khadgar567
2017-09-26, 06:20 PM
Pilot and symbiosis looks perfect way to create fake trabadour and i dont see your companion get might talents option on playtest doc

TheIronGolem
2017-09-26, 10:04 PM
It looks like the Twinsoul Elementalist doesn't have the standard "hi-cast with your specialty sphere(s)" language. Is that intentional?

stack
2017-09-27, 07:17 AM
Glad to see this is finally up! A few questions.

Can a companion with the Mindless Archetype gain bonus feats from the Capable Companion talent?

Also, is it me or does the drawbacks of the "bestial" companion archetype far outweigh the benefits? For one form talent, your companion is now dumber, harder to control, and will refuse orders. It seems far more crippling than any of the other archetypes.
Largely exists to make a companion that plays well with the Beastmastery sphere from Spheres of Might. The extra form talent makes it easy to grab mount or otherwise just buff the companion.

Pilot and symbiosis looks perfect way to create fake trabadour and i dont see your companion get might talents option on playtest doc
Planning to put SoM companion talent progression options (if any are needed) in Champions of the Spheres, the SoM/SoP crossover (gish) book.

It looks like the Twinsoul Elementalist doesn't have the standard "hi-cast with your specialty sphere(s)" language. Is that intentional?
That is intentional. Gets two spheres for free but no full CL. The compensation is that you add full level when using destructive capacitor.

khadgar567
2017-09-27, 07:26 AM
Planning to put SoM companion talent progression options (if any are needed) in Champions of the Spheres, the SoM/SoP crossover (gish) book.

good to hear that so can we give same progression styles(low, mid, high) to our summons or same as mage companion were we have fixed progression and need to burn feats to get more

stack
2017-09-27, 07:33 AM
good to hear that so can we give same progression styles(low, mid, high) to our summons or same as mage companion were we have fixed progression and need to burn feats to get more

It hasn't been decided exactly how that will work just yet. Probably a single progression option though, since you can always buy more talents with feats.

khadgar567
2017-09-27, 07:37 AM
It hasn't been decided exactly how that will work just yet. Probably a single progression option though, since you can always buy more talents with feats.
than give them 15 talents with option to further specialize so when bob the summoner summons his companions they at least fight like real warriors not peasants with bit of SLAs and sitck

GreatGoatEater
2017-09-28, 08:38 AM
Largely exists to make a companion that plays well with the Beastmastery sphere from Spheres of Might.
Okay that makes a bit more sense. Has a decision been made about whether Mindless Companions can be modified with Capable Companion to gain a bonus feats even if they don't normally gain feats?

khadgar567
2017-09-28, 01:01 PM
about troop creature
lets say i got puppet and symbiosis did i control all minds in 20 by 20 feet space and how this affects mage creature did i just grab 120 or 300 talents or just 10 due them being single creature might need balance check

stack
2017-09-28, 01:52 PM
Okay that makes a bit more sense. Has a decision been made about whether Mindless Companions can be modified with Capable Companion to gain a bonus feats even if they don't normally gain feats?
I need to check again if mindless creatures ever get bonus feats. I've looked before, but I don't recall for certain at the moment.

about troop creature
lets say i got puppet and symbiosis did i control all minds in 20 by 20 feet space and how this affects mage creature did i just grab 120 or 300 talents or just 10 due them being single creature might need balance check
The companion is still a single creature with a single (hive)mind, so it only gets 1 set of feats/talents/etc.

khadgar567
2017-09-28, 02:07 PM
The companion is still a single creature with a single (hive)mind, so it only gets 1 set of feats/talents/etc.

Then multiple creature is better choice but how it effects puppet + symbiosis combo?

GreatGoatEater
2017-09-28, 05:13 PM
I need to check again if mindless creatures ever get bonus feats. I've looked before, but I don't recall for certain at the moment.

They can in some instances. For example Skeletons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/skeleton), Greensting scorpions (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/vermin/scorpion/scorpion-greensting/), and Verminoid Creatures (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/verminoid-creature-cr-varies/)

stack
2017-09-29, 07:34 AM
Pact master thaumaturge update uploaded.

Then multiple creature is better choice but how it effects puppet + symbiosis combo?
A puppet with the troop advanced talent would act as any other puppet. You control its actions, acting as a hivemind for it. The important thing to remember with swarms and troops is that, mechanically, they are a single creature that happens to have some special rules added on.

They can in some instances. For example Skeletons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/skeleton), Greensting scorpions (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/vermin/scorpion/scorpion-greensting/), and Verminoid Creatures (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/verminoid-creature-cr-varies/)
Thought so, thanks.

Danielxxi
2017-09-29, 07:29 PM
I’m not sure if it is the right place to ask, but I have some questions about conjuration sphere:

Q1: If an incanter level 5 with a staff of conjuration +5 cast summon, it is clear that if he spent the extra spell point the summoned creature to remain for 10 minutes (not 5 minutes), but does the summoned creature has 4 hit dice or 8 hit dice?

Q2: When using Lingering Companion+Greater Summoning you may dismiss and re-summon this companion at will without having to spend any additional spell points that day. If the summoned creature is affected by an affliction, ability damage or spell is dismissed and re-summoned before the effect (affliction or spell) expire, what happens with afflictions, ability damage or spells?

Q3: What happen with the active effects when re-summoning a creature without Lingering Companion or Greater Summoning? I belive that it is the same, but someone in my group says no.

Mithril Leaf
2017-09-29, 08:07 PM
I’m not sure if it is the right place to ask, but I have some questions about conjuration sphere:

Q1: If an incanter level 5 with a staff of conjuration +5 cast summon, it is clear that if he spent the extra spell point the summoned creature to remain for 10 minutes (not 5 minutes), but does the summoned creature has 4 hit dice or 8 hit dice?

Q2: When using Lingering Companion+Greater Summoning you may dismiss and re-summon this companion at will without having to spend any additional spell points that day. If the summoned creature is affected by an affliction, ability damage or spell is dismissed and re-summoned before the effect (affliction or spell) expire, what happens with afflictions, ability damage or spells?

Q3: What happen with the active effects when re-summoning a creature without Lingering Companion or Greater Summoning? I belive that it is the same, but someone in my group says no.

A1: 100% sure 4 HD, it's explicitly spelled out in the descriptor of staves.

A2: 90% sure they keep affecting the companion normally.

A3: 70% sure that if they still have duration they still apply, but no commitment.

I'm not a dev though.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-09-29, 08:21 PM
than give them 15 talents with option to further specialize so when bob the summoner summons his companions they at least fight like real warriors not peasants with bit of SLAs and sitck
Bob the Summoner is already getting free bodies (with SLAs!) to fight, take up space, check traps, etc. We don't want companions to overshadow Fighters as much as eidolons do, right?

Mithril Leaf
2017-09-30, 12:05 PM
Maybe for the Spheres of Might talent, you could allow them to become Proficient, then Adept, then Expert practitioners, for a talent cost apiece?

Eldariel
2017-09-30, 12:29 PM
Bob the Summoner is already getting free bodies (with SLAs!) to fight, take up space, check traps, etc. We don't want companions to overshadow Fighters as much as eidolons do, right?

I really don't think Fighter is the balance point you should be aiming for. Path of War, Spheres of Might, and company are more in the vogue - having the summons be capable of contributing martially at about ECL-2 seems just fine.

Danielxxi
2017-09-30, 03:31 PM

A3: 70% sure that if they still have duration they still apply, but no commitment.

I'm not a dev though.

Thanks for answering, you are right about Q1.

I have another question:

Q4: is there a limit on the number ot forms that could be applied to a companion?

Danielxxi
2017-10-03, 06:17 PM
Yesterday I playtest some options of the convoker handbook I will share our experience.

The character

human incanter 1.

feats 3 (1 level 1+ 1 human + 1 incanter): Extra magic talent, Extra magic talent, pilot
magic talents 7 (2 base + 2 incanter + 1 Elongated Summoning drawback+ 2 extra talent feat):
Conjuration, Greater Summoning talent, Lingering Companion, Altered Size, Altered Size, Natural Aspect (fh 1), Superior Senses (darkvision).

His companion is a Diminutive after applying Altered size x2) orb with the archetypes,
He has 6 spell point / day (1 base + 5 stat).

To summon his companion he spend 2 spell points (+2 Lingering Companion -1 puppet +1 pilot)

Companion statistics

type: outsider (incorporeal, orb)
archetypes: puppet and ghostly
senses perception +0; darkvision;
speed 5 ft. Hover* 30 ft. (average);
hp 9 (1d10+1 con + 3 Toughness); Feats: Toughness
AC 23 (10 base + 3 deflection + 6 dex + 4 size)
saves +8 ref; +1 fort; +2 will (mind-affecting use incanter will save )
attack bite +11 ( +1 bab + 4 size + 6 dex), damage 1d2 (critical 20x2)
Str -, Dex 22(+6), Con 13 (+1), Int 7(-2), Wis 10(+0), Cha 13 (+1)
skills: stealth +22 (1 rank + 6 dex + 3 class + 12 Diminutive)

Well, after the first part of the adventure we found ourself at the entrance of a dungeon, as the scout I say that my character will go to explore fist.
Being a 1 ft incorporeal allows to move inside of most wall (even floors) without being detected (with no line of sight incorporeal are almost undetectable), even then he has to move outside the walls to explore, this force 15 stealth checks, all succeed (stealth +22 was really useful).

While moving through the walls he permanently test for secret rooms (he can pass through wall, doors and secret doors of 1 ft or less, my master change wall to be more than 1 ft…), and avoiding many traps.

Failling all perceptions vs traps he trigger 2 traps, but only takes 1/4 damage of each (half ref save, and half incorporeal) and with fast healing 1, he was at full hit piont each time, hence traps he survive all traps.

This allow to explore the full dungeon, mark the position of all the enemies (although the master moves some of them, we known how many enemies we have), but most important he found a secret room with treasures. I known that he could dismiss his companion, take some treasure and re-summon the treasure (but the DM smile makes me think that that wasn’t a good idea). What he found was the information that he was looking, and after that he join the rest of the party.

Of course, we could get out with the information, but now the party haves a map of the dungeon, with the position of the secret room and enemies. The other player were +30 minutes seeing me exploring the dungeon and now want to kill something.. lol!! hence we enter the dungeon again.

In combat the character has good defenses 9 hp, take only half damage, ac 23, fh 1, but even with +11 to attack he only make 1d2 damage on a successful hit (DPR 1.7)

Final thought:
I though that this combo will be overpowered, but I found that it is not.
Of course he could map all the dungeon, including all secret rooms, but he invent all his resurce to do that (3 feats & 7 magic talents) so he is supposed to be good. And all the ref save (even with a +8) fell as a save or loose, at the point that I do not pick up the treasure!!

In in combat I fell that the only way he collaborate is beeing an extra target (one that supports a lot of attack) and not much more.
The only real problem was that it enables me to leave other player waiting 30 minutes while I explore the dungeon. But the wasn't a real problem yesterday since all get fun.

conclusion: I was wrong, the ghostly companion archetype do not need to be nerfed.

stack
2017-10-03, 09:12 PM

I'm not a dev though.
A2: Normal durations, yeah. If I didn't mention that in the clarifications I ought to.
A3: Should still apply, will make sure to cover that.

Thanks for answering, you are right about Q1.

I have another question:

Q4: is there a limit on the number ot forms that could be applied to a companion?
A4 Only limited by the number of talents you have, though at some point you hit diminishing returns on a single companion.

Yesterday I playtest some options of the convoker handbook I will share our experience.

Well, after the first part of the adventure we found ourself at the entrance of a dungeon, as the scout I say that my character will go to explore fist.
Being a 1 ft incorporeal allows to move inside of most wall (even floors) without being detected (with no line of sight incorporeal are almost undetectable), even then he has to move outside the walls to explore, this force 15 stealth checks, all succeed (stealth +22 was really useful).

While moving through the walls he permanently test for secret rooms (he can pass through wall, doors and secret doors of 1 ft or less, my master change wall to be more than 1 ft…), and avoiding many traps.

Failling all perceptions vs traps he trigger 2 traps, but only takes 1/4 damage of each (half ref save, and half incorporeal) and with fast healing 1, he was at full hit piont each time, hence traps he survive all traps.

This allow to explore the full dungeon, mark the position of all the enemies (although the master moves some of them, we known how many enemies we have), but most important he found a secret room with treasures. I known that he could dismiss his companion, take some treasure and re-summon the treasure (but the DM smile makes me think that that wasn’t a good idea). What he found was the information that he was looking, and after that he join the rest of the party.

Of course, we could get out with the information, but now the party haves a map of the dungeon, with the position of the secret room and enemies. The other player were +30 minutes seeing me exploring the dungeon and now want to kill something.. lol!! hence we enter the dungeon again.

In combat the character has good defenses 9 hp, take only half damage, ac 23, fh 1, but even with +11 to attack he only make 1d2 damage on a successful hit (DPR 1.7)

Final thought:
I though that this combo will be overpowered, but I found that it is not.
Of course he could map all the dungeon, including all secret rooms, but he invent all his resurce to do that (3 feats & 7 magic talents) so he is supposed to be good. And all the ref save (even with a +8) fell as a save or loose, at the point that I do not pick up the treasure!!

In in combat I fell that the only way he collaborate is beeing an extra target (one that supports a lot of attack) and not much more.
The only real problem was that it enables me to leave other player waiting 30 minutes while I explore the dungeon. But the wasn't a real problem yesterday since all get fun.

conclusion: I was wrong, the ghostly companion archetype do not need to be nerfed.
Always glad to get in-game feedback! The solitary nature of scouting is an issue regardless of how you do it, unfortunately.

khadgar567
2017-10-03, 09:56 PM
Is there a way to summon companion who is lets say sword pc uses?

stack
2017-10-04, 06:32 AM
There is not currently a way to take a piece of equipment and turn it into a companion. I'll have to give it a think.

Edit: and I think I have an idea. Will write it up later.

stack
2017-10-04, 08:51 AM
Object bound drawback added.

khadgar567
2017-10-04, 09:06 AM
Object bound drawback added.
so ash ketchum is conjuration sphere user with object bound talent sigh when i asked object companion i was thinking on more as "weapons" ins tead of drawback for creating /snark/pokemon golarion saga so what is this generations legendery mons tartaresque and lichs maybe/ snark/

Mehangel
2017-10-04, 09:31 AM
There is not currently a way to take a piece of equipment and turn it into a companion. I'll have to give it a think.

What about adding a new base form: Intelligent Item?

khadgar567
2017-10-04, 09:38 AM
What about adding a new base form: Intelligent Item?
that would be appreciated instead of pokemon drawback we get today

Danielxxi
2017-10-05, 09:44 PM
Hi, I have more questions about conjuration spells.

A2: Normal durations, yeah. If I didn't mention that in the clarifications I ought to.
A3: Should still apply, will make sure to cover that.

Ok, then spells and effects do not end when the companion is dismissed, although time spent until the companion is re-summoned still count towards the duration of the spell or effect.

Q5: is this even true if spell duration is measured in days? What happens when the spell pool is refreshed?

Q6: Are spells form the conjuration sphere considered conjuration(summing) and/or summoning spell?
It is important because some feats like Augment Summoning improves summoning spells.

Always glad to get in-game feedback! The solitary nature of scouting is an issue regardless of how you do it, unfortunately.

Today I talk with the DM of that game, and he says that the build do not ruin the game (The solitary nature of scouting is consequence of an optimized scouting build).
The problem was to create a real danger for the character.
As I say, form my point of view (player) the only real damage were the traps, but he says that he have to improve the traps damage to create that danger, he improves the traps from 2d6 to 4d6 damage ref half. And even then a successful save avoid the danger. To dismiss the companion he need me to fail the ref save (witch has a +8) and even then he needs to make 18 points of damage otherwise he was at full hp in a few rounds.

After a brief discussion we suggest to nerf the incorporeal condition of the ghostly archetype even more, to: reduce the damage by 10% per caster level rounded down (maximum 100%), half versus magic sources.

EldritchWeaver
2017-10-06, 02:04 AM
Today I talk with the DM of that game, and he says that the build do not ruin the game (The solitary nature of scouting is consequence of an optimized scouting build).

For group stealthing you need to have this: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/stealth-synergy-teamwork/ Unfortunately, unless one of you guys has a build which grants allies the benefit as well, everyone needs to take it or buy this ring: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-tactical-precision/. I just wonder if having Hellcat Stealth grants its benefits to all in the group, too, or if that would be overpowered, if it would be ruled that it does.

The problem was to create a real danger for the character.
As I say, form my point of view (player) the only real damage were the traps, but he says that he have to improve the traps damage to create that danger, he improves the traps from 2d6 to 4d6 damage ref half. And even then a successful save avoid the danger. To dismiss the companion he need me to fail the ref save (witch has a +8) and even then he needs to make 18 points of damage otherwise he was at full hp in a few rounds.

After a brief discussion we suggest to nerf the incorporeal condition of the ghostly archetype even more, to: reduce the damage by 10% per caster level rounded down (maximum 100%), half versus magic sources.

I feel that this is punishing a character for being good. Your DM looked at the benefits and changed the traps to undo the effects of your companion build. Which means that your investment doesn't help you at all. Now consider a build, which uses the Hellcat Stealth and Lurker in Darkness feats and the Protection HB talents Obscurity and Subtlety. Throw in the Detect Magic, See Hazard and Trapfinding senses and you can have a guy who runs around without being invisible, but still completely unnoticed and sees the traps before they can trigger. Add flight and and some way to get through things like the Fluid Body trait or simply incorporeality and you are untouchable.

Where is the challenge then? It isn't getting around, it is about gathering information. About planning the actual heist.

stack
2017-10-06, 09:33 AM
Q5: is this even true if spell duration is measured in days? What happens when the spell pool is refreshed?

Q6: Are spells form the conjuration sphere considered conjuration(summing) and/or summoning spell?
It is important because some feats like Augment Summoning improves summoning spells.

A5: At present, days of duration work as they would on anyone else. I am weighing the benefits of a 'refresh' though to limit the appeal of trying to 'kill' your companion to end effects (though since they are dismissed rather than actually killed, 'dead' doesn't really apply). There any convenient rulings on eidolons for comparison? Limited SRD access at the moment.
A6: it is a (summoning) effect but generally feats that apply to spells don't work with sphere effects without exceptions or DM permission. I wouldn't be inclined to allow augment summoning considering that:

It requires a feat tax. Even if you substitute sphere focus (conjuration) for spell focus, there are relatively few talents that it would apply to.
There are enough stat boosts for companions available as-is.

Danielxxi
2017-10-07, 10:13 AM
Not sure I understood the Unbound Companion Racial Class.

It seems to combine a race and a class in a similar way as dreamscared press monster classes: Unbound Companion Race and Unbound Companion Class.

Unbound Companion Race:
Stats: +2 to two stats, -2 to one.
Type: outsider with the (native)
special: choose a companion base form
speed: see form;
Special: must have a minimum of one Unbound Companion Class.
Race archetypes:
May possess companion archetypes except: beastial, familiar, ghostly, mindless, or puppet companion archetypes.

Unbound Companion Class.
d10 Hit Dice.
Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (fast progression).
Two good saving throws (depends on its base form)
Skill points equal to 1+ Int modifier (minimum 1) per Hit Die.
Class skills: Climb (Str), Fly (Dex), Knowledge (Planes), Stealth (Dex), Swim (Str).

Companion talent: At first level and every 2 levels thereafter gains a type or form talent. Any effect based on caster level is instead based on Unbound Companion Class levels.
Some talents works different:

Talents that grant a scaling bonus to an attribute grant their bonus as an enhancement bonus.
Form talents that grant equipment upon summoning may instead be used to summon equipment with a 1 minute ritual. Such equipment disappears 1 minute after leaving the unbound companion’s possession.
The Avian Creature (form) talent grant benefits identical to the Avian Transformation talent of the Alteration sphere until the Unbound Companion reaches 6 hit dice.

An unbound companion may improve himself taking (companion) feats and additional (form) talents using his feats.

Is this rigth?

stack
2017-10-07, 11:55 AM
It is both a race and class, yes. Base skills should be 2 though. The 1 is from an intelligence penalty.

Danielxxi
2017-10-07, 12:43 PM
It is both a race and class, yes. Base skills should be 2 though. The 1 is from an intelligence penalty.

You are right, the text on page 24 (spheres of power) says 2 skill point per level, I was looking table on page 23 that did not says that it includes the intelligence penalization.

You should take into account that intelligence depends on the base forms, and even all base forms on the sphere of power books has intelligence 7 (2 skill points -2, minimum 1 skill point per level), the orb forms has intelligence 10.

The table should not include the intelligence penalization.

EDIT: a comment was already added in the doc

Danielxxi
2017-10-07, 09:58 PM
Sorry for making so many questions, but I have more questions & suggestions. :smallsmile:

Q7: Does the Unbound Companion ages? It starting age should be 0?, but wich are middle, old, venerable, and maximum Age. Does it haves the ageless feature?

Q8: the Skillful Companion talent says : “Your companion’s Intelligence increases by 3 (raising its base Intelligence to 10)”.

It says it like that because all forms in the core book has intelligence 7. What happens if a companion takes the orb base form (base intelligence 10) and then take the skillful companion talent, its intelligence chage to 13? I assume ye, because the talent say intelligence +3 and “(raising its base Intelligence to 10)” looks like a comment, but not sure.

Q9: If it takes the Additional Limbs (extra pair of arms), “This does not automatically grant any additional attacks. See the alteration sphere”. But with the alteration sphere even if it does not gain extra natural attacks, he can wield 2 extra weapons, hence in a full attack round he can make 2 extra off-hands attacks. Is it right?

Suggestions:

I think that you should add favored class bonus. Maybe something that applies to the base class, or something general like. All classes: +1/6 form talent?

It will be more clear if you separate the race and the class (as the format in 3.5 savage species or in dsp monster races). I have to read this 3 times to understand that it is in fact a race and a class. Now that I known it is obvious, but I was not the only one in my group that do not understood this in the first read.

EDIT: Q8 answered in the comments of the playtest file. Its intelligence change to 13.