PDA

View Full Version : Ninja turtles

enginesoul
2017-09-26, 03:26 PM
I will soon start playing d&d again and need to make a new character. I was leaning towards a monk build and as a product of the 80s and with the new tortle rules, a ninja turtle character is something I have to seriously consider.

I like theme characters, but want to be effective. So, is a monk tortle viable? I am looking for a build with a combat focus. How might it be optimized?

Also open to ideas based more on the actual tmnt characters, Raphael in particular.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Foxhound438
2017-09-26, 04:46 PM
The race gives you str and wis, plus a decent AC even if you dump dex, so it's certainly viable, although a bit unconventional. Stats at L1 would probably look something like: 16/8/14/10/16/10. As said, the dex being low isn't a big deal, at least not immidiately. If you get up past level 8 you start suffering in the AC department compared to an unarmored defense user that would have an 18 at that point, but you do get the benefits of much better jumping when that matters, plus if you decide to grapple someone you have a much better success chance.

The biggest drawback here is probably the fact that you don't get a feat at L1 like you would as a variant human, but that isn't too big a deal anyways.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-09-26, 05:50 PM
Raphael was always the angry one, MC with Strength based Monk and Wolf Totem Barbarian, Rage and then flurry of blows. Ask if you can go kensei

enginesoul
2017-09-26, 06:05 PM
Is dumping dex ok? I know it's a big save attribute. I had originally thought variant human, but I'm also drawn to humanoids and the AC is nice.

I have not looked into barbarians much but rage does seem appropriate for Raph. Is kensei a big benefit to someone using daggers?

Also, was thinking some rogue levels but not sure how many.

Scathain
2017-09-26, 08:20 PM
Is dumping dex ok? I know it's a big save attribute. I had originally thought variant human, but I'm also drawn to humanoids and the AC is nice.

I have not looked into barbarians much but rage does seem appropriate for Raph. Is kensei a big benefit to someone using daggers?

Also, was thinking some rogue levels but not sure how many.

Is it okay? Sure, you do have proficiency, so it won't stay at -1.
However, if you want to MC you need at least a 13 in Dex for Monk. I like the Wolf Barb / Monk combo though, getting rage bonus on flurry of blows sounds like fun.
Kensei's main draw is counting more martial weapons as monk weapons, which combos well with Barb's big hits. It would work with a dagger, but not as well as something else. (Besides, shadow IS THE ninja archetype)

Saiga
2017-09-26, 09:33 PM
If you're making a strength Monk, I'd advise against multiclassing due to the 13 Dex requirement.

If you're not making a strength Monk, the Tortle features are pretty useless to you. So, I'd go with a straight class grapple Monk - if your DM will allows UA feats, then start with 17 strength and pick up the Brawny feat at level 4, you will be extremely good at grappling which is a lot of fun.

Lombra
2017-09-27, 06:32 AM
Barbarian - monk is totally doable. I'd go for it. 13 dex, and wis, high strength and con. Way of the kensei fits better the theme but it can work with any monk archetype really. Obviously you are gonna stay with the tortle AC, or the barbarian AC if it gets higher. Tough is a feat to consider.

enginesoul
2017-09-27, 01:28 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but would either a Barb's or Monk's unarmored defense benefit the tortle. I know the dex bonus does not. Is it the same for other attribute bonuses?

nickl_2000
2017-09-27, 01:49 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but would either a Barb's or Monk's unarmored defense benefit the tortle. I know the dex bonus does not. Is it the same for other attribute bonuses?

No it wouldn't. When you are calculating AC you choose your formula you can do
Natural Defense +dex (for non tortles)
Natural Defense not plus dex (for tortles)
Armor + Dex for light/med armor
Armor for heavy
Con + Dex for Barb
Wis + Dex for Monk

For instance if you were Monk/Barb multiclass you could not get Con + Dex + Wis since you would be combining a formula

enginesoul
2017-09-27, 03:26 PM
Ok. Thanks for the summary. That makes it clear.

17 does not seem like enough for a melee character. At least not one who isn't adding a shield and/or fighting style that adds AC. I guess kensei would help if I been that route.

If Wis isn't helping with AC, is stunning strike the only other (non-save) reason for high wis? And is stunning the big thing for monks?

SaA
2017-09-27, 08:04 PM
This is how i see the Ninja Turtles

Fighter Samurai + Monk = Leonardo
Artificer Alchemist + Monk = Donatello
Bard College of Satire + Monk = Michelangelo
Barbarian Berserker + Monk = Raphael
Mystic (Probably Soul Knife) + Monk = Splinter

i dont really know much of monk so i didnt put any subclasses