PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Phoenix-Folk (monster)

rferries
2017-09-26, 07:16 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Tck901X.jpg
PHOENIX-FOLK
MEDIUM MONSTROUS HUMANOID
Hit Dice: 12d8+60 (114 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 80 feet (perfect)
Armor Class: 30 (+3 enchanted robes, +5 Dex, +5 deflection, +7 insight), touch 27, flat-footed 25
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+17
Attack: Mithral glaive +20 melee (1d10+10/x3) or distance seeking mithral dagger +20 ranged (1d4+8/(19-20)/x2)
Full Attack: Mithral glaive +20/+15/+10 melee (1d10+10/x3) or distance seeking mithral daggers +20/+15/+10 ranged (1d4+8/(19-20)/x2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with glaive)
Special Attacks: Spells
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., monk AC, unearthly grace
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +18, Will +18
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 20, Con 20, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 20
Skills: Concentration +20, Diplomacy +22, Knowledge (any one) +20, Listen +20, Spellcraft +22, Sense Motive +20, Spot +20, Use Magic Device +7 (+9 scrolls)
Feats: Enchanted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534772-A-few-simple-feats-(Enchanted-Flight-Insightful-Strike)&p=22336997#post22336997), Fly-By Attack, Flurry of Knives (mithral daggers) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?537404-Flurry-of-Knives-(Feat)&p=22421047#post22421047), Magical Aptitude, Martial Pacifist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?533715-Feats-for-the-lover-not-the-fighter&p=22302529#post22302529)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic (any)
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2

This beautiful albino humanoid resembles a peacock and is clad in a robe of shimmering white silk. The blood-red light of the sunset gleams on the creature's mithral glaive and throwing daggers, and is caught in its ruby eyes.

Phoenix-Folk are inscrutable creatures descended from the Phoenix of legend. Like their ancestor they are forces of both renewal and destruction.

A Phoenix-Folk speaks Abyssal, Auran, Common, Celestial, Ignan, and Infernal.

Combat
A Phoenix-Folk is quite capable of engaging in melee, but generally prefers to cast spells and hurl daggers from afar.

Monk AC (Su)
A Phoenix-Folk adds its Wisdom modifier plus one-fifth it's character level as an insight bonus to its Armour Class.

Unearthly Grace (Su)
A Phoenix-Folk adds its Charisma modifier as a bonus to its saving throws and as a deflection bonus to its Armour Class.

Spells
A Phoenix-Folk casts spells as a 12th-level sorcerer (spells per day: 6/8/7/7/7/6/3, spells known: 9/5/5/4/3/2/1, save DC 15 + spell level). They may also cast spells from cleric spell list and from the Air, Destruction, Fire, Healing, and Sun domains. The cleric spells and domain spells are considered arcane spells for a Phoenix-Folk, meaning that the creature does not need a divine focus to cast them.

neriractor
2017-09-27, 07:42 PM
you know if your phoenix is the usual fire bird of rebirth I can hardly see what this race/monster has to do with them, yeah they are pretty great sorcerers but aside from some domains being related to their ancestry they donīt really get anything phoenexy, how about fire damage on every attack? how about they get some sort of penalized return from the dead after a week or so.

They just seem too bland, you could pretty much say they are [anything magic]-folk, change some domains and maybe the fly speed and nobody would notice the difference.

Westhart
2017-09-27, 07:44 PM
Hate to say it but one of the MM had a descendant of phoenix's already... think it was the one with the disease carrying tumble weed of death...

EDIT: I think so at least...

rferries
2017-09-27, 10:46 PM
you know if your phoenix is the usual fire bird of rebirth I can hardly see what this race/monster has to do with them, yeah they are pretty great sorcerers but aside from some domains being related to their ancestry they donīt really get anything phoenexy, how about fire damage on every attack? how about they get some sort of penalized return from the dead after a week or so.

They just seem too bland, you could pretty much say they are [anything magic]-folk, change some domains and maybe the fly speed and nobody would notice the difference.

Guilty as charged! I just wanted to do a generic conversion of Lord Shen haha. Normally I'd make them outsiders with the Air, Chaos, Fire, and Good subtypes but he's an evil mortal so I reduced them to this.

Hate to say it but one of the MM had a descendant of phoenix's already... think it was the one with the disease carrying tumble weed of death...

EDIT: I think so at least...

Yeah, plus the Giant did a conversion as well I believe (or maybe it was an article I read on the Wizard website once).