PDA

View Full Version : A curious parallel...

TheNifty
2007-08-14, 10:06 AM
I rather like the direction the story is going in at the moment. Feels like... the last few minutes of The Empire Strikes Back:

Han Solo/Roy is frozen in carbonite/dead. Luke/Elan and Leia/Hayley are trying to escape the clutches of Darth Vader/Redcloak by fleeing Cloud/Azure city on the Millennium Falcon/Hinjo's Junk. It is the rebellion's/OOTS's darkest hour. Will they save Han/Roy from a fate worse than/equal to death? Will they regroup and thwart the evil Emperor/Zykon before his dastardly plan to crush the rebellion/unleash the Snarl is put into action?

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-14, 10:12 AM
Yes.

And a Smilie to meet the minimum requirement:

:smallsmile:

Miraqariftsky
2007-08-14, 10:22 AM
Whaaat?! Sooo... you're implying that sometime in the future comics, it's going to be revealed that Elan is Haley's long lost brother?

Tal9922
2007-08-14, 10:23 AM
I bid you farewell from these forums, for the Giant will surely ban you when he sees you're pointing out to everyone on how he can't get original ideas :smallbiggrin: Just kidding Rich, i bid you to get better quick :smallsmile:

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-14, 10:37 AM
Actually, when I think about it more, I wonder how Rich will turn all of that on it's head!

Everything seems set up like the end of ESB, and I'm quite sure Rich realizes that. Now Rich needs to change everything up, so we don't have to see a big fat slug with a taste for alien (to him) strippers!

Fitzclowningham
2007-08-14, 10:40 AM
Come up with parallels for Belkar, Durkon, and V., and I'd say you're onto something. :)

Too bad about Thog being evil and all - he'd make a great Chewbacca.

TheNifty
2007-08-14, 10:45 AM
Durkon\Chewbacca = loyal, taciturn, strong but silent type.
V\C3PO = Prissy, intelligent, gender confused.
Belkar\R2D2 = short, feisty, bald.

Actually, if we ignore the gender bending, Miko and prequel trilogy Annakin share quite a few personality traits...

yoshi927
2007-08-14, 11:17 AM
No arguments, but what did Luke do to you to deserve being compared with Elan? :smallannoyed:

factotum
2007-08-14, 11:42 AM
Whaaat?! Sooo... you're implying that sometime in the future comics, it's going to be revealed that Elan is Haley's long lost brother?

Given what they've been up to already, that would be a little problematic... :smallbiggrin:

Uzraid
2007-08-14, 12:10 PM
On the plus side, if this story arc is Empire, we'll get to see Haley in a sexy bikini soon. :smalleek:

Kaelaroth
2007-08-14, 12:40 PM
On the plus side, if this story arc is Empire, we'll get to see Haley in a sexy bikini soon. :smalleek:

She's a comic character.... :smallsigh:

Though, I think this theory is brilliant. Where does Hinjo fit in?

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-14, 01:06 PM
She's a comic character.... :smallsigh:

Though, I think this theory is brilliant. Where does Hinjo fit in?

Um... A leader who lost his city to the BBEG? Lando Calrissian? :smallwink:

jamroar
2007-08-14, 04:38 PM
I rather like the direction the story is going in at the moment. Feels like... the last few minutes of The Empire Strikes Back:

Han Solo/Roy is frozen in carbonite/dead. Luke/Elan and Leia/Hayley are trying to escape the clutches of Darth Vader/Redcloak by fleeing Cloud/Azure city on the Millennium Falcon/Hinjo's Junk. It is the rebellion's/OOTS's darkest hour. Will they save Han/Roy from a fate worse than/equal to death? Will they regroup and thwart the evil Emperor/Zykon before his dastardly plan to crush the rebellion/unleash the Snarl is put into action?

I'd say Roy has clear parallels with Luke (suffers a crushing defeat and a long fall after facing his nemesis before he's ready, and is almost left behind by his friends).

Does that mean that Xykon is Roy's real father and the hobgoblin horde will be ultimately defeated by Ewoks at Kraagor's Gate? :smalltongue:

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-14, 05:01 PM
I'd say Roy has clear parallels with Luke (suffers a crushing defeat and a long fall after facing his nemesis before he's ready, and is almost left behind by his friends).

Does that mean that Xykon is Roy's real father and the hobgoblin horde will be ultimately defeated by Ewoks at Kraagor's Gate? :smalltongue:

Xykon=Roy's real father? Um... No.

Ewoks at Kraagor's Gate? DEAR GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY NO!!!

Seriously no. Not that. No penguins, either. :smallbiggrin:

PaladinFreak
2007-08-14, 06:01 PM
That is hilarious. I never thought of that before.

Unfortunately, the Hobgoblins are not subject to the Stormtrooper Effect.

yoshi927
2007-08-14, 06:10 PM
You know something cool about this idea?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0469.html

Belkar used the EoFaF to mind-control them (after a fashion). :smallbiggrin:

Ithekro
2007-08-14, 06:11 PM
I've seen this ending as parallel as well. However I don't see the Order following the path the leads to Return of the Jedi really. The dramatic and sad Second Act is fairly common after all. Empire Strikes Back is just one of the better known popular culture versions of that theme. The ending looking out of the Medical Frigate's window scene would fit very well with a scene of the Order's cast (or remaining cast) looking off the stern of Hinjo's Junk at the ruined city or the raising sun (as the sun seems to have set already).

Miraqariftsky
2007-08-15, 11:18 AM

A-hmmm! You forgot the conversion... Say, instead of Ewoks, how about halflings... or kobolds?

wymarc
2007-08-15, 12:34 PM
Of course. It's a standard plot format for 3 part epics.

Part 1: Meet the characters, villans and plot - Dungeon of Dorukan to the Crayons of Time - A New Hope

Part 2: Bad S*** Happens - Crayons of Time to present - Empire Strikes Back

Part 3: Good Guys Win - ??? - Return of the Jedi

wymarc
2007-08-15, 12:35 PM
Ewoks at Kraagor's Gate? DEAR GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY NO!!!

Seriously no. Not that. No penguins, either. :smallbiggrin:

Of course not! They'd be at Lirian's Gate

Ithekro
2007-08-15, 12:52 PM
Dwarves perhaps. Maybe halflings. We aren't sure if Kraagor's Gate is close to Halfling or Dwarven lands, just closer that those of the other four gates to the Halfling's homelands (or she was the one that wanted to keep Kraagor's memory reguardless of location).

Otherwise, the plot could follow the Three Act play, or since there are still two gates, a Four or even Five Act play. A Three Act play would assume they defeat Xykon at the next Gate he is engaged by the Order.

Of course it is possible that Xykon might pass the hidden gate in the desert and give up on it and go north, thus passing within 1,000 feet of the gate first. Then the Order goes gate hunting only to fight the LG's attempt at the gate. After this they have to rush north to fight Xykon. We either assume both gates will be destroyed, or they manage to save the day and keep the last gate intact (or else Lirian's Gate has been rebuilt) saving the world. Or they need to post quest to rebuild better gates, or destroy (A. Snarl or B. Rifts) to prevent this from happening again. Or mess up badly and have the world destroyed again. Or find the Snarl doesn't care anymore.

Hopefully there will be some side quests that keep everyone busy dispite the overall plot. Because the Order can't defend a gate fromXykon if Xykon isn't there...or if they can't find the gate either.