PDA

View Full Version : How good is Halfling Opportunist?

SangoProduction
2017-09-26, 11:20 PM
Within the context of Combat Maneuver optimization, how good is this class (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/halfling-opportunist)? (Yes, I know, it's not a spell casting thing. It's not going to be doing anything more than what it optimizes specifically for.) Also, the Feat Tax rules (http://michaeliantorno.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/) are in place, letting maneuvers just be used when they are useful, instead of spending feats to open those doors.

[EDIT: OK. Yeah. The ability is over complicatedly worded. Checked again. It's not basically doubling up on the bonuses, but it does effectively give a debuff and then a bonus on maneuvers. Thus, it's not as absolutely insane as I thought it was.]

Basically, at level 1, it provides an effective +3 to maneuver checks, though you've got to at least delay your first action, if you're going before your target in the first round. Paizo thinks that a +2 very specific maneuver check is worth nearly a full feat, so that's like... What? 8-10 feats worth? I guess it's arguable that it's only usable once per round.

This is because the overly complicatedly worded first ability adds Aid Another to your check, and subtracts it from whatever action you say provokes this. Then it gives you a +1 bonus to aid another at level 1.

Then, at level 5, on top of some other nice, if small, benefits, you get another +2 to maneuver checks (and -2 to their action), an average of +1/2 to maneuvers per level. This, after level 1, is on par with other popular suggestions are the Cad and Lore Warden fighter archetypes, which grant +1/2 (1/4 after second level), and +2/3 (first 3 levels) respectively. Although, I have no idea where they are getting sword secrets from.

Taken as a whole, though, the class grants on average +1 bonus per level, which surpassses those options (in addition to Cad only applying to a few maneuvers).

Of course, a 1 level dip in Maneuver Master Unchained Monk is undoubtedly better, with regards to a specific maneuver, granting 2 checks in a full attack (can be quantified as a +5 bonus, except that they can both pass, and have an effect, so idk) at a -2, and gains a maneuver feat (granting +2 to the specific check).

Am I off basis to call this a pretty good Maneuvers class, if you're already a Halfling? I mean, I'd guess you'd effectively have to add in that you're small (-1), but also that you have a Dex bonus (+1).

SangoProduction
2017-09-27, 08:15 AM
I mean, obviously, you don't need to be exclusive in the classes you take, and can just get all that apply, but there are some levels that are more efficient than others. I personally think that this class has a few of them.