PDA

View Full Version : Hex, it can't be this good, what are its limitations?

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-09-26, 11:23 PM
http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Hex
"Casting Time: 1 bonus action Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (the petrified eye of a newt)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour
You place a curse on a creature that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage to the target whenever you hit it with an attack. Also, choose one ability when you cast the spell. The target has disadvantage on ability checks made with the chosen ability. If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a turn of yours to curse a new creature. A remove curse cast on the target ends this spell early. "

So there are no saves against being hexed....what creatures are immune? Is the only way to get out of being hexed using Counterspell or Remove Curse or similar?

I'm missing something obvious, are devils, demons and all kinds of other creatures just immune to this?

Varlon
2017-09-26, 11:30 PM
It does what it says it does right there. Note that the disadvantage applies to ability checks, not saving throws, in case you were thinking that.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-09-26, 11:34 PM
It does what it says it does right there. Note that the disadvantage applies to ability checks, not saving throws, in case you were thinking that.

I sure was thinking that.

I saw "disadvantage" and I thought, "wow, as a bonus action I can give this thing disadvantage against whatever for my friends then smack it with an attack"

On a side note, does a creature know it if it gets Hexed?

Malifice
2017-09-26, 11:43 PM

Yes they do.

Xetheral
2017-09-26, 11:46 PM

That depends on the table. Different posters here disagree strenuously on that question.

AttilatheYeon
2017-09-26, 11:49 PM
It's good, but by high T2/T3 i have better things for my concentration.

Naanomi
2017-09-26, 11:53 PM
That depends on the table. Different posters here disagree strenuously on that question.
Specifically, it is very clear that they know it is cast on them... it is less clear if they know when you move it onto them instead of casting it

Laserlight
2017-09-26, 11:56 PM
Hex takes your Concentration, and one of your very limited spell slots (until you upcast it enough to last longer than a short rest), and the target has to die for you to transfer it. And it's not necessarily the best choice--my bladelock uses Darkness instead.

That's actually a tricky question. At the time you cast it, the target will know (unless you are Subtle) that you cast a spell; but until you hit him or he makes an ability check on that stat, it won't have any effect. (It is arguable whether he would know from "make an ability check"). But if you start your morning by Hexing a chicken and killing it, and half an hour later you move the hex from the chicken to your target, then the target won"t see you casting the spell.

imanidiot
2017-09-26, 11:57 PM
Specifically, it is very clear that they know it is cast on them... it is less clear if they know when you move it onto them instead of casting it

The wording of the spell doesn't mention anything about a visual effect or any inherent knowledge that Hex has been cast on them. RAW there would be no reason they would know.

Foxhound438
2017-09-27, 12:04 AM
to ignore all the semantics about knowing it's applied, it's a good spell but it isn't the be-all and end-all spell. It's cheap and efficient, but once you start looking at the 3rd and 4th level effects you can have for your concentration (and for a warlock, the same spell slot), those quickly outweigh the measily ~35% damage boost to your otherwise average at best damage.

Varlon
2017-09-27, 12:19 AM
I saw "disadvantage" and I thought, "wow, as a bonus action I can give this thing disadvantage against whatever for my friends then smack it with an attack"

If your friend's a grappler, you can curse the enemy's STR or DEX and when the time comes to avoid or break out of a grapple they'll have to choose between rolling their worse ability or rolling their better ability at disadvantage. There's not many more in-combat uses like that, but out of combat the possibilities are endless.

Malifice
2017-09-27, 12:28 AM
The wording of the spell doesn't mention anything about a visual effect or any inherent knowledge that Hex has been cast on them. RAW there would be no reason they would know.

They're cursed. They're suddenly much (much) weaker, tripping over themselves, out of breath, unable to communicate properly, or have their minds clouded.

The penalty is akin to being poisoned, or exhausted (applicable to one stat only though). You would know something was wrong instantly.

This all happened right after some creepy looking Witch was holding an eye of newt, pointing it at you ang gesturing strangely, while calling on their dark patron to curse you while the Witch gave you the evil eye.

Tanarii
2017-09-27, 12:44 AM
They're cursed. They're suddenly much (much) weaker, tripping over themselves, out of breath, unable to communicate properly, or have their minds clouded.
Or they're suddenly experiencing a run of inexplicable bad luck. Which is much more in keeping with the name of the spell, and the fact it only affects ability checks but not attack rolls or damage rolls (ie not weaker), saving throws (Dex save reaction times are fine), or things that don't require an ability check (no problems communicating properly).

Edit: oh, and of course the bonus action doesn't require any verbal, somatic, or other component to transfer to the new target.

Jerrykhor
2017-09-27, 12:48 AM
You are overrating the spell. It does what it says, and it is decent for a 1st level spell.

imanidiot
2017-09-27, 12:52 AM

The penalty is akin to being poisoned, or exhausted (applicable to one stat only though). You would know something was wrong instantly.

This all happened right after some creepy looking Witch was holding an eye of newt, pointing it at you ang gesturing strangely, while calling on their dark patron to curse you while the Witch gave you the evil eye.

None of that is implied by the description of the spell. You are also assuming that because I can see you to cast the spell that you can see me casting the spell. That is not necessarily true.

Malifice
2017-09-27, 01:08 AM
None of that is implied by the description of the spell.

Yes it does. It has V, S and M components (the eye of newt is one of them).

Youre waving your hands about (pointing at your target, giving him the evil eye etc) while calling out to your patron or uttering a dark curse, or both. You're also pulling out the eye of newt there somewhere as well (or using an arcane focus like a wand or a staff)

You are also assuming that because I can see you to cast the spell that you can see me casting the spell. That is not necessarily true.

Indeed. You could be hidden somewhere.

IMG if you declare you're casting Hex on an NPC or critter (hidden or otherwise) Initiative gets rolled.

Malifice
2017-09-27, 01:10 AM
Edit: oh, and of course the bonus action doesn't require any verbal, somatic, or other component to transfer to the new target.

Not expressly but you can certainly infer it.

A monks bonus action to flurry of blows doesnt expressly state anything is required either, but youre launching a flurry of lightning fast attacks or similar.

Just because an action doesnt expressly state its noticable, doesnt mean its assumed not to be.

Sirdar
2017-09-27, 01:52 AM
Hex can be great, but the opportunity cost you have to pay in order to make it great is often high. You have to keep it running for a very long time in order to beat a well placed Fireball (for instance). That requires a good Con save. Resilient Con or Warcaster is almost mandatory for a Warlock that wants to rely on Hex. You also need to land a lot of hits of course. And there will always be occasions when you want to drop your concentration on Hex before you managed to make enough damage to 'justify casting the spell' in order to cast a different spell that requires concentration.

It is quite liberating to NOT cast Hex even if you primarily want to be a damage dealer. That is my experience at least.

Edit: I think Hex is great as a Magic Initiate choice for a Fighter without competing spell casting options. They have the Con save and the attacks to make it shine in the boss fights.

Boci
2017-09-27, 02:58 AM
Youre waving your hands about (pointing at your target, giving him the evil eye etc) while calling out to your patron or uttering a dark curse, or both.

Or neither. You have to make a movement with your fingers and say something, but it doesn't have to be the above. In fact, given the bonus action casting time (so around 0.5-1 second) you probably aren't calling out to their patron, its a single word.

Everyone I am sure can agree people around you will know you cast a spell, but as to what that spells is or who the target is, that's less clear as to how obvious it is.

Laserlight
2017-09-27, 03:10 AM
Let's not repeat that whole "can you tell you've been Hexed" thread, please.

In answer to OP, Hex is good but not overwhelmingly so.

Coidzor
2017-09-27, 03:11 AM
I sure was thinking that.

It's effectively disadvantage to saving throws if you Hex their strength and then have someone or something strong grapple them and shove them prone.

Thunderbird
2017-09-27, 07:21 AM
From the PHB, page 204:

Unless a spell has a perceptible effect, a creature might not know it was targeted by a spell at all. An effect like crackling lightning is obvious, but a more subtle effect, such as an attempt to read a creature’s thoughts, typically goes unnoticed, unless a spell says otherwise.

There isn't something on the description on the spell that explicitly says that the target is aware of being hexed, as happens with the Charm Person spell for example. So if you are able to cast it without the target hearing the verbal component of the spell it might go unnoticed.
However, a DM could rule that the disadvantage on the selected ability checks is actually a perceptible effect of the spell, so I guess one can go both ways on that.

On topic, Hex is actually a very good spell, especially if you get a little creative on choosing the ability checks to give disadvantage to. For example, choosing Wisdom will cause the target to have a -5 penalty to their Passive Perception score, since they have disadvantage to Wisdom (Perception) ability checks. Not actually game breaking, but has some really nice uses.

Naanomi
2017-09-27, 07:31 AM
They're cursed. They're suddenly much (much) weaker, tripping over themselves, out of breath, unable to communicate properly, or have their minds clouded
But what if wisdom, which includes my perceptive abilities, is what is cursed?

Pex
2017-09-27, 07:37 AM
If your friend's a grappler, you can curse the enemy's STR or DEX and when the time comes to avoid or break out of a grapple they'll have to choose between rolling their worse ability or rolling their better ability at disadvantage. There's not many more in-combat uses like that, but out of combat the possibilities are endless.

Cursing Intelligence is useful if a spellcaster friend likes to use illusions, especially Phantasmal Force.

Naanomi
2017-09-27, 07:42 AM
Cursing Intelligence is useful if a spellcaster friend likes to use illusions, especially Phantasmal Force.
Or prepping for any out of combat skill contests; we tried to curse the Charisma of a lawyer going against us in court once... (incidentally didn't work, because turns out the prosecution's defense was 'The lawyer is a shapeshifted yugoloth, rawr!')

Trampaige
2017-09-27, 07:54 AM
I feel like hex is a trap most of the time for warlocks. If you multiclass sorcerer or bard and can throw it out as a lvl1 spell, it is most likely your most effective use of the spell points/slot for damage. But with 2 spell slots? You can do so much more with hypnotic pattern / hunger of hadar / fireball / phantasmal force / banishment / hold person / monster / darkness / fly / conjure elemental / etc. Sure, they can always make a save and waste your spell too or lose concentration, but you can effectively end an encounter with some of those spells.

I mean, theoretically it allows you to break the spell slot cap by concentrating on it through one or two short rests, but that relies on the DM to do encounters that way (which is really the lynchpin of whether or not a warlock is playable) and for you not to lose concentration.

Specter
2017-09-27, 08:01 AM

If you're in a magical world, and you see someone raise a dead eye in your direction, point a finger at you and say not-so-nice words, you have to assume it's not Bless.

Dudewithknives
2017-09-27, 08:06 AM
It's effectively disadvantage to saving throws if you Hex their strength and then have someone or something strong grapple them and shove them prone.

Neither of those are saves, they are opposed skill checks, nor do they effect any saves if they do happen.

DivisibleByZero
2017-09-27, 08:58 AM
Neither of those are saves, they are opposed skill checks, nor do they effect any saves if they do happen.

That's why he used the word effectively.

Citan
2017-09-27, 08:59 AM
Err, no, there is nothing in the spell description that says anything of the like.
Sooo... It's really up to the DM, but considering that some spells specifically say that a creature was aware of the effect (Friends, Charm Person, Detect Thoughts) it's fair to think that RAW is "no awareness".*

* Well, sure, if you stand in front of the person you curse while making all components, just before pushing it to make a check, it will certainly realize that you made something special affecting it. But the simple fact of being under effect is not enough per RAW. So per RAW, if you go unnoticed and cast from the maximum distance behind the target, there is little chance for the creature to notice it is affected by a spell.

Beyond that, each DM is free to interpret how the curse should manifest as he wants, either as a subtle stroke of bad luck (only your behaviour may allow the creature to understand it's under a spell effect) or as a magical effect that immediately feels through the whole body (meaning even with Subtle spell the creature would still immediately know there is something wrong from a magical origin, even if it cannot know who cast it), or anything in between.

Dudewithknives
2017-09-27, 09:03 AM
That's why he used the word effectively.

Yes, and used it completely incorrectly considering they have nothing to do with saves at all.

There is no effectively about it. It is just plain wrong.

KorvinStarmast
2017-09-27, 09:20 AM
They're suddenly much (much) weaker, tripping over themselves, out of breath, unable to communicate properly, or have their minds clouded.
You would know something was wrong instantly. That's a fair assessment.

This all happened right after some creepy looking Witch was holding an eye of newt, pointing it at you and gesturing strangely, while calling on their dark patron to curse you while the Witch gave you the evil eye. when that handsome half elf with a bemused smile upon his face is moved his fingers while holding his arcane focus (that looks something like a stick or a twig is speaking in a lyrical eldritch tongue ... ) {since his patron is the Archfey} FTFY :smallwink:

Cursing Intelligence is useful if a spellcaster friend likes to use illusions, especially Phantasmal Force. Yepper.
If you're in a magical world, and you see someone raise a dead eye in your direction, point a finger at you and say not-so-nice words, you have to assume it's not Bless. See above how the nice looking half elf does this without a dead eye. Arcane focus can substitute for material components. :smallcool:

Willie the Duck
2017-09-27, 09:30 AM
Agree with everyone that stated that there is no clear indicator within the spell one way or the other to believe you would know that you've been specifically hexed, barring seeing/hearing the casting going down. So whatever assumptions the DM chooses to make about the basics of spellcasting should be the same for this spell as any other without specific mentions.

Just because an action doesnt expressly state its noticable, doesnt mean its assumed not to be.

That is not the direction that the burden of proof goes.

On to the spell and OP topic: it is, like Bless, a good 1st level spell. It mostly helps facilitate the Warlock role of consistent, low resource investment ranged combat damage. One nice thing about it is that although high level castings last longer, the first level casting is still the full damage benefit. So if you are a multiclass warlock (the infamous sorlock, or maybe a cleric1 warlock X-1 to get better armor options for your bladelock), you can use your low-level spell slots from your other class to cast it for a combat (and thus save your 2-for-much-of-your-career warlock slots for more serious beatdown).

DivisibleByZero
2017-09-27, 09:43 AM
Yes, and used it completely incorrectly considering they have nothing to do with saves at all.

There is no effectively about it. It is just plain wrong.

Contested ability checks and Saving Throws are nearly identical.
A contested Ability Check gets a DC set by one thing, and the opposition rolls to overcome that DC or X thing happens.
A Saving throw gets a DC set by a different thing, and the opposition rolls to overcome that DC or Y thing happens.
There is a roll. There is a DC for that roll. Advantage or Disadvantage play a part in it. If the roll succeeds, nothing happens or something lesser happens. If the roll fails, a more severe thing happens.
Hence, granting disadvantage against a grapple, for example, is similar to what is being described, and is *effectively* the same thing in both cases.
He wasn't wrong. You're just nitpicking.

Lombra
2017-09-27, 09:45 AM
For the target to understand that the caster cursed it, I'd use either a passive arcana check VS the caster's spellcasting save or an active check from the creature being cursed, if, the creature has reasons to believe it got cursed. Which means that the creature has to know that it could be cursed, what being cursed means, or has dealt with such problems before, and has the intelligence to remember and adapt to it.

Arial Black
2017-09-27, 10:11 AM
Hex takes your Concentration, and one of your very limited spell slots (until you upcast it enough to last longer than a short rest), and the target has to DIE for you to transfer it.

Just posting a correction here: it might not come up in actual play, but it isn't the target's death that allows the warlock to switch targets!

The spell description says, "If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to curse a new creature".

When you take a creature to zero hp with a melee weapon, you can opt to make the target unconscious instead of killing it (or forcing it to start making death saves). So you can move the hex as soon as you've knocked that creature out, and you don't have to kill him.

Usually this distinction won't come up, but it is important to realise the difference. Smart players can make use of this very distinction. :smallsmile:

For example, the target falling to zero hp means that you are allowed to move the hex; it doesn't mean that you must move it. You can keep the hex on the creature that was knocked out, and keep it there even after it regains hp and wakes up. At any time after that, as long as the spell is still running, you can move the hex to a new target, and you don't have to wait for the current target to fall to zero hp again because you already have permission to move it from the first time it fell to zero.

Naanomi
2017-09-27, 11:36 AM
Err, no, there is nothing in the spell description that says anything of the like.
Sooo... It's really up to the DM, but considering that some spells specifically say that a creature was aware of the effect (Friends, Charm Person, Detect Thoughts) it's fair to think that RAW is "no awareness".
It is true that Hex is no more awareness causing than any other Spell with somatic and verbal componants; and there is some debate about how visible that is.

In general I have verbal and somatic componants be fairly noticeable (without subtlespell); no whispers under your breath and somatics with a crystal in your pocket and so on... if you allow such 'always subtle' casting then indeed Hex doesn't have a lot of identifying features

Malifice
2017-09-27, 11:39 AM
It is true that Hex is no more awareness causing than any other Spell with somatic and verbal componants; and there is some debate about how visible that is.

In general I have verbal and somatic componants be fairly noticeable (without subtlespell); no whispers under your breath and somatics with a crystal in your pocket and so on... if you allow such 'always subtle' casting then indeed Hex doesn't have a lot of identifying features

In my games if you cast a hostile spell on a creature (charm, hex, magic missile etc), then initiative is resolved and you can cast it on your turn.

Presuming the dude you are trying to cast it on it doesn't cut you down first.

Dudewithknives
2017-09-27, 11:46 AM
Contested ability checks and Saving Throws are nearly identical.
A contested Ability Check gets a DC set by one thing, and the opposition rolls to overcome that DC or X thing happens.
A Saving throw gets a DC set by a different thing, and the opposition rolls to overcome that DC or Y thing happens.
There is a roll. There is a DC for that roll. Advantage or Disadvantage play a part in it. If the roll succeeds, nothing happens or something lesser happens. If the roll fails, a more severe thing happens.
Hence, granting disadvantage against a grapple, for example, is similar to what is being described, and is *effectively* the same thing in both cases.
He wasn't wrong. You're just nitpicking.

1. A contested ability check is not the same as a saving throw at all.

1.a: A saving throw always has the same DC if cast by the same person and has little fluctuation because there are only a few things that change save DC's. An opposed check has is not a DC at all, it is an opposed check where you compare the results of 2 rolls.

1.b: For a save only the defender rolls against a set number, that they will know ahead of time.

1.c: For opposed checks both parties involved roll and compare their rolls, nothing like rolling for a target save DC, not only that but in the example given it is not always even going to be the same skill being opposed.

1.d: They do not even have the same proficiency types, one is a save proficiency the other is a skill proficiency.

2. Your ludicrous example describes every single roll in the entire system: Roll a die, adjust for modifiers, and check the results to see if you succeed. You just described every roll in every gaming system that uses dice. Saying they are "practically" the same like you describe would be like saying that rolling a check in the World of Darkness system to sneak past a guard while using Obfuscation when the Guard has Auspex is the same as rolling an attack with a longsword in 5e.

3. Similar and "effectively the same thing" are not interchangeable.

4. You can call it nitpicking if you want but I understand that you have a huge ego and think you know it all, but in this case you are both just plain wrong.

Boci
2017-09-27, 11:56 AM
In my games if you cast a hostile spell on a creature (charm, hex, magic missile etc), then initiative is resolved and you can cast it on your turn.

Presuming the dude you are trying to cast it on it doesn't cut you down first.

How is the dude interrupting my 1 second bonus action with their 3.5 second action-action?

Laserlight
2017-09-27, 12:00 PM
Just posting a correction here: it might not come up in actual play, but it isn't the target's death that allows the warlock to switch targets!

The spell description says, "If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to curse a new creature".

When you take a creature to zero hp with a melee weapon, you can opt to make the target unconscious instead of killing it (or forcing it to start making death saves). So you can move the hex as soon as you've knocked that creature out, and you don't have to kill him.

Usually this distinction won't come up, but it is important to realise the difference. Smart players can make use of this very distinction. :smallsmile:

Good point, although every time I try to take a prisoner, someone finishes him off pretty quickly. In theory, I'm the only Chaotic Evil PC in the party, but...

Boci
2017-09-27, 12:01 PM
Good point, although every time I try to take a prisoner, someone finishes him off pretty quickly. In theory, I'm the only Chaotic Evil PC in the party, but...

If they're in combat with you that means they are guilty of attempted murder of a PC if nothing else, and the penalty for that is widely accepted to be death. /sarcasm

DivisibleByZero
2017-09-27, 12:05 PM
I understand that you have a huge ego and think you know it all, but in this case you are both just plain wrong.

For posterity.
Pot, meet kettle. Now read my sig.

Citan
2017-09-27, 01:14 PM

Err, you probably misunderstood me. ;)
In case you missed the post I made a bit above, please let me explain again in different words.

There are two matters at hand here.
1. Is the creature aware of being under a magical influence, just per the effect of the spell?
2. Can the creature deduce it is under influence and possibly identify the caster?

As for 1, everything in the PHB tends to answer "NO" by default. Basically only Malifice likes to houserule it is an auto-awareness. Good for him. ;)

As for 2, the answer is obviously "sure, it CAN, but it does not make that deduction automatically". It just falls down into DM territory because there are so many things to take into account: environment around, relationship with target, target's expected self-awareness and knowledge, etc...
Let's take five situations.
a) You and your target are alone in a room, you cast Hex.
b) You and your target are alone in a room, you cast Subtle Hex.
c) You and your target are in a lively tavern, you cast Hex while close being in his field of vision/hearing.
d) You and your target are in a lively tavern (people arguing/cheering, background music), you are away from it (like 30 feet and in its back, or just at the opposite table in the tavern), you cast Hex.
e) Same as d) with Subtle.

For the sake of argument, we will suppose that the target is a creature with enough self-awareness and intelligence to act and think rationally, but is otherwise not savvy in arcanic magic (read: lambda NPC). Meaning, it just knows that there are magic users in the world, which usually have to waive hands and utter words to do their tricks.

In a), the target will obviously know you just cast a spell at it.
In b) however, the target has no particular reason to think its sudden bad luck comes from magic, unless the context provided one, such as...
- You presented yourself as a magic user (like, wearing a big robe and pointy starred hat with a quarterstaff and beard XD).
- You have grown a special reputation during your adventures, so people know you tend to try and influence people magically.
- You and target were engaged in hostile relationship from the get go, so it may expect you to try something.
- You just made it before engaging in a check contest of some sort (or, worse, DURING it XD).

In c), it will be mostly obvious you cast a spell, unless DM admits you can hide somatic components among normal "oratory gestures" and verbal components among normal discussion (disclaimer: I don't think any DM would ever allow that). Because of that, the creature may be alarmed. Yet, unless/until it tries to do something special (that requires a check), by RAW it shouldn't do anything, so it's up to the DM to decide whether the curse manifests itself through normal actions such as walking (DEX), remembering (INT) or speaking normally (CHA)...

In d), why would the creature notice it's under a spell? As said before, the spell effect itself is not giving away its existence, and until the creature had any good reason to take interest to you before/during/after the cast, or someone else noticed you casting the spell and decided to tell everyone about it, there is no reason for you to be ever suspected.
The e) is basically overkill here unless you just want to be sure nobody, even people spying on you without you knowing it, will notice that you cast a spell.

One last example for the road: you have been tasked by a merchant to manage, any way you want, to help him convince a local noble to agree to his request. You know the noble will make a parade in the next days to assert his popularity, so you tell him to arrange a discussion somewhere later on that day or the day after (depending on how high you can cast Hex). Once the day comes, you disguise yourself as a commoner (maybe using Disguise Self or Alter Self on top of that, who knows) then blend into the cheering crowd. It would require extremely sharp intuition or perception (as well as a good knowledge) from the lord's bodyguards to notice you and recognize the signs of a casting, especially since they will usually be more on guard against close-by melee threats or potential archer assassins, not a random guy somewhere around 80-90 feet from their master.

(Ahem, please don't think about how probable it is that the lord actually doesn't show his face but stays in his carriage because it would make my whole example irrelevant. XD Let's stay he's a young, naive and trusty lord. ^^)

Boci
2017-09-27, 01:18 PM
In c), it will be mostly obvious you cast a spell, unless DM admits you can hide somatic components among normal "oratory gestures" and verbal components among normal discussion (disclaimer: I don't think any DM would ever allow that). Because of that, the creature may be alarmed. Yet, unless/until it tries to do something special (that requires a check), by RAW it shouldn't do anything, so it's up to the DM to decide whether the curse manifests itself through normal actions such as walking (DEX), remembering (INT) or speaking normally (CHA)...

Walking and remembering sure, but charisma? That's how convincing you are. I'm not sure you'd notice a drop in that in of itself. You're speaking normally, but your words are reaching others like they usually do.

samcifer
2017-09-27, 01:29 PM
What about combining Hex with an illusion spell like Silent Image, Disguise Self or Minor Illusion? Would Hex be able to help hinder attempts to see past the illusion?

Varlon
2017-09-27, 01:41 PM
What about combining Hex with an illusion spell like Silent Image, Disguise Self or Minor Illusion? Would Hex be able to help hinder attempts to see past the illusion?

Yes, since those are all INT(Investigation) checks.

Maxilian
2017-09-27, 03:45 PM

I think it also work with the Shield Master ability to push the enemy prone with your bonus action.

rbstr
2017-09-27, 04:11 PM
If:
The spells has verbal or somatic components
and
you're not using Subtle
Then:
Whoever might have seen or heard you do it will know you've cast a spell. They won't necessarily know what's been cast and on who or what. I think that'd be an arcana check.

The Noble up on stage might not hear or see you do it thanks to the crowd and thus have no clue why hes suddenly dizzy or whatever. But people standing next to you in a crowd would know you cast a spell. Might not know what spell.

Basically you need to give yourself some plausible obfuscation. Under greater invisibility in a noisy place? hardly anyone would have a clue.
But you don't just just get to fiddle with something in your pocket and inaudibly whisper.

Citan
2017-09-27, 04:14 PM

Yes, since those are all INT(Investigation) checks.
In the same spirit, you could also use it to keep someone into a Phantasmal Force (also INT), Entangle (STR), Evard's Black Tentacle (STR) etc...

Hex is like the dark twin of Enhance Ability, so they can both shine when combined with the same spells, depending on whether end you currently are... ^^

Except Hex has the definite advantage of being movable from one target to another, making anyone with it a great companion for any martial/caster relying on sustainable checks. ;)

Boci
2017-09-27, 04:19 PM
In the same spirit, you could also use it to keep someone into a Phantasmal Force (also INT), Entangle (STR), Evard's Black Tentacle (STR) etc...

Entangle is a strength save, and evard's is a dexterity save, but if they fail its then a dex or strength check to escape.

Citan
2017-09-27, 07:26 PM
Entangle is a strength save, and evard's is a dexterity save, but if they fail its then a dex or strength check to escape.
Yeah of course. Sorry if it was unclear from my post, I did think about those post-save checks. ;)