PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars!!!

Volug
2007-08-14, 10:37 AM
just wondering if any1 here plays the game.

and if any1 is in the guild that made this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gOqUQK6L_rQ&mode=related&search=

my guild is A [Dawn] of a new time.

and here are may character names
volke wildfang
Lord Xeragnarok
Ffvii Kidaj

post your names here!

Crispy Dave
2007-08-14, 06:50 PM
i used to play i cant remember what my name is as soon as i get internet back up at the end of the sumer ill start playin again

Malic
2007-08-15, 12:23 AM
Here's mine. Or 1 of em. (have 7)

Malic The Great

I've played for 2 years and have two mini pets. Nothing really good though.

Setra
2007-08-15, 01:46 AM
I've been playing for a year and a half, I don't play too much these days but...

Characters:
Kakan Tesra (Tyrian Warrior)
Rena Tesra (Tyrian Ranger)
Leon Tesra (Canthan Necromancer)
Setra Tesra (Canthan Elementalist)

I recently deleted all but two of my characters (Kakan and Rena).

If you need any advice, just ask me, I may not know as much as I used to, but I'm still quite knowledgable about the game.

Edit: Also, check this video. Made by the same people. I believe they are a European Guild.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mCepqvZDiQw&mode=related&search=

Malic
2007-08-15, 07:48 AM
Oh man I remember that guild. It was destroyed since almost everyone was a bot. It was made by one of the initial programer's I think. He didn't get fired but he did get in trouble...

And the Expansions I have are Original, Factions, and nightfall. I'm hoping to get GW:EN when it come's out though. I took a five month break and came back about a month ago.

MR.F
2007-08-17, 05:43 AM
Well its good game that is not time consuming.I have six characters and all of them are fun to play.

Darth Gunushen (Tyrian Necromancer)
Melekh the Changer (Tyrian Warrior)
Katil Halvar (Canthan Assassin)
Begonya Dokunusu (Canthan Monk)
Seknem Meru (Elonian Dervish)
Hakim Kahr Aman (Elonian Elementalist)

Maxymiuk
2007-08-17, 10:15 AM
I have eight characters, but chances are you'll find me playing one of these two:

Gerard Shale (Elonian Monk) - though I've went and trailblazed through most of Prophecies with him just for the heck of it
Meira Vox (Elonian Mesmer) - ditto for Factions and frequently seen in AB.

TheBoneSplitter
2007-08-17, 11:13 AM
LOL, I played, and I had a rather profane name and a crappy "dance video" to some metal band to go along with that. :smallbiggrin:

2007-08-17, 01:51 PM
I had a paladin named "Gordon the Purple" that I had a lot of fun with.

He was just a level 20 pvp character back when the game was first released. I'd join battles and go to town on people.

Gordon had lots of catch phrases, every time the fight would be about to start he'd shout;

"Prepare for the Purple!"

and when he won;

"Once again the Purple is victorious!"

He'd always refer to himself in third person, and usually just as The Purple.

This was way back in the day when no one had any really uber equipment and most pvp was just premade characters. I remember one streak I had with a team where we won close to 100 matches in a row. A few people in the later matchs would hear Gordon's battlecry and go, "Oh ****, not YOU again!"

Logic
2007-08-17, 03:32 PM
He may have been a Paladin in spirit, but what was he in reality? Paladins are not available in Guild Wars yet.

Tom_Violence
2007-08-17, 05:32 PM
He may have been a Paladin in spirit, but what was he in reality? Paladins are not available in Guild Wars yet.

Well, 'Paladin' is the generally accepted designation for the Warrior/Monk type, so I guess that depends on your definition of 'reality'. :smallwink:

Volug
2007-08-17, 05:54 PM
i need to make 1 of those kind of characters. i really wish i could play as an Assasin/Dervish. are they good?

Logic
2007-08-17, 06:10 PM
Well, 'Paladin' is the generally accepted designation for the Warrior/Monk type, so I guess that depends on your definition of 'reality'. :smallwink:

This is news to me. Besides, the Paragon is much closer to a Paladin than any Warrior/Monk in it's implementation.

Grey Paladin
2007-08-17, 07:01 PM
This is news to me. Besides, the Paragon is much closer to a Paladin than any Warrior/Monk in it's implementation.

Warrior/Monk s are indeed nicked Paladin, since beta.

Logic
2007-08-18, 01:24 AM
Hmm. No one has used that term around me, but I have only been playing for 6 months or so.

2007-08-18, 01:29 AM

He was a warrior/monk.

Choice in the PvP screen called him a paladin, so I got into the habit of calling him one too.

Gordon was sick, though. He had some combination of powers so that every time he took damage, he healed himself.

Prustan
2007-08-18, 06:44 AM
My brother used to play, and has let me borrow his copy - along with his account. Have GW and Factions, and am currently playing GW with Prustan Charfoe, a Lvl 11 Ranger/Elementalist.
Definately need to brush up on some better tactics though, trying to get Althea's ashes took far too many deaths.

Bzar
2007-08-18, 06:53 AM
Gotta love healing hands!

Although the current metas are spike damage with assassin's and all of them... it makes monking reallly reallly hard (Bzar the Healer).

Stormzen
2007-08-18, 12:14 PM
I started playing about 4 months ago but got tired of dying and dying on the Ring of Fire, and my guild was disbanded due to inactivity so I quit for a couple months. I just started playing again.
My characters are:
Denvar Gharth (Tyrian Warrior)
Aristotle the Monk (Tyrian Monk)
Dine On Swine (Tyrian Necromancer)
Mista Pistol Whippa (Tyrian PvP Elementalist)
I play on Denvar the most.

nastyman
2007-08-18, 11:23 PM
i play guild wars quite a bit. enjoy it alot. and yes in fact pre-beta you only had a few choices of characters to play. one of which was a pre-designed character called the paladin. that carried into beta pvp pre-mades and at release pvp premade paladin character with a skill set used by several large pvp guilds. most notably by War Machine[WM]. my guild was ranked 3rd at end of beta. but now i dont have time for the elite pvp guilds and just play in a fun little guild.

if you want to contact me in game for fun or looking for a guild lately im on my monk Nirhan Shadowmauler alot. or my Elementalist Vadin Shadar. but i have a character of nearly every profession.

Thervold
2007-08-20, 11:43 AM
This was way back in the day when no one had any really uber equipment and most pvp was just premade characters. I remember one streak I had with a team where we won close to 100 matches in a row. A few people in the later matchs would hear Gordon's battlecry and go, "Oh ****, not YOU again!"

Ah, the good ol' days when you didn't get forced into team arenas. I had a similar insane winning streak back then, but it didn't show how many consecutive wins you had, so I lost count. The best I've had with a screen shot to prove it was using my PvE character in PvP: http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Image:ThervoldRA.jpg

And some of us have kept a GW thread going on here since Factions. Unfortunately, the thread title is a bit misleading, as discussion has changed since Nightfall and soon GWEN will be out, but here's the link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17039&page=19

nastyman
2007-08-20, 12:25 PM
that thread is too bulky time to reitre it and start a new one!

and yea pre-factions pvp was the best. my favorite arena was always the crag because it didnt matter if you died as long as you kicked more ass than the other team. i logged into the crag one day with my r/w axe condition spreader to find myself teamed with 2 gray bars and a smite monk. we beat 2 wammos a mes and a real monk 9 to 1. the only kill they got was on my smite monk. me and that smite monk went on to win 32 consecutive battles before i had to go to work. it was a good fun day.

Bzar
2007-08-24, 08:20 PM
Probably is a good idea to retire the old one and start a new one.

Anyhow, the GWEN pre-weekend just started and I think it's pretty good. We see Gwen again! =O

I wanna see how this ends... and see how long it takes for people to start taking advantage of the shiny new-ness of it. >.<

Timarvay
2007-08-25, 10:52 AM
No missions in Gwen. They have missionlike quests.

Blood washes blood is not fun. Something like an hour to get up to the final bit where you need to kill 5 groups of Charr, and by then nearly everything was at 60 death penalty from dealing with huge groups. Combine that with the char having things that rez, along with defensive skills that block my interupts, and I couldn't finish it.

Thus, no missions are bad, because in the other games the first bit of that would be like a quest right before a mission.

Foeofthelance
2007-08-25, 12:59 PM
I'm running around as guildmaster for Scions of the Bahamut, so if anyone wants in drop me a line. I'm usually playing as Valor Signus in Prophecies, but I may start Factions soon.

trying to get Althea's ashes took far too many deaths.

Hahahaha, this is perhaps the single worst quest I've ever encountered in the game. There are probably 50-60 charr in that one little temple area, not to mention the three hydras that ambush you if you try and sneak around! And of course her ashes are guarded by four groups, each with healers. It took me, my brother, and our friend the better part of two hours of doing it, and we were pretty much at permanent -60 DP by the time we finished.

Personal Gripe: They nerfed Endure Pain in the recent updates, making the skill useless for anything but monsters, as you lose the HP when the skill ends. I use to use it to fight and escape big battles, but now its just a great way to mysteriously end up dead.

Prustan
2007-08-25, 03:41 PM
Everything around the temple was fine. I had no problems with the hydras, or the groups of Charr all around the temple - until I got to the stairs, and met the four groups at once. Quickly turned into: activate, severely wound/kill a couple, die, run back to repeat. DP sucks.

Abardam
2007-08-26, 11:47 AM
I take it you guys haven't done The Captured Son (http://www.crithitcomics.com/tankmanga03.htm), then?

And that's not a nerf, Endure Pain always worked like that. Unless now you lose more HP than you gained...?

nastyman
2007-08-26, 03:38 PM
yea. captured son or altheas ashes. thats a toss up as to which is harder.

im gonna go with captured son just because the healers have better heal spells than infuse.

Foeofthelance
2007-08-26, 08:03 PM
And that's not a nerf, Endure Pain always worked like that. Unless now you lose more HP than you gained...?

No, before the recent wave of updates it worked the way most HP gain spells do in D&D, where you lose those Hit Points first when you take damage. So if you got 100 HP from Endure Pain and took 101 damage during the spell you were only 1 HP lower when the spell ended. Now when it ends it subtracts however much you gained in the first place from your current HP. So now if you have less than what it gave you, you die, were as previously nothing happened.

Bzar
2007-08-26, 09:08 PM
Oh, so previously it would just subtract the 100 health from the endure pain from the maximum health?

Blood washes Blood with henchies... yich. That didn't work too well at all. -shudder- Ended up asking Thervold for help with it. Somehow, we didn't die by the end of the quest. Somehow.

Anyone gone dungeoning in the new GW:EN dungeons? I went to that Frostmaw one and ended up with 4k+4 diamonds as a result. In around 4 hours worth of time. I don't think that's too bad for time vs. profit. Anyone else go dungeon running?

Timarvay
2007-08-27, 05:20 AM
I couldn't find any dungeons, besides raven point for the other northern allies quest. Also, Does Warmaster Tydus mimic your skill bar in the Norn Fighting Tournament?

If he doesn't, whoever did the skill bars for the opponents has good taste, since I was using one nearly the same as it.

Bzar
2007-08-27, 09:46 AM
I believe there were 4 (I also heard there was one more, but it was harder to get too). I only did 2--failed one, and succeeded from the other. Stupid PUGs.

I don't think any of the tournament guys mimic your skill bar, maybe you just were lucky.=P Did you win at least?

Thervold
2007-08-27, 11:17 AM
I like the dungeon crawl feel of the dungeons, complete with traps and puzzles that were lacking in all the preceeding (with the sole exception of the second Elonian mission). I didn't finish exploring the swamp, so I never found Darkrime, but the other three were fun.

I don't mind the missions being replaced with these mission-like quests. That one with the charr wasn't too hard to hench as long as you used sound tactics. As Bzar saw when we joined together for it, it's possible to run through that without dying. Those boss groups at the bear shrine in particular were much more managable once you pulled them one at a time. Afterwards, I was running through the charr as a 700-health bear-infused beatstick. It was fun.

No, the tournament guys don't mimic skill bars. But I'm guessing the designers looked through popular stand-alone builds and put many of them in. You have Tydus as a poison/BA ranger, Mhenlo with a pathetic attempt at a 55 monk, Argo as the earthen invinca-ele, etc. Luckily, the AI doesn't use all the builds quite as effectively as humans can.

And I agree with Abradam that The Captured Son remains one of the most difficult quests, especially for characters that don't have max level/equipment. Althea's used to be difficult, but now I use that as a hunting ground when they give holiday goodies for charr carvings :)

Timarvay
2007-08-27, 11:46 AM
I lost to tydus the first time because I forgot to switch out my rez signet, but the second time it was easy when I took whirling defense. Now, is it just me, or are the monk opponents harder than the non-monks in the tournament? Although I must admit I had trouble doing damage to Argo, and I just had to degen him.

Also, bear shrine bosses don't even need to be pulled. You can take them one at a time without being cautious in the least bit.

Thervold
2007-08-28, 01:50 AM
Yes, I came very very close to dying at the hands of Alesia... I don't think I could live that down if she actually beat me. I guess she's had enough of players badmouthing her and decided to fight back. And just be glad Argo doesn't know how to use that build to it's full effect. I've used it in alliance battles and took on half the army.

Bzar
2007-08-28, 01:07 PM
What build would that be?

Thervold
2007-08-29, 09:41 AM
The invinca-ele build. Earth Attunement, Stoneflesh, Armor of Earth, Sliver Armor, and Mystic Regeneration for defense and Stone Daggers, Sandstorm, and Argo's Cry for offense. A good ele can do exceptionally well with that build (assuming no enchantment stripping), but Argo just doesn't keep everything up as much as he should.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-29, 09:52 AM
Thanatos Saalaksin (20 Tyian Ranger (Usually -/warrior, not that it matters, since the whole of the build is ranger skills) is the only charecter I really play anymore. Haven't completed any of the campagins yet, actually.

Jayemji
2007-08-29, 10:30 AM
Been playing more than a year and a half now, a couple days away from a month+ long hiatus.

9 characters, all level 20 (left the last slot for PvP). About to get my mesmer a full set of Rogue's 15k. :D

I dunno what problem you guys have with Cap son though, it's pretty easy if you pull right. Heck, I henched it with a level 13 mesmer and she got 4k towards her Survivor title. Granted, the henchmen were a little worse for the wear...

Prustan
2007-08-29, 04:18 PM
Well, just had my first pvp experience last night. Lvl 4 Assassin named Whispering Fan, using Unsuspecting Strike/Fox Fangs/Twisting Claws combo. First three rounds were fine, and I killed someone each time. Then the fourth team actually had some tactics, and won...
My other teammates were all lvl 8 - 10.

Thervold
2007-08-30, 11:14 AM
I like to do PvP now and then, although it's usually just in random arenas. Use those early arenas as practice, as once you enter the normal PvP arenas, most of the players there are experienced. You'll find that even in those early arenas, it's beneficial to be at least level 8 to survive a decent amount of time. Also, once you pass level 10, you cannot enter those starter arenas.

And if anyone wants to contact me in game, my primary character is Melek Thervold (although I have many others (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User:Thervold)too).

Bzar
2007-08-30, 10:03 PM
GWEN goes live today at 3:00AM! Can't wait--I'm so excited!

Me and Thervold (or Thervold and I for you grammar sticklers) are going to be running through for basically the entire day. Or my day at least.

Any of you guys wanna come?

Timarvay
2007-08-31, 07:12 AM
I'll be on from whenever my parent's wake up and let me use their credit card, to whenever the grab a crowbar and drag me away from the computer.

Check if Eladrel Longshaft is on. Do this periodically. Message him if he is, saying you are from GITP.

Shades of Gray
2007-09-01, 11:35 AM
can anyone suggest a good ele build for the figthing norn tourney?

Timarvay
2007-09-01, 02:33 PM
Bring skills that cause Blind, for dealing with Magni.

In other news, I have finished Nightfall for the first time. I only got it the day it went live....

Thank you to Bzar and Thervold for helping me deal with the Gate of Madness.

I managed to Hench Abbadon's gate, and it was much easier than Madness. I only had one casualty (Cynn) although I shall have to do it again when I can afford the rest of my primeval armor set.

Bzar
2007-09-01, 07:06 PM
I didn't help much. I had to go halfway through =(

Timarvay
2007-09-01, 08:17 PM
You were still usefull for most of the mission.

I just did two dungeons.

Fronris Irontoe's lair is easy but with next to no reward. I got a dwarven ale from the chest. Its quick though, so I'm not sure how profitable per second it averages out to being.

The ooze pit is fairly easy, but on the long size. Nice reward from both the chest and the quest.

Bzar
2007-09-01, 09:00 PM
How'd you manage to beat good ol' Shiro and Lich?

Thervold
2007-09-01, 10:16 PM
Even with your wards missing, we still had enough healing to cover the damage while we captured the shrines. Luckily, although Shiro ran a bunch most of the time, he stuck his aggro on me and only me when he started spamming Impossible Odds (thus containing the damage). The only casualty we had (after the near wipe) was your SF hero.

hyperfreak497
2007-09-01, 11:33 PM
I just started playing GW yesterday (my brother let me have a character on his account). I don't really do PvP, although my character (named "Yes Indeedy") is PvP. I don't really know what I'm doing; I just kind of run around and hit things. I'm a level 3 (or 4? I don't remember...) Warrior/Necromancer.

Bzar
2007-09-02, 10:52 AM
Why am I not surprised? Probably something about not being runed.

And welcome to Guild Wars Hyperfreak! :smallsmile:

Thervold
2007-09-05, 10:53 AM
Well, I finished the GW:EN quests. I liked them much more than the previous campaigns, but the expansion was very short. If anyone needs assistance or advice on how to pass a quest, let me know!

Timarvay
2007-09-05, 01:40 PM
Heart of the Shiverpeaks.

Help, Please.

Thervold
2007-09-07, 11:23 AM
They fixed the bug that kept me from joining that one, so I can join you now if you still need help.

Kriel
2007-09-08, 09:48 PM
Dang it, I feel like an addict, now. Or maybe it's because it's my favorite game at the moment, but I have 10 characters, all Level 20. Mind you, that's probably because I started the game in August of 2005.

Kriel Drache (Tyrian Mesmer)
Janus Ravenwind (Tyrian Ranger)
Jorin Nightstar (Tyrian Monk)
Vigo Soulbane (Tyrian Necromancer)
Mathias et Sanctum (Tyrian Elementalist)
Varus Stonecleave (Tyrian Warrior)
Shorin Nightwind (Canthan Assassin)
Tarran Astralis (Canthan Ritualist)
Diam Obsidia (Elonian Paragon)
Venin Blacksand (Elonian Dervish)

What can I say? I have a lot of free time. If you're up for some adventuring, ping me in-game.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-09-09, 10:05 AM
Hi all, I just got this game from a friend who never really got into it, and, well, I'm amazed. My main character is a Death Necro/Fire Elem, so I can summon things and do AoE damage and get around the mana costs by having loads of points in Soul Reaping.

Can I PvP with a PvE character, or do I need a PvP-only character for that?

If the first is true, as a Prophecies player is there anywhere I can try PvP at low levels?

Timarvay
2007-09-09, 10:56 AM
You can PvP with a PvE character if you want to, but outside the arenas that are limited to PvE characters, I would not recomend it. If you want to try Low-Level PvP, check out the Ascalon arena.

Abardam
2007-09-10, 06:24 AM
Spent most of my under-level 15 time in the Shiverpeak arena. Ah, memories...

Ryshan Ynrith
2007-09-10, 06:54 AM
I suppose I'm a bit of an addict as well.

Ankiseth the Ready (Elonan Dervish)
Ashnod the Cruel (Elonan Mesmer)
Bayeshi Kakita (Canthan Assassin)
Eshiv the Unbroken (Canthan Ritualist)
Gabria Nightbane (Canthan Monk)
Galina Ivanova (Cathan Elementalist)
Shakti Trueshot (Canthan Ranger)
Sir Karsudan (Elonan Paragon)
Takara Darkhand (Canthan Necromancer)
Vaiora Ardevakos (Canthan Warrior and my first character)

If anyone here wants a hand with something or just would rather a human come along instead of henchies, send me a whisper. My favorite is my Warrior, but they're all level 20 and have at least a good build or two.

Thervold
2007-09-10, 10:04 AM
Jacob, at or below level 10, you can try PvP in the Ascalon Arena and at 15 or below, the Shiverpeaks Arena. After that, the only option is the standard arenas. You can take your PvE character there, but be mindful that the instant-PvP's there have max everything, so you may be at a disadvantage if you have sub-standard gear or attributes. I know that Bzar and I both are primarily PvE, but we'll dabble in PvP now and then.

Bzar
2007-09-10, 10:12 AM
Dabble in PvP? I tend to go hard PvP for a few weeks then go hard PvE for a few weeks... and so on. PvE stage at the moment, so life is good.

Ryshan: no Tyrian characters?

And seeing as everyone else is posting their list of characters, I might as well.

Bzar The Healer (Tyrian Monk)
Bzar The Great (Canthan Elementalist)
Bzar The Sharpshot (Canthan Ranger)
Bzar The Gearhead (Canthan Ritualist)
Queen Baltazar (Canthan Warrior)
Stabitty Death Il (IL is II; Elonian Dervish)
Cmdr Antilles (Elonian Paragon)
A Meser whose name I cannot remember, but he exists... somewhere.
And a PvP slot who usually goes by Bzar The Greater, but has gone by Zomg A Chocobo at times.

Also, I live on the east coast at GMT -5 (I think). Don't know about the rest of you, except for Tim and Thervold.

Ryshan Ynrith
2007-09-10, 11:18 AM
No Tyrian characters, sadly. I got into the game with Factions, and I grew addicted to its fast leveling rate. I do enjoy Tyria though, especially with Eye of the North.

East coast for me as well.

Foeofthelance
2007-09-10, 03:15 PM
Bzar, I'm also on NY time, so if I see you running around I'll say hi. Right now all I have is Valor Signus (Ascalonian/ {Tyr?}) Warrior/Ranger and his pet wolf Blutreizahn. Sadly I couldn't find that missing German letter, sort of looks like a deformed B, or it'd be the proper spelling for Bloodfang.

Timarvay
2007-09-10, 03:58 PM
I just had to try and walk someone through adding an access key to their account. I have no idea how you can not figure it out. Or how you can ask ingame without knowing, for that matter.

Logic
2007-09-10, 05:46 PM
Bzar, I'm also on NY time, so if I see you running around I'll say hi. Right now all I have is Valor Signus (Ascalonian/ {Tyr?}) Warrior/Ranger and his pet wolf Blutreizahn. Sadly I couldn't find that missing German letter, sort of looks like a deformed B, or it'd be the proper spelling for Bloodfang.

This letter "ß" is the "Esset" and is pronounced like a double "s." It is in no way similar to the letter "b."

Kriel
2007-09-10, 06:22 PM
This letter "ß" is the "Esset" and is pronounced like a double "s." It is in no way similar to the letter "b."

I think he means how the letter looks written on paper, not how it sounds.

Logic
2007-09-10, 06:49 PM
I think he means how the letter looks written on paper, not how it sounds.

But he is trying to spell a word that requires a "B". Not "ß."

Foeofthelance
2007-09-11, 02:08 PM
But he is trying to spell a word that requires a "B". Not "ß."

No, it required both. Blutreißzahn was how I was given the translation, though I might have misplaced the esset in the one above. And as can be seen, it essentially looks like a very fancily inscribed B. Yay, for English! It doesn;t just borrow words, it stalks other languages into dark alleys and mugs them.

Abardam
2007-09-11, 02:37 PM
And a PvP slot who usually goes by Bzar The Greater, but has gone by Zomg A Chocobo at times.Hey, I fought a Bzar once in RA. Earth ele, if I recall correctly.

Bzar
2007-09-11, 04:30 PM
Uhh... was it a E/D who was using OF as the elite? If so, then that was the day I was feeling very lazy and felt like surviving, rather than dying as an ele. It always seems like eles are the first ones to die... =(

Timarvay
2007-09-11, 05:38 PM
I'm working on adapting GW for a tabletop game. Could those of you who would be willing to let me see guildhalls in battle tell me what ones you could scrimmage me in? I would need a guest pass for your guild.

I have Imperial, all I need is a partner to scrimmage with.

Malic
2007-09-11, 07:55 PM
I got a good ranger build so I guess I could let you be a guest for my hall. I wanna test him out with a 1 on 1 fight. Tell me your guys name and when you'l be on and I'm in.

Timarvay
2007-09-11, 08:10 PM
Eladrel Longshaft, though I'll need to see the hall some during the fight. I'm generally on sometime after 2:30 PM Eastern Time, or most of the day on Weekends.

Thervold
2007-09-12, 10:59 AM
Since everyone else is posting their characters, I might as well follow suit:
Melek Thervold - Tyrian Warrior
Celestina Varbossa - Tyrian Ranger
Fa Mulan - Tyrian Monk
Stabbity Doom - Canthan Assassin
Aloric Dren - Canthan Ritualist
Muerte Con Pollo - Canthan Necromancer
Kah Bhume - Elonian Elementalist
Alessandra Bianachi - Elonian Paragon
Layla Seshafi - Elonian Dervish
Gwens Ferry Service - Elonian Mesmer (just used as a mule/ferry)
Wrath of Gwen - PvP slot

I'm involved with the Guild Wars Wiki (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User:Thervold), and I'm usually on sometime between 6-10 PST

Bzar
2007-09-13, 07:55 PM
Has anyone managed to beat the elite dungeon, Slaver's Exile, yet?

Lenlalron
2007-09-13, 10:22 PM
Lenlalron Karizen, Monk/Mesmer!

If you guys see me, I'd be up for stuff. I'm tired of all these immature people I run into. ;p

Logic
2007-09-13, 11:20 PM
Look up "Althed Griffon" if you would like to adventure with me.

Bzar
2007-09-15, 06:33 AM
Is anyone interested in doing something like a giantitp party night where we all get together? I notice a majority of us are located somewhere in the US. Something like a dungeon (if we all have GWEN as well; if not, something can be figured out), elite mission, or just running through a campaign with characters?

Is anyone interested in this?

Timarvay
2007-09-15, 11:22 AM
If I can make it, and if my computer can go that long without GW crashing.

Prustan
2007-09-15, 09:35 PM
Interesting, but I'm in New Zealand, and don't have Nightfall or GW:EN. If you can come up with something to include a NZer, then I'd give it a go.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-09-16, 10:07 AM
Hey, what is the most lethal PvP build out there? I'd like to make a good PvP character, so I need to find a good build.

Oh, and what is the most powerful poison attack in the game?

Maxymiuk
2007-09-16, 02:17 PM
Hey, what is the most lethal PvP build out there? I'd like to make a good PvP character, so I need to find a good build.

Any build is as "lethal" as you make it. In PvP everything, and I mean everything has a counter. If you're looking for the highest DPS, then it's probably assasins and elementalists, but as my mesmer - equipped solely with Core skills - has shown time and time again, it's fairly easy to make said assasin kill himself (Empathy for massive backlash from dual strikes and Clumsiness for breaking the attack chain), and equally easy to interrupt the elementalist spike, or Backfire him if he's a spammer.

While at the same time my setup leaves me more than a bit vulnerable when outnumbered, and I can't do squat about the R/N toucher build or ritualist spirit spammers.

So, once again, everything has a counter. How well you do is based on how good you are at either predicting who you're going to face in combat (easy with a little practice, since people are lazy and look up the same few "best" builds online), or how good you are at making a build that can cover the largest number of contingencies.

Oh, and what is the most powerful poison attack in the game?

Clarification on what you mean by "most powerful'? Poison is a condition that always inflicts the same amount of degen. It's usually stacked with other conditions to increase the amount of health degeneration (mmmm, Burning Arrow + Apply Poison).

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-09-16, 03:47 PM
Ahh, I thought there were varying degrees of poison- I got hit by something that took me to -9 degeneration.

I guess I should have been more specific- what lethal PvP builds are there for Prophecies-only that don't rely on someone else? I mean, something that won't rely on my opponent using a certain attack, or an ally providing a certain buff?

Timarvay
2007-09-16, 04:33 PM
What PvP type?

The only one you can't depend on your teammates having a certain skill available in is RA, unless you don't bother coordinating with your group in the others. I'm assuming you mean PvP character PvP, of course.

Bzar
2007-09-16, 09:19 PM
Again, almost anything you make is lethal and has a counter too it. Although, I can think of one build that is completely non-lethal but team-critical. AKA the team monk.

The teams nowadays rely heavily on spike damage, so the best way to go is probably some kind of air spike while carrying around Blinding Flash or something as a self-defense.

Obsidian Flame from earth is pretty good too, but causes massive exhaustion is not used wisely.

Abardam
2007-09-17, 08:45 AM
Ahh, I thought there were varying degrees of poison- I got hit by something that took me to -9 degeneration.

I guess I should have been more specific- what lethal PvP builds are there for Prophecies-only that don't rely on someone else? I mean, something that won't rely on my opponent using a certain attack, or an ally providing a certain buff?Try a standard warrior chain. Off the top of my head, Power Attack until you've got 8 adren then Executioner's Strike + Eviscerate + Protector's Strike. Or something. Bring Frenzy (and a cancel stance) and you're sold.

EDIT: Except against blinders, blockers, spiteful spirit/empathy/reckless haste/whatever'rs, invincimentalists, riposters...

Nyna
2007-09-17, 09:10 AM
Hmm, Guild Wars. Well, I stopped playing until GW:EN came out, and now I'm playing off and on between work and whatnot. Anywho, since people are listing their characters, I'll list mine...

Nyna Lifella (Tyrian Monk/Mesmer, my main)
Sheyra Relik (Canthan RAnger/Ritualist)
Miyami Rinil (Canthan Ritualist/Monk)
Kila Rinil (Elonian Paragon/Warrior)
Kohana Tennyo (Canthan Assassin/Mesmer)
Kirika Tennyo (Canthan Necromancer/Monk)
Mikorin Vaanar (Canthan Mesmer/Necromancer)
Tsumi Tenkei (Tyrian Elementalist/Mesmer, level 9)
Ryoto Nilharr (Elonian Warrior, only level 4 XD)
Cold Winter Chill (PvP character, class changes on a whim)

So, if anyone's interested in playing or talking or something in-game, just send me a whisper. I'm usually up for something if I'm on, soloing gets kind of boring.

Also, if anyone is having trouble with Blood Washes Blood or similiar quests, I recommend bringing an Minion Master. I solo pretty much everything, since all of my friends stopped playing, so my Necro Hero MM's and I pretty much walk through everything like nothing. On that mission quest thingie in particular, since there are so many fleshy corpses, I brought three monks (myself plus two henchies), and let my MM do the majority of the damage.

Thervold
2007-09-17, 11:25 AM
Hey Bzar, I finally beat Slavers' with only hench... although Firewight's zone caused me at least 100 deaths by itself. 60 DP death march! woo hoo! Duncan did the same to me, and I couldn't beat him the first time I fought him. The second time, I manage to get to him and beat him without a single team wipe.

As for PvP Prophecy builds, I had some luck with Mantra of Persistance, Conjure Phatasm, Migrane, Soothing Images + interrupts (Leech Signet, Power Drain). The hope is that with Migrane, you have enough time to interrupt an attempt to remove the degen or heal the damage. Although degen isn't high DPS, spamming it across all your foes helps with pressure.

Your old, standard axe warrior (mentioned by abradam) or air ele (as Bzar mentioned) has some decent DPS, but both have critical weaknesses as well. That's one of the biggest things you'll learn about PvP in Guild Wars. There is no "perfect" build. Everything has a counter, and you're just crossing your fingers that either you don't face it or your teammates can cover for your deficiencies when you do.

Bzar
2007-09-17, 03:29 PM
Mesmers with power block, interrupts, and (with bad luck) another mesmer with Migraine SUCK. A monk can't cast anything. =(

So who ya gonna give Deldrimor armor too Thervold? =P

Nyna
2007-09-17, 05:47 PM
PvP is the reason why I love Guild Wars so much. PvE is a lot of fun, and it's what I primarily play, but PvP in Guild Wars is great. It might be the Magic: The Gathering player in me, I don't know, but I just love coming up with funky builds and messing around with them in RA from time to time. And seeing those funky builds that other people use is always amusing.

Anyways, I used to Monk in RA, but I got sick of always being the main target, so I switched over to Resto Rit. I seem to be targeted a lot less that way, and as long as I have a spirit up, I can throw some nasty heals. And Ritualists have all sorts of item spells to help counter the Assassin spike that my Monk builds would have issues with, like Blind Was Mingson. Of course, I'm useless without a spirit up, and when teams figure that out, life gets rather difficult, but that's part of the game, and besides, having enemies burn DPS on my spirits as opposed to on my allies is a form of preventing damage, I suppose. >_>

Thervold
2007-09-18, 11:05 AM
It sounds like we've gravitated the same way, Nyna. Due to the giant bullseye that Mo/ places on you, I've been recently playing resto rit in RA as well. I tend to go with Weapon of Shadow instead of Mingson, as I can throw it on someone else if they are under pressure, but otherwise it sounds like we might have the same build. Preservation (thanks to its cheap cost and relatively fast recharge) combined with Spirit Light, Mend Body and Soul, and Ghostlight Mirror as well as taking Vengeful Weapon for a quick cast prot-like spell. Then I take either Life or Recuperation (I'm sad Rejuvination turned out so bad) and of course, Rez Sig. It does fairly well as long as I don't get dazed or have Backfire on me.

It's funny you mentioned M:TG. I remember when GW first came out, it was almost a direct correlation. Ele=red, Mesmer=blue, Monk=white, Necro=black, Ranger=green, Warrior=artifacts. RA is a lot like Magic, in the way you can make a build, throw it against others, and see how it does. Before cookie cutters builds dominated, it would be fun to make up weird stuff and see it work. My Vengence+Death Nova N/Mo was one of my favorites.

And Bzar, I gave the deldrimor remnant to Pyre. Gwen already has Brotherhood, otherwise I would have given it to her.

Timarvay
2007-09-18, 01:47 PM
Oddly enough, in my experiance, being a rit is more of a target than a monk, even though most of the ones I see/use are spike rits.

Bzar
2007-09-18, 04:32 PM
Vekk > Pyre. =D

Anyhow, I have found that I can usually survive many many many of the first damage spikes as a monk. I can almost tank it. Almost. SoR is awesome. Boosts AL to 100, gives regeneration. RoF is a killer quick heal. Guardian is good for blocking, and dismiss condition is a pretty powerful heal for a prot prayer skill. I can usually chain together 5-6 games. Then we die. =(

Nyna
2007-09-18, 10:39 PM
The problem a lot of prot monks have, I think, is that while they can prevent melee with blocking spells, elementalists rip right through their defenses, and mesmers can just throw a hex or two on them or interrupt a crucial spell, which generally ends the prot monks life rather rapidly. Enchantment strip can be rather painful, depending on your build (especially when considering that a lot of elites, such as SoR, are enchants), and a well-placed Power Block generally results in the death of the monk, if not the team. Heck, a Migraine can do the trick.

It's a touch frustrating, really. I like prot monks, but there are just too many counters out there to really make it a viable build in RA, as you're always the first target, and you're almost guaranteed to run into a counter before you hit a 5 streak, let alone a 10. My resto rit, on the other hand, hit a 48 streak on its first run. And I forgot my elite. >_>

Thervold, your build sounds a lot like mine. If I remember, I didn't bring another weapon spell as the Ashes made a good energy cover (I was having trouble with energy denial at the time), and I can cast them beforehand, so that when I'm low on energy/time, I don't have to make that decision between hindering my attacker(s) or throwing another heal. Mingson has a fairly long cooldown though, and isn't so useful for helping your team out.

Part of the fun of RA, though, is coming up with those weird builds and then dominating over all of the cookie cutters, or at least giving them a hard time and making those uncreative people behind the screen scratch their head in confusion. I remember watching my friend use a simple Drunken Blow/Desperation Blow/Balanced Stance combo with "On Your Knees!", a hammer, and some knockdown skills. People didn't quite understand how a warrior was dealing so much damage, it was amusing to watch, and it was just some random build we were joking about at lunch the day before. I doubt it's a unique build, but we didn't read about it anywhere. I don't think those builds are as enjoyable, though occasionally I'll mess around with a variant of one, just to see how it works.

Anyways, does anyone have any tips for making some plat? I always seem to be dirt poor, and I'm not really a big fan of farming or soloing areas over and over for gold. If that's what it takes, I'll do it, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows a more... enjoyable way to get some money.

Quincunx
2007-09-19, 05:20 AM
More to the point, what are the rules/algorithms/whatchamacallits behind loot? I'm a monk. When I solo, I tend to take the healer role and grab all the high-DPS henchmen--and if I don't at least tap the mobs for damage, I get nothing. If I go back to earlier zones and smite enemies myself, I don't have enough bag space for all my loot. When I pair up with my husband (fire ele), I get the lion's share of the drops despite being back in the healer's role.

Thervold
2007-09-19, 10:27 AM
Hmm, easy ways to make money with out farming?

Identify EVERYTHING before selling it. Even common drops will have an increase in value from id. Sometimes it's just 1g, but more often, you'll get 10-20g raises, quickly making up for the price of the kit and making an eventual profit. Likewise, salvage cyan drops that are "highly salvagable" (as the materials are usually worth more than the item).

If you have another method to unlock a skill (Balth faction/hero skill trainers), non-elite skill tomes are often purchasable from players for only 500g (although availability across classes varies.. Ranger and Warrior are easy to find, Monk and Ritualist are difficult). Since skills tend to be one of the only required expenses in the game, reducing their cost goes a long way financially.

Speaking of expenses, you don't always need expensive superior runes. Often, the major rune is substantially less, and very rarely does that -1 affect the skill sufficiently to justify the price. I even go with minor runes quite often, as you can find a number of them from drops. Just salvage and give to your heroes. Another expense that can easily drain money (as Bzar can confirm) are lockpicks. They are nice to have, but they are quite expensive, and using them on high-end chests, they don't last long. Besides, the majority of drops are difficult to sell now-a-days. I tend to vend everything that isn't easily sellable. Superb Charr Carvings and Destroyer Cores are a couple of the few things I keep, as they are easy to sell to players.

If you have multiple characters, running through the treasure chest/buried treasure/do not disturb piles in Elona can net quite a bit of money. Start with the highest level ones (in DoA) and work backward through Desolation and Vabbi. I usually ignore the Kournan and Istan ones, as they net much less gold.

Dungeon quests reward quite a bit of gold each. Take some time to explore them, and you'll find yourself slowly gathering quite a bit of money. They are quite fun too!

Around holidays, you can often make a good amount of money selling mundane items that can be traded in for holiday goods. Prizes, presents, candy canes, alcohol, etc. often sell fairly well during the event. Although I'm not sure if the newly introduced consumables will destroy that market (powerstone > candy canes).

Those are what I can think of right now. I don't farm, yet I tend to build up quite a bit of gold because I never buy anything.

Volug
2007-09-20, 05:57 PM
I just bought Factions today! WOOT FRUIT!

If you would like to play with me just PM me:smallwink:

The_Hunting_Enemy
2007-09-22, 06:32 AM
I'm a NZer and I play!

Doren Riverdale (Monk/Mesmer, Tyrian)*
Aria Souldrinker (Ritualist/Ranger, Canthan)
Kaleb of Redwood (Ranger/Monk, Tyrian)
Splitbark Lockjaw (Warrior/Monk, PvP)

*Doren has been my main as of late. Got him to LA recently.

Maxymiuk
2007-09-22, 08:21 AM
Damn those weekend events. Everyone's hopping around like mad, farming greens, and servers are starting to creak. Gets so laggy, a man can't even AB. :smallmad:

Ryshan Ynrith
2007-09-22, 10:51 PM
So how'd Slaver's Exile go for you, Bzar/Thervold?

Bzar
2007-09-23, 11:36 AM
If I remember correctly, Thervold managed to hero/hench the entire thing. Yesterday, we managed to take down one boss while doing a 60 DP march. It was fun.

Timarvay
2007-09-24, 04:33 PM
So, any of you planning on doing the Halloween art event?

If I get the time, I might try to do a mesmer monument armor set.

Foeofthelance
2007-09-24, 04:48 PM
Hmmm. Can you use Factions characters in Tyria without going through the missions? I.E. can you start as a ritualist in Ascalon?

Timarvay
2007-09-24, 05:06 PM
Nope. Have to make chapter specific characters in their chapter, then get to the point where you can travel to another one.

Thervold
2007-09-25, 10:29 AM
However, once you reach Kaineng, you can go to LA and run (or get a run) back to Ascalon. Just you won't have the primary quests and the early missions won't award xp.

And I'm a horrible artist. Looking at the past winners, I don't stand a chance.

Bzar
2007-09-28, 05:49 AM
Oh dear. It would appear the new update has turned all of the heavy RA'ers into a frenzy of fury. :smalleek:

Oh well. Serves them right. I like it. :smalltongue:

Timarvay
2007-09-28, 06:02 AM
What update is this?

Thervold
2007-09-28, 10:14 AM
They finally addressed the issue with leavers and leechers. Now, if you leave before the end of the match or if enough of your team members report you for leeching, you gain 'dishonor' points. Rack up ten of said points and you are prevented from entering PvP until the effect wears off. They also nerfed the annoying runners in RA by imposing a time limit with the team with the least amount of DP being the victors. If like me and Bzar, you stick it out regardless of team, this update has no ill effects. But those who liked to abuse the system are now being targeted and they are upset about it.

Bzar
2007-09-28, 02:17 PM
For Tim:

The update notes can be found here (http://www.guildwars.com/support/gameupdates/).

I know you don't PvP much, but for any of the PvPers out there, this is a huge change if you quit a lot.

Timarvay
2007-09-28, 02:42 PM
I PvP quite a lot, actually. More than I PvE. Although I tend to stick the the factions ones, I only dabble in RA.

Bzar
2007-10-02, 02:14 PM
Gaaaaahhhhhh..... I don't like stave-wielding assassins. They are quite hard to outheal.

Foeofthelance
2007-10-03, 05:20 PM
So I picked up GWEN, and am now splitting my time in PvE between the northlands hunting and brawling, and the desert area trying to find the bloody Ascend missions to complete.

The good news? Heroes+Pets+Bows=much lower chance of death. Surprisingly few things make it past the wolf, twin lynxes, and polar bear to get to the archers. Especially when they have to deal with a monk, elementalist, and mesmer if they do.

Out of curiosity, what are the favored Hench/Hero parties for the PvE players on the forum?

Timarvay
2007-10-03, 06:38 PM
Dunkoro, Sousuke, Morghan for heroes. Almost never change from that group. Pre-Morghan, it was Margrid, before her, it was whatever I had.

Bzar
2007-10-03, 06:44 PM
Well, I play a monk so here's what I do:
Me.

Two hench monks, or one hench monk and 1 resto rit. (Hench monk and hero, hench monk and hero resto rit).

A necro HERO: either MM or Wells (sometimes I prefer wells because of Well of Darkness).

Mesmer HERO: Using Powerblock as the elite, Gwen makes an excellent caster shutdown and highly valuable during boss fights as me and Thervold found out doing that one dungeon what's-it-called. The uberly long one with the reincarnating boss you could only harm in spirit form. I had Gwen shut the boss down while thervold killed minions.

The two ele henchies.

Henchie of choice, depending on the situation. That should add up to eight. Eve usually does the job here because of BR. It's all caster, but with the wells and wards you should be quite safe. =D

Foeofthelance
2007-10-03, 06:58 PM
I admit as far as progressing in GWEN goes, I've basically just been farming for kills and gold, and haven't really done much more then secure Nora as a hero. I'm trying to work up enough gold to staff a 4 man guild, buy new armor, and Ascend at the same time. So Ive basically been doing the brawling dungeon. Managed to do it twice so far, don't know if I can do it again. Still, netted a fair amount of gold that way, so who knows?

For Heroes I've been using Ogden, the asura, and Gwen, split them all to ranger, and gave them bows and pets. Now that Gwen's polar bear is finaly in the double digits, they actually make for a pretty long lasting team.

Bzar
2007-10-03, 08:21 PM
Oh yeah, for ascension: it's usually good enough to just pay for runs to the three desert missions (the fourth is Augury Rock, the fifth is Dragon's Lair after defeating the Doppel, sorry if this is a spoiler). While they're not THAT hard to get to, it certainly takes a long while to get there through combat. A long long while. I tried, took forever.

Also, you're not using Ogden as a heal/prot monk? The customizable monk builds are a lot better than the preset ones. Those are pretty bad. =P

Foeofthelance
2007-10-03, 08:42 PM
Actually, I am using Ogden for healing. The way I have it set up is Ogden is Monk/Ranger, the Vekk is Ele/Ranger and Gwen is Mesmer/Ranger. The only ranger skills Ogden and Gwen are carrying though is Charm Animal. Vekk has Charm and Raise Animal, as well as Winnow and Spirit of Extinction. I'm thinking of picking up distracting shot for Gwen and Ogden, but other then that I let them stick primarily to their main classes. Each uses a bow, and so far playing artillery has worked on everything but large groups of Hydras, only because they spam Fireball and Meteor at the group, and I don't use henchies in the desert.

The only other drawback is I've only really been playing since June or July, somewhere thereabouts, and I've only got a War/Ranger in any decent shape to share unlocked skills with them. I figure as I work on a few secondaries this will improve, but until then, :P

Thervold
2007-10-04, 11:05 AM
For normal travelling, I tend to take a fire ele with Savannah Heat and a bunch of low cost AoE fire skills (and leech sig/power drain), an MM with melee minions, and a spirit bombing ritualist. My hench then consists of the two monks, Eve for Blood Ritual, and either the rit (in Cantha), Zho (in EotN), Sologon (in Elona), or Aidan (in Prophecies). This standard group seems to do fairly well in most places. However, since many dungeons now have spirit and minion hate, I've begun switching it up a bit for those.

Bzar
2007-10-06, 01:27 PM
We did it! Thervold and I heroed Duncan! :smallbiggrin:

Stupid Livia though... For some reason, kept insisting on running up there into all of the spirits. Beat him eventually though. Another Deldrimor Armor Remnant for the hall!

Timarvay
2007-10-06, 05:25 PM
Bravo. I might have to bother finishing GW:EN sometime so I can join you.

---The guy who took most of a year to bother finishing Nightfall.

Bzar
2007-10-08, 05:54 PM
This was being discussed in my alliance/extended alliance's forums, I figured you guys might wanna discuss it too.

What does "rank" really mean in HA? As in, having a requirement: r3+ or r6+. I mean, doing that really limits the amount of people you can have in your party and makes forming a group or getting into one very difficult. Not only that, it discourages anybody who has the potential to be a good player from even making an attempt.

Some (or most) of the PvPers need to lighten up. Seriously.

Timarvay
2007-10-08, 07:03 PM
Its useless, really.

I've only gotten farther than the second map once, and never had more than two wins. Mind you, I nearly took the halls once, from mere luck.

Really, fame is a measure of how many times you tried. You are bound to get high ranks from luck eventually unless you are really bad.

And yes, people take PvP too seriously. They do need to lighten up.

Thervold
2007-10-09, 12:48 PM
I stay out of HA because of the elitism when forming groups. Having only r1, I have a hard time finding a group. Sure, if I kept at it, I would build my way up to r3 painstakingly one or three points at a time, but I'd much rather jump into RA where I don't have to wait an hour to find a group and stand a decent chance of success.

Timarvay
2007-10-09, 01:45 PM
We could probably group together and have a blast without any planning, sometime. HA allows heroes, and I think we could muster some between us.

Bzar
2007-10-09, 05:22 PM
Two heroes Max. Also, one of my groups managed to get in there with an ALL monk party. It was awesome, we even got some fame out of it.

Timarvay
2007-10-09, 07:05 PM
As in no more than two heroes within the whole party, or just per person?

Bzar
2007-10-09, 09:14 PM
Two heroes/henchmen a party. Max. Makes life much more difficult now because you need at least 6 real people to get a group going.

Timarvay
2007-10-10, 05:41 AM
Awww man. That means we probably can't do a GITP run.

Though that would be fun, if we came with any character we wanted without warning eachother and saw how far we could go.

Penguinizer
2007-10-10, 08:00 AM
Well, I've un-installed, but I could re-install. I mainly play rangers or melee builds. Also, I think I actually had someone copy my build once '-.-

Timarvay
2007-10-10, 01:38 PM
Paragon or ritualist mostly, for me.

Bzar
2007-10-11, 07:21 PM
Hmm.... paragons are becoming very useful as secondary healers (mainly infuse health paragons) and their Holy Spear is dead useful against those spiritways. I'd get a group going, but we'd have to PUG a lot of people...

Abardam
2007-10-12, 01:54 AM
If you're HA'ing you guys need a gimmick build. I recommend Hamstorm.

But seriously, I'd join (or, you know, ask to join) if I didn't have zero HA experience.

Timarvay
2007-10-12, 05:38 AM
Rits and paragons are all you really need, I think. Maybe mesmers or rangers for interupts and stuff, but rits and paragons can cover healing and damage between them easily.

Bzar
2007-10-12, 05:17 PM
It's here!!!! Hard Mode Eye of the North! /roar

Penguinizer
2007-10-13, 12:23 AM
Bleh, I kinda wish I had Eye of the North. I only have the first three expansions. Anyways, re-installing :)

Ranis
2007-10-13, 06:57 AM
I'm seriously considering coming back to the GW scene, being a long-time PvP veteran from the first two expansions. I'm going to be picking up the third expansion and looking for a guild that does decent, organized PvE to ease my way back into the game, preferrably using Ventrilo. If anyone here on GITP has a guild like that, if you could PM me or let me know otherwise that would be superb.

Bzar
2007-10-13, 09:46 AM
Our alliance does that, though it's not TOO organized; Groups usually happen on the spot. However, if you post on the forums requesting help or starting a weekly group for Hard Mode missions/vanquishing among other thing, you will usually get a response back and people WILL be interested.

my guild/alliance is the GEAR Trick and we do have vent available for use for the alliance and extended alliance. Here's a link to the site: www.thehallofheroes.net

Penguinizer
2007-10-13, 10:31 AM
I'm in a guild that does the occasional pvp with alliance guys. I'm pretty sure we own some captured Luxon town :)

Bzar
2007-10-13, 09:46 PM
maxing out all of the monuments in the Hall of Monuments is going to be quite expensive:

5 sets of elite armor (15k, 10k)
11 Destroyer weapons (2,750 of Granite and Glittering Dust 100 Onyx Gemstones (around 10k each) 100 Diamonds (cheap lil' guys, but still expensive) and 55k.)
20 Minipets.
I forget the number of upgraded armor heroes you needed, I think it's about 7 or so.

Yep... I've got 1 set of 15k, no destroyer weapons, 2 minipets, though I DO have the entire hero shrine. :D

Ooh boy this'll be fun. Yep.... Great fun.

Penguinizer
2007-10-14, 01:26 AM
Wait, you need all of those to do the Hall of Monuments thing. Besides, hero armor is easy. I already got 3-4 in Ancient.

Do Want EotN T.T

Might get into hording for 15k armor.

Hmm...

2 sets in Factions. 2 in NF. 1 FoW

Ranis
2007-10-14, 05:59 AM
maxing out all of the monuments in the Hall of Monuments is going to be quite expensive:

5 sets of elite armor (15k, 10k)
11 Destroyer weapons (2,750 of Granite and Glittering Dust 100 Onyx Gemstones (around 10k each) 100 Diamonds (cheap lil' guys, but still expensive) and 55k.)
20 Minipets.
I forget the number of upgraded armor heroes you needed, I think it's about 7 or so.

Yep... I've got 1 set of 15k, no destroyer weapons, 2 minipets, though I DO have the entire hero shrine. :D

Ooh boy this'll be fun. Yep.... Great fun.

What does maxing out all of the monuments in the Hall of Monuments do?

Bzar
2007-10-14, 10:36 AM
You get bonuses in the upcoming GW2. The hall also allows you to keep character names.

For more information here's (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hall_of_monuments) a link to the wiki.

Ranis
2007-10-14, 09:11 PM
Holy crappins, do I need to get to work. :O

Bzar
2007-10-15, 06:15 AM
Well, let's see... 1 set of 15k armor. Check. Materials for the second one? Half-check (missing around 15 bolts of Damask, lousy things). Money for second one? Around 40k Short + the cost of all that darn Damask.

This'll be a long year.

Ranis
2007-10-15, 07:30 AM
Well, this goes against my whole philosophy of "one elite armor per character." Sigh. I need a way to make a LOT of money fast.

Penguinizer
2007-10-15, 08:03 AM
Bleh, 35k and mats for one set. I mainly do pvp though. I mess around with builds in AB and RA or help guildies.

Thervold
2007-10-15, 10:51 AM
It's 5 "prestigious" armor sets, not 7. So that should help a bit. And also you need five titles/accomplishments displayed, but that's not very difficult. Many can be displayed without being maxed.

And I'm guessing the reward will be much like preorder weapons. Nice to have for PvEers, but not all that useful for PvP. This would make sense seeing as a PvP focused player would not likely have the funds to buy everything necessary. Just a guess though...

Penguinizer
2007-10-15, 10:52 AM
I already got 2 on my current. Canthan exploration is very easy to get. so that makes 3. 2 more, there are lots of easy ones to get for that.

Bzar
2007-10-18, 06:16 AM
Eh, exploration is a big grind. I don't like grinds. =P

Anyhow, did anyone else get the free minipet? They were only giving away 40,000, I dunno if they've run out yet. I got one. :smallbiggrin:

Thervold
2007-10-18, 12:41 PM
Considering I sent you the link, of course I have mine. And coupled with a few cheap minis I bought, I'm now at 20/20 minis in my Hall! Just two more to go... although the material cost to complete Valor is very intimidating. I ran Sepulchre three times last night without a single onyx or diamond drop :(

And for those of you who don't have a clue what Bzar is talking about, there is an online magazine giving away free mini Ceratadons. the offer is in the following magazine: http://www.gamerzines.com/PDF/MMOZine_1.pdf. If you have trouble getting the form to show up, there is a discussion on the wiki about it here: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Talk:Miniature_Ceratadon

serpent615
2007-10-18, 04:11 PM
Lost track of how many max characters i went thu....currently 7 and 1 spot saved for PvP

now, let's see...

3 destroyer weps, 3 sets of Vabbian(2 dyed black), 5 15k sets dyed black, 3 other 15k sets...

and still trying to find uses for cash...lol

lately tho, i haven't had much to do in GW...o well

Bzar
2007-10-18, 05:31 PM
Geez, where do you get your money from!?

I've been doing tombs with a friend and we get barely anything from those runs. -sigh-

Volug
2007-10-18, 05:33 PM
We should make an OotS guild!:smallbiggrin:

I call leader if we acually decide to make one!

Timarvay
2007-10-18, 05:52 PM
That is the one time I would trust to my ideal guild organization:

Everyone is an officer/the leader.

That is my ideal guild organization, and a guild where that could work.

EDIT:I wager it would be luxon, seeing as I seem to be the only Kurzick here.

Volug
2007-10-18, 06:08 PM
That is the one time I would trust to my ideal guild organization:

Everyone is an officer/the leader.

That is my ideal guild organization, and a guild where that could work.

If everyone is going to be an officer, you will have to trust the other guys to work with you. Cause they can screw everything up if your not careful. I tried it once and didn't like it. As good as it sounds it won't work.... Unless you find a way to get everyone to cooperate.

And yes I'm a Luxon.:smallbiggrin:

Timarvay
2007-10-18, 06:27 PM
Thus why it could only work in a situation like this. I know none of us are jerks.

Volug
2007-10-18, 06:58 PM
Thus why it could only work in a situation like this. I know none of us are jerks.

Yep!:smallbiggrin:

Logic
2007-10-18, 11:11 PM

I am a Kurzick as well. By the way, what made everyone come to side with the faction they did? My guild leader claims the Kurzicks are more of a "good guy" team than the Luxons, though I honestly think it is because he likes their armor better.

Prustan
2007-10-19, 12:46 AM
Haven't really done too much myself, but my brother joined the Luxons before letting me use his account. I could change (I think), but the Luxons sound more like the 'good guys' then the Kurzicks.

Penguinizer
2007-10-19, 01:18 AM
I'm also a Kurzick player. Anyways. Anyone tried this build.

Ranger/Paragon.

Skills: Apply Poison, Rage As One, Barbed Spear, Flaming Spear, Self Heal, Defensive Stance, Charm Animal, Pet Heal.

Stats: 11 Spear Mastery, 10+3+1 Beast Mastery, 9+1 expertise, 5+2 Wilderness Survival. Works decently.

Abardam
2007-10-19, 02:55 AM
I'm a Kurzick!

@Penguinizer: Did you mean Rampage as One? Anyway, if you did mean that, maybe you could switch it for Never Rampage Alone (Sunspear skill), because: A) not elite, B) you're not getting much benefit from RaO's move speed increase, and C) longer duration (SS rank 1 Never Rampage Alone =16 BM RaO) means less energy spent.
No elite skill also means you can use Heal as One, which fulfills both your self-heal and your pet heal, which means you can get another skill (recommending a rez here).

Also you guys bonus mission pack news (http://www.guildwars.com/events/press/interviews/20071017-colinj.php)

Logic
2007-10-19, 11:45 PM
This is the skill bar I typically use, but I don't do PvP.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271/Yakostovian/GWskillbar.jpg

With 12 Axe, 12 Str, and 3 Beast Mastery

Ranis
2007-10-20, 08:07 AM
I recently finished the final boss of Nightfall, and I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with how well the story for Guild Wars 1 was written, in it's entirety. The hero system was [I]horribly/I] implemented to tell the story, but I must say that I guess when the masses didn't want the game to be played the way it was created, Arenanet just went and appeased them instead of trying to make it better. All they ever really would have needed to do was implement the LFG Party Search System, and the rest would have been absolutely fine.

But alas, My account is as old as the beta. I'm an old-timer and I'm allowed to spout off, I think.

@Logic: that's a decent bar. I like how you've taken the high road unlike every other warrior out there and not tried to be the damage sponge, and instead tried to be the damage dealer, which is what warriors do in the first place. Some PvE warrior advice is to apply a Deep Wound when an an enemy gets close to dying; it should kill them outright.

Nameless
2007-10-20, 08:10 AM
I love Nightfall... Haven't played it in ages tho...

Nice Btw :smallbiggrin:

Do you know when GWII is commeing out?

Volug
2007-10-20, 10:02 AM
Do you know when GWII is commeing out?

I think its called "Eye of the North".... Though I could be wrong.

Oh and someone PLEASE tell me what the new classes are in Eye of the North!!!

Bzar
2007-10-20, 10:15 AM
I should point out that Guild Wars: eye of the North is merely an expansion that uses the existing classes, although it does give a lot of new content and skills for PvE and PvP.

Guild Wars two is scheduled to hit beta in lat of '08. EotN is the bridge between GW1 and GW2.

Penguinizer
2007-10-20, 11:17 AM
I'm a Kurzick!

@Penguinizer: Did you mean Rampage as One? Anyway, if you did mean that, maybe you could switch it for Never Rampage Alone (Sunspear skill), because: A) not elite, B) you're not getting much benefit from RaO's move speed increase, and C) longer duration (SS rank 1 Never Rampage Alone =16 BM RaO) means less energy spent.
No elite skill also means you can use Heal as One, which fulfills both your self-heal and your pet heal, which means you can get another skill (recommending a rez here).

Also you guys bonus mission pack news (http://www.guildwars.com/events/press/interviews/20071017-colinj.php)

I use the movement speed to hunt down kiters. Also, didn't notice that sun-spear skill. Mainly an AB build.

Ranis
2007-10-20, 05:23 PM
Silly Kurzicks. Luxon pwn your faces. I pwommise.

Bzar
2007-10-20, 07:56 PM
Personally, I prefer the luxons because their homelands aren't as dark and dreary as the kurzicks. The kurzies remind me of goths and they creep me out.

Ranis
2007-10-20, 08:35 PM
Actually, I think the reason why they appeal to a lot of people is because they're goth-like.

Penguinizer
2007-10-21, 02:35 AM
The only reason I'm Kurzick is that their Elite mission is more fun :smallbiggrin:

Timarvay
2007-10-21, 05:39 PM
I don't really think Kurzicks are goths in the modern sense, although they are sort of based on the historic ones and other germanic tribes. Their land reminds me more of Rome after its decline, but with less fire. Besides, the Jade Sea is no fun to navigate in. It is, afterall, mostly open space, from what I have seen of it. The Forest, on the other hand, has much less space to move in, so there is, in my opinion, a larger amount of tactical movement.

Plus, the Kurzicks are man enough to admit their makeup is just makeup. The Luxons seem to think calling it war paint makes it macho.

Bzar
2007-10-22, 05:49 AM
I guess you could say that. I mean, the real reason for picking Luxon for us was the armor. =P

Also, I prefer wide open areas to closed ones.

WrstDmEvr
2007-10-23, 02:54 PM
I'm a pvp player mostly, i use burning arrow build. I got lots of holiday items i never used also, so i can make cash that way :smallsmile:

Penguinizer
2007-10-23, 11:25 PM
Lessee. I have a full peppermint set. I also have 2 wintergreen weapons. I also have about 18 yuletide tonics.

Maxymiuk
2007-10-23, 11:55 PM
I'm with the Luxons more by accident than design. Since I mostly deal with Factions material through AB, this makes absolutely no difference to me, since the "home team advantage" maps are virtually identical in layout, save for textures used.

Although it does seem to me that the Kurzick players are the more *ahem* vocal ones during a game.

Especially when they're losing. :smallamused:

Timarvay
2007-10-24, 05:31 AM
Most Kurzicks are poor sports, I will admit to that. But those of us who are not tend to be nicer than the Luxons.

Likewise, most of the Luxons I have met, barring the people here, have been idiots in the purest sense of the word.

Also, woo for me, I just got my Primeval armor a couple of days ago!

Maxymiuk
2007-10-24, 05:36 AM
Likewise, most of the Luxons I have met, barring the people here, have been idiots in the purest sense of the word.

You'll get no argument from me. Seems like each time we get to Ancestral Lands someone hands the entire team the idiot ball.

Bzar
2007-10-24, 06:04 AM
Also, woo for me, I just got my Primeval armor a couple of days ago!

So ah... how about that 4k I lent you? :smalltongue:

I now have 2 sets of 15k armor: Asuran, dyed white, and Sunspear Elite, dyed teal. Looks pretty good on my monk. I'm thinking about... Hmm... 15k Luxon next.

Ranis
2007-10-24, 06:18 AM
Where do you find the space to store 5 complete armor sets for each character, seriously?

I'll probably end up just getting a whole set, then salvaging the materials out of it to help pay for the next one. Sigh.

Timarvay
2007-10-24, 07:28 AM
My money has three digits right now. Gimme a month or three, Bzar.

Bzar
2007-10-24, 09:20 AM
Where do you find the space to store 5 complete armor sets for each character, seriously?

I'll probably end up just getting a whole set, then salvaging the materials out of it to help pay for the next one. Sigh.

I have a whole storage box slot just for materials. Also, I don't think you get all your materials out of armor if you salvage it, if any (I've tried).

Number of maxed monuments: 1. Number of monuments close: 2. Number of monuments nowhere near completion: too many. -sigh-

Penguinizer
2007-10-24, 09:29 AM
Actually, with Factions, you can get an extra slot, un-limited, that holds material s. I don't have any though...

Thervold
2007-10-24, 11:05 AM
The materials slots are not actually unlimited. They can only hold 250 of each material. While that sounds like a lot, when you need 400 to complete a set of 15k, you can still easily find yourself short.

And although Bzar is right in that you don't get back all the material (and none of the money) by salvaging armor, I still do that to make space. I'm up to 4/5 armor sets, but I only wear one of them and salvaged the rest. Although I'm sad to have learned that the armors in the HoM don't retain the dye you put on them. I actually used some of my black dye on one set just to see it turn to my bronze color I use on my normal armor next time I entered. Four black dye down the drain :(

Bzar
2007-10-24, 01:56 PM
Actually, the colors cycle based on the color of your chest piece when you enter the hall of heroes. Therefore, if your armor is White when you enter, your Monument armor will be white and so on.

Bzar
2007-10-26, 07:54 AM
Halloween is here! Yay! More head pieces... for cluttering up my storage. I only have one anyway. XD

The Mad King shall come again!

Quincunx
2007-10-26, 08:05 AM
Actually, with Factions, you can get an extra slot, un-limited, that holds material s. I don't have any though...

I don't think it's "with Factions"; I have Prophecies and was able to purchase that slot. Maybe it came free with Factions? . . .

Thervold
2007-10-26, 10:35 AM
More head pieces... for cluttering up my storage.

Just to let you know, you don't need to keep hats in your storage. In Lion's Arch, Shing Jea, and Kamadan there are festival hat makers. Talk to one while having a hat in your inventory and let them look at it. From that point on, you can recreate that hat on any character of your account for 10g.

Bzar
2007-10-29, 06:03 PM
Costume brawl is fun, even though the monk builds suck. Good thing the skillz title track is account-wide. =)

Timarvay
2007-10-29, 06:07 PM
The paragon build is pretty good, though.

Bzar
2007-10-30, 02:42 PM
I'd try the paragon build if my paragon wasn't my survivor character. =P

Halloween tomorrow!!! More hats! What are they anyway..

Ranis
2007-10-30, 02:43 PM
I'd try the paragon build if my paragon wasn't my survivor character. =P

Halloween tomorrow!!! More hats! What are they anyway..

....then make a pvp Paragon?

Bzar
2007-10-30, 06:39 PM
I thought we had to be in Kamadan or LA in order to get there? Or did I miss something again?

Any word on what this year's hat is?

Timarvay
2007-10-30, 07:15 PM
So the website says, but you can get there from the Temple as well.

Bzar
2007-10-31, 05:37 AM
Yay hats! This year's hats are: Mummy Mask from Kamadan and a scarcrow one from Lions Arch. I still like the pumpkin head better though. =P

Volug
2007-11-03, 10:37 AM
Loved that Halloween event:smallbiggrin:

Anyway I just bought Nightfall so now I have all 3! (Besides EotN)

Also what about that OotS guild? Everyone can be officers since we can trust each other. Though.... Only people from these forums can get in it or certain people.
We'll work on it. I want one because it would be cool, and acually provide me with a guild that doesn't rip me off:smallannoyed:

Timarvay
2007-11-03, 10:41 AM
I've been in a guild of one to stop people from bugging me about joining their guild, but I think the others are happy in the guilds they are in.

Masato, you are welcome in my guild if you want a two man, counting us, guild.

Volug
2007-11-03, 10:45 AM
I've been in a guild of one to stop people from bugging me about joining their guild, but I think the others are happy in the guilds they are in.

Masato, you are welcome in my guild if you want a two man, counting us, guild.

Two man?? heheheheh. We could make it the unofficial one:smalltongue:
I'm gussing you don't have a guild hall/cape? And what faction are you?

Bzar
2007-11-03, 12:08 PM
While I can't leave and join you guys, you are certainly welcome to come join GEAR. We've been struggling for the past few weeks, but we're starting to pull ourselves together( I'm an officer now). So.... yeah. Lemme know if you want more info.

EDIT: And yes, I have been place in charge of recruiting.

Volug
2007-11-03, 12:11 PM
I just quit mine when I heard the leader left after stealing some money. ...of course anyone would do the same.

I'm still up for an OotS guild:smallbiggrin:
Or any guild (Luxon though) in fact.

One of my guys names is Masato Hyuga
.... Yeah you saw that one coming

Timarvay
2007-11-03, 12:15 PM
Quite the contrary. I have a cape and a guildhall. Imperial Island, to be more precise. I haven't bothered buying extras for the hall, though. I'm Kurzick, of course.

Volug
2007-11-03, 12:20 PM
Quite the contrary. I have a cape and a guildhall. Imperial Island, to be more precise. I haven't bothered buying extras for the hall, though. I'm Kurzick, of course.

KURZICK!!! nah just kiding.
I don't really care.... But I have over 80,000 Luxon faction.... I donated that of course, but I have 7,000 on me right now.

Bzar
2007-11-07, 07:49 PM
Well, GEAR is always welcoming new members over at www.thehallofheroes.net or shoot me a PM in game/on forums if you want an invite. We're trying to get more people who do PvP like AB and such, but PvErs are always welcome.

Volug
2007-11-07, 07:52 PM
Well, GEAR is always welcoming new members over at www.thehallofheroes.net or shoot me a PM in game/on forums if you want an invite. We're trying to get more people who do PvP like AB and such, but PvErs are always welcome.

I'm on right now.
I just got Nightfall last week.

My guy's name is Masato The Reaper if you want to talk on there:smallbiggrin:

Abardam
2007-11-08, 07:19 AM
Let me guess are you a Dervish huh

(:smallwink:)

I think having "grim" or "reaper" or whatever in the name is a prerequisite for Dervishes now.

Penguinizer
2007-11-08, 08:51 AM
My dervish is called Penguin of Might :P

Volug
2007-11-08, 10:04 AM
Yeah thats my Derv:smalltongue:

I made a Red Mage Ele the other day in factions. I think I should make a warrior... I haven't played one yet :biggrin:

Abardam
2007-11-09, 08:14 AM
Do it.

Warriors rock. Your face.

Off.

And I, personally, recommend axe, of course.

Bzar
2007-11-10, 08:10 AM
Mmmmm axes. High critical hit damage... -drool-

Abardam
2007-12-01, 12:12 PM
Hey so the BMP rocks you guys. I especially enjoyed Turai's story, what with all the stomping all over the place and the epic ending cinematic.

Reptilius
2007-12-01, 12:24 PM
I just noticed this thread. I usually play a ~6 Mes/Necro whose name escapes me, but I only have the original game. Which of the expansions do you recommend?

Timarvay
2007-12-01, 03:16 PM
If you like PvP, I would say factions.

If you like PvE I would say Nightfall.

Look at the professions too, of course.

Also, Turai's story does indeed rock on the cutscenes, but I prefer Saul and Togo.

Abardam
2007-12-02, 07:43 AM
Because of the super-SoJ/nova PBAoE they get? Or Spectral Agony?
@Reptilius: Factions gets you fun 12v12 battles (and Fort Aspenwood of course) but Nightfall gets you Heroes (like henchmen, but you get to pick their skills and stuff). I don't particularly like equipping heroes, though.

Enlong
2007-12-02, 09:23 PM
OK, I just saw the strangest commercial. I dunno what exactly what it was advertising, but it had some characters standing around a campfire, complaining about dumb stuff they got for Christmas, and then some tiny creature started running and dancing around the campfire, singing about some awesome stuff he got. It wasn't until the small creature appeared that I realized that it was using Guild Wars characters. The two complainers were a Dwarf and Charr, and the happy thing was an Asura. Has anyone seen this?

Timarvay
2007-12-03, 06:26 AM
Yeah, it gave me another reason to want to slaughter Vekk. Its linked to on their website.

Abardam, I just like the stealth/siege style of Saul while still have offensive power.

Abardam
2007-12-08, 09:12 PM
Ugh. I just watched it.

Anyway, what does everyone think of Journey to the North? (And them Zaishen quests too I suppose)
Funny thing: it actually reduced my mesmer's Domination (from 10 to 9) at least until I started wielding a "proper" (i.e. a Domination) staff.

serpent615
2007-12-08, 10:32 PM
I think it's a way to stop people from being pissed about not being high enough to enter the EXPANTION pack, the one designed for lvl 20 play...

Just go lvl your dang character...

Zweanslord
2007-12-09, 04:41 AM
Hello all, I have been playing guild wars and have been on these forums for a decent while now but have not posted on this thread as of yet. I have been meaning to do it, but the thread sunk away a bit, but when I saw it up with the newly updated posts today, I thought, hey let's post.

Now, with that out of the way, I usually play my level 20 monk, Esther Amura. I have all the campaigns and the expansion.

I saw the commercial only because I read about it this way and while I think the commercial in itself is not so bad, the voice of Vekk really does stretch out it's nails and sinks them deep into your back to strike you with utter annoyance and the feeling to punch Vekk in the face. At least, in my opinion.

The journey to the north seems a bit weird to me.. since everything in EotN is tailored for level 20, that means that anybody going there is going to rack up levels faster anyway. Besides, in both Factions and Nightfall, levelling is fast. Now, for those only having Prophecies, I think journey to the north is okay, considering the much slower leveling rate there.
But honestly, I see it more as a promotion than anything else. A free trial, plus a way for low leveled to enjoy the content in the trial too? That just means that both new and old players will want to buy the game more. And they are giving a skewed first impression with the 10-day EotN buffs: double xp for primary quests, more lockpicks drops and rare loot in chests. All in all, a good promotion for christmas it seems.

I bought EotN in the Bonus Mission Pack period and yesterday I tried out Saul's story, mainly because the weapon at the end is cooler than the others. But I thought it was really nice to do it, gave a good combination of things. And the story was nice, gave me the shivers at the last cutscene. Really ought to try out the others soon too.

Crispy Dave
2007-12-09, 01:23 PM
heres my names

Crispy Dave
Rage angry
Bam your ghay
egg muffin
billy the crab
ranger of crispy

Bzar
2007-12-09, 07:07 PM
Stop making me jealous! I don't have the BMP. =( Heard good things though.

Also, the commercial is for Gamestop, if you haven't seen it already. And Vekk is awesome Tim. =P

Mr. Mud
2007-12-09, 07:16 PM
I'm thinking of buying Guild Wars this holidays... on the off chance I do, what server/realm does everyone paly on, and is there a guild or something of that sort of OOTS? :smallamused:

Timarvay
2007-12-09, 07:50 PM
No realms or anything, Mrmud. No OOTS guild that I am aware of, although several of us are in GEAR.

Bzar, I still say Vekk should be killed, brought back to life, murdered, brought back to life, immolated, brought back to life (Gotta love those monks), and then chained to a mountain, gagged, thrown in the ocean, and be buried in the desolation after he drowns. The other Asura should just be shot, of course. Then skinned to give Livia some clothes.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-09, 08:38 PM
Ahh, so everyone is on one realm/server?

:smallredface: Do I sound stupid or what?

Crispy Dave
2007-12-09, 08:47 PM
ya when you enter towns theres different districts you can enter

WrstDmEvr
2007-12-09, 08:49 PM
Ahh, so everyone is on one realm/server?

:smallredface: Do I sound stupid or what?

Not quite like that. There are two types of server, international and home. Then there are different servers for each town, and there can be a lot of servers... I counted something like 200 on Halloween.

Crispy Dave
2007-12-09, 10:08 PM
I'm thinking of buying Guild Wars this holidays... on the off chance I do, what server/realm does everyone paly on, and is there a guild or something of that sort of OOTS? :smallamused:
i could make a oots guild but id need alot of help from other people

Thervold
2007-12-11, 10:26 AM
Mr mud, the way the servers work in Guild Wars is each player chooses a home region like America, Europe, East Asia, etc. Be default, you'll only see other players from your region when in towns. However, you have the option to go to the international districts which may be used by anyone over the world.

Districts are simply the way Guild Wars manages to lower the overhead of network connections. When a certain number of players occupies a town, it will create a new copy of itself called a district. You can only see other people in your own district, but you can still use menus to see LFG and WTB/WTS requests. You can also change districts and specify which you want to go to (unless the desired district is at its max capacity) so you'll always be able to meet up with others in that town.

So in short, everyone is linked on the same server, so if you learn someone else plays GW, you can be guaranteed that you can meet them in game. It is a pleasant difference from most MMO's where you learn someone you know plays, it's a small chance they'll be on the same server.

Bzar
2007-12-11, 08:06 PM
And with Wintersday coming up, we'll probably see a few hundred districts for LA and Kamadan again. Wonder what this years hat it... -ponder-

Turkey_vulture
2007-12-19, 12:31 AM
I dont know if anyone else has noticed, but Vekk sounds exactly like Brain from Pinky and the Brain
Just a thought

Timarvay
2007-12-19, 06:58 AM
Same voice actor.

Eita
2008-01-03, 12:22 AM
Just started playing Guild Wars. I play a Warrior. What should I cross-class?

Culwch
2008-01-03, 03:34 AM
Whatever you like - there's no "best" combination. Not that it matters, though, because once you complete about 50% of the game, you'll be able to change your secondary profession at will. Google for "Guild Wars builds" to find some popular and effective ones.

Having said that, avoid W/Mo, I think they're still stigmatized as Leroy Jenkinses of GW. Doesn't matter if you play alone, with heroes and henchmen (NPCs) or with guild mates.

Eita
2008-01-03, 06:45 AM

Frick.

Sequinox
2008-01-26, 09:13 AM
Love this game.

Though I haven't played for a month because of my really choppy connection to the internet.

serpent615
2008-01-26, 12:30 PM
Whatever you like - there's no "best" combination. Not that it matters, though, because once you complete about 50% of the game, you'll be able to change your secondary profession at will. Google for "Guild Wars builds" to find some popular and effective ones.

Having said that, avoid W/Mo, I think they're still stigmatized as Leroy Jenkinses of GW. Doesn't matter if you play alone, with heroes and henchmen (NPCs) or with guild mates.

i usualy run a W/Mo and personaly, i find that the only cross class skill i use(or even need that much) is res...wich almost any character should have on them.

Abardam
2008-01-26, 07:23 PM
Mending touch is also good for W/Mos in RA, where you aren't assured of a monk (for condition removal). Even with 0 ranks in it

Carpetkiller
2008-01-28, 05:35 PM

I don't know what you're talking about. I have a W/Mo and its so much better then all of my other characters.

Runar
2008-02-05, 10:42 PM
Hi all. I started playing Winter 2005 (guess what I got for christmas that year:smallbiggrin: ), and have all the campaigns. If you wish to reach me, I usually play on my Elementalist, Fenuak Jargenbargen (weird name, I know), though I don't play very much because of my bad internet.

Leper_Kahn
2008-02-06, 12:31 AM
Uh... I have guild wars. I haven't played in years. I think I have a level 16 something.

sheepofoblivion
2008-02-23, 06:33 PM
I have guild wars... I think I have 2 characters Athren 'Liah, and Aberahem lincoln (don't ask why I spelled it so messed up)

the second was because I didn't like the class combo of the first...