PDA

View Full Version : Future Stormlords Unite

ReluctantDragon
2007-08-14, 10:49 AM
"And fight back against the Proletariat that rules over you with an iron thumb and prevents you from getting struck by lightning!"

'Lo all.

I come to these esteemed halls yet again for recommendations, discussion and general opinion on a build that I have undertaken.

Level 1 Dwarven cleric

STR 14
DEX 11
CON 18(2) 20
INT 12
WIS 17
CHA 13(-2) 11

Feat: Endurance or Weapon Focus: Longspear

Unfortunately, Stormlord is expensive to get into. I won't see it until 6th level. The feat prerequisites are difficult to work with: Endurance, Great Fortitude and Weapon Focus in a spear or javelin.

I have okay stats to work with, and will be investing every bump into wisdom. However I am interested in hearing from anyone who has played a Stormlord, or built one before. Recommendations on spell usage, domains to choose, etc.

At the moment, I have access to Core for races, starting class, and description. I am able to use splatbooks eventually, hence the move into Stormlord.

Regardless, any comments anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

RD.

adanedhel9
2007-08-14, 01:02 PM
I've built a Stormlord, and thought quite a bit about how I would play one, but I've never actually played one.

Sounds like you've got a solid start.

I seem to recall that Stormlord requires 4 ranks in Knowledge (nature); without the Animal domain, you'll have wait till 8th level to get that. Another way to meet this would be to grab the Education feat from Eberron or Cosmopolitan from FR.

Note that you won't actually qualify for Weapon Focus at first level. However, if you take the War domain, you'll get it as a bonus feat anyway, letting you get into Stormlord a little earlier.

Spell selection on a Stormlord was my biggest stumbling block. I couldn't really pull off the idea of a storm-based caster with the cleric spell selection. I ended up choosing Spirit Shaman as a base class, mainly just so I could use the druid spell list.

Energy Substitution (electricty) and Born of Three Thunders are both nice feats for the flavor.

Be sure to carry shortspears or javelins as a ranged weapon, since you'll get lots of bonuses when using them.

ReluctantDragon
2007-08-14, 02:49 PM
I seem to recall that Stormlord requires 4 ranks in Knowledge (nature); without the Animal domain, you'll have wait till 8th level to get that. Another way to meet this would be to grab the Education feat from Eberron or Cosmopolitan from FR.

In Complete Divine there is no Knowledge(Nature) prereq, although you do gain access to the skill via the PrC.

Note that you won't actually qualify for Weapon Focus at first level. However, if you take the War domain, you'll get it as a bonus feat anyway, letting you get into Stormlord a little earlier.

Ah yes. See this is why I submit my ideas, because I tend to miss the small things. I will see if the DM is allowing picking and choosing of Domains, or if he is only allowing a domain attached to specific gods. If I can pick and choose, obviously I'll be going for War and possibly Air, or mayhaps Storm or Weather.

Spell selection on a Stormlord was my biggest stumbling block. I couldn't really pull off the idea of a storm-based caster with the cleric spell selection. I ended up choosing Spirit Shaman as a base class, mainly just so I could use the druid spell list.

Energy Substitution (electricty) and Born of Three Thunders are both nice feats for the flavor.

I like the idea of those feats. Definitely. Flamestrike dealing shocking damage instead of fire? Yes, please. And in terms of spells, I just like the idea of a cleric more than a druid at the moment, although I won't rule druid out. (no Spirit Shaman starting out as that's not core.)

Thanks for the ideas though! Please feel free to present more.