PDA

View Full Version : D&D Videogame, now in glorious 'Turn Based' Format

SpikeFightwicky
2007-08-14, 10:56 AM
So who has a PSP, and who's psyched about D&D tactics (release date today for North America)?

Official Page (http://www.atari.com/d&dtactics)

I don't have a PSP, but if I can find a used one somewhere, I may pick it up just for this game. It seems like the most 'D&D' feeling game to date, what with the turn based strategy and all.

I know it's early, but did anyone get it? If so... how is it?

Triaxx
2007-08-14, 02:05 PM
It's one of two reasons I want a PSP. D&D Tactics and FFTactics Lion War.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-08-14, 02:48 PM
It doesn't seem like many people here have it, want to talk about it.

Up until now I never considered getting a PSP because there were no games on it for me.

The weirdest thing is that I didn't even know it existed until yesterday (a day before the supposed release date). The media hype seems lacking.

Prustan
2007-08-14, 07:59 PM
It's about the only reason I'd consider a PSP as well, but I don't know much more than it exists.

Logic
2007-08-14, 08:22 PM
If the reviews end up being terrible, I am sure I will not buy that PSP I had my eye on.

If they are even mediocre, I think we fans of DND shall be more amused than those that review games (though, admitedly, some of them probably play DND too.)

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-08-14, 10:15 PM
Actually, you can play BG/BGII, and Icewind Dale as turn based too.

UserClone
2007-08-14, 10:39 PM
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil comes to mind, though not as a shining example of PC gaming awesomeness...

Edit: Come to thing of it, Planescape: Torment could (basically) be played as being turn-based, and it was a shining example of PC gaming awesomeness!

Ranis
2007-08-14, 10:43 PM
I will not invest in Sony just to play D&D tactics. I want to play the game, but I'm not suckering in to Sony like that. Not anymore.

horseboy
2007-08-15, 12:49 AM
If they'll put the SSI games on there I'd get one. MMmmm. Azure Bonds goodness.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-08-15, 09:23 AM
There are other good reasons to get a PSP coming up shortly. Someone already mentioned FFTactics: Lion War. Others are Disgaea Portable, Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (Dracula X Original (Rondo of Blood), Symphony of the Night, and the Dracula X 3d remake that we never got in English Speaking countries),Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII,Star Ocean: First Departure, Star Ocean: Second Evolution, and Final Fantasy: Dissidia (Super Smash Bros. with FF Characters!). There are also some fun games already out on it depending on your tastes. I kill most of my extra time on lunch breaks at work with Me & My Katamari (nana-na-na-na-na-na-na-na, Katamari Damacy!). as for the topic, I have it preordered here in Oz, and it's release date isn't until the 29th of August...

Nnanji
2007-08-16, 12:31 AM
So for anyone who's interested. D&D Tactics uses a 25 point buy system for creating characters. It seems like all SRD base classes are included including Psion and Psychic Warrior, along with most skills and feats. It's a little menu heavy, so buying my dwarf a longsword and equipping it to the right hand took a second. Unfortunately I decided to make my own party instead of using the pre-gens and that took all my time tonight. I will post gameplay impressions tomorrow.

Nnanji
2007-08-16, 05:29 PM
So I've been playing D&D Tactics today and my battery finally died so I thought I'd take a moment and write down my thoughts. Presented in Soft Reset format.

Story

I don't plan on giving away any plot points, and in any event I wouldn't have much to say. The first few missions are very story light. Just go kill the damn goblins. As you get into the game the story is presented through brief cut scenes. These are very poorly animate, sort of like electronic comic books. A couple of heads pop up and talk and occasionally the camera pans over to look at some feature. The story I've seen so far has been the same for both my good and my evil party, so I guess it becomes more elaborate later on and diverges.

Graphics and Sound

I play the PSP so little I forget how damned good it can be. A far cry from the DS sprites, that's for sure. The 3d models are very distinct and the camera can be swung around and raised or lowered via the analog stick. Attacks and spells all have their own animations, complete with little icons over the heads for effects (Zzz's for sleeping, that sort of thing.) Light sources matter, a lot. When you are maneuvering a character you see what he sees. Torches and light spells cast shadows, and characters with dark vision see things in a green tinge. Your avatar changes to show what weapon he's holding, all the good stuff. My only complaint is that there are only a few different looks for the avatar. If you think some of the heads are ugly, like I do, then you have very few oprions left. Body types are determined by race and sex.

The soundtrack is very good. The songs are well rendered and sound effects are distinct. Magic Missles zap and Burning Hands roars. General buff spells are sparkly. Between missions you are treated to a very calming melody that only gets a little repetitive.

Control

Clunky. There, I said it. Inventory management can be a real pain in the butt. Sometimes you use the d-pad, and sometimes the sticks and it's never really clear. At the bottom of the screen they tell you what the options for controls are, but in very tiny print. And for some reason there is no option to save created characters in the character generator to build up a stable of them. If you do decide to make your own characters, you must start a game with them right away and save that game. Any extra characters you made and don't use are lost.

During a mission it works fine. Cameras rotate smoothly. Movement is easy and actions are executed smoothly.

Gameplay

What can I say? This is it, turn based 3rd edition D&D rendered electronically as good as I've ever seen it. This is it's blessing and it's curse. If you've never played before, good luck. The learning curve will hit you like a truck. Even if you have played it, it might be handy to kep your Player's Handbook ready. Many times you have a help feature handy that explains very distinctly what everything does in game mechanical terms. Other times you just get a vague description of something. This happens a lot during character creation. It's great to know that extend spell doubles a spells range. It would be nicer to know that the spell uses a higher spell slot to do so and so can't be used as a level 1 wizard. They still let you learn it though.

They do streamline the game as much as they can. Fighters aren't bothered with a list of metamagic feats, and more fighter feats become available later as you meet their pre-reqs. Movement is shown in blue squares, with yllow squares showing threatened areas. Many commands are contextual. If you have already moved you don't get an option to full attack. This means you have to check every menu every turn to see what your options are. Sometimes the options are overwhelming. The Magic menu for my cleric includes the sub options: Cast from Scroll, Prepare spell (not sure why, maybe you use it before you rest for the night), Cast spell, Cleric Cure (to spontaneously convert a prepared spell to a healing spell.) And the Charge and Bull Rush options are listed under Movement, along with Move, Withdraw, and Step. I haven't played a Psion, I'm almost afraid to.

The AI is pretty good. They will flank you, attack your weakest members, and give up chasing a faster character to attack someone they can reach. I haven't died yet, but I haven't fought the sweet looking beholder form the cover either.

Oh, and they use encumberance rules. Dammit.

Nnanji's Recommendation

Honestly, this is probably worth 3 out of 5 of those Evil Eye thingies for newbies because of the learning curve. But if you are a fan of D&D this game is worth 4.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-08-20, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the review! I'll have to consider if it'll be worth it. Maybe if I can find a good price on a used PSP.

Jothki
2007-08-20, 10:00 AM
Edit: Come to thing of it, Planescape: Torment could (basically) be played as being turn-based, and it was a shining example of PC gaming awesomeness!

Other than the combat being terrible.

Kodra
2007-08-20, 12:19 PM
The story as far as I know it is "You're a bunch of adventurers. Go kill stuffs. Collect phat lutes".

The reason this is is that the story is revealed in a series of very slow paced dialogue scenes where your characters heads float around the screen. If you try the traditional "slam the A button to get past the timer" it kicks you out of the scene and you have to start all over.

That's alright though, because once I turn chess mode on, I'm basically just playing a tactics D&D game, which is all I really wanted.

My first attempt hasn't really drawn me into any of the characters, so I'm restarting the game and playing as (dun dun dun) the Order of the Stick.

25 Point Buy really limits what you can do with the OOTS, and the fact that Belkar is quite possibly the worst build ever makes it a challenge to turn him into little more than deadweight/treasure chest opener. My power gamer tendencies left me with two options: Make him a dual wield halfling barbarian, or as a friend suggested, make him a thrown weapons ranger. I'm gonna go with the latter option.

Edit: Lack of multiclassing and what seems to be properly functioning domains makes Smashdor a sad boy.

Let me know what you think of my stat layouts:
Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha
Roy
16/12/12/13/10/8 (Yes I know he's got more Cha, but this is what I can do with 25 points)
Haley
10/15/12/14/10/11
Elan
10/13/10/8/8/18
Durkon
11/10/16/10/15/10
Belkar
12/18/13/10/10/8
Vaarsuvius
8/12/12/17/12/8