PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wild Empathy and Carry Companion

Lemonblu
2017-09-27, 09:55 AM
If one were to use Wild Empathy to improve an animals attitude to "Helpful", and follow it up with a Carry Companion spell, what happens once the spell is dismissed?

Rules state the Wild Empathy check functions as per Diplomacy, but works on animals instead, therefore it looks like a time-frame of 1d4 hours (+/- DM discretion).

Carry Companion is an effect 'similar to that of a Flesh To Stone spell', lasting until it is either dismissed with a command word, or through the use of Dispel Magic.

Does the Wild Empathy 'timer' go on hold when a creature is petrified, continue running in the background, or expire immediately following the transformation to stone? I haven't found anything yet that details what happens to creatures under the Petrified condition.

There is a chance I've got a calmed and helpful petrified creature tucked away in a pocket, and would like to know if it's going to see me as an ally or enemy once I turn it back.

Geddy2112
2017-09-27, 10:32 AM
"Any attitude shift caused through Diplomacy generally lasts for 1d4 hours but can last much longer or shorter depending upon the situation (GM discretion)."

The last one is big. Depending on the circumstances before you used carry companion, and the circumstances when you release the animal, the animal might change its opinion. If the squirrel was your best friend eating peanuts out of your hand, and you release it from stasis into an active volcano, it will probably be hostile. Extreme example, but to stress the point of the situation mattering.

As far as time, I would say that any creature petrified is in stasis. From the spell "it does not seem alive when viewed by spells like deathwatch". In flesh to stone, they expand on this "the creature is not dead, but it does not seem to be alive either when viewed with spells like deathwatch"

I would say the duration has stopped, as the creature is in stasis and time is not passing for the animal. A carried companion could exist in stone form for eons past its normal lifespan, but it would not suddenly die when it was returned to normal, it would just continue aging from the moment it was made into a carried companion.