PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rules Question: Components and Hands

Wartex1
2017-09-27, 10:47 AM
I can't find an answer to a certain question for Pathfinder.

Is the same hand (for a divine caster) that is holding the divine focus able to perform the somatic component of a spell?

I just need a clear answer to this, since it determines whether I use a light or heavy shield.

Geddy2112
2017-09-27, 10:59 AM
As written, a component or focus does not require a hand, but a somatic component is a hand gesture. So you cannot be holding the component in the same hand, but you don't need to technically hold the components or focus. Just have them readily available.

In your case, the easiest fix is to put a holy symbol on your shield, therefore you always have it brandished and ready to roll. An exposed holy tattoo, channel focus, earrings, bracelet, or anything easily presented as part of casting the spell will do. Much like channel energy-you don't need to hold the holy symbol, just present it.

Psyren
2017-09-27, 11:10 AM
Yes, you can manipulate your components/foci with the same (otherwise free) hand that performs your somatic component.

FYI, there are ways for you to not have to hold your divine focus at all if you want to dual-wield/sword-and-board/etc. One way is the Birthmark (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/faith-traits/birthmark/) trait, or you can use a Channel Focus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/goods-and-services/toys-games-puzzles/#table-channel-foci) weapon or shield (Consecrated Weapon or Sanctified Shield, respectively.)

Wartex1
2017-09-27, 11:30 AM
Well, I knew about foci on shields and stuff, but this was mainly about a Living Grimoire Inquisitor who has a book which is both a weapon and a divine focus.

Psyren
2017-09-27, 11:58 AM
Well, I knew about foci on shields and stuff, but this was mainly about a Living Grimoire Inquisitor who has a book which is both a weapon and a divine focus.

If it's both weapon and holy symbol, you already have it in your hand, so you're fine.

Ellrin
2017-09-27, 12:35 PM
If it's both weapon and holy symbol, you already have it in your hand, so you're fine.

I think he was wondering specifically whether he could use the hand holding his weapon/focus to also perform somatic components, so he could keep the other hand occupied.

If that was the implicit question, I would probably personally rule RAI no, since that would allow you to effectively cast as if using still spell in most combat situations, but RAW I'm not sure.

Wartex1
2017-09-27, 12:45 PM
I think he was wondering specifically whether he could use the hand holding his weapon/focus to also perform somatic components, so he could keep the other hand occupied.

If that was the implicit question, I would probably personally rule RAI no, since that would allow you to effectively cast as if using still spell in most combat situations, but RAW I'm not sure.

Though it wouldn't be a problem with a light shield since I could move the book to the shield hand as a free action and use the hand which was holding the book for somatic components, and then once the spell is complete, use a free action to move the book back into the free hand.