PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Ideas for avatar of dimensional creature

Ossian77
2017-09-27, 11:01 AM
Hi Folks!

I need help to render a character concept written by one of my players (we play soon). How would you model him?

Bloodline? Classes? Spell touched/Planetouched?

In short, a dangerous, but not necessarily evil, extra-dimensional entity (unspecified, but ideas are welcome) is set loos upon the world during a tough magic duel. The 2 wizards realize it, halt the duel, join forces, and somehow seal the entity away in a "lake". One wizard dies, the other survives and stays on , bitter with regrets, as guardian

Fast Forward 300 years or a long time anyway, circumstances allow the Entity to break lose, almost fully. It starts creating "doubles" of the players and anyone in the area, for that matter. The entity does not know/want it, but all doubles are the opposite of the original.Good for Bad, mostly, and vice versa.

End of story arc, creature is sealed away, all doubles are gone, except one. For that one, it is the original that dies (and happily, he was cursed and was over life already). The entity is somehow banished, and maybe because of the (not replicated in the double) curse, the double is not evil, but good and sort of "reset" pre-curse. Yay.

Of course, a smidgen of the entity s conscience lives on, in the soul of the surviving double, this is the PC.

Entity was not evil per se, it had a purpose, sure, but it is more like a "creation force", a bit above good and evil, really.

Thus, the resulting PC is a man, who dies not know if he is immortal, or ageless, or will croak like a replicant from blade runner with a 2 hour notice.... Has the skills of a level 8 or 9 ranger, or maybe fighter/ranger? with the wide eyes of a creature just born, some memories of the original but not many, a strong animal world affinity. Fights old school, with a long sword, or better a bastard sword, with a strangely high level of mastery, controlled, almost if he did not want to kill, but could if he cut loose.

His magical or supernatural side is part of his own nature, and a bit frightens him, He realizes he is somehow a bit of a "probe" sent by an alien intelligence into the realm of "FANTASY world to be decided"

Bronk
2017-09-27, 11:11 AM
It sounds like he's a ranger with either one level of doppelganger bloodline (to represent his having replaced someone), the weaker of the two pseudonatural templates (to reflect his alien origins), or is an elan (a created human looking immortal aberration). Possibly all three!

DrMotives
2017-09-27, 11:17 AM
Without going into bloodlines / LA shenanigans, Elan fit thematically.

Ossian77
2017-09-27, 11:50 AM
It sounds like he's a ranger with either one level of doppelganger bloodline (to represent his having replaced someone), the weaker of the two pseudonatural templates (to reflect his alien origins), or is an elan (a created human looking immortal aberration). Possibly all three!

I relish the challenge! The Pseudonatural (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/pseudonatural.shtml) is not crazy powerful, and the dopplegager bloodline also works. I hesitate with the Elan because explaining psionic rules to my friend might put him off, but it does fit wonderfully. I might just cherry pick some Elan traits and call it a +2 LA.

Bronk
2017-09-27, 02:21 PM
I relish the challenge! The Pseudonatural (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/pseudonatural.shtml) is not crazy powerful, and the dopplegager bloodline also works. I hesitate with the Elan because explaining psionic rules to my friend might put him off, but it does fit wonderfully. I might just cherry pick some Elan traits and call it a +2 LA.

Cool! Maybe the pseudonatural template's tentacle form could come as a surprise...