PDA

View Full Version : (IC) Festival of Heroes - Tears of Amber - Main

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-27, 02:28 PM
This is the continuation of (IC) Festival of Heroes - Shattered Jewel - Main.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-27, 09:53 PM
Umbear smiled as Ais sputtered and studdered.

Looking around he saw his size was no longer needed and dismissed the abilities. Still large, Ais still fit on his shoulder nicely.

"Like I said, I stumbled over them earlier today. I figured you might like them. "

He began walking back to the group. Looking around he inhaled looking up at the tower.

"Im a simple Ogre... Things like this are confusing... Arcane magics... Towers of Power."

He once again pulled out the Mana Crystal in his pocket attuned to Water. Thinking about it he looked back up to the Tower.

"... thats... probably permanent..."

Andrew Markham
2017-09-27, 09:58 PM
Aurix looks around, then shrugs and begins to speak. "I've swept the perimeter. The earthquake was centered on the East Tower, and is clearly not natural. It created a circular tear in the earth. Shortly after the quake, when the midnight bells stopped, this column of energy came up out of the earth, enveloped the East Tower, and hit the skies. I've identified it as being Abyssal energy- that's the realm of demons- and it's being caused by something...similar to a breach between the realms, but not quite the same. My impression is it's something either ancient, evil, or both. In any case, the Abyssal energy has inundated the mana crystal, changing its nature. I checked the perimeter, and I don't see any sign of a rift opening between the realms, or of any intruders on the castle grounds. In fact, things are too quiet. I was just suggesting that we secure the area and see if there have been any other incidents elsewhere in the city."

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-27, 10:09 PM
Yama disappeared into the shadows as Qetesh gave her answer.

As things began to calm down, Geiravor, Brynhildr, Ignatius, abd Unwin gathered the others.

Unwin was very preplexed. "How in Midgar did this happen to MY tower?" he grumbled.

Ignatius looked up and down the tower. "It's going to take a LOT of power to dispell this thing." he growled.

"Might be." Brynhildr agreed with Umbear.

Suddenly, a flock of messenger birds all swooped in and landed around Unwin. At first, he was overwelmed by the sheer number, but soon, he quickly began collecting messages and reading them, one after the other. "My agents from all over the city are checking in. All clear around the city. They are asking about us here." he announced.

Geiravor looked around. "Where is Hervir?" she wondered aloud.

paladin_artea
2017-09-27, 10:13 PM
"She teleported to her own tower, in a panic I might add," Maraks replied, looking a little anxious himself, "If you wish, I can go check on her."

Wolfykins
2017-09-27, 10:19 PM
Camille whistled. "That's... huh. So that's what that is," she said, nonplussed.

Aurora gazed up at the tower, coated in roiling black and crackling red, brow pinched.
"The Abyss is... chaos and evil combined in all the worst ways. I suppose if that black stuff is harmful, it would be similar to a magic weapon with both the anarchic and unholy properties. I would say those who are good and hold the law dear, would likely suffer the most from contact with it. But that's just a guess... conjecture. Normally, such properties would have no extra effects on someone on the center path. But this... this is beyond... well... anything... that I've ever seen. I can't imagine it would be healthy for anyone to touch, unless they embodied the essence of the Abyss," she said, sounding slightly awed.

Aistriú's stomach dropped when Umbear shrank, and she gripped the material on his shoulder like her life depended on it, pale skin whitening further.
"Hhhhoo," she breathed. "Wow, alright... um... wait, what? What do you mean, Umbear? What's permanent? The black stuff on the tower? Or the contamination of the crystal?"

Andrew Markham
2017-09-27, 10:29 PM
Aurix turns his attention to Lord Unwin. "Lord Unwin, did you have any staff working in that tower during the festival? Anyone being housed there? If so, they're likely being affected by the energy as well."

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-27, 10:55 PM
Umbear stood there looking at his mana crystal. Then he would look back up at the big one.

"Let me test something..."

Holding the Mana crystal in his hand he pointed up and unleashed a maximized Blizzard Blast, drawing upon the Crystal to feed the Burn that would be inflicted upon himself, attempting to determine if using up the water power in the crystal would drain the energy from it, and make it neutral again.

"speaking of.... Ais... how would you like... to come along with me on adventures?"

As the blast of ice flies into the air the crystal in his hand crumbles. He frowns deeply.

"If thats any indication... u might not be able to purify the mana crystal of Abyssal energy.... you may have to drain it and replace it"

Wolfykins
2017-09-27, 11:08 PM
Aistriú watched his experiment curiously. "What sort of adventure did you have in mind? You going to go get more crystals?" she asked.
"Why do you say that, Umbear? What was different about the crystal you just used? It was a different blue than the ones atop the towers are... or, rather, were, I guess."

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-27, 11:19 PM
Umbear looked to Ais.

"That was a Crystal that had been attuned to water, just like the crystal up there has been attuned to Abyssal energy. I may take a trip to get a few more crystals to try different experiments. To see if I can find a different way to possibly... un attune them."

He thought in pondering.

"I was offering... to have you join me on.... exploring... and when you hear about one of your.... odditties... I would come with you in exchange...ya know?"

Wolfykins
2017-09-27, 11:42 PM
"Hmm, maybe. We should probably talk about that when we're not on the verge of a crisis though," Aistriú said with a wry chuckle.
"So... wait, you did something to a mana crystal to convert the energy into water energy? Huh, that's interesting... What did you do to accomplish that?" she wondered. "What would happen if you did whatever you did for two different energies? Like, what would happen if you took a crystal you'd changed to water, and repeated the process with something like fire or wind? Would it be both? Neither? Would the new energy supplant the original?" Her fingers twitched against her books, and she glanced at the stump of her other arm in consternation.
"I need a self-writing pen," she muttered. "It's going to be difficult to take notes, now."

"I dropped the crystal in a well in the mine, hey. That's how it got attuned," Torilee piped up.

Aistriú paused and looked at the brownie, her expression shifting from one of intrigue to one that seemed almost pitying.
"A well. Just... a normal well? I would think if a mana crystal was so susceptible to change as that, then rain falling and wind blowing would've changed the big ones on the towers," the danthienne replied, just managing not to scoff.

Torilee shook her head. "No, hey, it wasn't a 'normal' well. Aurix said it was an elemental saturation point."

Aistriú brightened. "Oh! That's interesting! Alright, so my other query is the same, though I can phrase it in a more articulate manner, now! What happens if you take a crystal that's been dunked in one elemental saturation point, and dunk it in a saturation point of a different element? Do they combine, negate, or overwrite?" she asked.

Milosh13
2017-09-28, 05:56 AM
Droktoktor looked to the others after the crowd had dispersed and said, I will return in a moment. I need to change into something better suited to the situation. The catfolk then opened a gate portal and as he walked through, it closed behind him.

Gate to room, requip, gate back to the other heroes.

After a few minutes the catfolk reappeared dressed in his adventuring gear.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-28, 06:31 AM
Umbear nodded as his two fey friends began talking back and forth.

"That is a very good line of reasoning and question. Brynhildr, do you have any Mana crystals lying around, if not, Ill take a trip back to the cave.... I could take everyone here.... but it takes longer for me to get us there.... 30 minutes there and back. We can saturate a few of them with water energy and then place in the abyssal energy area to see how a pre saturated mana crystal responds to new energy."

Andrew Markham
2017-09-28, 07:39 AM
Aurix answers, "The answer is overwrite. The new saturation point overwrites the old one. In this case, it's a moot point while that Abyssal energy is still enveloping the tower. We need to seek out its source...if it's something that can be stopped. Anybody here have the ability to sense what's going on underground, or knowledge of whether there are tunnels down there?"

"Point number two is- was there anybody inside? If so, how has this affected them? Would it just kill them? Transform them? Or are they in need of rescue? Does the energy block access to the tower from INSIDE the castle? We need to figure out whether we're under threat now, or we're going to be in the near future."

Taking his own thoughts to heart, Aurix tries to contemplate answers to his own questions.

Knowledge Planes: [roll0]

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-28, 07:50 AM
Umbear nods.

"Itll take me a little time, But I can commune with nature, but that wont tell us anything if the caves are crafted, instead of natural. Would you like me to try?"

Umbear looks to the group.

"Is there anyone who can do something a bit better?"

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-28, 08:03 AM
"There were just a few guild alchemists left in there. Most of the rest were here tonight." Unwin replied with a hint of worry. "There is a system of tunnels that connected to the catacombs, sewer, and various underground facilities and basements. Few of those tunnels are still in use, but I suspect the Thieves' Guild might now a bit more about that." he reported.

"Sure, we have some unused crystals." Brynhildr answered.

Geiravor listened to everyone carefully before speaking again. "Sounds like the rift is deep underground. If that is the case, whatever might be coming up has a ways to go. Right now, our primary concern is what might be coming out of that rift. It might be a while before we can get to it. So we have time to figure out entry points. Anyone have any thoughts on the topic?" the Princess asked, looking around at everyone before looked up to Hervir's tower. Her eyes widened as she realized something. "Hervir studied the long history of Juvelnord and maps of the city. She would know what we are looking for. Markas did say she teleported to her tower. She is probably already working on a solution." the Princess added.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-28, 08:10 AM
Umbear speaks up.

"I think Unwin has a very good point. We should contact the Thieves guild and get their assistance in the caverns underneath the city. During this time period it would not suprize me if the thieves guild leader would recall all the members to a central location to distribute orders about what to do in this crisis. "

Umbear looks back to Aurix.

"Already did experimentation with the Mana Crystals Rix? Can power be leeched off the crystal to neutralize it? or does it have to be over written?"

Wolfykins
2017-09-28, 08:16 AM
"Markas, didn't you say Hervir was in a panic?" Aistriú asked, brow pinching with concern. "If she has answers, and seemed upset to the point of panic, maybe we should go check on her... she didn't strike me as the type to panic easily. Plus if she actually has answers as to what's causing this, then us speculating and experimenting is largely a time-waster," she pointed out.

Andrew Markham
2017-09-28, 08:27 AM
Aurix looks to Umbear. "Draining it won't change the energy source. The refined crystals recharge and the unrefined ones break, like yours did. For now, let's not focus on the crystal. Nothing we can do with it."

"If we need to get Hervir, I recommend Markas and I go. To my knowledge, I'm the only other person who knows how to access the Magic Repository, and she might be in there. Plus I can either fly or teleport. In the meantime, I recommend we keep watch over the castle grounds. Expect anything."

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-28, 08:44 AM
"We all need to go to Hervir's tower. The volume of texts she has might require several pairs of eyes. Besides, I am worried about her. There are enough soldiers and guards here we can leave them them to it. We can rush back if necessary." Geiravor replied.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-09-28, 10:11 AM
As the group gathers they hear the cadence of marching boots and hoofbeats. Any who turn see Gorrun marching leading 109 additional units. 40 carry sword and shield, 20 carry long pikes and short swords, 20 carry longbow and quiver with short swords and 20 are mounted on horseback with longswords. The rest are officers leading each group. They arrive just as Droktoktor gates back to the group. [roll0] Spellcraft to ID.

paladin_artea
2017-09-28, 11:14 AM
Markas just listened patiently as the others discussed what could have been going on at Unwin's Tower as he had no expertise in magical stuff. "Before we go further, just in case there's trouble, I have presents for those who may need them," Maraks grinned as he put his bag of holding on the ground and pulled out various items. "Got these on the same adventure we rescued Ais and got the cockatrice eggs Hervir needed. Ais helped me ID most of these...here we go..."

A simple-looking gold ring. (Ring of Freedom of Movement)
A silver ring engraved with a repeating pattern of a shield with a cross. (Ring of Protection +4)
A gold ring set with 9 garnets. (Ring of Delayed Doom)
A cloak embroidered with images of falling stars and pale moons. (Cloak of Major Displacement)
Wand of Haste (50 charges, each charge lasts 5 rounds)
Wand of Archon's Aura (50 charges, each charge lasts 5 rounds)
An exceptionally clean, pure-looking dagger in a simple leather sheath. (+4 Neutralizing Dagger)

"Also she wasn't able to identify these, so if anyone can help with that I'd appreciate it."

A brass bottle with a lead stopper bearing strange runes
A 1-pound, featureless gray stone, perfectly smooth and flawlessly polished (Unknown ioun stone)
An exquisitely forged katana in a masterwork sheath.
A light crossbow with a faintly yellow-green tint along the bolt track.

"And finally I think I'll give this one to our dear princess," Markas said, handing Geiravor a crystal ball.

Crystal Ball of Detect Thoughts

Andrew Markham
2017-09-28, 11:48 AM
"My Lady, so far as we know, the West Tower should be safe. We need heroes here, in case something comes from that Abyssal column. Plus not all heroes are well suited to research! Surely you, me, and Markas should be sufficient to check on Hervir's safety. If we truly need more help after that, I can ask Jaylyn to relay the message."

Wolfykins
2017-09-28, 11:53 AM
Aistriú cleared her throat. "Excuse me, um yes, I'd like to go to the West Tower," she said, raising her hand. "I happen to be an archivist, so, I think I'd be useful there!"
"Yes, but, if I make a bond with someone who's not going, like I did with Gorrun at the farm, then I'll know the emotional state and health of whomever I bond with. So I'll know immediately if there's any trouble with my partner, and I'll know unerringly where to find them. Unfortunately, there is no telepathic connection with it, so it's not like it makes for an easy way to pass messages, but it's still something," she pointed out, shrugging.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-28, 12:01 PM
Umbear smiles.

" I'll volunteer for that ais. "

He looks around.

"I'm not exactly suited to study research. I'm more a... Talking researcher"

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-28, 12:02 PM
"You don't understand, Aurix." Geiravor sighed. "Hervir just went to her tower alone while the Abyss opened up beneath our feet. I-I-I was just trying to keep my composure, but I am really worried about her." she said trembling. She was on the verge of tears. "She is doing something risky to defeat whatever it is that is coming. She needs me and the heroes. The fight isn't here right now. The fight is where Hervir is." she explained.

Andrew Markham
2017-09-28, 12:36 PM
Aurix takes a long look at Geiravor. She had started off trying to make excuses about research and books, and suddenly this? Aurix felt the presence of a state secret...but then, he figured, that's her right as monarch. "All right. You, me, and Markas, that's 3. I can teleport 5 more, or two of you larger folks, if you'll just take my hand. Ais, you wanna link up with Umbear? Keep things safe down here, will you, buddy? Princess, are we trying to stop her or help her? Do we need to be ready for combat?"

Wolfykins
2017-09-28, 12:39 PM
Aistriú nodded and focused on Umbear for six seconds. Then she looked up and said, "Alright, it's done." She carefully climbed down Umbear and walked over to stand next to Markas.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-09-28, 12:42 PM
Gorrun places a large hand on Droktoktors shoulder Would you be able to do that again? Create a gate through the planes that is?

As Geiravor issues her command Gorrun turns to his men. Ravenclaw, you're with me. The rest of you form a parameter along here. No one gets close to that column. Silverleaf, send me a message at the first sign of trouble.
He turns to Geiravor I'm with you your majesty, where you go I go. He turns then to Aurix. We can use the Castle's portal system so that we don't deplete your resources.

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-28, 12:59 PM
Geiravor looked to the General and nodded. "Exactly. Someone recall Jaylyn." Geiravor ordered. She looked back to Aurix. "Stop her, I think. I just hope she's not using magic too powerful for her." she replied to Aurix.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-28, 01:12 PM
Umbear nods and smiles to Ais. Content

"Alright Rix. Ill hold the line here if a horde of demons comes. But If u need heavy fire power, let me know Im needed... Ill make it there somehow. "

He looks around and begins working to augment himself, preparing for a large battle.

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-28, 01:31 PM
"I will stay here to help guard the line and reply to my agents around the city. Unwin announced.

Brynhildr wrapped her arms around Umbear's arm. "I'm going to check up on Hervir with the others, but I'm nervous about what we'll find." she whispered.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-28, 01:34 PM
Umbear looked down to Brynhildr Concern

"Im sure she will be fine. Shes a competent mage, and im sure even a horde would take a week to expend her arcane resources... I just hope she doesnt try to use any of her mana crystals to power her spells... that... might be bad... right aurix?"

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-28, 01:45 PM
The Princess pointed to Umbear. "Actually, we do need your elemental muscle along. No idea what to expect." she said.

She, then, encircled her hands around her mouth..
"Hey, Jaylyn!!! We need you!!! she called to thr flying fox.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-28, 01:48 PM
Umbear raised his eyebrows surprise

"Alright Princess, Ill come along... I hope these men will be able to handle it"

He lets his hand run down Bryhildr's spine til it reaches the small of her back. reassurance

He look up to see Jaylyn Flying around. He points his finger up and shoots a blast in her direction, but in no danger of hitting Jaylyn.

"Got your attention?!"

paladin_artea
2017-09-28, 02:02 PM
Markas bent down to pick Ais up and sit her on his shoulder. He was trying to keep his cool, but inwardly was just as worried for Hervir as Geiravor was. Seeing the Princess start to break down a moment shook his own nerves. "We're in a rush, these can wait," he said gathering the items he sat out back inside his bag and pulling out whatever items he needed for battle that he couldn't wear under his formal attire, donning them as quickly as possible. It may have looked ridiculous, but he didn't care. He looked at Geiravor,
the worry more plain in his expression "what do you mean we need to stop Hervir? Is she going to do something dangerous to herself?"

Erealyn
2017-09-28, 02:20 PM
Jaylyn was still patrolling the area, when she heard Geiravor call out to her. She turned and started flying back down to the princess "ON MY WAY...WOAH!!" she said when Umbear shot something past her. "I'M COMING UMBEAR GEEZ!"

She rushed down to the ground and landed before the rest of the group. "Has something happened on the ground, there's been no signs of any movement I saw from the air and no unusual magical aura." She said slightly out of breath.

Andrew Markham
2017-09-28, 02:22 PM
"The Princess would like all of the heroes to accompany her to the Mage's Tower. She believes Hervir may be attempting some life-threatening magic, and wishes us to try and stop her," Aurix explains.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-09-28, 02:33 PM
She left at the stroke of midnight. If that is indeed the case, she's had several minutes now to begin whatever it is she's planning. We should move now. Into the castle, quickly.
Gorrun shifted into a swifter posture and began hustling toward the main entry where the large mirror portal was embedded into the floor. (80'/rd hustle) Ravenclaw kept pace with him, flapping his wings occationally and then gliding a bit (60/rd for two rds then 120' hustle for one rd.)

Wolfykins
2017-09-28, 02:37 PM
Aurora pursed her lips.
"Anyone need a ride?" she asked, tone a mixture of resignation and worry.

"I should go find Warrick and make sure he knows what's going on. Hopefully I can find him, fill him in, and we can get to the tower in time, for... whatever is going on..." Camille said, expression filled with concern. The half-elf hurried off in the direction Trig and Warrick had headed earlier.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-28, 02:39 PM
Umbear, having been gathering energy and expending it this entire time finally relaxes as a small negative energy elemental hovers near his head. His Full Plate of Ice covers his entire body, but there seems to be movement beneath the ice.

Ice Armor +12 AC
Shimmering Mirage 20% Miss Chance
Flesh of Stone DR20/ Adamantine
Jagged Flesh : +1d6 Unarmed Damage, and 1d6 damage to any weapon/unarmed strike used against Umbear
Spell Deflection: Spell Turning up to 1 level of Spell
Emptiness: Negative Energy Resistance 20, Critical and Sneak Attack Resist +50%, +10 Will vs Emotion Effects
Fluid Form Spell:

Seeing Gorrun take off, Umbear shifts into the stance of a Hooded Cobra, sweeps Brynhildr into his arms, and takes off after Gorrun.
Confidence

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-28, 03:11 PM
Geiravor took off after her General and towards the castle. Her heart was pounding before she even started to run. "We're coming, Hervir." she whispered.

Brynhildr held on to Umbear as he carried her. Her concern for Hervir was still present on her face.

Erealyn
2017-09-28, 03:11 PM
Jaylyn upon hearing what the other just said recoiled in shock. "She planning to do WHAT!?" she said, "Count me in, we need to get to her as soon as possible!"

Jaylyn then looked over to Markas and Geiravor, "I know you and her are close, just giving you a heads up if she is planning on doing something reckless..." Jaylyn said shaking her head, "...I might have to dominate her to prevent it. If it does come to that, I can only beg you all for forgiveness."

With that, Jaylyn turns and proceeds to follow Gorrun and Umbear.

Wolfykins
2017-09-28, 03:24 PM
Aurora shrugged and followed the others.

Aistriú patted Markas' head. "It'll be alright, I'm sure!" she said, trying to comfort him, though she didn't actually sound sure.

paladin_artea
2017-09-28, 05:54 PM
Markas sighed, "I hope it won't come to that Jaylyn, but if that's what it takes to save her life..." he left his thought unfinished. He turned to Aistriú, "Thanks Ais, it'll be okay because we'll make it that way," he said with determination. He thought for a moment and took time to switch out his pauldrons wiht the Cloak of Major Displacement, at least for now before running until he caught up with the others."I hope you can hold on tight, you're going to be in for a heck of a ride little friend. I don't know jack about magic, and in a physical contest, I may not be the best in the group, but one thing I am confident in is my speed." he turned to the others when he arrived alongside them and thought outloud, "Once we're in Hervir's Tower, I can run on and scout ahead. The strategy worked for me before in the caves and...I'm...already familiar with the area and if I get to her first I can try to stop her or if there's trouble ahead I can rush back and warn you. Sound like a plan everyone?"

Erealyn
2017-09-28, 06:00 PM
Jaylyn nodded when Markas replied, "I just hope she understands" she thought. she looked at Markas, "If you're going to rush headlong into a mage's tower, NOT knowing what there would you like me to give you resistance to magic? If you need any good magic from any of us afterwards, you can always suppress it for a moment."

paladin_artea
2017-09-28, 06:06 PM
Markas reached inside the top of his shirt and pulled out a necklace, "This necklace right here is my main defense against spells. It hasn't been tested in battle yet, so if you can give me a stronger boon I'd appreciate it, if not i know it's better than nothing."

Gives SR 25, +5 dodge bonus, and glows in the presence of undead

Wolfykins
2017-09-28, 06:34 PM
"I think I should stay on your shoulder and tag along," Aistriú said, "because, no offense Markas, but... you're not that great at talking to people. At the very least, I can sing softly in your ear and give you a boost if you need it. And since I know 'Dimension Door', you won't have to run back to tell the others what's happening. I can just pop over to them if need be."

paladin_artea
2017-09-28, 06:42 PM
Markas let out a small smile, "I wasn't saying you can't stay with me Ais, I'm glad to have you along. Besides your bardic abilities, just having an extra set of eyes is a big help. Just I run really fast and don't want you to fall off my shoulder! But the person I'm trying to talk to is Hervir and we have become very close recently. Unless she's under some external influence she'll listen."

Wolfykins
2017-09-28, 06:57 PM
Aistriú sighed. "I'm not so sure about that, Markas. You haven't known Hervir for very long. And sometimes personal feelings aren't enough when someone believes something is their duty; especially in the service of their chosen deity..."
"But I can hang on, don't worry about that. I guess if no one disagrees with this plan, then I guess everyone can wait at the teleport pad while you run up to her repository? I'm pretty sure it would be within a thousand feet... the entire tower isn't even that tall!"

paladin_artea
2017-09-28, 07:03 PM
"You may be right about that Ais," Markas conceded, "but it doesn't mean that it's not at least worth trying though. Objections to that plan anyone?"

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-28, 07:10 PM
"Go ahead, Markas. Try to talk to her. Please." Geiravor said, looking back at him as they ran.

As they ran into the castle, Gorrun lead them to the closest circle room. Once everyone piled into the room, Geiravor stated the destination. In a blink, they ported into Hervir's tower, barely noticing the trip aside from the area outside of the circle room changing.

Milosh13
2017-09-28, 09:22 PM
I can definitely do that again if needed, the catfolk said in a reassurring voice. Droktoktor then started heading toward the castle with the rest of the heroes.

paladin_artea
2017-09-28, 09:24 PM
Markas nodded, "For all our sakes, your highness," he replied, then turned to Ais, "Hang on and keep your eyes open." he told the little Fey as he begin to run up the tower, looking out for both Hervir, and any possible enemies in their path.

[roll0]

Wolfykins
2017-09-28, 09:28 PM
"Fourth floor, Markas! That should be the entrance to the magic repository," Aistriú said, clinging to his sleeve with her one hand, holding herself low to reduce wind resistance.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-09-28, 10:31 PM
I need for you to provide safe passage for Lord Ambassador Valantine and his family to Alfheim. The were heading to their townhome. They should be somewhere along this route. [roll0] K. Local, Gorrun gives Droktoktor directions. Once that is done, rush back here. The princess has requested as many of us as are able to assist her in a rescue or aid mission. Aesir speed your way.

Gorrun positioned himself on the northwestern rim of the mirrored circle so that when the group teleported to the repository he would be positioned between the group of heroes, most specifically Geiravor, and whatever they may be facing. Ravenclaw, stay here and guard this room. I will send for you if I need you.

Milosh13
2017-09-28, 10:54 PM
Leave it to me, I will return them to Alfheim safely. The catfolk rushed to the ambassador and spoke, please follow me and stay close while I get you back home.

Using Gorrun's directions, the catfolk opened a gate and escorted the the ambassador and his family into the strange opening. With the gate opening to Alfheim, the catfolk bid farewell to the ambassador and his family. If you will excuse me, I am needed back at the castle. The catfolk said after ensuring their safe return.

The catfolk entered back through the gateway as out closed behind him. Moments later the catfolk reappeared and headed toward the rest of the party. The ambassador is safely returned home with his family. the catfolk reported as he ran past.

paladin_artea
2017-09-29, 06:44 AM
"Right!" Markas said, "keep your eyes open and hang on. I'm going to double time it!" he warned as he picked up his pace.

He's going full run if it is allowed in this space, if not, he's double moving.

Wolfykins
2017-09-29, 10:26 AM
The Valentines stopped when Droktoktor flagged them down, and Tristan looked relieved when he explained what was going on. The marquis and his family stepped through the 'Gate' into Alfheim.
Tristan paused before the 'Gate' closed and turned and handed Droktoktor a box, about a foot long by four or five inches wide, and a couple inches deep. "Please deliver that to the good General," he said.

The two cylindrical towers that sat about twenty feet easy and west of the castle were nearly identical in construction. They were taller than most of the buildings in the city. The castle itself and a few of the more ambitious temples were the only things that outdid the towers. Despite their height, they each bore only five floors, plus a flat, rooftop floor beneath the giant crystals that sat mounted on celestial mithral posts. The posts held the crystals about twenty feet above the flat roofs. Aside from the crystals, the towers both appeared plain, looking like basic, stone fortress towers with parapets and arrow slit windows. The stone for both was different from the pale stones used for the castle and most of the city's buildings, being imposing, gray granite.
Rather than the usual approximate ten feet between floors, the towers' floors were spaced twenty feet apart, so the rooms were tall and narrow. A spiral staircase led the way from top to bottom.
The first floor was green checkered marble and looked very arcane, with ioun stones of unknown type and function embedded in the plaster-coated walls around the teleport platform, which sat upon a dais with steps leading down to a reception area with semi-circular benches set up to face the dais. Two other teleport pads sat behind and off to either side of the one the heroes entered from. A door on the opposite side of the room from the dais, to the northwest, led to a vestibule, which in turn led outside, as well as to two hallways on either side leading to living quarters for servants.
The other floors were various living quarters, storage rooms, and studies. The fourth floor had an extra, hidden door leading to Hervir's magic repository. It was a large library with a few tables, including one a bit larger than the others with a lip around the edge, which bore a number of vials containing carious potions and expensive magical reagents, plus a scattering of tools. It was an ideal space for researching and experimenting with magic.

"Sorry Markas, I don't know how to get into the repository, I just know the door is on the fourth floor," Aistriú said apologetically. "But I do know 'Detect Secret Doors', so if you don't already know where the door to the magic repository is, I can use that to find it."

paladin_artea
2017-09-29, 10:59 AM
"Idiot!" Markas cursed himself, "Aurix mentioned he had access to the repository. I should've thought this through some more. I'm sorry Ais, going to have to turn around and ask him." He then rushed back down as quickly as he came up and called out "Aurix, there's a hidden door up here! How do I get in?!"

Andrew Markham
2017-09-29, 11:19 AM
Aurix begins running towards and up the stairs after Markas as he calls out the answer, "Find the ebony door with silver frame on the top floor! Say "Knowledge is power" to it and it'll open into a foyer! After the door closes behind you, say "Knowledge is sacred" to the ivory door in the next room. If you don't wait or get it wrong, it'll teleport you into the cells! Or you can just wait, we're right behind you!" Aurix begins climbing the stairs.

paladin_artea
2017-09-29, 11:55 AM
Markas let out a frustrated sigh debating on whether or not to wait for his friends. If Geiravor was right time probably wasn't on their side, but also the princess needed them all to go... "Fine I'll wait!" he decided. However if they arrive too late to help Hervir because he waited, Markas knew he'd never forgive himself.

Andrew Markham
2017-09-29, 12:23 PM
Aurix heads up the stairs, then waits for everyone else to arrive at the top floor.

When all the heroes have gathered, he leads them to where the ebony door is hidden. "It's here," he says. "Knowledge is power." The ebony door opens into a foyer with an ivory door inside. Aurix gestures everyone inside. Once in, the ebony door closes behind them. He approaches the ivory door. "Knowledge is sacred," Aurix announces, and the ivory door opens, admitting them into the Magic Repository.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-29, 12:43 PM
Umbear pauses as people are deciding what to do he gathers energy for a moment to gather energy as he exchanges his ability of eye of the void greater for celerity as he becomes hasted for the next 20 rounds. He then uses that extra speed to double move every other round, using the other rounds to buff his shorter lasting abilities.

Haste 20 Rounds from Floor 1
Telekinetic Deflection (Swapped for Eye of the void) from floor 3

Wolfykins
2017-09-29, 01:57 PM
The group of heroes poured into the magic repository, with Markas taking the lead, filling the space between the two rows of benches, in the middle of the room. Hervir stood on the far side of the room, behind the lipped work table, which had been cleared of its usual odds and ends and instead bore the cockatrice egg and an assortment of other rare, expensive magical reagents.

https://scontent.fcae1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/p720x720/22195638_10210497349171293_8803064716758503592_n.j pg?oh=c843db94cc7cbbc6e948dd44fad84d2b&oe=5A54FF04

Hervir seems to be surrounded by an invisible wall, enclosing her completely and going floor-to-ceiling.
https://scontent.fcae1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22046937_10210497015842960_8496083649411148511_n.j pg?oh=640bf0ef970d90c9e132845e309b6a20&oe=5A4D3269

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-29, 04:34 PM
Hervir slowly looked up from her work. The cockatrice egg on a small silver stand on the lipped table in front of her. Around the egg was a pinch of iron powder, a palm-sized dimond, and a silver spoon all in the middle of a chalk-lined magic circle. She quietly sighed.

"So you're all here, except Zeetzeet." she said in a raspy voice.

Her blue eyes were bloodshot and puffy as if she had been crying. On a table to the side of the room was an open scroll, a candle, and a cup of tea. Tricey was locked up in a small birdcage on the table with her personal effects.

"Sorry about leaving to deal with the crowd, I needed to get a spell ready. I didn't mean to worry you all." Hervir apologized.

Geiravor tried to steady her breathing as she stared at the egg.

paladin_artea
2017-09-29, 05:22 PM
Markas's eyes widened at seeing Hervir looking so distraught. He looked to Geiravor who seemed on the verge of panic as she stared at the egg Marks helped the Court Mage retrieve.
He also saw Tricey and Hervir's items put aside. Now he was really worried.
"Hervir... what exactly are you doing?" he asked, the worry escaping in his voice, "whatever it is, please stop! If this ritual takes your life it's not worth it! Not as a first resort! We're all here because we're ready to help! Yes Juvelnord's under siege, but whatever it is wasn't expecting the greatest heroes in the world already gathered together to resist them! We can beat this, but we need your help and not like this! We need the Court Mage's expertise to figure this out....Not just that, but...Princess Geiravor needs you, Tricey needs you, and I need you! Not as the Court Mage, but just as your sweet self. Don't leave us when you are needed the most. Please," Markas begged, his own eyes starting to water...

Wolfykins
2017-09-29, 05:46 PM
Aurora said nothing at first, watching the scene unfold with a worried expression. She'd never seen Hervir like that before. She stamped one back hoof nervously and fidgeted with a lock of hair.

Aistriú patted Markas' head again.
"You seem to know something about what's going on with the other tower," she said, looking up at Hervir. It was worded as a statement, but there was an implied question in her words.

Erealyn
2017-09-29, 06:07 PM
Jaylyn walked past Umbear to stand between Geiravor and Aurix. "Hervir, please at least tell us about this spell. Some of us risked our lives to help you get that egg. I wanted to ask you before about it, but I didn't want it said out in the open for unknown ears to hear." Jaylyn said with urgency in her voice, Jaylyn gripping her staff so hard her knuckles turned white, "You owe us that much at least."

Then something Markas said clicked in Jaylyn's head. "Wait a second, maybe that's EXACTLY what whomever is doing this wanted. To gather the strongest people from around this area. Think about it, if whomever wanted to do this when the city was at it's weakest, they would have send out enough forces to cause a distraction to call us away. Instead they wait until the exact moment we'd all be in town to put this plan in motion. The events line up just a little too perfectly to be chance. However if anybody can dispute that, please do." Jaylyn said with even more worry in her voice then normal.

Andrew Markham
2017-09-29, 06:11 PM
Aurix intently studies the ingredients on the table, but says nothing.

Jaylyn hears Aurix's voice in her mind. "Do you see it? She's put up a Wall of Force around herself. Unless you have Mage's Disjunction, we're going to have to beat it down, and that'll take time. And could potentially be dangerous, in this room."

As Jaylyn begins talking about the egg, Aurix turns his head in her direction.

"That egg...it just looks like a cockatrice egg. But it seems to have a prominent place in this spell...and she needed you to get it? Please, tell me about it."

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-29, 06:25 PM
Umbear stood there watching. considering a Trickster from his young he descideds to look around the room where everone else seemed to be ignoring.

[roll0] perception

As umbear looks around his eyebrows raise, but then as he looks up, his brow furrows.

Concern... Worry

Milosh13
2017-09-29, 06:28 PM
Droktoktor handed the box he received on his way back through the gate to Gorrun, this is for you from the safely returned ambassador and his family. The catfolk then rushed toward where the others were located. Sorry I'm late everyone, he said apologetically.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-09-29, 07:06 PM
Gorrun absentmindedly accepted the box and slipped it into his bag. Thank you. he remains focused on Hervir.
I know you're scared, but you don't have to do this alone. Why have you walled yourself in? We're you afraid for yourself from what's out there? We're you afraid that what you're doing would get out of there? We're you afraid we would try to stop you? I only ask to better understand. You know you have allies. Let us in and we will help you. [roll0] diplomacy

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-29, 08:01 PM
Geiravor took a step forward, holding out her hand. "Hervir, what are you about to do?" she asked.

"Studying the history of our people, I suspected this might happen. The Abyss spilling out into the East Tower confirmed my suspicions. Legions of the Abyss are on their way here and will spread across the world like a plague unless I contain them. I will contain all of Juvelnord in a barrier that even a demon simply can't bypass. However, this spell drains my vitality and converts it into the strength of the barrier. It's dangerous but I believe I can control it. In the past, I could always control when the magic stopped, except once when I was alone. Geiravor found me before the magic overtook me. So I'm so happy that you're all here! Because, with you all here, I believe I can control the magic. Keep it from going too far."
"To answer your question, General, I had no way of knowing when the Legions of the Abyss would arrive and I couldn't take the chance of them breaching the tower and interrupting me before I finished. If you will all promise not to interfere, I will drop the walls, but you MUST promise."
She looked specifically at Aurix and Gorrun. "Because I fear if you won't keep that promise, something bad will happen to Geiravor, because of an old prophecy." She punctuated her pause by lifting the silver spoon.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-29, 08:29 PM
Umbear steps past everyone and moves north of the barrier hiding Hervir. He knocked gentle on the barrier and smiled.

"Do you think this would stop us if we wanted in there?"

He sat down on the ground, looking to the princess.

"Your kingdom. Your word. I'll follow suit"

paladin_artea
2017-09-29, 08:29 PM
Markas listened intently to Hervir's explanation and tried to understand,
but a few things confused him, "Hervir, this barrier you're trying to erect, is it to prevent the demons from entering the city in the first place, or is it to ensure that even if they reach the city they never go beyond? How long will you need to be here to keep this barrier up? Also...is it possible to use the vitality of more than one person to power this barrier and lessen the overall risk to those involved? If so, I'm willing to be at your side for this."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-09-29, 08:35 PM
One life to save countless others. It is the ultimate sacrifice. I would likely do the same were I in your position, so you have my word. However, is there no other way? Is the coming force truly insurmountable? I would march my army right through the gates of Helheim and meet them on their own soil if that is what is needed I've even brushed up on the language here recently thanks to Aurora's new friend here. Or, perhaps, another conduit. Something else to power the shield, the mana crystals. If they can be attuned to water, or to the abyss, perhaps they could be attuned to life itself?

Erealyn
2017-09-29, 08:49 PM
Jaylyn looked over at Aurix and focused...
"Yes I have Mage's Disjunction and can cast it 3 more times before being depleted. Yes that is a Cockatrice egg, Markas, Zeet, Drok, Hervir, and myself went and got it for a spell...that spell."

Jaylyn then shifted her gaze from Aurix to Hervir. "Umbears right, as is Markas and Gorrun. If vitality is needed to power the spell, why not simply ask us. I can not, and will not, speak for the other but I'll gladly give up some of my Vitality to help power this spell. I have to think bout Varrock as well and if the barrier fails she's in danger too." Jaylyn said relaxing the grip on her staff before turning to Geiravor, "As Umbear said, I'll follow your orders to the best of my power."

Wolfykins
2017-09-29, 09:00 PM
"I understand where you're coming from, Hervir, even if I don't like it," Aurora said with a sigh. She looked over at Gorrun with sad eyes.
"I don't think there's time to research anything new at this point. I doubt Hervir would make this decision lightly."

"Wow," Aistriú said somberly, feeling humbled, "that's a big risk. So if I understand what you're saying... you're going to contain the whole nation so the demons are restricted to Juvelnord's borders? That puts the people of Juvelnord at risk, but... I think I get it. If you confined just the tower, nobody would be able to get to the fiends to beat them back, so when they inevitably broke through, nothing would've been accomplished after all... or they might have another way out of the tower than the door, so it would be a waste. If you contained just the city or part of the city, it would concentrate the hordes into such a small area that they would overrun the small area and destroy everyone and everything within. By encapsulating the entire nation, it gives them space to spread out, and thus spread thin, making them easier to combat, so they're less likely to do as much damage to any given area... especially if their goal is to reach your barrier to try and break through it to the rest of the world, then they'll be focusing on fanning out as quickly as possible, which will likely put them in less-populated areas."
The tiny fey pinched the bridge of her nose and let out her breath in a whoosh as she ran her hand over her forehead and through her long bangs.
"It's risky all-around, but I get it... You risk yourself to give the Hero's Tourney heroes a chance at actually being able to keep the threat at bay. And you risk all of Juvelnord for the sake of the rest of the world."

Aurora sucked in a breath. "That's a big responsibility, but I daresay it will be easier to try and protect just one nation than the entire world, though I'm sure there are those in Juvelnord who will certainly not appreciate that."

Andrew Markham
2017-09-29, 09:06 PM
Aurix's expression turns grim as he hears the news, then mentally comes to terms with what he's heard. It was not far from what he had expected. Torilee senses Aurix's emotions hardening as he shifts into a more pragmatic, adventurer frame of mind.

"I'm...not hearing that Hervir has to die to cast this spell. It sounds like you're saying you need our help to turn it off once it's done, or then you'll die. And absolutely, I support this. It's for the good of the world, if what your research says is true. And I believe it. It's exactly the kind of thing we've been warned about. Not to mention, you love this country, and the people in it. It's entirely within your rights to risk your life for it. How could we say no?"

Aurix turns to look at the assembled heroes. His voice is firm, and filled with conviction. His eyes are resolute. "But this doesn't solve the problem- it contains it. And it contains it here, which makes it ours to deal with. It means Juvelnord flooded with possibly ENDLESS armies of demons. There will be no citizens fleeing once this spell is cast." Aurix focuses on Jaylyn. "There will be no returning to Varrock, or any other place, once this spell is cast. All of us will be trapped in here with them, and we won't be coming out until they break past us, or we beat them back."

"I'm not saying this to dissuade you. FAR FROM IT. What I'm telling you is that when we cast this spell, we declare war on the Abyss. Know it. Be prepared for it. Know what the decision you're making means." Finally, he focuses on Geiravor. "It means that every man, woman, and child in this city lives in a battlefield...and that we lead that battle, until we find a way to seal the Abyss back up. We can do this. We have to do this." His gaze softens slightly. "I know it's not what you would want for your people...but we're gonna fight for them too. You tell them what's at stake. Don't shy away from it. We'll be there with you."

Aurix turns to Hervir. "I'm in. How do we help you?"

Milosh13
2017-09-29, 09:25 PM
The catfolk heard everything that was being said and made his decision.

The demons of the Abyss must not be allowed to have their way. I will put everything I have into this fight.

The catfolk then readies himself for whatever is needed of him.

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-29, 10:07 PM
Hervir laughed. "I suppose these walls can't stop you after all."
She walked to Markas. "Once the spell has completed its effects, it will remain as long as it retains durability. To answer the question you all seem to have, no it can't use the vitality of others. It must come from the caster. What I need from all of you is to keep me from losing myself to the magic. Talk to me, hold me, believe in me, love me. Whatever you have to."
"Aistriú knows my thoughts exactly. As does Aurix, and he put it so eloquently. The nation of Juvelnord will be the battlefield. Remember though, the people are born of warriors. We, Juvelnord, are tough enough to survive the coldest of winters. It's been a while, but they will remember war."
Hervir looked to her dear cousin. "So cousin, will you let me help you? she asked with a smile.

Geiravor threw her arms around her cousin and sobbed. After a moment, she pulled away and stared into her green ears and pushed back her blonde curls behind her ears. "This is so... unfair. I basically have to choose the people over you. An impossible choice. Almost an impossible choice. You would have me choose the people. I would choose the people. Hervir, please do not leave us." Tears rolled down the Princess's face. " Hervir... cast the spell."

Hervir nodded. She returned to Markas. "A kiss for good luck?" she asked. She leaned in and pressed her lips against his, wrapping her arms around him. She dared not linger a second more as she pulled away and took her post at the lipped table. Holding out the spoon, she took a deep breath and sang.

Oh the hero comes
I can hear the drums
And the horses drawn
To the kingdom come
Through the pale moonlight
Our hearts ignite to the call

Claim your prize
For a crown of stars
In the name of love
Be the sacrifice
You and I will stand and fight
Our backs to the wall

And that vocal component, she swung the silver spoon sideways to the egg causing an audible crackle.

Wolfykins
2017-09-29, 10:07 PM
As the shell of the precious egg split, its contents began to ooze out. Bright, sparkling; a glittery, oozing light shimmering between holy white and mana blue. The light flowed up the spoon and over Hervir's hand and encompassed her whole body and then faded as if sinking into her. Then sparkling blue and white motes began to spark off of Hervir, flowing through the air, some spreading outward, past people, through people. Some motes just drifted straight upward, and soon the outward-drifting ones moved to join them, flowing together, forming a stream. They seemed to be following some unseen path.
The more motes flowed from Hervir, the weaker she became, her life and vitality draining from her.
The stream of light went through the ceiling, following the connection to the mana crystal that kept the repository displaced.
Outside the tower, the giant crystal on the roof grew brighter and brighter, a stream of light shooting from the point at the top and spreading up and arcing outward, a dome of aquamarine blue and silvery white light, swirling like the colors in a bubble. The dome spread further and further, stretching ever closer to the nation's borders.

The mana crystal began to hum. The repository quivered as energy reverberated through it and around it. Everyone could feel it in their teeth, hair standing on end. The humming grew louder and more persistent until there was an audible pop, almost like when one's ears pop at high altitude. The room seemed to shift violently to the side! Tables, chairs, benches and bookcases toppled. Hervir stumbled into Markas and Geiravor's arms.
The motes flowing from Hervir were becoming larger and larger, and she grew paler and weaker as they flowed even more rapidly along the path now binding just her, and not the room, to the mana crystal!
Something seemed wrong about that.

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-29, 10:15 PM
Hervir's breathing was weak and shallow. "Cast through... the crystal to... amplify the spell... to give it the... range... it needed. Never... attempted it before... taking too much energy... too fast." she struggled to get out.

paladin_artea
2017-09-29, 10:35 PM
Markas swallowed an imaginary lump in his throat as Hervir explained what it was she needed to do, and what she needed from him and the others. The tears he was holding back were finally seeing release at Geiravor embracing her precious cousin. When Hervir briefly held and kissed him, he closed his eyes and squeezed her briefly, "I love you," he whispered as she pulled away.

He wiped his eyes and looked on in amazement at the effects of Hervir's spell. It was so beautiful to gaze upon, it was hypnotic until the mana crystal began to hum, then it was just uncomfortable. When the humming crescendoed to a loud pop, the whole world seemed to move. Both he and Princess Geiravor reacted quickly, catching Hervir in their arms.

"Hervir! We're here!" he called to her, stroking her blonde hair and kissing the top of her head, her continuingly paler skin causing more and more worry for the monk, "Geiravor and I both are holding you, the others are still close. We're not leaving you. Don't you dare leave us! Tell us what we need to do!" He turned to the princess, his normally calm demeanor broken into desperation, his cheeks wet with tears, "What can we do? Whatever it takes I'm prepared!"

Andrew Markham
2017-09-29, 10:55 PM
Aurix stares at the motes of light as they do their work. He grows concerned as the room hums, until it pops! Aurix speaks loudly, "She's used the spell to change how mana crystals work! It's pulling energy now! It just broke the connection with the repository! We're in normal time now instead of astral time!"

As Hervir grows more and more frail, Aurix reports again, "The spell is draining away her body's constitution! If we want her to survive through it, she'll need Restoration spells! That'll keep her going, and just might give her a chance to live! Aurora, Geiravor, Jaylyn- anybody! Cast Restoration or Greater Restoration!" Aurix pulls out a bag of diamond dust and begins chanting.

"I wish for the world to change to my whim, I wish for the world to change to my whim...

Limited Wish

3 rounds later, Aurix casts Restoration on Hervir.

Wolfykins
2017-09-29, 11:41 PM
Aurora spread her hands, blinking back tears. "I-I'm sorry, I only have 'Lesser Restoraton', not the regular version, and the 'greater' version is beyond my capacity at this time," she said with great regret. She picked up overturned benches and set them to rights so there was some space to move around again.
"Did anybody get hurt when we shifted back to the material plane?" she asked, trying to focus on something she could actually do something about.

Erealyn
2017-09-29, 11:42 PM
Jaylyn watched as Hervir hugged Geiravor and kissed Markas before performing the spell. Tears flowing down her eyes made the scene blurry for the Kitsune. She used her left arm and wrist to wipe away the tears before saluting Hervir.

Once the spell started, something appeared wrong and Hervir gasped her last message. Jaylyn nodded reaching into her bag, "Wish Diamond" she called out not caring who heard her now. Once she felt the diamond hit her hand she pulled it out and closed her eyes. "I have one better Aurix," Jaylyn said focusing on her most powerful spell, "I wish for a fully charged 'Wand of Restoration'."

Wish

Wolfykins
2017-09-29, 11:44 PM
An elegant ivory wand with a mithral grip suddenly appeared in Jaylyn's hand.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-30, 12:01 AM
Umbear Gathers energy for a moment as he switches his ability to make ramparts for kinetic Restoration, reaching over her places a hand on Hervier.
Replenish [roll0] of a stat drained. eliminates any fatigue that you suffer, and improves an exhaustion condition to fatigued.

"I can do that until I pass out....which... might be never, I may not be able to take your place, but my strength shall hold you up as long as you need"

Concern

He looks to Jaylyn.

"If that is what I think it is... use it sparingly... We dont know how long we have to keep her alive... that spell should fully reviltilize her... I can keep her for a bit... so in bursts when she is getting close, hit her again... would not not be the most effective method Aurix?"

dysmorphia
2017-09-30, 08:23 AM
Kest takes in the scene around him, choosing to remain silent as he follows Aurora and the other heroes. The restorations flying around the room, the panic in several heroes, makes the centaur shake his horned head. He turns to Aurora.

"As expect, am useless here. Should demons break through, better use defeating them." He gestures around the area. "Confined. Tight space. Not good for movement. Better use out there."

His strategic training was telling him to get back to the infected tower, to direct those soldiers left there into better prepared lines of defense. Trenches. Machines of war. Anything but standing around useless.

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-30, 08:25 AM
"Don't use up... anymore... diamonds." Hervir struggled to stand under her own strength. " We'll need them for the war in case someone dies." she said in a single breath. She seemed to have more blue in her cheeks than a moment ago.

Andrew Markham
2017-09-30, 10:17 AM
Aurix grins at Jaylyn's clever use of the Wish spell. "Yes, Umbear, you're correct. That's the most efficient method." Aurix considers for a moment, then grimaces. "However, this still doesn't guarantee she'll survive. Markas, Geiravor, keep talking to her. We'll keep her strength up. Aurora, Kest, secure the entrance and if you have the time, look at what's going on outside. General, you should probably go tell your troops what to expect and reposition them. We'll need a completely new strategy for this. We'll keep healing Hervir, but...if the mana crystal's drain gets steadily stronger, there's still a chance it could drain her completely as the spell nears completion. One way or the other, Hervir, we're going to make sure what you're doing is not in vain- I promise."

Wolfykins
2017-09-30, 10:28 AM
Aurora reached out and gave Kest's hand a light squeeze.
"Hervir was kind to you. Being here for her now, to show her support, that's what she asked for. That's not useless. We just have to do the best we can," she said softly. She wiped tears from her eyes and looked at Aurix and nodded. She went over to the door of the repository and pushed, and... thud. Blinking in surprise, she peered through the narrow opening.
"Uh-oh. Aurix, we have a problem. Remember the size of the tower as we came up? And, uh, the size of the repository? Yeah, um... the repository was too large. We appear to be... um... misaligned with the tower, and I suspect there is probably damage to the tower itself from this," she said worriedly.
"I think there's room for the fey to slip out, if you want a better damage report. But I think we might be somewhat stuck until we can figure out how to knock down this portion of wall that's blocking the door from opening. The good news, for what it's worth, is that it looks to be an interior wall, not an exterior wall, so I don't think we'll fall out of the building or cause a major segment of outer wall to collapse," she said.

Torilee looked at Aurix questioningly. Worry. Fear. Uncertainty.

"Alright," Aistriú said in a wavering voice. "I'll go take a peek."
The danthienne slid off Markas' shoulder and hurried across the room to the door, slipping out of the gap.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-30, 12:43 PM
After seeing his attempts have no effect umbears face goes grim.

" My powers can do nothing for her. Make use of that wand wisely. "

He stands up and moves toward the exit.

" I will scout with ais"

His body pressed against the thin exit as his liquid body squeezes through.

Andrew Markham
2017-09-30, 01:42 PM
As Umbear slips out, Aurix shouts after him, "Look for Warrick down there- pass on the news!"

Erealyn
2017-09-30, 01:47 PM
Jaylyn looked down at the wand in her left hand, then back up to Geiravor and Aurora. "Geiravor or Aurora, would one of you two you prefer to do this. I could do it but I don't wanna run the risk of damaging the wand, or failing to activate it. It seems like an unnecessary risk to me." Jaylyn said holding out the wand for one of either of them to take.

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-30, 02:01 PM
Geiravor snatched the wand from Jaylyn and began to cast the spell.

"Come on. Restore! Restore! Geiravir pleaded.

Brynhildr touched Hervir.

"Thicken her hide, extend her life!"

Bear's Endurance

Wolfykins
2017-09-30, 02:53 PM
Larger and larger motes of light poured out of Hervir and flowed upward. The more vitality the heroes poured into the aasimar, the faster they seemed to flow.

Aistriú slipped back into the room, her expression deeply concerned.
"So, it looks like the repository is significantly too large for the tower. Less than half of the space of the tower is left, and the stairs are gone. The only way out is through windows. I didn't go out and look, but just from what I can judge from here, I think quite a bit of the repository is, like, hanging outside the walls of the tower! I think we have to be careful. If we're careless, we could topple this level of the tower, or even the whole thing! And once we get everyone out, the part of the repository that's hanging out is going to have to be supported by scaffolding as a short-term solution, until we can figure out how to re-link the crystal to the repository so it can be displaced again," the danthienne said grimly.

Erealyn
2017-09-30, 03:44 PM
Jaylyn looked over at the larger members of the group, then down to Geiravor and Hervir. "Okay first problem getting everybody out of the tower and someplace safe." Jaylyn said pacing with her eyes closed. "Doing any damage to the wall could prove bad. So I purpose this. Let me Dimension Door Kest, Aurora, and Gorrun plus Geiravor and Hervir, I don't want to move her by mundane means in her current state. After that I can come back for the others, Unless anybody else has a better idea."

Andrew Markham
2017-09-30, 04:59 PM
"We shouldn't remove Hervir at all until she's done casting. Meanwhile..." Aurix looks at Hervir's magic, and past her. Finally he tisks and shakes his head. "Jaylyn, your plan's not going to work. The barrier is active, and I'm afraid it blocks all access to the Astral Plane. No one's gonna be able to teleport, in, out, or within the barrier. Good news is, I think keeping Hervir's strength up is strengthening the barrier significantly."

"Meanwhile, look at the door; we're basically impaled on one of the tower walls. Our best bet is to blow the repository wall to the right of the door, make it large enough for everyone to get through. Aurora, Kest, Gorrun, I suggest you stay on that side of the room to the left of the door, keep weight on that side of the room. Umbear, if you please!"

paladin_artea
2017-09-30, 06:57 PM
Markas gave looks of gratitude to Umbear and Jaylyn for their attempts to keep Hervir's health up. He felt Hervir struggle to move and he moved to support her wrapping his arm to her side to hold her up, "Hey now, take it easy Hervir! I'm right here. Let me be your legs. It wasn't a waste to use the diamond to help you. You are the most important person in the kingdom right now. You're doing it. It's working. Just keep hanging on."

He spared a glance at Ais and Umbear as they left, "Thanks for trying Umbear, good luck to you both out there." He was now the only one holding the Court Mage as Geiravor desperately used Jaylyn's wand and Brynhidr used her own magic.

"I think it's working, she's looking better. Keep it up ladies!" he said to Geiravor and Brynhildr. Markas dared a smile as larger and faster motes flowed out of Hervir. He kissed her cheek and spoke encouragingly in her ear, "Just a little longer my love. You can do this. I believe in you, I trust you. I'm waiting for you to come back to me. We all are. We need you."

Wolfykins
2017-09-30, 07:03 PM
Aistriú looked at Markas and Hervir, and swallowed a lump in her throat. She looked at the increasing flow of energy and then back at the couple. Softly, she began to sing. No magic in it, just music. She stepped closer to Hervir and Markas, slowly increasing her volume as she drew near. She remembered the words Hervir used for her spell, and something about them clicked with her, so she sang those words, filling in the rest of the song as she went, seeming to pull them purely from inspiration.
Perform (song): [roll0]

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-30, 07:04 PM
Hervir's heart was overflowing with joy as everyone made an attempt to save her. She felt strong enough to stand tall. She trembled as she struggled with the magic. Tears rolled down blue dimples and over her big smile. "It lifts my heart to have you all work so hard to save me." Magic was still surging, however, as Hervir took Markas in her arms once more and kissed him. The kiss lingered of a long moment before Hervir pulled away and grasped Geiravor's hands. With shaky hands, her green eyes stared into Geiravor's worried face. "I heard your Mage's Decree. I knew you would rise to the occasion. I look forward to see what you do next."

Hervir sensed something behind her and looked back. She sighed deeply, now knowing the outcome of her loved ones' efforts. She stepped away from them all. Suddenly, an enormous mote of energy shot upward from Hervir's chest. She convulsed as vitality drained from her. Her complexion paled to a muted blue-gray. The motes of light began to thin, and Hervir was able to steady herself and hold her gaze on the others. "Thank you for everything. You have and will sacrifice, much for this mission. Look to the past..." Her breathing became labored. "...For your answers to the... present." She gasped for air but smiled. "The Valkyries come to take me to Valhalla. I make Freya proud this day." The thinning lights flowing out of her picked up again, and streamed out of her, this time from her back. She collapsed into Markas' arms. She stared up at him with eyes that had lost their shine. She weakly pressed her right hand to his cheek. "Markas... thank you... for letting me... love... one... last... time..." she trailed off as one last mote of energy erupted from her mouth, brightest of all the motes. With that, Hervir's hand collapsed to her side, lifeless.

Wolfykins
2017-09-30, 07:07 PM
The last of the mana blue and holy white light flowed up and out through the mana crystal. As the last bit of light flowed out of the crystal and into the barrier around Juvelnord, the crystal made one, loud, pure chime as if a heavenly bell rang once. And then all was still.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-09-30, 07:51 PM
Umbear points to the wall, right where Aurix Indicated.

"Everyone should clear away from the wall. "

He waits a moment, giving everyone time to heed his warning, He gathers energy before blasting the wall with dark energy.

Water Blast + Negative Energy Adamixture. Empowered and Maximized.
[roll0]

172 Damage to the Wall. He grunts a low growl at the wall.

saddness

Andrew Markham
2017-09-30, 07:55 PM
Aurix draws in a deep breath and lets it out. He suppresses the urge to speak his first thought, and instead begins nodding slowly. Aurix knows she died the death of a warrior doing her duty...but he also knows that Markas and Geiravor won't want to hear that right now. He strains his ears, and all he hears is silence. It's as if the gods themselves are honoring this moment. So Aurix pushes down his urge to run out and check on the demon situation and watches, his face betraying not a single emotion.

When Umbear knocks down the wall, he turns his attention there. He locks eyes with Umbear, then nods once and glances towards Hervir. He says nothing.

EdgeGrinder
2017-09-30, 08:00 PM
Geiravor collapses to her knees in a howling wail. With her chest to her knees, tears flow from her face and onto the floor below. She balled her fists and pounded the floor a few times.

Brynhildr silently cried, facing away from the others.

Wolfykins
2017-09-30, 08:08 PM
Torilee buried her face in Aurix's hair, tears spilling out of her big blue eyes.

Aurora pressed one hand across her mouth and wrapped her other arm across her ribs. She closed her eyes and held her breath, trying to keep from crying, but tears squeezed out of the corners of her eyes, no matter how tightly she held them shut.

Aistriú stopped singing when the mana stone chimed like a bell. She stared at Geiravor, Markas and Hervir in shock. She'd never seen anyone die right in front of her like that. She didn't know what to think or feel, and just stood rooted in place.

dysmorphia
2017-09-30, 08:28 PM
Seeing this ... Hevrir ... give her life like this was rather odd. But Kestejoo had seen no one do this before... for anyone. He saw how Aurora reacted, though, and had no thoughts of appearance or anything. He immediately went to he and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pressing his horse flesh against her own.

"... I am sorry for your loss, Aurora..." He did not even think about the false resurrection in his spell repitoire. It would have been a rather bad thing, honestly.

Erealyn
2017-09-30, 08:47 PM
Jaylyn watched as the scene unfolded before her. Once Hervir's lifeless hand dropped for the last time. "No...
no... not again." She said with renewed horror. "I couldn't save her, just like I couldn't save them...my magic was...not...strong...ENOUGH!!!" The last word was more of a mixture of a human wail and a foxes howl.

Jaylyn just dropped to her knees, her staff falling from her hand, hitting the floor with a thud. Tear's flowed from the Kitsune's eyes, down her cheeks before dropping on her knees. Lost in her own thought's she didn't even hear Umbear's blast. She just stayed there, kneeling and sobbing, looking off into space.

After what seemed like an eternity, but was really a few moment's Jaylyn looked over to the table where Hervir stood and saw Tricey in the birdcage. Seemly without reason she got back on her feet and walked over to the birdcage. "We can't leave you behind, I don't think your mother would approve." she said in almost a eerily calm voice.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-09-30, 09:18 PM
As soon as Umbear blasted the wall, before the final stones had yet struck the floor Gorrun charged the opening. Reaching the windows at the end of the hallway he braced for impact and slammed his full might into the stones between them.

[roll0] [roll1] sunder bypasses hardness

paladin_artea
2017-09-30, 10:03 PM
Markas allowed himself the glimmer of hope as Hervir was able to get back on her feet and returned her kiss with passion, as brief as it was. After she walked past him and Geiravor however, the warrior's face paled when the largest mote ever erupted from Hervir's chest and she started to convulse "no..." His eyes widened and he moved to her as she was saying her final good-byes, "no no no no... Don't do this to me please!" he caught her as she fell into his arms, "you said if we all worked together...this wouldn't cost you your life." tears streamed down his cheeks as he felt her touch upon his cheek one last time and looked into her eyes as their light was extinguished. "Stay with me...HERVIR!" he wailed, looking towards the heavens as her final mote ascended. He collapsed to the floor, clinging to her lifeless body and shaking them both with his sobs...

Andrew Markham
2017-10-01, 11:27 AM
Aurix pats Torilee on the head. Silently, Aurix moves through the hole Umbear made into the tower. He moves to one of the windows and looks down at the castle grounds, assessing the situation. He searches for somebody else of authority- Warrick, or Genevieve, or even Camille- to relay a message. He casts Message on the first of these he sees, and whispers to them.

Perception: 1d20+37, 49 (Rolled in Dice Thread)

"This is Aurix. Lady Hervir has warned an army of demons will soon pour through that column. They will seek to spread as far as they can into the world. Therefore, Lady Hervir has given her life to put a barrier around Juvelnord, removing it from the rest of the world. Teleportation will no longer be possible. The people and the troops need to be prepared. The demons will move through the city in all directions before leaving to reach the barrier. The General...well, he will be down soon."

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-01, 12:39 PM
Umbear watches as the General bashes himself against the wall, looking to make an exit for the group. He gathers energy before blasting the wall with dark energy.

Water Blast + Negative Energy Adamixture. Empowered and Maximized.
[roll0]
172 Damage to the Wall. He grunts a low growl at the wall.

"There you go General..."

Lament

Andrew Markham
2017-10-01, 03:48 PM
Genevieve, head of the City Guard, is staring up at the large room sticking out of the West Tower trying to figure out whether it's about to fall when a voice whispers in her ear.
Aurix winces as Genevieve's voice shouts over the link, "SON OF A WHORE!!" Aurix whispers back, "Whisper, please, whisper!"

"Sorry, Dragon Man, but whispering is not my normal response to an army of demons!" Genevieve hisses. "How long do we have?" she asks curtly.

"No idea," Aurix responds. "Let's use every minute."

Genevieve walks away. She marches towards her guards and draws her two short swords. "Get over here you bastards!!!" Genevieve waits while her guards form up. Then she says, "All right, I just got word from the Princess and the Champion up in the tower. We're about to be invaded by demons, and they could be here any minute! You've got 5 seconds to worry about it, and then we're getting to work! ONE!!!" As the Suli Guard Captain counts loudly, the troops begin to look at each other and mull about. Finally she says, "FIVE- form up!" The troops go silent again. "We're implementing invasion procedure, but in reverse! Squad 1, get anybody who was off-duty back on! Squad 2, get all the soldiers on the castle grounds to form a perimeter around the East Tower until the General gets back down here! After that, get messengers to the walls to prepare for siege from within! The rest of you, head into the city and wake the town up! Anybody who wants to fight gets a weapon and reports in. Otherwise, they head for the castle or one of our defense posts. Once those are full, they head to the outposts outside the city! Let's move, move! We don't know how much time we have!"

Milosh13
2017-10-01, 06:04 PM
Seeing Hervir's last moments was something that the catfolk was hoping that he wouldn't have to see. He hides his face behind the hood of his cloak and holds back his emotions. It was an honor to have met you and your sacrifice will not be in vain. I will be sure to remember your bravery but right now we have other concerns, the catfolk thought to himself. At that moment, the explosion of the wall pulled his attention.

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-01, 09:24 PM
Geiravor pushed herself back to her feet. She wiped away her tears with the sleeves of her blouse. She walked over to Jaylyn. "Thank you for using a Wish." she whispered. She bent down and poked her finger through the cage. "Hello little cutey. We will take care of you now." she cooed.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-01, 11:01 PM
Gorrun only managed to chip the wall, but then instinctively reeled back just as Umbear's wave of energy blasted away about half the wall. The General, lacking in fancy magic tricks set to work again the way he knew how. He drew his weapons and laid into the remaining stonework standing in his way.
[roll0][roll1] Sunder w/shield, ignores Hardness.
[roll2][roll3] Sunder BE Falcion
[roll4][roll5] Sunder Scimitar
[roll6][roll7] Sunder Survival knife.
[roll8][roll9] Sunder w/shield, ignores Hardness. CRIT, ADD 54 DMG.

[roll10][roll11] Sunder BE Falcion
[roll12][roll13] Sunder Scimitar
[roll14][roll15] Sunder Survival knife.
[roll16][roll17] Sunder w/shield, ignores Hardness.
[roll18][roll19] Sunder BE Falcion
[roll20][roll21] Sunder Scimitar
[roll22][roll23] Sunder Survival knife.
[roll24][roll25] Sunder w/shield, ignores Hardness.
as soon as the wall reaches 0hp and crumbles, he will cease the attack and proceed as follows

After the opening was large enough, Gorrun leapt out of the hole and began to plumit the nearly 100' to the ground. Suddenly he activated his boots of flight and began to soar. He flew to the upper terrace of the castle keep. A low slow drone filled the air as Gorrun blew upon the castle's horn of war. The sound was akin to an alphorn and carried to all corners of Juvelnord city and even into the neighboring countryside. Three long blasts were sounded to alert the people that war had found it's way to Juvelnord. After that the General flew to the base of the castle where he had left Ravenclaw. The war has claimed its first casualty. The East tower is lost for now and the west tower is badly damaged. Gather your men and man the catapult on the northern siege tower. They'll likely pour forth from the East tower itself, perhaps from the crags surrounding.
Then he flew to the waiting century, Ravenclaw in tow. He stopped to address the two Ksatha twins. The war has begun, the evil legions march on us as we speak. Prepare for battle. Line your archers along the parapets and have the pikemen manning the trebuchets on the mural towers. he turned then to the half elf bard who had been his bannerman. I need you to man the ballista on the arsenal tower, just in case the abyss belches forth any fliers. You'll be supporting the archers. of his three Druids, he asks Will you begin to use your stone and wood shape spells to support that building? he points up to the repository hanging precariously off of the eastern side of the western tower. The three treefolk look at one another, then back at Gorrun. I, I'm sorry sir, but that is beyond our abilities. We will fetch the druids of the grove, their skill far surpasses our own. Gorrun nodded in approval then looked to the horsemen. Mounted cavalry: remain near to the main gate. Should any demonic legionares pour forth from the gate, run them down.

Erealyn
2017-10-02, 09:26 AM
Jaylyn looked over briefly when spoken too, seeing it was Geiravor, she went back to looking at Tricey. "Oh uhh yea yea sure." Jaylyn said in her calm but monotone voice, looking down at Geiravor cooing the chick. "This is Tricey, we found it when Hervir, Drok, Zeet, Markas, and myself went to get the egg for the barrier spell. When we got to the nest, this one hatched and looked different from the others, so Hervir took it as well as the egg." Jaylyn explained, turned away from the chick.

Jaylyn place her hand on Geiravor's shoulder gently, and looked over to her. "I'm...sorry for your loss..." Jaylyn said, walking away letting her hand slide off the back of Geiravor's shoulder. Jaylyn walked over to where her staff was, bend down and picked it up. She then walked over to where Markas was holding Hervir's body. She went to put her hand on Markas' shoulder in the same fashion she did Geiravor. However her hand stopped six inches from his shoulder, and hovered there somewhat briefly before Jaylyn shook her head and put her hand back by her side.

Jaylyn walked over to Aistriú and knelt down beside her, "Hey Aistriú, do you need or want a way down to the ground?" she asked.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-02, 10:10 AM
Noticing he now has a way out Umbear looked to the group.

" Unless the Princess has orders, Im going to go on flight patrol... after an 8 hour rest, I can built Ramparts around the west tower. "

He looked down to Ais.

"Would enjoy a second set of eyes, unless you have another place youd rather be. Having someone who can actually report back if I find anything would be great as well. "

Wolfykins
2017-10-02, 10:21 AM
The danthienne looked up at the kitsune with hollow eyes.
"I-I... I have 'Feather Fall', so I... I'll be fine. D-does anyone else need it?" she asked, voice shaky.
She turned to look at Umbear, brow furrowing.
"How can I report back? I can no longer 'Dimension Door'. But if I stay with the others, then if you get angry or scared, I can... let them know," she said.

Aurora wiped her face and sniffed a few times. "I'm... fine. I can fly," she said. She paused, blinked, and then called forth her wings.

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-02, 10:42 AM
Geiravor took the familiar pouch off the table and strapped it to her belt. She opened the cage and took the cockatrice chick in her hands. The baby was silent as she put it in the pouch. She scratched the chick's head. With a deep breath, the Princess headed for the newly made exit and looked back. "So it begins. Juvelnord goes to war." she said sternly. She jumped out of the hole and flew down to the ground below. As the General and Captain began organizing the troops, she observed her army for a moment.

Brynhildr went to Aurora's side. "Help up and a ride down please." the dwarf requested.

Andrew Markham
2017-10-02, 11:07 AM
Aurix flies out of the hole and lands next to Geiravor. He watches the army, unsure of whether he should approach her. He says, "I'm...sorry. I passed the word along to your Captain of the Guard so they could be ready. I...I wanted to give you as much time as you needed." Aurix takes a deep breath and presses on, "We're gonna get through this. I believe in you." A lot of other words flash through Aurix's mind, but they all sound hollow, so he doesn't say any of them.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-02, 11:10 AM
Umbear furrows his brow in contemplation.

"Thats a good point. Yes... That will be a good signal, Listen for the explosions... Ill be sending out alot of them. "

Umbear nods to the rest of the group.

"If I dont see you alive again. Die Well."

Umbear exists the whole and begins using his gravity master ability to soar across the sky 200ft a round jerking to a stop every so often before soaring again, going on patrol around the Western Tower, looking for the start of the invasion from above.

1d20+26 Perceptions ((45 IN DICE ROLLER))

As his shorter length augments began to fade he would stop, gather energy and re-up them without taking burn to ensure he is constantly ready for a fight with demons.

Wolfykins
2017-10-02, 11:15 AM
"Sure," Aurora said quietly, lowering her front half to her knees to give Brynhildr an easier route up. Once the dwarf was in place, she hoisted herself back up.
"Straight to your lab?" she asked.

Aistriú nodded at Umbear. "So, uh, who needs 'Feather Fall' to get down safely?" she asked again.

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-02, 11:32 AM
Geiravor nodded to Aurix. "No, it is fine. I apreciate it. Thank you for everything you did for Hervir. I shall mourn in my own time but for now... war." she replied while looking into his eyes. She put a hand on his shoulder. "It's been a long day and it's quiet for now. I think we need to try and rest while Captain Genevieve guards things here. After some rest and refreshed spell, we stabd a better chance fighting a demon horde." she said, stifling a yawn.

Brynhildr climbed up onto the centaur's back. "Nah, I can find my way. Just to the ground please." Brynhildr replied.

paladin_artea
2017-10-02, 11:51 AM
Markas barely heard when Umbear and Gorrun destroyed the wall, but somehow sensed Jaylyn's hesitant approach, "HUH?" he looked behind him but the Kitsune aloready moved to Ais who was talking to her and Umbear. He looked around the room to see what was going on. It looked like everyone was either already leaving or getting ready to. Markas took a deep breath and moved his head to his sleeve to wipe it clean. "We've got to go" With a bit of effort, he stood to his feet and carried Hervir bridal-style towards the table where her personal effects were. Geiravor already took Tricey, which he was glad for, but he wanted to make sure that they didn't leave behind anything else imporant to Hervir in case this place collapsed. He gently put Hervir on the ground, "I'll get you out of here, Hervir, but I"m sure your cousin will want to go through these." he said, gathering her personal effects as quickly as possible into his bag of holding before gently carrying his lover again and moved towards the improvised exit, "That's...a little too far for me to make it safely. I'll accept a 'Feather Fall' please Ais," he requested.

Andrew Markham
2017-10-02, 12:04 PM
Aurix puts his own hand on top of Geiravor's and squeezes once, in solidarity. He tries his best to convey his deepest empathy through his gaze. "I'd be shocked if the demons gave us a full 8 hours rest, but it's worth trying. I was thinking of finding someone with a Keep Watch spell and reading through Hervir's notes tonight- somebody's gonna have to immerse themselves in history to retrace her steps, and I'm sort of the type- but...if you would prefer not to be alone, I'll be there. The papers can wait."

Wolfykins
2017-10-02, 12:22 PM
Aurora landed with Brynhildr just in time to hear Aurix's comment about rest.
"Actually, I kind of feel like the forces of the Abyss were not expecting this to happen. Just... I dealt with a breach once."
"A possessed arcanist ripped open a small hole between the planes using a corrupted, broken version of a 'Gate' spell he'd researched, with the demon within him's help. There was about twenty or thirty demons waiting on the other side, because they knew it was coming. They poured through the hole as soon as it opened. If they knew this opening was coming, they'd have come through here as soon as it opened as well. So I suspect they may not have been ready for it. Hervir... made it sound like they were... going to be organized. Unusual for the Abyss, given its chaotic nature, but... if there were devils leading the demons, I could see it. But if that's the case, it will take them time to mobilize and come through, just as it will take time for Juvelnord to mobilize its army."
"Those of us who need sleep to regain spells... should try to do so. Sleep may be a rare thing in the coming days, and the mana crystal weapons won't help those who must prepare their spells have more options. I don't suppose anyone knows 'Nap Snack' do they? It's a spell clerics and oracles can use... and it would enable us to get a full night's rest in two hours... but we can only benefit from it once a week."
"Either way, I think we should try to sleep as much as we can, and let the sentries wake us if something happens. If we can get eight hours, great. If not, we're no worse off for having tried..." she shrugged and scrubbed her hand over her nose, her eyes still not completely dried.

Aistriú nodded at Markas. "Alright, the spell will last about a minute and a half, or until you land. So you don't necessarily have to rush, but don't dally too much before you go down, either," she said.
"Land lightly from great height," she said in Sylvan.
Feather Fall

paladin_artea
2017-10-02, 12:36 PM
"Thank you, Ais,"Maraks said softly, "Earlier...your song, it was beautiful as always. Do you want to come down with me?" he asked as he was getting ready to jump.

dysmorphia
2017-10-02, 12:36 PM
After hearing what Aurora had to say, he nodded and went to Aid. "If you have another, I would appreciate Feather Fall as well."

Otherwise, he'd have to waste a summon monster. He had spells for destruction and inflicting pain, but not things to help from this height.

Wolfykins
2017-10-02, 12:43 PM
"No problem," Aistriú said, "it's just a first level spell; haven't used any of those today until now," she said. She repeated the spell on Kest and then herself.
"Last call," she said, "but if I recall, you can fly," she said, looking at Jaylyn. "Uh, what about you, Droktoktor, was it?" the danthienne said, looking at the catfolk quizzically.

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-02, 01:11 PM
"I agree with Aurora. If the demons haven't attacked yet, maybe the opening was as much of a surprise to them as us, but by all means use a Keep Watch in order to study and be able to fight tomorrow. I need... some rest." the Princess explained.

dysmorphia
2017-10-02, 01:18 PM
"I watch tower, rest of you sleep. Will send a messenger if you are... ah, needed." He nodded. Then turned toward Aurora, a smile on his lips. "Sleep." He nodded again, then started toward the opening. He was a little cautious, but he let the trust of another guide him. Kestejoo leapt from the opening and used his vestigial wings to assist the feather fall. Once he was on the ground, he galloped to the tower quickly.

paladin_artea
2017-10-02, 01:30 PM
Markas nodded his thanks and holding Hervir close, he jumped from the tower and looked for Geiravor once he landed. "Princess...Hervir...where should I take her?" he asked softly, not wanting to lose what little control he regained and not wanting the same thing to happen to Geiravor.

Erealyn
2017-10-02, 01:47 PM
Jaylyn got back to her feet and then looked at Ais, "Ah thanks you but I don't need it," she said flexing her wings prepping them, "Even if I didn't have them, I have the fly spell." Jaylyn then walked to the edge and fell, spreading her wings as soon as she cleared the wall and glided down to the ground.

Once Jaylyn land she prepped herself for a fight, and began looking around for any combat. She didn't see any, "Weird, I figured we'd be neck deep in demons already." She said to nobody. "Well I'll take a blessing when I get one. I'll use this time to get some sleep and come up with a plan."

Jaylyn began walking back to the Castle, trying to stay out of every bodies way.

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-02, 01:50 PM
Geiravor looked down at Hervir's body and sighed. "Have someone take her to the nearest Temple of Freya. They will prepare her for her... funeral. After that, get some rest." she patted him on the shoulder. "Thank you."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-02, 02:05 PM
Gorrun landed beside Geiravor just in time to hear Markas' question. The Temple of Freya will prepare the body. We can pull a Skute from the royal fleet to serve. he said matter-of-factly, his tone masking any emotions.
Your majesty, my men are preparing the castle's defenses. Major Daring is rousing the army and arming the vanguard with the weapons the forgemistress has provided. They should arrive any moment. The call has gone out. Every soldier, guard, or able bodied patriot in the city or surrounding reaches should be preparing. We will not fail you. He casts a quick glance at Aurix, Still addressing Geiravor Should the court mage reqire assistance transferring books or reagents to one of the other displaced facilities, I can have servants or pages sent in.

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-02, 02:22 PM
Geiravor looked at Gorrun as she listened and nodded. "Very good, General. Ah yes, I suppose Drasaveil gets... a battlefield promotion. At some point, I will call a battle strategy meeting. Be flexible on your schedule. Do what you must and get some rest or use a Keep Watch spell. I am sure one of your army mages has it." the Princess replied.

Andrew Markham
2017-10-02, 03:54 PM
"I'm interested in addressing the troops at the East Tower before I go rest. Would that be acceptable, General?" Aurix asks.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-02, 04:33 PM
You attempted to warn us about this coming Darkness. If we had had better understanding, perhaps things would have gone differently. You may speak freely. Gorrun answers.

Wolfykins
2017-10-02, 06:24 PM
Aurora looked like she wanted to say something, but Kest hurried off. So she just sighed, wrapping her arms around her ribs, shoulders lifting.
"Well, I... I guess I'll see you all in the morning, if not sooner," she said finally, and turned to head for the stables, head low.
When she got there, she carelessly tossed her backpack on the counter, a few items that weren't combat-essential spilling out, including a stack of temple vouchers, a bottle of ground herbs bearing a label that looked like sprigs of lilac next to a pile of uncracked peppercorns, and her brush, which still bore long strands of Hervir's darker blonde hair. The centaur stared at the brush for a long moment, until her eyes blurred. She blinked, her vision clearing as the offending tears spilled out of her eyes. Sniffing, she scrubbed at her face with her hand again.
Breathing heavily and unsteadily, she flopped awkwardly to the ground in the next room of her box, choosing to lay on the piles of pillows instead of standing and laying her human-half on the elevated, padded bench designed for such use. But the emotional weight of what had transpired was too much, and even though it wasn't as easy to be ready for action sleeping this way, she opted to take whatever minor comforts she could, for now.

After a moment, Aistriú decided not to risk her spell running out, so she hurried over to the edge of the broken wall, closing her eyes as she drew close to it. Heart pounding, she stepped blindly over the edge and drifted sedately to the ground. She heaved a sigh of relief and opened her eyes as soon as her feet touched the solid stone of the street.
"So... what now?" she asked, folding her arm around her as if she were cold, despite the warmth of the summer night.

paladin_artea
2017-10-02, 08:13 PM
Markas saw Aistirú land nearby looking lost and he walked towards her, "I could use some help...do you know where the nearest Temple of Freya is? If so, please come with me..." he bent down, Hervir still in his arms, but in a way his shoulder was facing the little Fey.

Andrew Markham
2017-10-02, 08:14 PM
Aurix speaks to Gorrun, "While I'm taking to them, you think you can find one of your troops that has that Keep Watch spell? I have some research to do tonight in the Mage's Tower. Thank you, General," Aurix nods once to Gorrun, trying to communicate meaning beyond the current conversation.

Aurix approaches the troops gathered around the East Tower. "Soldiers! Guards! I know you can spare little attention from guarding the tower, but please hear my words."

"On behalf of the heroes, I wish to ask you a boon this night. We believe the Abyss is still rallying its forces. Our leaders plan to meet that force with our own full force. But the heroes need rest. So I ask you: will you stand vigil for us through the night? If they come in full force, call and we'll be there. But if you can stand...we'll be able to unleash our full power on them come morning. I call on you to watch over us, as long as you are able. And in truth, you will be the guardians of not just the heroes, but of all the world in that time. I KNOW that the soldiers of Juvelnord have the fortitude to bear that burden. But I thought someone should have the decency to ask. I want you all to know that your vigil this night means something...and that our absence doesn't mean we won't be there for you. When they come, we'll be at your side. You have my vow." Aurix salutes the soldiers, meeting their gazes.

Wolfykins
2017-10-02, 08:24 PM
Aistriú blinked and looked up at Markas and nodded slowly.
"Y-yeah, the Grand Temple of Freya is due south of here, as the crow flies. Go towards the castle, then turn south, then veer southwest," she said as she pulled herself up onto Markas' shoulder.

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-02, 08:30 PM
Geiravor's spirit was lifted slightly by Aurix's speech. She began to clap for him. Soon, all the soldiers and guards joined in the applause. Some even had the energy to cheer.

Aurix's words seemed to energize the troops and they were ready to get to work.

dysmorphia
2017-10-02, 08:55 PM
As the Champion made his speech, the High Priest shook his head. It was odd to hear such things coming from anyone - but he supposed he should get used to it if he was to be around them for any length of time. He prepared himself for the long watch, reporting in to the highest ranking officer he could find. In his broken speech, he informed the officer that he had volunteered to watch the tower with the soldiers to allow the heroes rest.

"Trouble, I handle. Am good with ... ah, strategy. Will be here, will watch," Kest concluded.

Lumont heard Aurora come in and peaked inside. He saw the spilled contents of the bag, and, well, just couldn't help himself. Once he was certain Aurora slept, he swiped the jar and the diamond he found, debated on the vouchers and the crystals, but left them. The rest of the bag didn't seem to have anything of value that he could tell from a glance, so the slave-warrior left the rest. He returned to his master's room, gathered their gear, and headed to where he assumed his master was. Lumont found Kestejoo among the soldiers and greeted the centaur, then helped his master prepare for the coming battles.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-02, 09:03 PM
Umbear stops looking over the tower to listen to the champions speech. He hovers over and speaks to his mind.

Well Said Champion. Keep it up. They need all the heroes they can get now.

Umbear heads to his room in the castle to take his 8 hour rest.

relax... calm...weary

Wolfykins
2017-10-02, 09:10 PM
"Seems Umbear's gone to bed," Aistriú informed Markas as they made their way to the temple. "You should... do the same... after this. Though I'm sure it won't be easy..."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-02, 09:36 PM
Gorrun watches as the Vanguard starts filtering in, the first line of defense on any skirmish, the soldiers that are trained to look death in the eye and press on without flinching. Aurix's words seem to wash over them with mixed reviews. However when the Auxiliary was spotted moving in, Gorrun flew out to meet them searching for a qualified mage with knowledge of the requested spell.

One of the Vangard Captains took advantage of his absence and strode toward where Aurix and Geiravore stood. A stout dwarven man with hair and beard as red as molten steel, black gritty soot smeared across his face and the stump of a lit cigar clinging to his lower lip. He is wrapped in well worn leather armor and has a freshly forged double bearded battle axe strapped across his shoulders. He took a knee in front of Geiravor and lowered his eyes in respect for her position then he stood. He looked up at Aurix, his right eye slightly squinting. Aye, we'll stand vigil, "Hero's Champion" we will do our duty, fear ye not. But know that it is duty and love for Juvelnord that we stand for. We're not here because some "hero" needs their beauty sleep lad. We're here because we were forged in the fires of Juvelnord and we are her shield and sword. We're here because she is worth fighting for. We're here because no invading force is welcome in our home and we aim to make damned sure they are sent back to whatever pit they crawl out of with their tails between their legs. So you go right ahead and rest your little head. There are soldiers watching over you this night. He bows to the princess and makes his way back to rank.

Shortly thereafter Gorrun returns with an elven woman in a loose dress like uniform belted in various places around her body. This is the one I told you about. He needs to rest his mind and use it, simultaneously. Can you provide him with a spell to allow him to keep watch while resting his magic ability? Sir, of course sir came her reply and she cast the spell on Aurix. Yourself sir?
I'll be fine. I don't need magic, just a steady flow of coffee

The officer informed Kest that he should make his intentions known to Gorrun if he intended to volunteer.

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-02, 09:47 PM
Geiravor turned to Markas. "You don't have to do this, Markas. I can have some else take her to the temple." she said. "I will take her personal effects with me." Geiravor offered.

paladin_artea
2017-10-02, 10:26 PM
"Seems Umbear's gone to bed," Aistriú informed Markas as they made their way to the temple. "You should... do the same... after this. Though I'm sure it won't be easy..."

Markas looked sadly at Geiravor,
"I don't have to...but I want to...I promise I'll try to get some sleep after...oh...her things..." he reached into his bag of holding that was tied to his belt and one-handedly gave the Princess Hervir's personal effects. "if you will excuse me..." he did his best to bow and took Aistirú with him towards the temple.

As he traveled to the temple with Aistirú riding on his shoulder he addressed the Danthienne's concern, "No Ais...it won't be easy to sleep tonight..."

Once they arrived at the temple, Markas located the head acolyte and gave them custody of Hervir's body, "She deserves the best! She's Princess Geiravor's cousin, best friend, and closest advisor. She knew dark times are coming and gave her life to protect the kingdom she loved so dearly. I'm also sure she saw the Valkyries come for her in her last moment," he started to get teary eyed, "I don't mean any disrespect, I just wanted to make sure she gets the care she deserves..." he bowed respectfully as he departed the temple, heading back to the castle, and turned again to his friend, "one more thing...I know you miss your arm, even though you pretend not to... you should let Jaylyn help you...it would help her just as much...I think she could use any kind of victory right now... anyway I know I need to sleep...do you have a spell or song or something to help?"

Andrew Markham
2017-10-02, 10:49 PM
Aurix blinks at the speech from the dwarf. He makes to answer, but the dwarf leaves. "Well now I just feel like a prick," he says to no one in particular. Aurix sighs. "I just...felt like someone ought to ask. It's not right for us to run off and rest while others work in our steads." Aurix grimaces. "But then, soon we'll all be tired."

Aurix turns to Torilee. "I'm heading back into the Mage's Tower, albeit very slowly, so as not to break the Keep Watch spell. I need to start reassembling Hervir's notes, magic and history, and it's gonna be more than a one night job. I'd like you nearby, but you also need rest. You can find a corner in the tower, or take the key to my room in the castle and get some real rest. Whichever suits you." Aurix slowly heads back into the Mage's Tower.

Once within, he shakes his head. The whole place is a mess, but he knew he would have to conquer it. One of the last things Hervir had said was, "Look to the past to find answers in the present." Aurix intended to do just that in her stead. Barring the dislocation of the repository, surely Hervir would have had some kind of filing system, or left her notes in such a way that they could be found. It was the work of the night for Aurix to put himself into Hervir's shoes, learning her methods, and find the trail of breadcrumbs she might have left behind. Aurix slowly climbed the tower, being careful not to overtax himself. The most important things, he reasoned, would be either on the top floor or near her quarters. If he was wrong, hopefully he'd find clues leading him elsewhere. The top floor first, Aurix decides. Let the quarters remain undisturbed for now.

Aurix spends the whole night scouring the top floor for papers and books. He reorganizes, stacking or shelving by topics he needs to be aware of. Aurix searches for clues for a couple of topics. He needs to know more details about the nature of the barrier spell: how it was created, the nature of the barrier, ways to strengthen it and protect it from attack, ways to be aware of an attack on the barrier, and what happens in the event of a breach.

Aurix searches for information on the history of the Heroes' Tournament. The demons weren't prepared for the breach, which means it may have been coordinated only on this side. He suspects strongly that this breach must have been sealed in the past and forgotten about, and likely during the solstice. Everyone kept saying what a coincidence it was that this should take place during the Heroes' Tournament, and that evil must have been foolish indeed to plan such a large event for that time. But WAS it a coincidence? Aurix investigates his theory that the tournament was created to ENSURE heroes would be present when the breach opened again.

Related to that, Aurix searches for prophecies that might be related to these events. Hervir had mentioned this as well, a prophecy about Geiravor. He also recalls how several people commented on the fortune of having two Aasimar born to the same royal family. Considering Hervir's end, perhaps it wasn't fortune at all, but the will of the gods. Such a will would be recorded in prophecy, and there might be more hints therein.

Lastly, and more fruitlessly in his estimation, Aurix searches for any information Hervir had about the Abyss and its inhabitants. If one specific such was linked to this "breach", it would be recorded somewhere in Juvelnord's history. Any major threats coming out of that breach would be beyond the common soldier, and the heroes need to be prepared for those.

As the soldiers stood vigil through the night, Aurix worked by candlelight in the shattered Mage's Tower. He scrounges through the books and parchments looking for tiny pieces of an immense puzzle, and does so until the sun rises again.

Erealyn
2017-10-02, 10:51 PM
Jaylyn made it back to the castle and to her room, again trying to stay out of every bodies way. Only nodding to whom she passed. Once she got to her room, she sat her bags on the table and propped her staff beside it. Then she flung herself on her bed face down and began to cry into her pillow. The event of the past couple hours kept replaying in her head over and over again. What could she have done differently to prevent her friend from dying, and was she really as strong as she thought she was, was the two thoughts that kept cropping up to the surface of her mind. Its those thoughts made her keep up the tears until she cried herself to sleep.

Wolfykins
2017-10-02, 10:59 PM
The acolytes and several priestesses came forth to collect Hervir with grave solemnity. Several of the younger acolytes murmured condolences.

Aistriú shook her head. "There's more reason now than even before for Jaylyn not to use a diamond for something like this," she said softly. "It doesn't hinder my spellcasting, and you guys could well end up needing those diamonds to restore life to those who fall, which is much more important than the vanity of a tiny fey."
The danthienne sighed.
"Sorry, I've never had much luck with sleep spells... they seem to only work on very weak creatures. I know no bardic performances that could do it either. But I could just... sing. Just a mundane lullaby. Sometimes, just pure music has its own sort of magic. A magic of the heart and soul, that requires no arcane or divine gifts to create. Some of the most talented musicians of all time were simple minstrels, and not magical bards at all," she said quietly.

"I'll stay, hey," Torilee said somberly. "I'll sleep if I can, but, I have only cast cantrips today, so, hey, unless you think I'll need something other than what I prepared today, hey, I don't really need to recover spells," she pointed out.

The brownie scurried around the wrecked repository, turning things over to right them if she was strong enough to do so. She attempted to stack fallen books and papers in an orderly fashion where possible. But she was nervous, as even cleaning up had tended to have bad results when she was still trying to find her place. Eventually, she curled up on one of the chairs still upright and fell asleep.

paladin_artea
2017-10-02, 11:38 PM
"Your mundane songs are still magical to me my friend... I'd like that," Markas said as they arrived at his room. Not feeling up to the task of fully changing his clothes, he just removed the outer items that would be uncomfortable to sleep in before climbing into bed and letting Aistirú's song soothe him as best it could, "you're a good friend...thank you..." he said as he drifted off to sleep...

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-03, 08:24 AM
Geiravor went to her quarters, dressed in her sleep clothes, made a nest for Tricey out of pillows and blankets, collapsed on bed, and cried herself to sleep.

With a heavy heart, Brynhildr returned to her lab to resume her regularly scheduled operations.

Wolfykins
2017-10-03, 09:16 AM
Aistriú sang an old Sylvan lullaby for Markas until he was asleep. (Sung to the tune of "Hush Little Baby")
"I see the moon, the moon sees me
shining through the leaves of the old oak tree
Oh, let the light that shines on me
shine on the one I love.

Over the mountain, over the sea,
back where my heart is longing to be
Oh, let the light that shines on me
shine on the one I love.

I hear the lark, the lark hears me
singing from the leaves of the old oak tree
Oh, let the lark that sings to me
sing to the one I love,

Over the mountains, over the sea
back where my heart is longing to be
Oh, let the lark that sings to me
sing to the one I love."
(Taking 10) Perform (song): 45

Then Aistriú crept through the mouse hole-like tunnels back to her own sleeping place. She laid on her pilfered down pillow for a long time before she was able to fall asleep herself, as much because of the sleep she'd gotten earlier as because of what had transpired. Eventually, she rolled over and went to sleep, heart heavy.

Milosh13
2017-10-03, 12:07 PM
Seeing everyone going their different ways, Droktoktor decides to return to his room to attempt to sleep.

dysmorphia
2017-10-03, 01:20 PM
The centaur nodded, donned the vest his servant brought, and took the bow in hand. He'd been quite good at the festival, so he hoped he'd be just as good now. Kestejoo trotted through the troops until he found the hulking general.

"General...ah, Gorrun, Yes? Am known as Kest, High Priest. Have not used spells this day... Will keep watch. Demons...specialty of mine."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-03, 06:22 PM
Gorrun nods to Kest Help is always welcome. I expect more volunteers to present themselves over the next few days. High priest you say? A high priest that rends flesh with a razored chain? Interesting. I've noticed you following Aurora around, but I don't recall you ever mentioning what brought you to the city.

[roll0] P
[roll1] KN

dysmorphia
2017-10-03, 06:38 PM
"A sacred mission," Kest replies, though remains tight lipped on the details. "Know this helps Aurora, so am happy to do." His eyes turned toward the tower and it's dark energies, a frown on his lips. A shake of his silvered head, and he turned back to Gorrun.

"Do not like this. Feels... ah, what is word... angry?" He shook his head. "No, not angry... old... dark..."

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-03, 07:51 PM
After having made sure all the people of her temple were taken care of Sharra made her way back toward the east tower to see what she could do to help. Sighting General Gorrun she makes her way over, her gems glittering from the torchlight.

"General. Is there anything I can do to help? Do your men need food while they keep watch? I can brew some thinking drought... Help figure out what's happening ?"

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-03, 08:51 PM
Gorrun looks at Kest with a squint in his eye. I know the common tongue is difficult for you, and circumstances make it a bad time to be heard conversing in the pit tongue. Is there another language you would be more comfortable with? I have studied the native dialects of every people I have encountered, the chances are good I can understand whichever you know. It is a good practice for a general to be able to read and interpret any correspondence that he comes across, as well as to recognize even vaguely familiar symbols at a glance.

When Sharra approached, Gorrun sighed. The war has claimed its first casualty. Mere minutes after you had offered your services, Juvelnord found herself needing them and unable to send word in time. The Court Mage, Lady Hervir has crossed the bridge to Asgard. I can keep the men motivated and awake, but I can do nothing to feed them. If you can provide this service you will be serving the kingdom in a time of great need. Something even the drunken god is sure to take note of.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-03, 09:32 PM
A look of sorrow washes over her.

"May the Valkyrie take her in hand. "

Sharra counts to herself. As gorrun accepts the offer.

" I can give heroes feast to the 105 who need it the most. It takes an hour to eat. I'll prepare a feasting section over here. Send me 15 at a time, 7 waves over the next 7 hours and well get these boys fed. If any have... Been made I'll by... Partying too hard send them to me, I'll fix them up and back to their duties. "

Sharra moves off to the side and begins casting 1/7 heroes feasts for the troops. Afterward she looks out for any that need medical attention or a heal spell to remedy any ailment they may have. She will work the next 8 hours to ensure the army is in tip top shape.

dysmorphia
2017-10-04, 08:36 AM
A bit of surprise crossed his face, but Kest offered a small smile.

"Undercommon, I suspect, you understand. Being so near a compound of Underdwellers, I mean."

Kestejoo shifted on his hooves as his eyes studied the tower enveloped in the dark energies, his feeling of discomfort growing with his anxiety.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-04, 10:23 AM
I do indeed Gorrun Offered. I appreciate you offering your aid in the mines, and here now.

I must admit, I was a bit put off by such an early elimination in the games and I did not see all of the matches, forgive me, I must have missed each of yours. With your absence at the banquets and other ceremonial gatherings, I hadn't realised that you were a third tier contestant.

Gorrun listens to the priestess and watches her get to work. As he stares out over the ten thousand gathering men and women and their beasts, he decides to wait until some begin to show the effects of hunger and inviting those to eat.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-04, 10:46 AM
Once the first Heroes feast is cast and troops begin eating, Sharra gets to work to provide calories for soliders she will not be able to feed with food. She casts Fabricate on the group to create a series of Open Casks to hold 120 Gallons of Water. Fabricate (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/fabricate/)

She then casts Create Water three times to fill the Casks with water.
Create Water (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/create-water/)

She then moves across the Barrels blessing them in the name of Cayden
Tears to Wine (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/tears-to-wine/)

She looks to Gorrun.

"All the men who wont be able to eat the feast tonight, send them to me in turn for a Ration of Mead to fill their bellies. If they are Soliders of Juvenrod, a Ration of Mead shouldnt even phase them on their duty. Cayden's mead will sharpen their senses"
+10 to Int and Wisdom Checks for 150 Minutes

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-04, 11:15 AM
Gorrun draws his tankard and dunks it in the first vat. He lifts a pint of mead to his lips and drinks it down with a gulp. Yes, this will do nicely. he motions for the soldiers to begin filing through to recive their ration. After the remaining 2,879 pints had been served he looks to Sharra. Could you do that three more times?

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-04, 11:37 AM
Sharra smiled, giving blessings to soliders as they received their rations.

"Of Course General. Cayden's Blessings when it comes to mead is quite bountiful. "

Sharra repeats this process another 3 times as the barrels fully emptied out. As the fourth round was emptied Sharra began to rub her hands.

"I can make more Mead, but it wont be as blessed as the mead Ive served so far. Let me know what else you may need, and I'll see if Cayden can provide"

dysmorphia
2017-10-04, 12:17 PM
At the General's words, Kest blinked and tilted his head, confusion clear on his face.

"I'm sorry? I don't know what you mean. I did not fight in the tournament.
But why would you ask this?"

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-04, 05:14 PM
Get some rest Priestess. You may be called upon to tend the wounded far too soon. Gorrun bows his head to respectfully dismiss Sharra.

Gorrun shows a bit of confusion of his own.
Your bow, and the vest you're wearing bear the maker's mark of the crafters that were commissioned to craft the tournament prizes. The prizes were inventoried before the tourney, so I ruled out your involvement with the rebels who attempted to hijack the shipment. None of the contestants have reported any thefts to my knowledge, so I was left only with the possibility of you competing and me strangely missing each of your bouts. Perhaps you purchased these items from the tourney through Aurora?

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-04, 08:02 PM
Sharra Bows in return.

"Yes General. I'll be returning to Cayden's Temple, Please send a runner if you need support."

Sharra turns to heads back to her temple.

dysmorphia
2017-10-04, 08:37 PM
Understanding now, Kestejoo shakes his head.

"No, I was not a contestant... my servant came upon the items and there has been little time to seek out anyone who could tell me to whom they belonged. I do hope once this is all over to return the items... but I have a feeling, for now, we will require all the help we can get. I have other items that are of little use to me, and I offer these up to your soldiers. Otherwise, these items will just go towards funding the Lord's Order, and unless we get out of this alive, the Order will not see them."

Kestejoo motioned for Lumont to bring the bags forward, but waited for an response before giving him further instructions.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-04, 09:04 PM
Gorrun nods
I see. Look, I personally don't give a damn where you got them. No one has reported them missing, so there's nothing to concern me. If you use them in defense of Juvelnord, in my eyes, you will have earned them. As far as donations for the war effort, those are always welcomed.
Gorrun motions toward the front lines and the red bearded dwarf comes trotting over. Hannibal, take a look at what the hired man here is offering, see if your boys can put it to use. The dwarf grunts Aye Sir, will do.

Gorrun raises his Lord's Banner high into the air and waves it to rouse the soldiers and keep them alert. He moves toward the tower keeping just far enough away to avoid contact with the mysterious energy. Then he kneels and places his hand on the ground for a moment asking just above a whisper to seemingly noone sense anything?

My ring has 120' blindsense, can I empathicly sense whether it senses anything subterranean?

dysmorphia
2017-10-04, 09:23 PM
The centaur nodded and quickly instructed Lumont to show the dwarf the items. Then, Kestejoo turned back to Gorrun.

"I hope you understand something... I help you in this because it helps Aurora. I do not do this for your city. Your city... has dragged me from my Temple. From the life I knew. Your city has shown me temptations and corruptions, and I want nothing to do with it. Once Aurora is safe... and once my mission is complete... I will leave and return to the work of my Lord."

He knew, though, that returning to the Order would never be the same. That he would never be the same. Not after all he had seen and experienced.

bracers of armor +1
robe of needles
headband of mental prowess +2 (wis/cha, knowledge martial)
ornament of healing light
bane baldric

muleback cords
belt of thunderous charging
doomharp
bottle of messages
meridian belt

dry load powder horn
bracers of steadiness
glowing glove

Wolfykins
2017-10-04, 09:51 PM
Some of the heroes went to bed with heavy hearts, while others kept themselves busy to distract from the heartache. The short night seemed ever so much shorter in the grief. Tension was palpable in the air around the tower.

The heroes who slept woke to a beautiful summer day on the low end of hot, sunny and clear, bitterly belying the circumstances within the blue-and-white, bubble-like dome.
Inclement weather expected. Cloud coverage, rain, cooler temperatures.
The weather is expected to be normal for the season, with temperatures in the upper 80's with clear skies.
The weather is expected to be normal for the season, with temperatures in the upper 80's with clear skies.
A hurricane was spotted out at sea several days ago, and is expected to make landfall today! Expect extreme wind and rain all day!
Possible continuation of effects from the hurricane! Might die down to normal rain, lasting all day.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/22218236_10210524665894194_2468989057310425311_o.j pg?oh=1424c2b413e8ddded3a89ecc699da2a1&oe=5A3F56FE

Since you didn't sleep, you are fatigued for the day.

Though anticipation was high, there was still no sign of emerging demons... yet.

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-04, 10:17 PM
Geiravor awoke groggy and depressed. She rolled over to the side of the bed to pet Tricey. "Morning, baby bird. Did you eat all your food? We can get you some more." she cooed.

Andrew Markham
2017-10-05, 08:53 AM
Aurix sits on the floor of the top floor of the Mage's Tower, surrounded by stacks of papers. Torilee sleeps in a corner. Aurix rubs his eyes as he feels the spell keeping him awake begin to wear off. He begins to meditate, allowing his body's spell energy to replenish. After 15 minutes of this, Aurix opens his eyes. Torilee begins to stir. Aurix rises and stretches, working out the kinks in his muscles. Then he moves over to her and begins casting his morning spells. He realizes that some of them are still active from having been cast yesterday afternoon, and leaves those there.

Spells already there:
Second Chance- recast during the dueling
Moment of Prescience- recast last night after studying "breach"

New spells cast:
Greater False Life- [roll0] temp HP for 21 hours or until used
Merge With Familiar- Aurix and Torilee can fuse together as a move action for 21 hours
Mind Blank- +8 vs Mind-affecting, immune to scrying and detection magic for 21 hours
Ablative Barrier- converts first 5 points of lethal to nonlethal for 21 hours or until 50 points converted
Grand Destiny- +4 to 4 rolls in the next 210 minutes

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-05, 09:24 AM
Umbear rouses from his sleep with a sweat. Panic
He begins flailing his arms wildly for a moment in his first seconds of being awake before looking around wild eyed.
A cold sweat upon his brown he begins to catch his breath. Calming
It happened again... as it always does... when an ally falls. Nightmares from his childhood, when he killed his entire family. His powers going out of control... those close to him unable to stand against his power unleashed.
He takes a moment, to feel his power... make sure it is still under his control before he inhales and begins to augment himself for the day. Gathering power before pushing it into his defenses.

Ice Armor +12 Armor
Shimmering Mirage: 20% Miss Chance
Earth Defense: DR20/Adamantine
Emptyness: 50% Immune to Crits and Sneak Attack, Negative Energy Resist 20
Fluid Form:

He shakes himself as he reaches to put on his belongings... He pushes out the Window to fly toward the East Tower.

Resolve

He lands near the tower among the troups and spots Gorrun.

"General. You ready for some Ramparts around the Tower to secure a defensive line?"

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-05, 11:44 AM
Earlier....
Gorrun replied to Kest.
Whether you're doing it for Aurora, The city, a sense of duty or one of self preservation, you're still here instead of hiding in a corner somewhere like a coward. That means something. I can respect that.

Gorrun watches the sun rise over the horizon, his nerves begin to still, a false sense of peace seems to rise with it. Tents have been erected along the far side of the park and down one of the adjacent streets. Soldiers begin sleeping in shifts to avoid becoming weary and weakened. He knows it will be hours still until the other heroes arise and join him. He looks to Kest. Looks like rain later. It's always more difficult fighting in mud. Destroys morale, but we'll get through this, somehow. If reports are right, we've got one hell of a storm coming in in a few days.

When Umbear lands beside him Gorrun looks up at the towers. The castle walls and parapets will suffice for defense, but how would you build them? Could your abilities be used to build support scaffolding or buttresses to stabilize that protruding lab?

paladin_artea
2017-10-05, 11:49 AM
Markas woke up but didn't feel rested, his heart still filled with grief over losing the love he just found. He stared at the ceiling a moment before looking out the window of his room and saw the sky being covered in the blue-white energy shield Hervir gave her life to erect. It reminded him why she sacrificed herself and that this was only the beginning. He was needed as were the other heroes. They had a job to do, people to protect, a kingdom to save, a war to win.

Markas nodded to himself and shot out of bed. The next few days will be rough on him, but he promised himself to try and save his sorrow for the private moments that will no doubt be fewer and fewer in number in the upcoming war, though he may not always succeed. He stripped and freshened up as quickly as possible before getting dressed in his more battle-appropriate clothes and geared up. Not having any instruction on where to meet this morning, he decided to try the dining hall where they've shared many meals already.

Wolfykins
2017-10-05, 12:07 PM
Aistriú woke with a start, sensing Umbear's panic. Disoriented, the first impulse was to cast 'Dimension Door', but nothing happened. Blinking, the memories came flooding back. Aistriú shook their head and grabbed the nearest tunic and leggings, heedless of whether or not they matched. Aistriú hurried into the mouse hole tunnels and headed for Umbear's room.
The tunnels being what they were, Aistriú made good time, and arrived at Umbear's room just a few moments later, before he left. A round, decorative element on a corner column in the room swiveled and slid inward, and the danthienne crouched in the opening. Aistriú looked around the room, but saw nothing out of place.
"Umbear, what's wrong?" Aistriú asked, voice still a little groggy.

Torilee woke slowly, at first thinking she was in her usual chair, but gradually realizing the texture was wrong, and there was no light coming in from the window in Aurix's room. She sat up, scrubbing her eyes. She looked around, momentarily confused, and then realized where she was... and why. Tears welled up in her eyes. Blinking them back, she un-braided her now-messy, long, dark red pigtails and combed her fingers through the long waves. She carefully re-parted her hair and re-braided the pigtails in two neat, even plaits. Sniffling, she sat up and looked around for Aurix. When she saw him, she rubbed her fist under her nose and blinked.
"W-what should I prepare today, Aurix? I-I don't know how to prepare for war..."

Aurora woke when the sun had finally reached a high enough point that the light coming in the window shone down at enough of an angle to touch her face. Squinting, she covered her face and laid still for a few moments longer, pulling herself together so she could do her meditation. She took a deep, shaky breath and shoved awkwardly to her feet, a task made more difficult by how yielding the pile of pillows was, preventing her from getting good leverage.
"That's why I don't do that often," she muttered when she finally made it upright.
With a sigh, she stretched, limbering up, extra important after sleeping in an unusual position all night. Then she grabbed her brush off the counter and began to groom herself, slipping into her meditation, putting herself in touch with the Divine Wind, to ready herself for the day.
When that was done, she grabbed her bag, barely noticing the things that had spilled out. She shrugged, not caring if she had the temple vouchers with her or not, and shouldered the bag, which did seem somewhat lighter than usual, and headed for the kitchen. She picked up several loaves of bread and three sacks of pitted cherries, along with two dozen boiled eggs. She didn't know who would or wouldn't have grabbed breakfast for themselves yet. She popped cherries from one sack in her mouth as she trotted from the kitchen towards the tower to see who was there and what was going on. As she headed that way, she squinted up at the bubble-like barrier, assessing it, and trying to gauge the weather through it.
Arcana: [roll0]
Survival: [roll1]
But she couldn't manage to make anything out about either.

When Geiravor touched the baby cockatrice, the chick's eyes peeled open, and it peered dimly at her, the first thing it had ever seen.

Erealyn
2017-10-05, 01:30 PM
Jaylyn tossed and turned in her sleep. The images of the events in the tower blurred in with her nightmare images of her troops she lost when she was younger. Jaylyn finally opened her eyes and looked up from the pillow, her eyes dry and burning from the night before's crying. She turned over to sit up...and fell out of the bed to the floor with a hard thud. "OWW...SON OF A..." she started before realizing what had happened, the night before she flopped down on the side of bed instead of the center of it like she normally did.

Jaylyn stood up rubbing her rear with her hand, "Well I'm awake now." she said rubbing the burning sensation out of her eyes with the other hand. After the pain in her rear and her eyes went away she walked over to the deck with her bags on it and grabbed her brush and brushed her hair and fur to a presentable level. Then grabbing both of her bags and her staff, she went down to the kitchen to grab a light meal.

Jaylyn walked outside while eating, after finishing her light meal, she took off for the park to see if there was anything she could do to assist.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-05, 01:44 PM
Umbear froze as he was about to leave, hearing Ais.

"Oh... sorry... had a nightmare. Not a great start to the morning. If you are ready you can join me... Im going to see if I can help prepare the area around the East Tower for the oncoming invasion... Maybe you can tell me what sort of defenses will be best for demons. Im not.... well versed."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Umbear shook his head to Gorrun.

"I dont really have anything to reinforce that. a Druid or Cleric, maybe a handy wizard would be your caster for that. But... should the invasion burst through the wall, due to uncanny demonic strength, I could pre-emptively reinforce the surrounding area with Ramparts. "

Wolfykins
2017-10-05, 02:03 PM
Aistriú blinked their green eyes sleepily, but nodded. "Sure, sure. I'm a bit slow to get going in the mornings, but I'm good to go... I've got clothes on, not much else matters. Though we should probably think about food. And, uh, Umbear? I should dismiss our connection at some point today... before we reach the twenty-four hour point and you start paying the price for the bond. I'm not like my kin... I know the bond can only ever be temporary, one way or another... either by dismissing it to protect the bonded, or... or the bonded... dies..." they said, crossing the room and climbing onto Umbear's shoulder.

paladin_artea
2017-10-05, 02:09 PM
The dining area was unusually empty and Markas wasn't used to the unusual way day and night worked this far north. Figuring the others already were getting busy, he went to the kitchen to grab some bread and cheese, something easy to eat on the way and headed to the tower to see if the others were there. He took a look at the sky to see Hervir's Barrier with a heavy heart, but also to see if he can determine how the weather would be today.

Survival: [roll0]

"Great, it's going to be cold and wet on top of everything else," Markas complained to the open sky. He looked at the tower and saw several of his allies already there, "Morning everyone. Just to let you know, I think we'll be in for some rain, I'm sure that will factor in stabilizing the tower at some point. Is there anything I can do to help for now?"

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-05, 02:34 PM
Gorrun gives Umbear's words some thought. If you're going to do that, erect them along that ridge there, on this side of the damage. That way we can elevate some archers out here as well and funnel the damned through a channel of arrows.

Andrew Markham
2017-10-05, 07:35 PM
Pain. Regret. Sympathy. Love. Aurix moves to Torilee and scoops her up. He gently hugs her to his chest for a minute. "I know you said you accepted the risk, but I don't envy you this day. We're gonna be in the thick of it, and it's gonna be messy. Thank goodness we had this long before they came through, or it would be a lot worse. People should be out of or leaving the city at this point." Kicking himself. Aurix sighs. "If I had known we had this long...I should have been there for Geiravor. I was focused on the mission, wanted to make sure Hervir's death wasn't in vain. I was cold inside. I didn't feel I had sympathy to give at that moment. I'm an adventurer; you tend to think about death differently as a soldier or an adventurer. Somebody dies, you get the job done, THEN you mourn. That's not what she needed. And now she's hurt, and I can't fix it."

Embarrassment, shame. Aurix bites his lip and paces away a few steps. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be going on about this. We were talking about you, and now I'm talking about me. I just...I've been dwelling on it all night. Anyway, I can go through your spells with you. It all depends on what role you're gonna take." Aurix moves to sit down with Torilee.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-05, 08:04 PM
Umbear smiles to Ais.

"Wanna make it a morning ritual for you and me? Break the Old bond and start the new?"

He reaches up, offering a playful nudge to Ais's Shoulder.

"If your hungry, you can go grab some breakfast and meet me out at the tower, help you wake up. I can go a long while without food... especially... well... I dont need food now..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Umbear nods to the General.

"I dont know the exact nature of whats going on with the cracks on the ground, so Ill start making Ramparts around the area to reinforce the surrounding zones to bottleneck any possible incursion."

umbear begins a series of Gathering Energy and raising 10 foot tall Ramparts, starting 25 feet from the cracks outward, working to create bottle necking for troops and preferential attack areas for Archers and troops.

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-05, 08:08 PM
Geiravor smiled faintly as Tricey looked at her. "Good morning, Tricey." she said.

She rolled out of bed and prayed to Freya to prep her spells. After an hour, she put on some underclothes and called in Jaysen. He came in and helped her into her armor and gear. Once geared up she cast Mind Blank from her ring. Next, she called Geoffray for breakfast for herself and Tricey. She ate breakfast on the floor while feeding Tricey. She watched the tiny creature curiously. Geiravor sighed wistfully.

dysmorphia
2017-10-05, 08:20 PM
Once he was through soeaking to Gorrun, he found a secluded place to pray. He did not change his spells, simply reinforced his knowledge of them and reaffirmed his devotion to Kamus. Then, he stood watch with the soldiers. Lumont got them food during their watch, allowing Kestejoo a short break, but they both knew there would be no sleep tonight.

As morning dawned and the heroes began to gather once more, Kestejoo sought out Gorrun to see if there were any changes. The mention of the weather made the centaur frown.

”Is there a way for your druids to solidify the ground should it become muddy? It would be rather bad if we lost simply due to muddy ground...”

When others began arriving, Kesejoo greeted each in his choppy Common, remembering only a few names.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-05, 09:33 PM
It looks like it might hold off until tomorrow, but I think we're in for some violent downpours by the end of the week. Gorrun answered Markas

Gorrun nods watching Umbear work. He looks up to Ais. There was a priestess here last evening. She claimed to have a gift of healing. She volunteered to return to help nurse the wounded later. I could speak to her on your behalf if that's something you'd like. Though I suppose I would have to come up with a new nickname for you if you agreed.

When Kest returned with his question Gorrun said.
If any in the kingdom can, the druids of the grove can. I've sent men to fetch them but it can be a long journey on foot. I'm sure they will arrive soon, once they have completed their morning rituals

Wolfykins
2017-10-05, 10:31 PM
Torilee slid down from the chair and followed Aurix, climbing up to his shoulder when she caught up to him. She wrapped her arms as far around his neck as she could to hug him.
"Aurix, hey, she's a princess. If anyone understands duty, it's her, hey! And hey, right now she knows that no one has time to really grieve, hey, because we have to face what's coming! And Aurix... from what I understand, hey, the Princess and the Court Mage were very close... like sisters, hey. One night of grief wouldn't be enough. If you'd gone to her to let her grieve, hey, you'd have opened the floodgates, hey, and it wouldn't have been good to force them shut in order to face today. Hey, I'm young for my kind, but I've been around a while, hey, compared to you big people. And your kind experiences loss more frequently than fey do. So I've seen it before, hey? Many times."
The brownie let go and settled with her legs dangling across the sorcerer-paladin's collarbones.
"What role do you want me to take, Aurix?" she asked simply. "What do you plan to do, and how can I make it more effective, hey?"

Aistriú shrugged. "There's no limit to how many times I can make new bonds in a day. But it does take a bit of time. At this point, dismissing it and renewing it before bed is probably the better option, since it was after midnight when I made this one. The way I thought to use the bond last night... that feels like a way to be useful. If the group needs to split up, I should be in one group and whomever I'm bonded to in another group, so my group will at least know how the other group is doing. But that means, whatever group I'm in, needs to be able to protect me, otherwise it's kinda pointless. So it may come down to you having to choose between being my bonded partner, or being the one to protect me," the danthienne pointed out.
"I didn't go to the feast, but I did eat before going to bed, so it's a bit soon for breakfast. I know I may not get a chance later, but, somebody probably has trail rations at least, and it's not like it takes much to feed me. But why don't you need food?" Aistriú asked, puzzled.

Aistriú shook their head at Gorrun. "She should save her magic for those who need it. It'll be more important to restore somebody's lost head, or a soldier's missing leg, than my arm. It doesn't hinder me. You can still cast somatic spells with one hand. I just can't be armed and do magic at the same time. Though I was seldom ever armed anyway. But, now that I think about it, I actually wish I had some coin to invest in some high quality light armor," they said wryly.
"By the by, I don't suppose you have a way to amplify my singing, do you? I can inspire courage in anyone who could hear me, and they don't have to see me for it to work. I can turn myself invisible for protection and still empower Juvelnord's forces."

Aurora trotted over to the assembled group, arms full of the food she'd brought with her.
"So, who had the foresight to get breakfast, and who's happy to see me?" she asked brightly, showing off the loaves of bread, the remaining sacks of cherries, and two dozen boiled eggs. She plucked one of the eggs from the basket to save for herself.

Andrew Markham
2017-10-05, 11:04 PM
Aurix leans his head against Torilee on his shoulder. "You always know just what to say, kid. Come on, let's have a look at your spells."

Aurix sits down on the floor with Torilee and her spellbook. "So, with Wergontix, I'm basically an all-rounder in the best way. I can fight, and I can cast. I can even do both at the same time, but it takes a lot more power to do so. That's where you come in. With Remote Casting, you can draw on my offensive magic and damage large groups even while I'm fighting up close. You're not experienced enough with my spells to know which to use when- and we wanna avoid property damage- so it'll take some mental communication. At least the Remote Casting will tell you what I have available. That's for dealing with large groups of weak enemies. If we have the time and the position, we want to fight them in melee to conserve spells. But if they're moving off or trying to hurt someone else, we blast 'em with magic!"

"For big single foes, I'll want you to switch to casting protection spells on me. I'll know which ones to ask for, depending on the situation. Unfortunately you can't cast True Strike on me, but if we could make a True Strike wand, you could in the future. But things like my Dragon Hide spell, Legendary Proportions, Greater Heroism- you can put these on me when I fight something real nasty."

"I should be strong enough to take out a lot of lesser demons in melee, so not every battle even requires magic. In that case, I prefer you remain merged with me, to keep you safe. The biggest threat to you is an enemy spellcaster that is hitting everyone in the area. If that happens, pop me with Spell Resistance and merge."

"I know this is complicated, but we'll have to play it by ear. Battle is like that. As to your own spells...what we've tried to do is make it so you can use them often. So we'll want to prepare things we know will work here. Protection from Evil is a good one. It won't do a lot for me, but you can cast it on soldiers. Haste is always good to have around. I'd prepare....Magic Missile and Protection from Evil, Resist Energy and Make Whole, Haste aaaaaand...Communal Resist Energy. If you need to Tether Step or Dispel something, you can borrow mine. Any encounter where I intend to use you, I'll start with Remote Casting, or some version of it. That way, you'll know to come out. Any questions?"

"Oh, one last thing. Today is gonna be an endurance race. Use magic sparingly, and only for a specific goal. I'm gonna pull on Wergontix often. If you don't have a use for your spells, you can recharge it, or just wait. But whatever you do, don't cast Sorcerous Prime except in the most dire of circumstances! It's powerful and has no element, but it will drain me very quickly. I'll use it one day...but probably not today!"

Milosh13
2017-10-05, 11:44 PM
Droktoktor woke up in the morning and decided to head to the kitchen to get some breakfast. After eating his breakfast he headed back to his room to get himself prepared for anything that could happen that day. He then headed to the park to see if there was anything that was happening.

Wolfykins
2017-10-05, 11:57 PM
Torilee nodded, sticking out the tip of her tongue as she penned the list on a piece of scrap paper. "Cantrips, hey? 'Read Magic' and 'Detect Magic' are pretty standard, hey? I was thinking, hey, 'Message' and 'Dancing Lights', to send signals to the others if we need to, hey?"

"I have an ioun stone ready to pickup at Gemstar today," Aurora said. "I already paid for it. I can get there and back in probably about five minutes if I hustle. Once my arms are free of breakfast, I'd like to do that. It's... a stone to make my spells more powerful, so... kinda want to get it if the Gemstar artisans will open the door for me. I highly doubt they're open," she said wryly.

"Then again, life goes on," Aistriú said with grim humor.

dysmorphia
2017-10-06, 07:40 AM
Kestejoo smiled brightly when Aurora arrived. "We help to, ah, lighten load," the centaur said his choppy Common. He motioned to Lumont and the servant snagged a free camp table, setting it just off to the side for Aurora to put her burdens down on.

"A... good morning to you," Kestejoo said by way of greeting. He plucked an egg, a piece of bread, and a handful of cherries from the pile. "Mind if I... come with? Good to get blood pumping in morning."

Andrew Markham
2017-10-06, 09:11 AM
"That's a great idea, Torilee! We should see if Juvelnord already has Dancing Light signals for long range communication. If not, we ought to come up with some patterns. A signal that means all clear, and one that means we need soldiers, and maybe one that means there's a big nasty that we'll need a team of heroes to take down. You should think about that for a bit. You need time to prepare, right? I need to go find Markas. You gonna be okay up here for a bit?" Aurix asks.

Wolfykins
2017-10-06, 09:53 AM
Aurora rubbed the egg between her hands and peeled it in a deft, practiced motion. "You sure, Kest? You've been up all night, right? I wouldn't want you to strain yourself. Though I suppose I could take care of the fatigue for a couple people. Who else stayed up? Gorrun?" she asked, looking at the shobhad as she took a bite of egg.

Torilee slapped her forehead with her palm. "Hey, ah, I forgot! I can use 'Dancing Lights' without preparing it... it's something all brownies can do! So, 'Flare' instead. Similar idea, hey, but gives another signal method!"
"Yeah, hey, I'll be fine. It'll take me an hour to memorize these spells for the day. But on the other hand, hey, if they're going to be trying to bolster the tower, maaaaybe I shouldn't be in here... in case something goes wrong, hey? I can't 'Dimension Door' to safety anymore," she said, frowning. "I can study on the ground too, hey?"

Andrew Markham
2017-10-06, 10:27 AM
Aurix nods. "All right, let's do that then." Aurix lets Torilee climb up onto his shoulder, then they fly down to the park.

After getting Torilee set up somewhere, Aurix seeks out Markas. "I have something for you, to aid you in battle today," Aurix says. He hands Markas two 3 oz mana crystals. "If you take these into Warrick's Training Ground and meditate with them for an hour, they will attune to your ki. They must touch your skin during that time. You can use them to supplement your own ki. I hope that will come in handy today. When Brynhildr has some more time, I plan to make you an ioun stone like I did for Jaylyn. The ioun stone will recharge; these crystals will not. I hope they serve you well."

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-06, 04:07 PM
As you wish Gorrun replied to Ais If you could play a horn, the Gjallarhorn can be heard for miles, but for your voice, aside from the Princess' spell powered cry, i have no idea.

When Aurora arrived with breakfast Gorrun said Thank you! taking half a dozen eggs and half a loaf of bread. This will do until I can get something else. I appreciate it. When she mentions the rock shop Gorrun grabs an orbiting stone and says Could you see if they can put a large charge on this? Or since we're in a time crunch, if they have a large one prepared just use this as trade credit. he hands her the +4 strength iuon stone and draws a smaller one to set in orbit while it is absent.Yes, I've been awake as well He pulls out his coin pouch to hand her the 40k gp to fund the project and sees a smaller pouch. Oh, how could I forget? You do have coin little Tyrling. You slept through the party last night so I couldn't give you this. He holds out the 100lb bag of gold to Ais. if it is too heavy I will be glad to carry it for you just know that it is at your disposal.

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-06, 05:17 PM
With her Gungnir fauchard over her shoulder and Tricey in the familar pouch, she left her room and walked hurriedly down the cooridor.

"Geoffray, where are the heroes?" the Princess inquiried.

"I heard the guards whispering about a gathering at the west tower, You Highness." the head butler replied, keeping her pace down the hall.

She sighed. "I was born for this, right Geoffray? To defend Juvelnord?"

Geoffray paused for a moment, but kept walking along with her. "I don't know about destiny and such, Princess. However, I know the staff believes in you and as do I."

She took a deep breath and huffed. "I will not... let you and the staff down."

"And please do be careful." Geoffray pleaded.

"Of course, Geoffray, I have the heroes behind me." she reassured.

As she reached the end of the cooridor, she came to a balcony. Geoffray rushed on, open, and held the door for her. She gave him a nod of thanks. Spreading her wings, she stepped up the stone railing of the balcony and stepped off into a drop. The winged Aasimar Princess fell briefly before catching air with her wings and lifting off of it with a flap of her mighty wings. She flew from the eastern wing of the to the south side, where the imposing figure of the Abyssal radiated east tower stood tall.

Erealyn
2017-10-06, 05:43 PM
After a while of watching everything at the park, and seeing nothing she could do to assist. Jaylyn chose to find Aurora as she might have the answers to a couple questions. Jaylyn started looking for Aurora, asking those around her if they had seen her. After getting pointed in the right direction, Jaylyn walks up to the group and looks at Aurora. "Lady Aurora I have a couple questions on the topic of demons. Do you have a moment to spare?" She said.

paladin_artea
2017-10-06, 06:05 PM
At the sight of the food Aurora brought, Markas's stomach began to grumble, "Oh...I ate something small along the way but apparantly I'm hungrier than I thought. So I'm happy to see you yes," he approached the table Lumont set up and took a few cherries and eggs. "I honestly wasn't expecting to have much of an appetite yet, but on the ohter hand, I better build up my strength for what's coming."

When Aurix approached he nodded his gratitude, "Thank you, Aurix, I'm sure they'll be very useful. And I've recently discovered the advantages of ioun stones so I'll definitely accept another when we get a chance...and speaking of getting prepared, since most of everyone is gathered now..." He got another army table and placed it beside the one Lumont set up and he placed his bag of holding on it, pulling out the items he offered yesterday, "Didn't get a chance to share these yesterday but since we're trying to get geared up expecting the worst, I'll offer them again."

A simple-looking gold ring. (Ring of Freedom of Movement)
A silver ring engraved with a repeating pattern of a shield with a cross. (Ring of Protection +4)
A gold ring set with 9 garnets. (Ring of Delayed Doom)
A cloak embroidered with images of falling stars and pale moons. (Cloak of Major Displacement)
Wand of Haste (50 charges, each charge lasts 5 rounds)
Wand of Archon's Aura (50 charges, each charge lasts 5 rounds)
An exceptionally clean, pure-looking dagger in a simple leather sheath. (+4 Neutralizing Dagger)

Then he set up a smaller seperate pile, "And these items have yet to be identified so if anyone wants to do so, it would be a big help."

A brass bottle with a lead stopper bearing strange runes
A 1-pound, featureless gray stone, perfectly smooth and flawlessly polished (Unknown ioun stone)
An exquisitely forged katana in a masterwork sheath.
A light crossbow with a faintly yellow-green tint along the bolt track.

Erealyn
2017-10-06, 06:18 PM
Jaylyn walks over to the items that needed to be Identified, switching to Draconic "I detect the Magic!" then spends the 3 rounds necessary to ID each item.

Spellcraft to ID
bottle: [roll0]
Ioun stone: [roll1]
Kitana: [roll2]
Light crossbow: [roll3]

Jaylyn looks up at the group, 'I don't know what the bottle is...sorry," She said then picked up the orb, "I do know the Orb is Pure Law Orb it grants it's holder moderate deflection versus those of attack from chaotic nature, it also grants the holder a moderate resistant to the effect of any spell of that school, confusion, and polymorph effect. When somebody holds it they can cast the spells 'Detect Chaos' and 'Detect Law' at will. Those of you that follows the law to the letter it grants you the ability to cast 'Dispel Chaos' and 'Arrow of Law' once per day. Don't grab it if you prefer chaos over law, it will drain you while you hold it."

She put down the orb and picked up the Kitana, "This is the 'Blade of the Sword-Saint' it is a moderately enchanted weapon that intensify's those who use Ki. In the hands of a Monk with the ability to snatch arrows or deflect them they can still do it with the sword drawn. they can even use it with the rapid attacking that I've seen monks do." She said.

Putting down the Kitana and grabbing the Crossbow. "This crossbow is enchanted greatly with the ability to put a corrosive acid on the bolts it fires and if you should land a critical strike, it burst with even more corrosive acid on top of that."

Jaylyn puts the Crossbow back down, and looks over the items on both table again. "Thanks, but there is nothing here that would assist me in the up coming battles."

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-06, 07:09 PM
Umbear smiled to Ais as she asked her question.

"I would have thought youd figured that out already. Im an Ogre. We can eat anything we get our hands on... short of Stone and Metal. "

While pushing up ramparts He pulls up grass bits and chews before swallowing.

Andrew Markham
2017-10-06, 07:21 PM
Aurix raises his hand and says, "Hey, if nobody else who went on this mission is interested in those wands, I'd like to give them to Torilee. I think they'd come in handy!" After this declaration, Aurix's stomach growls audibly. "Dear gods I need to eat! Who's got the food?"

paladin_artea
2017-10-06, 07:33 PM
Markas points to the table that Aurora deposited food in which was right next to the table he set up to display his spoils, "Right there champ, about ten feet away," he said a little wryly, "Auroa was kind enough to bring food." He then turned to Jaylyn, "Thank you for looking at these for me. I actually did my retraining with Warrick and Camille to learn the ways of the monk so I think that blade will come in handy for me," he said, taking the blade in hand and moving a few feet off to practice swinging it with his flurry ability, "It's...it's like I've always known how to use this weapon. I think I'll keep it, though it looks like something from your lands, Jaylyn. Wonder how it ended up all the way out here..." he mused.

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-06, 07:44 PM
Geiravor came in for a landing with an audible thud. She scanned the group to see almost everyone was here. "Good... morning, everyone. Good to see the front is still undisturbed. Though that makes me horribly concerned." she said. She reached down to pet Tricey. She sighed.

dysmorphia
2017-10-06, 07:50 PM
Kest smiled at Aurora and nodded. "Help, I offer. Cure fatigue, I appreciate. Would like to come, though... to keep company. In dark times."

He ate the food in his hands then, preparing to come with Aurora.

Wolfykins
2017-10-06, 08:41 PM
"If they're taking new orders, I will," Aurora told Gorrun, taking the stone and money. "If not, you'll have to pass it to Brynhildr later," she said. "You're welcome to come, Kest, if you want. Jaylyn, can you wait five minutes for that info? I'll give you the basics and then answer questions when I get back, I just want to make sure I get the stone quickly," she said sheepishly. "When I get back, I'll answer questions and eliminate the fatigue of anyone who stayed up, alright?" She waved at Kest to follow and took off at a very brisk trot.

Aistriú opened the bag Umbear had given them. "Handy Haversack, so, it should be fine," the dantheinne said. "Thank you! I appreciate the share of money. I'll definitely inquire about what kind of armor I can commission with this," they said. "I've never been one for instruments though, I'm sorry to say. Always more of a song and dance type. Ah well, it was probably silly to think to bolster an entire army myself anyway. I'll just focus on you guys."

Torilee sat dutifully on the ground some distance away, studying her spellbook.

When Aurora reached Gemstar, the sign indicated they were closed. She rapped on the door, knowing the proprietors lived in the store.
A dwarven craftsmen tentatively peeked around the corner and looked at the glass door. He looked visibly relieved to see Aurora and gave her a 'one moment' gesture and hurried out of sight. He returned with a pink and green, spherical stone in hand.
"You came for this, right?" he asked, opening the door a little. When the centaur nodded, he shoved it through the gap and started to close the door.

"Wait!" Aurora said quickly. "The General wishes you to increase this stone's power," she said, holding out Gorrun's stone and the money he'd given her to pay the man.

The dwarf shook his head. "The end is nigh! We're not taking anymore work right now! We don't know if we'll survive the day, why would we waste it on work instead of spending time with our loved ones? No. No, I'm sorry. Unless we know, unless we see that the army has things under control, we're remaining closed!"

Aurora sighed and nodded. "Alright, I understand. I'll see if the castle staff has time to squeeze it in. But if they don't get to it, will you promise to take the job tomorrow, assuming we both live to then? That'll be proof, right?" she asked with a wink.

The dwarf was quiet for a moment and then nodded. "Fine. It's a deal. If we're both alive and the stone still needs work, bring it tomorrow!" He slammed the glass door shut quickly and locked it firmly before hurrying off.

Aurora sighed and looked at Kest. "Well, I suppose that was neither as good nor as bad as I was expecting. I hope the General won't blame him for his fear. Come on, let's head back," she said, setting off at a trot again.

dysmorphia
2017-10-06, 08:51 PM
Kestejoo followed along, easily keeping up. At the shop, Kest kept watch, making sure no one came upon them unawares.

Perception: [roll0]

Then, when Aurora was done, he nodded and followed her again, once more keeping watching as they moved through the city.

Perception: [roll1]

Though he spoke little, his eyes were always open.

paladin_artea
2017-10-06, 09:05 PM
"I...hesitate to call this morning good to be honest, but I think we're well enough to prepare for what's coming," Maraks said, approaching Geiravor slowly, "I did bring some things that may help, but I had something specific in mind for you, your highness. Although I trust all of my friends and allies, I think this would be safest in your hands, and the most useful." He then reached into his bag and handed her a crystal ball.

"It apparently has the ability to let the user read minds. Something that might make someone go corrupt if they're not careful, but out of all of us, I think you're the least likely to fall to that. Plus it probably can be useful in looking in on the Abyssal forces looking to invade us."

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-06, 09:14 PM
Geiravor took the crystal ball and studied it carefully before storing it in her Handy Haversack. "Thank you, Markas. This will be useful as Helen tries to spin this disaster in her favor. Maybe useful in other ways too." She sheathed her fauchard before hugging Markas. "Thank you for everything you did for her." she said before releasing him and rearming herself.

"Morning, Princess." Brynhildr greeted. The smith hefted around a large sack. "Heroes, gather round! I got some special gear from the armory fer ya! Artifacts of mysterious nature. One per hero and this is a borrowed item. So give it back at some point." the dwarf announced presenting the bag for whoever was interested.

Wolfykins
2017-10-06, 09:16 PM
Aistriú made their way over to the food, grabbing two cherries out of a sack, awkwardly squishing them under her arm, and then moving to sit at the edge of the table to eat them.

Aurora arrived back at the group with almost as much haste as promised.
"Sorry, Gorrun," she said, approaching the shobhad and returning his ioun stone and gold. "They're too frightened to take new orders today. They want to spend what they believe are their 'last moments' with their loved ones. Though I did extract a promise that if we both survived to tomorrow, it would prove we have things under control, and that if your stone still needed work then, they'd do it for you. But Brynhildr is probably going to be faster anyway, if she's not too swamped trying to churn out more gear for your soldiers."
She took a deep breath and moved to the table to pull off a hunk of bread. She tore off a little piece and chewed slowly, then took a swig of water from her waterskin. She looked around at the others.
"Alright, here's what I know from experience. On a broad scale, demons tend to be immune to electricity and poison, and resistant to fire, cold, and acid. They're not alive in the way you're familiar with. They don't eat. They don't sleep. They most often speak Abyssal, Infernal and Celestial, if they speak at all. Many don't, communicating instead with telepathy. Most of them are able to summon more of their own kind from the Abyss. And in a situation where we're facing an already-amassed army, that could rapidly become a problem, as the number of forces we face at any given moment could easily double, triple or even quadruple. They are chaotic and unpredictable, and totally evil. Their attacks, whether by tooth or claw or armament, will bear that taint, so if you are vulnerable to injury from evil or chaos, be wary."
"But since demons are chaotic, they don't tend to form cohesive armies. That means they're likely to be led by devils. Devils are every bit as evil as demons, though they are lawful beings. Their word is their bond. That doesn't mean they'll respect or obey Juvelnord's laws. If they're running an army raiding the Material Plane, they're clearly already pledged to someone, or something. Devils are typically immune to fire and poison, and resistant to acid and cold. They can see in even the deepest darkness. Like demons, they don't need to eat or sleep, speak the same languages, and tend to be telepathic. They are relentless. Their attacks also bear their taint, but I don't think we know anyone who is vulnerable to law, so, the evil part is still the real concern there," the centaur explained.
"There may be others, but I don't know for sure what to expect."

Andrew Markham
2017-10-06, 09:49 PM
Aurix begins sifting through the artifacts. He is familiar with them, having seen them before when he won the tournament, so many he avoids. He avoids the large holy book and the multiple staves. The shields are tempting, but with the large halberd as his primary weapon, he decided against them. Aurix realizes he has chosen wisely when Gorrun begins examining them. Aurix lets his mind be guided by his instinct and looks for items that appeal to him. After dismissing several, he reaches for a wooden circlet with jagged metal spikes. At his touch, the circlet bursts into flame!

Aurix jumps back, dropping the circlet. It immediately returns to normal. Aurix blinks, kicking himself mentally. "What am I worried about, I'm immune to fire," he mutters to himself. Aurix takes off his current circlet and says to it, "Could you be a necklace for a while?" The item shifts, turning into a necklace, which Aurix puts on. Then he picks up the circlet again and examines it more closely as it spreads a small light over the area. "This...did not do this before." He uses his magic sense to examine its auras and try to think of what it might be.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-06, 10:10 PM
Auroras news was obviously displeasing to Gorrun.
His face drew up as he accepted the stone. In his tired state he found restraining his cynicism more difficult than normal. When you expect a wave of evil to wash through your homeland why bother bolstering the wall that stands between it and you? The whole reason I sent it to them is because the Forgemistress and her troop have more to do than they can manage as it is. Cowards. he turns to look at Kest See, it means something.

Gorrun picks up the battle worn wooden shield first, expecting it to magically grow to fit like other prize items had, but it did not. He tried to slide his massive forearm through the strap but it would not fit. Disappointed, he placed it back on the table. Then he lifts the shield emblazoned with the image of the sun. He slides it onto his arm and tightens the strap. His eyes flash white, ever so briefly. The image of Tyr, embossed on either side of his helm began to glow with a golden light and a broad smile swept across his face. The Damned will know my name

Erealyn
2017-10-06, 10:45 PM
Jaylyn looked over to Markas, "It might be of Kitsune build, but I don't know. I'm not overly knowledgeable in the ways of Kitsune Kitana making. I do know that other Kingdoms make Kitanas." she replied.

Jaylyn nodded as the two centaurs galloped off, "I hope she gets what she needs" she thought. Five minutes later they came back, and Aurora went over her knowledge of demons and devil. Jaylyn nodded grimly, when Aurora finished Jaylyn looked over to her. "Generally speaking, how vulnerable are they to mental magics like Constricting Coils, Insanity, and most importantly Dominate Monster?"

When Brynhildr offered the heroes the artifacts on loan. Jaylyn looked at the Shadowstaff and the Staff of the Magi, but chose to go with the later. "I wonder what makes you tick." she thought, "I might go over to the temple of Diakitsu, to see if I can get help on this staff like they helped me learn bout my other artifact." She said.

Wolfykins
2017-10-06, 11:31 PM
"They can't really help it, Gorrun," Aurora sighed. She laid a hand on Kest's elbow.
"May the Divine Wind restore your vigor," she said.
Lesser Restoration
Then she stepped over to Gorrun and repeated the spell.
Gorrun and Kest are no longer fatigued.
Aurora looked at Jaylyn and shrugged apologetically.
"Sorry Jaylyn, enchantments have never been my thing. Fiends vary a great deal from type to type, but less so from individual to individual. What works on one nabasu should be equally effective on another, barring other factors. But what is effective against a nabasu is not guaranteed to work on a stirge. Some fiends will have great willpower, some will not. But you won't stop an army of fiends by dominating nine or ten of them or however many you could attempt it on. The demons might be easy enough to force to fight against their own kind, but devils would not be so willing to betray their own side. What would you do with a dominated fiend if it survived the battle, anyway? You can't force them to be self-destructive with that kind of magic, so even ordering them to hold still and let someone kill them would fail. 'Constricting Coils' is better, of the two you mentioned, but I have no idea how well it would work."

The centaur moved to inspect the artifacts Brynhildr brought. Three caught her eye. The first a cute little orrery with an actual flame for the sun. Aurora inspected it curiously and gingerly picked it up, and it drifted up to join her other two iouns. She tilted her head to the side, curious at how connected she felt to the Divine Fire while it orbited her head. She grabbed it and set it back on the table and inspected the next thing that caught her eye: an odd little talisman that seemed to defy description. The third item looked like a perfectly ordinary everburning torch, which Aurora found intriguing. She picked it up, and nearly dropped it again in surprise when the flame turned white. She set it back down and it returned to a normal yellow-orange torch flame.
"Some of these are really quite interesting, even without knowing what they are..." she trailed off as she suddenly spied an elaborately decorated book covered in metal plating, precious jewels, and intricate iconography. She stepped over to it and gingerly opened it, and gasped.
"Wow, it's written entirely in Celestial... Oh! It's like an encyclopedia of the good-aligned planes and their inhabitants, complete with maps! There's even spells in here! I bet if you spent enough time studying this book, you'd learn a lot about the planes, and probably be able to teleport with pretty good precision just from memorizing these maps. I mean, if teleportation were possible right now. A lot of these spells would take study to be able to use... if I were the type of spellcaster to use a book, I guess. But it does look like there are some spells that can be cast using the book like any other magic item with a few uses of a spell per day. And I think it would enhance the potency of good spells. I know a few... I think I'd like to keep this, though I'm happy to let others read it if you want to!" she said, brown eyes shining with excitement.
"Torilee! If you study the book, you might be able to copy some of the spells inside it, after a while!"

Torilee glanced up briefly from her spellbook, looking like she hadn't heard much but her name. "Huh? Uh, tell me later, hey? Thanks. Sorry," she mumbled, immersing herself in her own book once more.

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-07, 06:38 AM
Gorrun looks to Geiravor This sheild, it compels me to pray. I leave command in your capable hands until my return.

He sets off to the temple of Tyr. He finds the first priest and addresses them. Gothi, I am in need of a prayer room. I have acquired a holy artifact which compels me. Are there any paladins or perhaps even clerics present who could give me a rushed understanding of the spells they use? I believe they'll find me a quick study.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-07, 08:03 AM
Umbear looks across the artifact with a grim frown. Nothing seems to call out to him. Nothing sparks his interest. He turns to look away. But His neck snaps back. Rather than catch his attention. His peripheral vision pulls his attention back to a common looking cold iron spike. It didn't look like it belonged... Like a single copper piece in a pile of platinum. He reaches for the cold iron spike twirling it between his fingers.

"And what... Or who... Are you?"

Wolfykins
2017-10-07, 09:35 AM
Aistriú looked at the spike and shuddered. "Keep it away from me! Cold iron and fey don't mix. In fact, it looks a lot like these traps people used to use to capture fey. Lure the fey into a building, drive the spike into the wall, and the fey can't escape without having a strong enough force of will to push past the barrier. 'Dimension Door' and similar doesn't function, either, nor could the fey summon help. Trapped within, the fey feel sick and are unable to do much, making them easy to capture. Though I suppose it would've worked equally well as a repellent, were one so inclined. But that looks a lot heftier and sturdier than the ones I've seen used for fey. So I don't think it's the same thing. But it probably works similarly, and likely on another type of creature vulnerable to cold iron," they said.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-07, 09:45 AM
Umbear nodded as ais responded poorly to even looking at it. He slid it into a pocket and nodes again.

" I'll go check a temple to determine which type it might be... If it did that to demons... I think I know the perfect building to drive it into."

Umbear headed to the nearest temple, not having a preference to which god it is. Entering he looks for an attendant.

" I have...9 coupons. And I need to know what this is. And what it does. "

He holds out the coupons for divinations and the iron spike.

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-07, 10:13 AM
Geiravor dug through the bag and found what looked like a torch made of electrum. She took the torch in hand and immediately it emitted a white and gold flame, startling her enough to drop the torch. She groaned at her foolishness and took up the torch again and pulled it from the bag, holding it up triumphantly. "I don't know what this is, but it feels right." she said.

Andrew Markham
2017-10-07, 01:28 PM
Aurix shuts his eyes tight and quickly shifts back to regular vision. The evocation and conjuration auras on the circlet are overwhelmingly bright! The item bursts into flame, but Aurix doesn't think they're responding to his nature as a golden dragon, or it would have before. The biggest change since then was his rise as a Paladin, and that might explain this. Aurix tentatively puts the circlet of jagged metal on his head. It turns into a brightly spinning halo of flame. "Well, it'll be pretty much impossible for me to hide now! But somehow, I think it'll be worth it." Glowing brightly, Aurix readies himself to face the demon armies.

Wolfykins
2017-10-07, 02:35 PM
The priest at the Temple of Tyr bowed to Gorrun.
"I am sorry, we have no paladins in residence currently. They have been called away to prepare for war with the Abyss. We do have a few books that may be of use to you. They are in the alcove down that hall," he pointed with his entire arm, "on the way to the private prayer rooms. You may avail yourself at your leisure, General. I have little personal experience with artifacts, but I have heard stories. I believe if the item compels you to pray, then you will find Tyr offering you guidance himself when you do so. But please do help yourself to books if you like."

The priest at the temple Umbear entered shrugged and took one of the coupons.
"Divination, you said? Very well. It will take ten minutes."

Ten minutes later, he returned with a note, bowed, and handed it to Umbear before turning and strolling off, seeming indifferent.

Ancient forgecraft
Maleficus Spike
Protected building to draft
Drive in the wall with mighty strike

Cold iron without
Adamantine within
Doors and stone become more stout
Repel outer evil and their kin

The structure heals itself in time
But not what faults that already exist
Artifact retains power until the chime
Twenty four hours it will desist

Arcane magic holds the charge
One level per hour must be given
No more than twenty four may you discharge
No matter how great your ambition

The evil without may still get in
With great tenacity of will
They may still be able to threaten
But be much easier to kill

Locked to this dimension they become
No friends to aid them can be called
To great illness they will succumb
And with injuries be stalled

Unless their will is very great
You will find it easy to prevail
Make a haven safe estate
Every day to protect the frail

paladin_artea
2017-10-07, 04:50 PM
"Ah, thank you Jaylyn. I learned something new today." Markas replied to the Kitsune concerning his new katana.

"Helen?" Markas racked his brain for a moment when the princess mentioned that name, "OH the victim of the unfortunate bird poop incident!" Markas laughed, "Tried to help her, but I guess I made things worse. I didn't know she was a political enemy of yours though. I'll watch myself if I ever encounter her again." Markas blushed a little at Geiravor's affection, more because it surprised him than anything. He hugged her back softly, "Now what we can do for her is make sure our actions in these coming battles justify her faith in all of us."

Markas finished the eggs and cherries he got from the table, then smiled and gently patted Ais on the back as greeting before listening intently to Aurora's treitise on demons and devils, making note of their strengths and noting they have few weaknesses. These will be exceptionally difficult enemies to battle.

He then joined the other heroes to examine the items Brynhildr offered to lend them. The only weapon that seemed usable by the monk was the Shadowstaff so he examined it first, taking a few practice swings. After putting it down, he picked up the Talisman of Pure Good to see what happens if anything. Then he put on the Ring of Nine Facets to see if its effects were any better than his current rings. He looked at its different colors

"Okay...so I felt strange with this staff, like I wasn't completely 'here.' I also felt weaker than normal so that's a no on that. I don't know what the talisman did, I didn't feel any different. This ring though...it seems special..."

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-07, 06:59 PM
Umbear nods and makes sure to look at the holy symbols of the temple on his way out.

[roll0] Knowledge Religon to ID the God

He returns to the group in the park, the spike twirling in his hand.

"So... Spike.... put into a place.... makes it like holy ground for undead.... cept it hurts and nausiates evil outsiders. Could use it to make a haven for people in the city..... or.... put it into the East Tower. If the Tower is the source of their entry into the city, it will weaken the demons as they enter the city. "

paladin_artea
2017-10-07, 07:38 PM
Markas focused on the ring, noticing the indigo facet immediately next to the green one...
Wis check [roll0]

STDM Grizzly Ad
2017-10-07, 08:19 PM
Gorrun hefts an armload of books pertaining to Paladin spell casting and continues to the prayer room. He flips through the pages writing down spells that seem like they would be useful in the coming battle. As he does this he mumbles prayers to Tyr for guidance. (If he feels Tyrs influence, he immediately stops what he's doing and allows himself to be led.) After selecting spells he is comfortable with he spends an hour in deep prayer asking Try to grant him the use of these spells against the hordes of coming hellspawn.

Andrew Markham
2017-10-07, 08:49 PM
Aurix approaches Markas. "Here- Brynhildr finished up your mana crystal ioun stone. It also increases your strength slightly, in a way that stacks with normal equipment. You should meditate with the ioun stone as soon as possible."

paladin_artea
2017-10-07, 09:27 PM
"Okay so this ring's effect changes depending on which part is shiniest," Markas commented out loud, "earlier it made me immune to diseases, which I already am, but when I concentrated and the gem changed, I feel like I don't need to breathe, at the same time, when the gem changed I think it left a small bruise. Nothing I can't handle though, but I bet it's not a good idea to force it to change too often. I guess I'll borrow this for now." He pocketed the ring for now, putting on his other rings so their magic would be the ones currently in effect.

"wow that was fast!" Markas exclaimed, "thanks to you both," he shook Aurix's and Brynhidr's hands with a little enthusiasm. "Oh! You wanted these for Torilee," Markas reminded himself picking out the wands, "here you go my friend l hope she gets good use of them I guess I better get started on attuning these crystals you gave me." addressing the other heroes he added, "if anyone needs me, I'll be at the Training area Getting to work on these crystals."

Erealyn
2017-10-08, 02:14 AM
Jaylyn looked at the artifact staff in her left hand, closed her eyes and sighed before looking back up at the remaining heroes. "I need everybody here's advice, I been doing some thinking and I've come up with three options bout this staff. I can go to the Temple of Diakitsu and have a divination done on it like I did with the Magpie on my shoulder. I fear asking her to help me three times in two weeks, I don't want to bring the wrath of gods on me or Varrock. I could return the staff and go without it, as bring an unknown artifact into battle could as bad if not worse then not having it at all. Finally I could do something extremely stupid and attempt to activate it blindly and hope that whatever effects it has doesn't do any real harm to anybody or anything...so what is every bodies thoughts on this?" Jaylyn asked looking at each person here.

dysmorphia
2017-10-08, 07:51 AM
When the artifacts are offered up, Kest doesn't feel he has any right to them. He hangs back for a bit, watching as the heroes and their champion sort through the artifacts, talking about the effects and what use each item gives. As he hangs back, he feels an almost kind of pull towards the artifacts. Slowly, carefully, he picks his way closer, curiosity getting the better of him. The pull leads him to an amulet of red and gold crystal. Staring at the item, he slowly reaches out and picks it up. Though he knows nothing of this amulet, it's like he needs it, after just picking it up once. Swallowing heavily, he glances over towards Aurora, to see if she - or any of the heroes - will tell him to put the artifact down.

The fear of rejection is not assuaged by the distracted heroes. He already feels like he shouldn't be wearing the vest or using the bow - Gorrun already called him out on it after all - but the amulet... he feels like he should have it - or at least borrow it.

Swallowing again, he decides he needs to know it's powers first, before putting it on.

He makes his way over to Bryn, hoping that she would know what the item does. "Excusing me... questions I have... this... does what?"

paladin_artea
2017-10-08, 12:37 PM
Markas arrived at Warrick's training grounds and found a nice place to sit cross-legged, taking out the gifts Aurix gave him. He began to meditate, holding the two mana crystals, one in each hand...

He also meditates with the ioun stone gifted to him by Aurix and Brynhildr

He opens his Tome of Understanding and begins to study it.

Andrew Markham
2017-10-08, 12:40 PM
"Jaylyn, considering the circumstances, I suspect your god will understand. But if you're still worried, you can always ask Erastil! Just tell them I sent you."

Aurix takes the wands from Markas gratefully. "Torilee, these are for you. I think they'll come in handy," Aurix says.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-08, 12:47 PM
Umbear looks to the Tower.

"Aurix.... has anyone seen if the inside of the east tower has changed?"

He looks back to Aurix, and then to the iron spike in his hands.

"Im gonna go secure the proposed entry point."

Umbear begins to move toward the East Tower.

Wolfykins
2017-10-08, 12:50 PM
Aurora tucked her book in her bag and looked up at the tower contemplatively, frowning slightly. She pulled out her bow to have it in hand, just in case.

Torilee glanced up from her spellbook and smiled, accepting the wands and tucking them in pockets on her cloak. Then she went back to studying.

Andrew Markham
2017-10-08, 12:51 PM
Aurix looks extremely alarmed and grabs Umbear's arm. "We can't reach the entrance to the East Tower, cause it's covered in that energy. We're pretty sure anybody who isn't both extremely chaotic AND evil will get hurt if they touch it. Do not recommend, my friend."

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-08, 12:56 PM
Umbear looks back to Aurix.

"Among the Hero's, Im the closest we got, unless we want to pay Yama to investigate. We need information. I am tainted in no direction of law or chaos, Evil or Good. I may be able to pass unharmed. Ill be careful. "

umbear holds the spike in hand. but stops for a moment. HE turns around and goes back to the table and grabs the hammer on the table.

"Need something to drive it in. Ill bring it right back. "

He begins to approach the tower once again. Cautiously.

Andrew Markham
2017-10-08, 01:00 PM
Aurix says, "I'm pretty sure you need to be tainted..." but lets Umbear go. Once he has an idea in hsi head...

Wolfykins
2017-10-08, 01:14 PM
When Umbear touched the black and red column overlapping the tower, the Abyssal energy sparked angrily, inflicting 168 damage to the ogre.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-08, 01:23 PM
Umbear cried out in pain as the crackling black and red energy surged through him, ripping bone from sinew, muscle from tendons as his arm was shredded apart. Ogre blood spilt upon the ground as he breathed heavily. He spat at the energy and nodded as he began to walk back to the ground, His left arm limp at his side.

"Alright, I learned something. Its not just you goody goods. We'd need someone like Yama to give an honest attempt to scout inside. Also means my plan to put the spike in the tower, wont work. I doubt putting the spike into the outter castle wall will make all the castle grounds a safe haven... What do you guys think?"

He begins to patch up his arm with bandages.

[roll0] Heal

Wolfykins
2017-10-08, 01:33 PM
Aurora's eyes widened in alarm, and she hurried over to him. "Mother of the Divine! Let's not repeat that," she exclaimed. She reached out and touched the ogre's arm.
"By the power of the Divine Wind, be healed!"HealUmbear is healed 130.
"Maybe not the outer wall, but the wall of the keep itself might work, if it's supposed to make a building safe."
She retreated back to the more open space of the park.

Aistriú winced. "Holy cow, that caused massive injury!" they said, shuddering.

EdgeGrinder
2017-10-08, 01:35 PM
"Sorry, Kest, I don't know anything about the function of any of the artifacts." Brynhildr apologized. She closed up the sack and startedbwalking away. "Good luck heroes. I gotta get back to work." she excused herself.

Suddenly a rumbling came from below. A rumbling of many many feet in a study run. Monstrous howls followed the stampede.

Perception
[roll0]

Geiravor's ears twitched. "They come. Is there a plan?" she asked.

Darius Vibrtrar
2017-10-08, 01:46 PM
[roll0] Perception.

Umbear moved over to Ais.

"Think you have any bard magic to fix up the rest of my open wounds Ais?"

He looked around.

"You like Markas yea?"

Wolfykins
2017-10-08, 02:33 PM
Torilee finished memorizing her spells for the day and snapped her book shut and hurried over to Aurix, scrambling up to his shoulder. Nervous.

"Yeah, but it's not quick. I have to sing for at least eighteen seconds before the healing magic rises," Aistriú answered. "But you know, I do 'Cure Moderate-', '-Serious-' and '-Critical Wounds'," they said with a touch of wryness.
"Markas found me. I wouldn't be alive if not for him. He's also a genuinely good guy, if maybe a bit... uh... we'll say 'over-disciplined'."

Andrew Markham
2017-10-08, 02:35 PM
Aurix stops and faces the tower as he hears something. "Torilee, come on! They're here." Once Torilee is on board, Aurix flies up into the skies and begins keeping watch on the tower. As he circles, Aurix activates Detect Evil, then casts a new spell, Greater Mage's Decree, on himself. His voice begins transmitting to all non-evil characters in a 21 mile radius.

"Attention people of Juvelnord! This is your Champion, Aurix Kornari! In mere moments, the demon horde will emerge! Soldiers, guardsmen, citizens, take up your weapons and assume your places! Now is the time to stand and defend your homeland! In doing so, you stand in defense of the world itself! Be your greatest self, for on this day above all others, every one of you makes a difference! Today, every citizen of Juvelnord IS A HERO!!!"

Through the spell, Aurix casts Greater Heroism, transmitting the spell to every person hearing his words. He hopes it will bolster them in their time of trial. He turns off the spell for now, allowing that it might be needed again in the remaining 2 minutes of its duration.

(All non-evil characters in 21 miles gain +4 morale bonus on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks, immunity to fear effects, and 20 temporary hit points for 21 minutes.