PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics for Xenophobia?

Palanan
2017-09-27, 05:01 PM
Apart from penalties to Diplomacy and the Hatred racial trait, are there any mechanics that support a racial tendency towards xenophobia?

I’m interested in hearing from both 3.5 and Pathfinder, any official source.

lagninja
2017-09-27, 06:10 PM
In the race building sections of the ARG, xenophobia is a language option, that starts with the members of that race with only their native tongue, so they have to use a bonus language for Common.

Powerdork
2017-09-27, 06:46 PM
Not that it's a perfect match, but a ranger's favored enemy is racism for personal benefit.

Palanan
2017-09-27, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by lagninja
In the race building sections of the ARG, xenophobia is a language option, that starts with the members of that race with only their native tongue, so they have to use a bonus language for Common.

Excellent, exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for.

Originally Posted by Metool
…a ranger's favored enemy….

I’d rather not get into that discussion here.

Crake
2017-09-28, 12:17 AM
Excellent, exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for.

Gnomes and dwarves have benefits vs giants, orcs and kobolds and the like, though that's not so much xenophobia as much as a targeted racial hatred

NontheistCleric
2017-09-28, 06:48 AM
I’d rather not get into that discussion here.

Why not? For example, a race with Ranger as their favored class might tend toward xenophobia.

weckar
2017-09-28, 08:00 AM
But... a Ranger can pick their own race as favored enemy...

NontheistCleric
2017-09-28, 09:20 AM
But... a Ranger can pick their own race as favored enemy...

Yes, but if there was a society with a large percentage of Rangers, due to simple probability and likely disinclination to kill members of their own race over all others, almost all of those Rangers would then have some alien (to their society) race as a favored enemy. Therefore, what you end up with is a race with an inclination to train specifically to wipe out creatures that are different from them, which sounds a lot like xenophobia.

denthor
2017-09-28, 10:04 AM
Look at a skulk.

NontheistCleric
2017-09-28, 10:17 AM
Look at a skulk.

Skulks may be xenophobic, but their mechanical features are not necessarily so. They're just very good at sneaking, but the same could be said, say, of whisper gnomes.

Anxe
2017-09-28, 10:31 AM
There's all those prestige classes that require a certain race to enter or give bonuses against a certain race.

GreatGoatEater
2017-09-28, 04:57 PM
I mean it's mostly an RP thing. But if you really want to drive the point home you can make an "X hates Y" so much that it needs to make a will save or enter a rage until Y is dead or is other wise inaccessible. Depends on the level of hatred you're trying to go for.

Luccan
2017-10-01, 02:05 AM
Generally or specifically? As has been pointed out, dwarves and gnomes get some bonuses vs certain races they fight a lot, but that kind of goes back to the "who started it" thing. Still, if you were looking for targeted xenophobia, a bonus like that could be a place of inspiration. Or even "+X bonus against everyone not a [member of race or creature type]"

KillianHawkeye
2017-10-01, 11:57 AM
I mean it's mostly an RP thing.

I agree. Xenophobia is mostly just an attitude that you roleplay.

RoboEmperor
2017-10-01, 12:46 PM
By RAW it's just a "hostile" npc on the diplomacy table. You overcome it with a diplomacy check.

Goaty14
2017-10-01, 10:41 PM
Elves really hate orcs, and orcs really hate elves.
No mechanics. (Except a elf paragon gains favored enemy (orcs)...)