PDA

View Full Version : Munchkin, "The Game"

King.Smurf
2007-08-14, 11:32 AM
I think it belongs here. Otherwise just move it.

So... Does any of you know the game Munchkin? And what do you think about it. Which expansions pack, sequels and accessories do you own. Do you only play the card game or also the others.

And to finish a would like to ask a question about the card game.

How do I know if I get a given curse thrown on myself or if I get it up in my hand?
-Toby

Gaelbert
2007-08-14, 11:36 AM
I love that game. I don't get to play it as much as I would like, but I bring it on most of my camp outs and we play it a good deal. I have Star Mucnhkins and the Clown Wars expansion. As for your question, I believe you are cursed when you are looking for trouble, and get the curse when you are looting the room. Its basically the same as monsters, IIRC.

King.Smurf
2007-08-14, 11:49 AM
But when do you get to use a curse against your fellow players?

Just asking. Isn't "looking for trouble" the thing where you take a monster you got on your hand and then play it against yourself?

ZeroNumerous
2007-08-14, 11:55 AM
Generally curses are played on your turn, or when an opponent is looking for trouble, looting the room, or kicking in the door.

As for gaining a curse to use against other players, those are loot cards.

Alyorbase
2007-08-14, 11:57 AM
But when do you get to use a curse against your fellow players?

Just asking. Isn't "looking for trouble" the thing where you take a monster you got on your hand and then play it against yourself?

Yes when you are "looking for trouble" you are playing a monster from your hand to fight because you didn't draw one when you "kick open the door." You can play a curse against a fellow player anytime you want pretty much, mostly people just save them for combats so that it can really mess them up if it's the right curse. =) I LOVE the card game. I've played Munchkin Munchkin Fu and...the name of the last one escapes me at the moment, but it's the Undead, Vampire, Halloweenish Munchkin game. They are SO much fun.

EDIT: The one that I couldn't think of is Munchkin Bites

Sir Enigma
2007-08-14, 12:10 PM
Generally curses are played on your turn, or when an opponent is looking for trouble, looting the room, or kicking in the door.

As for gaining a curse to use against other players, those are loot cards.

If by loot cards you mean treasure cards, the ones you get for defeating a monster, there are no curses in there. You get curses in your hand if you kick down a door and don't get a monster or curse, and don't choose to go looking for trouble (play a monster from your hand) - you then draw another dungeon card into your hand, which can be a monster or curse for you to use later (or one of a few other things, don't remember which offhand)

Gaelbert
2007-08-14, 12:13 PM
Whoops. Yeah, I just got the terminology wrong. You can play curses on people anytime you want, usually. You just need the card.

Korias
2007-08-14, 12:14 PM
Thats Munchkin Macabre, the undead evil one.

I own Munchkin and Munchkin 4: The Need for Steed. Are the other expansions worth it and combinable with the original munchkin?

Its hillarious, quick, and fun to boot. Especialy if you team up with other people. We set up a monster which ended up with a bonus over level 50, which was something along the lines of an Ancient Humngous Katrina with Bagpipes, and something else. But I cant remember. Nedless to say, he was decimated. And then we took all his stuff. Ahhh.. the Glories of Backstabbing!

Anyway, if you want to start playing, pick up the original if you like DND, Munchkin Fu if you like Chinese, Star Munchkin if your into Starwars, And Munckin Macabre if you want spookyness. All are good.

Is Munchkin Blender a good buy?

Winterwind
2007-08-14, 12:15 PM
So... Does any of you know the game Munchkin? And what do you think about it. Which expansions pack, sequels and accessories do you own. Do you only play the card game or also the others.That game is awesome. I have three expansions of the normal game, and the World of Darkness one. Fun times. :smallbiggrin:
What do you mean by "the others", though? Is there something else in the Munchkin line besides card games?

How do I know if I get a given curse thrown on myself or if I get it up in my hand?If you draw a curse when kicking down a door (the first card you draw, openly), you get hit by it. If you draw it afterwards when looting the room (the second card you draw, hidden), you take it onto your hand.

Semidi
2007-08-14, 12:30 PM
I've played Munchkin "Bites", Star Muchkin, Cthulhu Munchkin, and Super Munckin. I only really play with my girlfriend who has all the decks, but it's a lot of fun. Lots of stratagy, moreso than I originally thought when I first started playing.

I like to mix Cthulhu Munchkin and Munchkin "Bites" because the two mix very well with eachother. I'm not too partial to Star Munchkin, though I love getting a Laser phazer tazer.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-14, 01:07 PM
That game is awesome. I have three expansions of the normal game, and the World of Darkness one. Fun times. :smallbiggrin:
What do you mean by "the others", though? Is there something else in the Munchkin line besides card games?

He could mean the various Munchkin accessories that have special rules. We own the Bookmark of Powerful Empowerment that lets you take one power from another player. All you have to do is Stand up, howl like a werewolf, run around the table three times yelling "I vant to vin, I vant to vin" and give the bookmark to them.

There are also T-Shirts that grant abilities to the wearer. They give additional bonuses if they are autographed by Steve Jackson or John Kovalic. We have the Munchkin Dice which include new cards and rules. There are also Munchkin miniatures.

I'm probably forgetting a few things but those are "other" things in the Munchkin line.

Thats Munchkin Macabre, the undead evil one.

I own Munchkin and Munchkin 4: The Need for Steed. Are the other expansions worth it and combinable with the original munchkin?
Yes. Munchkin 2 and 3 blend very well into Munchkin. They are better than Need for Steed, in my opinion.

Is Munchkin Blender a good buy?

Yes, if you have two different munchkin games or a munchkin game with 3+ expansions. It greatly helps cut down on the number of "user specific" items that you have but can't use.

Winterwind
2007-08-14, 01:44 PM
I'm probably forgetting a few things but those are "other" things in the Munchkin line.Ah. I see. Thanks for clearing it up.
...Yeah, this sounds like stuff they would do for Munchkin, allright. :smallbiggrin:

Yes. Munchkin 2 and 3 blend very well into Munchkin. They are better than Need for Steed, in my opinion.I second this notion. 2 and 3 are indeed better than 4.

Yes, if you have two different munchkin games or a munchkin game with 3+ expansions. It greatly helps cut down on the number of "user specific" items that you have but can't use.Huh. Sounds like I should try to get it, then.

Alyorbase
2007-08-14, 01:57 PM
I've played Munchkin "Bites", Star Muchkin, Cthulhu Munchkin, and Super Munckin. I only really play with my girlfriend who has all the decks, but it's a lot of fun. Lots of stratagy, moreso than I originally thought when I first started playing.

I like to mix Cthulhu Munchkin and Munchkin "Bites" because the two mix very well with eachother. I'm not too partial to Star Munchkin, though I love getting a Laser phazer tazer.

I like mixing decks too. I remember one time me and about 5 other friends mixed Munchkin Bites, Munchkin Fu, and original Munchkin together and played. I had a vampire cleric yakuza ahh goodtimes.

WampaX
2007-08-14, 01:59 PM

Its an odd game when I'm not a feline turned female with anti-matter diamond teeth. I mean, its just odd that that exact combination has happened on multiple occasions with Star Munchin for me.

We've been focusing on Super Munchkin and Spy Munchkin Recently, but we also enjoy Munchkin Bites mixed with Munchkin-Fu. Kalindo lives! :smallbiggrin:

PirateMonk
2007-08-14, 02:06 PM
Yes, Munchkin is fun. Especially the Kneepads of Allure.

King.Smurf
2007-08-14, 02:14 PM
Woah. You look away in 3 hours and then.... 14 posts:smallsmile: Good to see many of you know the game.

Well I have an announcement too make. I played the game for the first time yestarday:smallsigh: :smallsmile: . So I don't know any of the accessories and so on.

But I am still a little confused.

1. How do I get a curse on my hand, I can use against others? And when do I get cursed cast upon myself (Other ways than getting it by another Player.

And here is another question:

When I have a card which "Gives +5 to either site". Does it then give +5 to me and +5 to the monster, or what

Oh.. And a last one:

When another player, helps you in combat, is it okay not to offer any treasures but cards you have played instead?

One exstremly last thing: How much did you pay for the game?

Myself has to (If I ever will buy the game) 33.59 EUR. / 45.48 USD.

(Thanks again for the replies:smallsmile: )

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-14, 02:15 PM
Its an odd game when I'm not a feline turned female with anti-matter diamond teeth. I mean, its just odd that that exact combination has happened on multiple occasions with Star Munchin for me.

We've been focusing on Super Munchkin and Spy Munchkin Recently, but we also enjoy Munchkin Bites mixed with Munchkin-Fu. Kalindo lives! :smallbiggrin:

I don't have Spy Munchkin yet, but will by November probably. Or maybe it'll be christmas for someone. In either case, how's it play?

Winterwind
2007-08-14, 02:23 PM
Woah. You look away in 3 hours and then.... 14 posts:smallsmile: Good to see many of you know the game.

Well I have an announcement too make. I played the game for the first time yestarday:smallsigh: :smallsmile: . So I don't know any of the accessories and so on. Well, welcome to the game, then. :smallsmile:

1. How do I get a curse on my hand, I can use against others? And when do I get cursed cast upon myself (Other ways than getting it by another Player.Uhh... I answered this before: If you draw a curse when kicking down a door (the first card you draw, openly), you get hit by it. If you draw it afterwards when looting the room (the second card you draw, hidden), you take it onto your hand.
Am I expressing myself somehow unintelligibly here? If so, uh, I don't really know how to formulate it better, so I guess it would be up to a native speaker to answer you...

When I have a card which "Gives +5 to either site". Does it then give +5 to me and +5 to the monster, or whatThis means you may choose whether it shall give the bonus to you or the monster. Remember that you may use these items when other people are fighting, too. So, these items are either so that you can defeat a monster which is too powerful otherwise, or help a monster to become too powerful for another player who would defeat it otherwise.

Oh.. And a last one:

When another player, helps you in combat, is it okay not to offer any treasures but cards you have played instead?Cards you have played are gone. So, no.
Or do you mean permanent items from your inventory?
I guess that would be allowed.

PirateMonk
2007-08-14, 02:26 PM
1. When you Search the Room (what you can do instead of Looking for Trouble when you don't fight a monster) you put the card into your hand, no matter what it is, and it may be a curse, in which case you can play it on someone else at any time. When you Open a Door and get a curse, it affects you.

2. You choose a side, and that side gets the bonus.

3. You can give anyone who helps you anything you want, as long as they accept it.

King.Smurf
2007-08-14, 02:32 PM
Well, welcome to the game, then. :smallsmile:

Uhh... I answered this before: If you draw a curse when kicking down a door (the first card you draw, openly), you get hit by it. If you draw it afterwards when looting the room (the second card you draw, hidden), you take it onto your hand.
Am I expressing myself somehow unintelligibly here? If so, uh, I don't really know how to formulate it better, so I guess it would be up to a native speaker to answer you...

When you say "the second card you draw, hidden" is it then treasure cards? And is treasure cards the ones that the other players don't see.

And, no. You are not expressing yourself uintelligibly. Sometimes I just get lost in all the words:smallsmile:

This means you may chose whether it shall give the bonus to you or the monster. Remember that you may use these items when other people are fighting, too. So, these items are either so that you can defeat a monster which is to powerful otherwise, or help a monster to become to powerful for another player who would defeat it otherwise.

Oh:smallsmile:

Cards you have played are gone. So, no.
Or do you mean permanent items from your inventory?
I guess that would be allowed.

Cards like Boots of but kicking +2 and Helm of everstamp (Althought they don't exist:smallbiggrin: )

Well thanks for it. That cleared some of all the questions:smallsmile:

Winterwind
2007-08-14, 02:43 PM
When you say "the second card you draw, hidden" is it then treasure cards? And is treasure cards the ones that the other players don't see.No, it's the same kind of cards you draw when opening the door (sorry, I have the German translation of the game, so I don't know how these are called).
It's like this:

When you begin your turn, you decide whether you want to Look For Trouble (by playing a monster card from your hand and fighting the monster), or open a door, in which case you draw one of the cards with the door on it, in such a way that the other players can see what the card you draw is.
If you Looked For Trouble, or the card you draw when opening the door is a monster card, you fight the monster. If you defeat it, you get its treasure (which is treasure cards), but you do not loot the room anymore.
If the card you draw when opening a door is a curse, it affects you. If it's something other that happens instantly, like Divine Intervention, it happens at this moment, too. If it's something like a race or class, you take it onto your hand.
After opening the door, if you did not draw a monster, you loot the room. This means you draw yet another card with a door on its back, and this time in such a way the other players don't see the card you draw. If it's a curse now, you take it onto your hand. Likewise, if it's a monster, you get to keep it.

Cards like Boots of but kicking +2 and Helm of everstamp (Althought they don't exist )Ah. Yes, you could offer those.

BrokenButterfly
2007-08-14, 08:35 PM
I first encountered Munchkins at the Giantitp UK Meetup. I played a game with Munchkins Bites (and a Bites expansion too I think) and then a mega game to lvl 20 with the three core Munchkins sets shuffled together.

Personally I enjoyed Bites a lot more than traditional Munchkins, so I picked up a copy a few weeks after the event. I'm looking forward to it hopefully seeing use at my school boardgames club.

PirateMonk
2007-08-14, 08:44 PM
No, it's the same kind of cards you draw when opening the door (sorry, I have the German translation of the game, so I don't know how these are called).

Door cards.

It's like this:

When you begin your turn, you decide whether you want to Look For Trouble (by playing a monster card from your hand and fighting the monster), or open a door, in which case you draw one of the cards with the door on it, in such a way that the other players can see what the card you draw is. If you Looked For Trouble, or the card you draw when opening the door is a monster card, you fight the monster. If you defeat it, you get its treasure (which is treasure cards), but you do not loot the room anymore.
If the card you draw when opening a door is a curse, it affects you. If it's something other that happens instantly, like Divine Intervention, it happens at this moment, too. If it's something like a race or class, you take it onto your hand.
After opening the door, if you did not draw a monster, you loot the room. This means you draw yet another card with a door on its back, and this time in such a way the other players don't see the card you draw. If it's a curse now, you take it onto your hand. Likewise, if it's a monster, you get to keep it.

:smallconfused: I'm fairly sure you open a door, then fight it if it's a monster and loot the room to get its treasure, and then if it isn't a monster, you can either Search the Room to draw a door card or Look for Trouble and play a monster from your hand.

Semidi
2007-08-14, 09:45 PM
Rule question:

Situation:

I'm level 4 with nothing and one of my opponents is level 8 with loads of equipment. For all intensive purposes I've lost the game. I turn over a level 18 monster that I cannot beat. The level 8 person is feeling cocky so she decided to help me in exchange for all of the treasure, which I agree to.

Now this is what my hand looks like...

+10 to Monster Level
+5 to Monster/Character Level
-2/+2 to run away.
And two random monster cards.

So she helps me, and I slap down the +10 & +5 cards for the monster, making it level 33--way out of anyone's league. Now, an argument sprang up saying that my opponent could decide not to help anymore. It was decided that for this game, she was screwed. Though the dirty, dirty move is still argued about.

This is how the hand ended:

I gave her a -2 to run away and she rolled a 5. Dead. The ironic thing was that she had a wandering monster card AND cthulhu (level 20).

I however, rolled a 6 and ended up winning the game.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-08-14, 09:48 PM
Munchkin is a great game. I've played the original, Space Munchkin, Munchkin Fu, and I own Munchkin Impossible. I've never played it but I hear the Munchkin D20 is a lot of fun too.

Winterwind
2007-08-15, 04:30 AM
Door cards.Ah. Yeah, makes sense. :smallbiggrin:

:smallconfused: I'm fairly sure you open a door, then fight it if it's a monster and loot the room to get its treasure, and then if it isn't a monster, you can either Search the Room to draw a door card or Look for Trouble and play a monster from your hand.*checks*
Whoa! :smalleek:
Yes, you're right - which means all these years we've been doing it wrong!
Oh, well. King.Smurf, listen to PirateMonk, for he is right and speaks true. :smallsmile:

So she helps me, and I slap down the +10 & +5 cards for the monster, making it level 33--way out of anyone's league. Now, an argument sprang up saying that my opponent could decide not to help anymore. It was decided that for this game, she was screwed. Though the dirty, dirty move is still argued about. Once she's agreed to help you, she can't back out. That's the funny thing about boosting monsters which are fighting a player who gets help from another player - you can hurt both of them.

King.Smurf
2007-08-15, 08:33 AM
Ah. Yeah, makes sense. :smallbiggrin:

*checks*
Whoa! :smalleek:
Yes, you're right - which means all these years we've been doing it wrong!(KM:*grining*)
Oh, well. King.Smurf, listen to PirateMonk, for he is right and speaks true. :smallsmile: (KM: Right;))

Once she's agreed to help you, she can't back out. That's the funny thing about boosting monsters which are fighting a player who gets help from another player - you can hurt both of them.

Yeah. Thanks PirateMonk for the help:smallsmile: That cleared a lot of confusion.

Castaras
2007-08-15, 10:55 AM
I have Munchkin and Munchkin Unnatural Axe.

Awesome game. Although too many expansions kinda slows the game down alot....

Alyorbase
2007-08-15, 03:45 PM
On the subject of Munchkin...anyone ever picked up the Munchkin Players Handbook, Munchkin Monster Manual, or the Munchkin Master's Guide? I have seen all those books (and in theory you could run a D20 system game with them) and trust me, if anyone ever ran a game with those books...hillarity would DEFINITELY ensue. :smallamused:

Winterwind
2007-08-15, 06:04 PM
I have Munchkin and Munchkin Unnatural Axe.

Awesome game. Although too many expansions kinda slows the game down alot....That's true.
I think the optimum was reached for us when we were using Munchkin, Unnatural Axe, and Clerical Errors. This adds sufficiently different things (Gnomes - the by far most powerful race for classic Munchkin!) while not becoming too much yet.

On the subject of Munchkin...anyone ever picked up the Munchkin Players Handbook, Munchkin Monster Manual, or the Munchkin Master's Guide? I have seen all those books (and in theory you could run a D20 system game with them) and trust me, if anyone ever ran a game with those books...hillarity would DEFINITELY ensue. :smallamused:Unfortunately, not, but I heard about them, and they are supposedly awesome. :smallbiggrin:

bigbaddragon
2007-08-15, 07:52 PM
I played Munchkin once at the gaming club and I liked it very very much. Liked the motto too:

"Kill the monsters. Get the treasure. Stab your buddy."