PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items that hold off old age?

DataPacRat
2017-09-27, 06:22 PM
I'm on the hunt for a magic item that can be used to indefinitely prolong someone's lifespan, in that they wouldn't die from old age if it were properly applied. I'm trying to avoid things like potions of youth that have a chance of backfiring; and if I can, I'd like to avoid a solution that involves changing species.

I'd thought I found a good approach, by adapting an existing Epic spell that does the trick - until I found the line that epic spells can't be turned into magic items. I don't suppose there's a known method to get around that prohibition? For example, is this description (http://faerun.wikia.com/wiki/Nether_Scrolls) of the Nether Scrolls' fifth ability accurate?

(The reason: in a JumpChain scenario, I'm working out a decent set of gifts for a high-level-wizard Santa Jumper to give to everyone on a modern Earth. He'll have Christmas Magic available to make billions of copies, and to do the deliveries, so those won't be an issue. Some of the higher priorities seem to be curing cancer, AIDS, and more with Periapts of Health; curing famine with Sustaining Spoons; preventing many firearms deaths with Starmantle Cloaks (or a more conveniently-shaped equivalent); and from there working down the list of causes of death and of reduced QALYs, such as by preventing drownings with an item of Water Breathing. Once the most significant problems are dealt with, he hopes to move on to other useful gadgets such as magical versions of 3D printers via Fabricate-spell items, or magic smartphones, or items of Heart's Ease (from Exalted Deeds), or transport, or if politicians start annoying him, glasses with Discern Lies and Owl's Wisdom.)

ViperMagnum357
2017-09-27, 06:37 PM
There are several adventures in Castle Maure printed in Dungeon magazine #112, #124, and #139. In #139, I think, you get to the bottom and part of the rewards are a series of minor artifacts, specifically one-shot elixirs. One of these is an Elixir of Immortality-once used, you will never die of old age, but every century will degrade your physical ability scores to a minimum of 1. Ugly, but as a minor artifact an Epic character should be able to create it with enough time and resources. And it is a permanent effect that cannot be taken away with anything short of a Wish/Miracle or something equally powerful, and not requiring updates, specific items, charging, swearing yourself to a power/patron or changing type; which makes it unique or close to it.

Feantar
2017-09-27, 07:22 PM
This is going to be creepy but, it works.

First, you'll need the spell Kissed by the Ages dragon 354. It's an 9th level spell and has an XP component, as well as a small magic item component (ring, necklace) of a minimum value of 4000 gp. The spell stalls the subject's aging as long as they wear the ring.

Now, since you're talking about common people, they cannot use scrolls, so you'll need a spell completion item that can contain 9th level spells - only ones I know of are Skull Talismans from Frostburn. Craft Skull Talisman binds a spell into a skull of a dead creature and casts the spell to whomever brakes the skull. You need a large skull for a 9th level spell.

You capture a troll. You buy multiple magic rings of value 4000+ gp (I'd buy cursed items since the spell removed all previous magic from the ring - so you'll be lessening the cursed items in the world). You cut off the trolls head, embed the ring to the skull, craft your Skull talisman, you inscribe "This is your gift - love, Santa" on the ring, meanwhile the head has regrown... iterate.

Finally, for each talisman you buy a paper box, and a club.

You draw the box with beautiful bright colours, hang it from their roof, and write "Break me, Gift Inside!" on the side. You offer the complementary club.

And the grim tradition of the Christmas Skull Piñata was born.

Less Creepy, but limited in application:

Find a Master Alchemist (Pathfinder) who can brew 9th level potions - bundle the ring with the potion.
Use Attune Gem(Magic of Faerun) to make a 9th level spell completion gem - bundle ring as above.

Blackhawk748
2017-09-27, 09:03 PM
You could probably just use Polymorph Any Object every decade or so to put you back into your younger body.

Thurbane
2017-09-27, 09:27 PM
I'm sure there's a Picture of Dorian Gray (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray) knockoff in 3E somewhere...now where was it again?

Ah, here it is: Gray Portrait (major artifact) - Champions of Ruin, page 43.

Psyren
2017-09-28, 10:00 AM
Pathfinder has Sun Orchid Elixir (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicArtifactsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Sun%20Orchid%2 0Elixir), a minor artifact that resets you to Young Adult whenever you drink a dose of it. You keep your mental bonuses while erasing the physical penalties due to age. So long as you can keep making and drinking it, you can live indefinitely, though of course Axis/Mechanus might not be thrilled.

Vaern
2017-09-28, 01:14 PM
You could probably just use Polymorph Any Object every decade or so to put you back into your younger body.
I've tried looking up how polymorph interacts with aging and there is pretty much nothing on the subject. I've seen posts by people saying that Polymorph Any Object explicitly says you can't make yourself immortal with it, though I see nothing of the sort in the description myself. Druids and monks eventually stop aging physically but will still die of old age, and it seems to be generally accepted that polymorphing yourself into a younger body would work the same way even though I can't find any actual RAW on the subject.
But, even if it did work, the duration would be "permanent" rather than "instantaneous," meaning that dying would be as easy as accidentally stepping into an antimagic field. It would still, however, eliminate the ability score penalties and bonuses of your aging for as long as you kept it up.

Reincarnate brings you back to life in the body of a young adult. There's another one in Spell Compendium called Last Breath, which is like the reincarnation version of Revenance: A low-level spell that brings the subject back with no level loss, but can only be cast within one round of the subject's death. Giving yourself a fresh new body every once in a while is the easiest way to keep yourself young without resorting to epic-level magic or artifacts.
After being reincarnated you can polymorph yourself back into a young adult version of your original body - not to attempt to change your age category in this instance, but returning to your original race and ensuring that the physical characteristics of your new body are recognizable to your friends and associates (and enemies). Wishing rather than polymorphing to reshaped your new body into your original form would be more reliable, as it can then be considered an instantaneous effect rather than a permanent transmutation and thus not subject to dispelling.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-09-28, 03:51 PM
The psychoactive skin of proteus turns your body into a fixed version of whatever creature you turn into, as does that polymorph necklace that only turns you into a single form. So as long as you stay in the other form and refresh it occasionally, you should remain whatever the default is for that form (typically young adult, though it varies by the creature, of course -- see the variously aged dragons as an example).

rferries
2017-09-29, 01:06 AM
Rod of security (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#security) - every week activate it and go to a paradise where you don't age for 200 days. You'll die of old age eventually but not for a lonnnnnnnng time.

Zaq
2017-09-29, 01:46 AM
It's the exact opposite of practical, but maybe an intelligent item that's crafted by githyanki and therefore native to the Astral Plane, and it has a constant/at-will Planar Bubble effect? You'd have to make sure that you never lose the effect for any reason ever, since time catches up with you once you're no longer on the Astral, but it would still give you the Timeless effect.

As I said, it's the exact opposite of practical, but it's amusing.

Inevitability
2017-09-29, 02:28 AM
Rod of security (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#security) - every week activate it and go to a paradise where you don't age for 200 days. You'll die of old age eventually but not for a lonnnnnnnng time.

Just get two rods, and if possible some kind of contingency that activates one the moment the other runs out.

RoboEmperor
2017-09-29, 04:32 AM
Envelop yourself in Quintessence.

Inevitability
2017-09-29, 04:41 AM
A scroll of Flesh to Stone should work.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-09-29, 05:29 AM
Planar bind a nightmare using a scroll, store your body on the Astral Plane or a timeless demiplane, and use the nightmare to astrally project onto the material plane. So long as nobody futzes with your body or sucks out your soul, you're now both functionally immortal and practically invulnerable.

Psyren
2017-09-29, 08:19 AM
Just get two rods, and if possible some kind of contingency that activates one the moment the other runs out.

If you can call it living.

(Actually - is there a way to combine this with Acorn of Far Travel? That might be a route to immortality.)

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-09-29, 09:57 AM

(Actually - is there a way to combine this with Acorn of Far Travel? That might be a route to immortality.)If the plane is timeless in regards to magic, that makes it permanent; then just find one of the many ways to make an acorn (Su) to make it undispellable, then implant it in your body to make it unstealable. For even better results, get Ysgard's trait to resurrect you when you die, and you'll be all set.

rferries
2017-09-29, 10:33 AM

Duh, I should have thought of that.

Envelop yourself in Quintessence.

A scroll of Flesh to Stone should work.

Ha! Caveat emptor, indeed... next suggestion should be to wish for immortality from an efreeti or pit fiend - what could go wrong? :D

Planar bind a nightmare using a scroll, store your body on the Astral Plane or a timeless demiplane, and use the nightmare to astrally project onto the material plane. So long as nobody futzes with your body or sucks out your soul, you're now both functionally immortal and practically invulnerable.

The ol' Astral loophole, incidentally I just tried revising (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?537722-Astral-Projection-(revised))that spell.

(Actually - is there a way to combine this with Acorn of Far Travel? That might be a route to immortality.)

Well, the paradise dimension is described as pretty swanky so it wouldn't be so bad, maybe just lonely.

Inevitability
2017-09-29, 10:43 AM
Well, the paradise dimension is described as pretty swanky so it wouldn't be so bad, maybe just lonely.

Nothing that's keeping you from taking other people along. You need a duration of 7 days so the other rod can recharge, but that still allows you to take 27 creatures with you. There's plenty of interesting people who'd be okay with getting to spend eternity in a wonderful paradise.

Psyren
2017-09-29, 11:05 AM

No bacon or sushi for eternity? Hard, hard pass :smalltongue:

Zaq
2017-09-29, 11:39 AM
If the plane is timeless in regards to magic, that makes it permanent; then just find one of the many ways to make an acorn (Su) to make it undispellable, then implant it in your body to make it unstealable. For even better results, get Ysgard's trait to resurrect you when you die, and you'll be all set.

You have to recast the Acorn periodically, so I don't see implanting it in your body as being a permanent solution.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-09-29, 11:51 AM
You have to recast the Acorn periodically, so I don't see implanting it in your body as being a permanent solution.That's why I specifically mentioned the plane being timeless in regards to magic. Any effect cast on that plane remains permanent while it's on that plane, and since the holder of the acorn (and all of his equipment, including the acorn itself) are considered to be on that plane wherever they are...

No bacon or sushi for eternity? Hard, hard pass :smalltongue:That's what heroes' feast is for (including the magnificent mansion effect).

Hmm. Can you specify what dishes you want as part of the spell? Can you improve the flavor fluff-wise via ranks in Craft (Cooking/Baking/Etc)?

rferries
2017-09-29, 12:21 PM
Nothing that's keeping you from taking other people along. You need a duration of 7 days so the other rod can recharge, but that still allows you to take 27 creatures with you. There's plenty of interesting people who'd be okay with getting to spend eternity in a wonderful paradise.

And you can invest in even more rods for more people, without anyone getting left behind. Genius!

Bohandas
2017-11-25, 01:10 AM
I'm sure there's a Picture of Dorian Gray (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray) knockoff in 3E somewhere...now where was it again?

Ah, here it is: Gray Portrait (major artifact) - Champions of Ruin, page 43.

I think it was also reprinted in an online Wotc article

Yanisa
2017-11-25, 01:47 AM
Pathfinder has a Mantle of Immortality (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Mantle%20of%20 Immortality). Only 50,000 GP too.

And just in case:
It uses a similar theme as the Wizard Discovery Immortalliy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-discoveries/arcane-discoveries-paizo/immortality/), which is confirmed (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2o3yo?Immortality-arcane-discovery#22) to prevent death from old age (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2o3yo?Immortality-arcane-discovery#4).

Edit: Also this topic (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2mmot?Questions-on-Eternal-Youth-and-Immortality). Specifically this post (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2mmot?Questions-on-Eternal-Youth-and-Immortality#3) and this post (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2mmot?Questions-on-Eternal-Youth-and-Immortality#7). I do wish Paizo/Pathfinder was more direct with it's immortality statements (i.e. stating you cannot die of old age).

skunk3
2017-11-25, 04:39 AM
Unless I am mistaken, attaining 10th level of Eldritch Disciple essentially makes you immortal. Here's the exerpt:

"Timeless Body: Beginning at 10th level, the divine power of your patron infuses you with eternal vigor. You no longer age." To me, "eternal vigor" means just that - eternal.

Vaern
2017-11-25, 05:43 PM
You'd have to look into that and make sure it's not errata'd to be identical to other instance of timeless body, which state that you no longer suffer from the penalties of aging but are still subject to death by old age.

And besides that, a class feature isn't a magic item, so it still wouldn't quite fit the bill anyway.

*Edit*
Looked up eldritch disciple. Looks like the timeless body entry references PH 37, which is the druid's timeless body description. Thus, as far as mechanics go, it should function the same as the druid version. They'll still die of old age.

skunk3
2017-11-25, 10:07 PM
You'd have to look into that and make sure it's not errata'd to be identical to other instance of timeless body, which state that you no longer suffer from the penalties of aging but are still subject to death by old age.

And besides that, a class feature isn't a magic item, so it still wouldn't quite fit the bill anyway.

*Edit*
Looked up eldritch disciple. Looks like the timeless body entry references PH 37, which is the druid's timeless body description. Thus, as far as mechanics go, it should function the same as the druid version. They'll still die of old age.

I dunno. I'd still argue about this one. Even though it references the Timeless Body from the Druid entry in the PHB, to me it seems like it is different, and probably just for reference. (?) Both of the abilities have the same name but I think that the wording is different enough for a valid argument. For the druid it says that you simply no longer take ability score penalties for aging, and that you will still die when it is your time. The description for Timeless Body under Eldritch Disciple says that you NO LONGER AGE. That's different than simply not taking age-based penalties. It also specifically says that you are infused with eternal vigor. Eternal. I do admit that the reference to page 37 of the PHB can obviously mean that it should function exactly the same as for the Druid, but I dunno. I think this is a RAI vs. RAW issue here, perhaps? If my DM questions this, I'm going to argue with him a bit. I checked the errata and there is nothing in there regarding the Eldritch Disciple. I think that immortality kinda fits with the flavor of an Eldritch Disciple as well, moreso than it does for a Druid... in fact, it doesn't really make any sense for a Druid at all (in terms of flavor), but an extended lifespan would.

Vaern
2017-11-25, 10:48 PM
I think the description of the ability itself is just flavor, and the reference to the druid version is the mechanical functionality. Druids gain their youth via their connection to nature, monks by achieving a level of physical and spiritual balance, and the eldritch disciple by grace of god. But despite the source of their youth, their timeless bodies are all considered the same ability and function the same.
Otherwise, there's nothing indicating that the eldritch disciple still gains the bonuses for aging while ignoring the penalties, though some may consider that an acceptable sacrifice in exchange for a ruling that they have no expiration date.

skunk3
2017-11-26, 12:21 AM
I think the description of the ability itself is just flavor, and the reference to the druid version is the mechanical functionality. Druids gain their youth via their connection to nature, monks by achieving a level of physical and spiritual balance, and the eldritch disciple by grace of god. But despite the source of their youth, their timeless bodies are all considered the same ability and function the same.
Otherwise, there's nothing indicating that the eldritch disciple still gains the bonuses for aging while ignoring the penalties, though some may consider that an acceptable sacrifice in exchange for a ruling that they have no expiration date.

But there is no bonus for aging, only penalties. If you do not age, you do not suffer penalties.

Don't get me wrong -- I see where you are coming from. I think that it can be argued either way is all I'm getting at.

Vaern
2017-11-26, 02:14 AM
Your mental attributes actually increase by one point per age category, adding up to a +3 bonus to int/wis/cha at venerable. It's a really good perk for a caster, but the physical penalties are absolutely crippling and generally deter people from making their wizards extremely old for the int bonus.

Tohsaka Rin
2017-11-26, 01:13 PM
What about changing to a race that's... Basically human?

Become an Elan. By polymorphing (instead of being shaped into one by the actual species) you'll pretty much look exactly the same.

Downsides? You're not human anymore.

Upsides? You're an Elan, basically better than a human in a lot of ways. Hello immortality (as long as you're not killed), free minor psionic ability, never getting hungry again (innate ability to use that minor psionic ability to never need food), and only needing to sleep about half as long as you used to.

Free bonus, no more world hunger, if everyone is an Elan.

Free penalty, all existing Elans become hipsters, because 'they were Elan, before it was cool'. :smallbiggrin:

lbuttitta
2017-11-28, 08:00 AM
Still not quite a magic item, but there was an epic spell Ioulaum's longevity, from Lost Empires of Faerun, which is essentially a disintegrate-ball, but extends the caster's current age category by 1 year for each creature the spell slays. Its Spellcraft DC is 152, though, so only a very powerful archmage could pull it off.
Or the feat, Wedded to History from Dragon #354, grants you no strings-attached immortality, with the added bonus of being very flavorful. Look it up, it might be what you're looking for.

Jack_Simth
2017-11-28, 08:28 AM
What about changing to a race that's... Basically human?

Become an Elan. By polymorphing (instead of being shaped into one by the actual species) you'll pretty much look exactly the same.

Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) will make you an Elan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#elans), but there's some caveats:

1) Polymorph Any Object does not grant Su or Sp abilities via inheritence from Polymorph. Most of the abilities you're after (other than agelessness) are Su. Also: The only Ex abilities it grants are Ex attacks, so you don't even get the power points.
2) It makes everyone have the same Intelligence score (10). This will be bad roughly 50% of the time, assuming humans in general roll 3d6 straight through.
3) None of the polymorph spells directly list lifespan things at all. Your mileage may vary depending on the DM.

So... yeah, Feantar's solution is probably the "easiest" for 3.5 - single-shot use-activated items of Kissed By the Ages combined with some other item that people will want to always wear anyway (preferably cursed so it can't be removed - ).

Edit: OH! SOLUTION!!!!

CURSED ITEMS!!! The Drawback (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#drawback) table has "Character’s race or kind changes." straight-up with no caveats. The new race is "Elan". Combine with a cheap but useful ring - Sustenance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#sustenance), perhaps - and have it "cursed" to be unremovable, and you're set.

randowar
2017-12-02, 08:28 PM
There are several adventures in Castle Maure printed in Dungeon magazine #112, #124, and #139. In #139, I think, you get to the bottom and part of the rewards are a series of minor artifacts, specifically one-shot elixirs. One of these is an Elixir of Immortality-once used, you will never die of old age, but every century will degrade your physical ability scores to a minimum of 1. Ugly, but as a minor artifact an Epic character should be able to create it with enough time and resources. And it is a permanent effect that cannot be taken away with anything short of a Wish/Miracle or something equally powerful, and not requiring updates, specific items, charging, swearing yourself to a power/patron or changing type; which makes it unique or close to it.

Sorry Viper, I just dont see that elixir in either of the 3 referenced magazines. Is it possible you were thinking of another source? Thanks!

Demidos
2017-12-03, 11:13 PM
Can't you just Reincarnate, as per the druid spell? It makes you a young adult, and you should be able to cast it via Wish or Limited Wish. Normally, it will change your race, but it has a chance to be any race -- It sounds like the OP is the DM, but even if not, i'd think most DM's would be totally cool with a Wish/Limited Wish being used to assure that you stay as the same race.

In other words, the item would drain the user's XP, but in exchange would kill the user via Painless Death (1st level cleric spell, kills willing target), then cast contingent Reincarnate + wish/limited wish to ensure the right race.

100% custom item, but should work.

ViperMagnum357
2017-12-04, 12:09 AM
^^@randowar: Gah, it was the first module, not the third. Dungeon Magazine #112, page 80. Elixir of Eternity, under the 'treasure' section. From the first Castle Maure module. Single use minor artifact.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-12-04, 12:15 AM
^^@randowar: Gah, it was the first module, not the third. Dungeon Magazine #112, page 80. Elixir of Eternity, under the 'treasure' section. From the first Castle Maure module. Single use minor artifact.So, available for 5 gp from a spell component pouch, then.

ViperMagnum357
2017-12-04, 12:55 PM
^...I do not get the reference. :smallfrown:

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-12-04, 01:17 PM
^...I do not get the reference. :smallfrown:Assuming you mean my last post, spell component pouches cost a mere 5 gp and provide any components for spells that cost do not have a cost and those that cost less than 1 gp. There is a spell in the Book of Vile Darkness that requires an artifact as a spell component. Artifacts (both lesser and greater) do not have a cost. Thus, you can pull artifacts out of your spell component pouch.

ViperMagnum357
2017-12-04, 04:25 PM
^Ah...that seems like the sort of thing that will summon a hefty sourcebook towards your head at high speed. In any case, if the DM wants to get semantic back they can cite the ELH which specifies that at least some minor artifacts can be created by Epic level characters with the right knowledge, citing a couple of examples; working from that they can declare any minor artifact to have a market price and creation cost, even if the characters lack the means of constructing them.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-12-04, 05:00 PM
^Ah...that seems like the sort of thing that will summon a hefty sourcebook towards your head at high speed. In any case, if the DM wants to get semantic back they can cite the ELH which specifies that at least some minor artifacts can be created by Epic level characters with the right knowledge, citing a couple of examples; working from that they can declare any minor artifact to have a market price and creation cost, even if the characters lack the means of constructing them.Rule Zero is always a thing in an actual game, but according to the rules:

Material (M)
A material component is one or more physical substances or objects that are annihilated by the spell energies in the casting process. Unless a cost is given for a material component, the cost is negligible. Don’t bother to keep track of material components with negligible cost. Assume you have all you need as long as you have your spell component pouch.Note that the books don't give costs for the vast majority of artifacts, and so the above rules apply.

Also, quoting posts you're responding to is your friend.

Psyren
2017-12-04, 05:07 PM
I mean, if what we care about is the letter of the RAW, there's also this line:

No table has been included to randomly generate specific artifacts, since these items should only enter a campaign through deliberate choice on your part.

"Your" means the DM, since that line is in the DMG, and since it's specific to artifacts it trumps the general pouch rule. If the DM doesn't deliberately choose for them to enter the campaign, they don't, pouch or no pouch.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-12-04, 05:14 PM
I mean, if what we care about is the letter of the RAW, there's also this line:

"Your" means the DM, since that line is in the DMG, and since it's specific to artifacts it trumps the general pouch rule. If the DM doesn't deliberately choose for them to enter the campaign, they don't, pouch or no pouch.Which is why you do research on all the artifacts you can find info on. If a useful one is in the campaign setting...

:smallcool:

Nifft
2017-12-04, 05:23 PM
^Ah...that seems like the sort of thing that will summon a hefty sourcebook towards your head at high speed. In any case, if the DM wants to get semantic back they can cite the ELH which specifies that at least some minor artifacts can be created by Epic level characters with the right knowledge, citing a couple of examples; working from that they can declare any minor artifact to have a market price and creation cost, even if the characters lack the means of constructing them.

Here's an example of quoting.

I got the above by hitting this link on your post:

https://i.imgur.com/HNQ8KsD.png

ViperMagnum357
2017-12-04, 05:33 PM
Here's an example of quoting.

I got the above by hitting this link on your post:

https://i.imgur.com/HNQ8KsD.png

I got it. :smalltongue: Just been posting on other forums with crappy quote functions.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-12-04, 05:45 PM
I got it. :smalltongue: Just been posting on other forums with crappy quote functions.Oh, that's so much better.

OCD itch scratched.