PDA

View Full Version : Can't remember the name or source content of a feat.

Luciandevine
2017-09-27, 06:52 PM
This was a fair few years ago, and I was making a level 15 character for a 3.5E campaign. All sources and books were open, including all Quintessentials and Mongoose Supplements. I distinctly recall a feat that did the following, but can't for the life of me remember where it's from...

The feat, if I remember it correctly, gave a +1 Bonus to attack rolls that stacked with Weapon Focus. If you had Weapon Focus, it also gave +2 to damage rolls, which stacked with Weapon Specialization. If you had Weapon Specialization, it double the weapons crit range, as per Improved Critical and Keen, but did not stack with them. If you had Improved Critical, it increased the crit mod of the weapon by +1.

I am 100% certain that I did not imagine this feat, but, like I said, can't for the life of me remember where it was from and what the name of the feat was. You guys are always so knowledgeable about such things, and I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me out with this dilemma.

tedcahill2
2017-09-27, 06:58 PM
This was a fair few years ago, and I was making a level 15 character for a 3.5E campaign. All sources and books were open, including all Quintessentials and Mongoose Supplements. I distinctly recall a feat that did the following, but can't for the life of me remember where it's from...

The feat, if I remember it correctly, gave a +1 Bonus to attack rolls that stacked with Weapon Focus. If you had Weapon Focus, it also gave +2 to damage rolls, which stacked with Weapon Specialization. If you had Weapon Specialization, it double the weapons crit range, as per Improved Critical and Keen, but did not stack with them. If you had Improved Critical, it increased the crit mod of the weapon by +1.

I am 100% certain that I did not imagine this feat, but, like I said, can't for the life of me remember where it was from and what the name of the feat was. You guys are always so knowledgeable about such things, and I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me out with this dilemma.

That doesn't sound like a feat I've ever seen. Maybe you were browsing the homebrew wiki by mistake.

Luciandevine
2017-09-27, 07:02 PM
No, I don't think so. I could swear that the feat was named "Exotic Master", and required 15 levels of Fighter, in addition to other things.

I bought Quint Fighter cause I thought it was from there, but it wasn't, lol.

Quint Fighter 2 perhaps?

KillianHawkeye
2017-09-27, 08:04 PM
That is definitely not a WotC feat. Not even Dragon Magazine had stuff that ridiculous in it! Unfortunately, that's all I can tell you for sure.

rferries
2017-09-27, 11:24 PM
Sounds like you should brew it up! An elegant idea - a feat that synergises with other feats!

Crake
2017-09-28, 12:00 AM
That is definitely not a WotC feat. Not even Dragon Magazine had stuff that ridiculous in it! Unfortunately, that's all I can tell you for sure.

He did say that 3rd party books were part of the kitchen sink in that particular game

Luciandevine
2017-09-28, 12:24 PM
Okay, I think I finally figured it out. I distinctly remember that they were in the Quintessential Fighter 3E Mongoose book, but then when I bought the book just now, it wasn't in there. Upon doing further research online, it turns out that there is a revised and expanded version...who knew... This is important because in the version that I had before, I also distinctly remember the "massive" feat. That feat is also not in the book that I have right now. So...I think that "Exotic Mastery" is a feat that was added to the expanded and revised version of the book, something that I must have gotten way back when without even knowing that there was an original version.

Does anybody happen to have a copy of this book or a pdf and can confirm that I am right?

ViperMagnum357
2017-09-28, 01:14 PM
My copy of Quintessential Fighter 1 is copyright 2001, and there is nothing in there like that. In Quintessential Fighter 2 there is the Greater Critical Feat under the 'Advanced Combat Feats' in 'Tricks of the Trade', which requires Improved Critical as a prerequisite, and increases the damage multiplier by 1. I think that might be what you are looking for. Page 91 in my copy.

Luciandevine
2017-09-28, 01:22 PM
From what I saw on ENWorld, the revised and expanded version came out in 2002.

That being said, does your book have the "Massive" feat? It lets you start the game as a generic race, whose base size is medium or smaller, and be one size category larger. The book that I had at the time for sure had "Massive" in it.

I am familiar with the feat that you are talking about.That is in the "expanded feat tree" section of the book. The character build that I used ended up with a Flamberge that was 15-20/X5. He was a Wrecker with Greater Critical and what I swear was called "Exotic Mastery". I don't remember the damage of it off hand, but I know it was at least 8d6, possibly 12d6 per hit.

ViperMagnum357
2017-09-28, 02:51 PM
Mmmm...Wrecker provides free Weapon Focus/Specialization and greater versions of both, improved critical with an extra +1 to the multiplier, and allows you to move up one weapon size via 'Large Weapon Proficiency', which has an extra caveat for exotic weapons; you can take a special exotic weapon proficiency allowing you to wield a two-handed exotic with one hand at a -2 attack penalty. I cannot find 'massive' anywhere in the book. In Quintessential Barbarian 2 there is the 'Massive' armor enchantment, which allows you to be treated as large size for the purposes of resisting attacks like grappling, tripping, bullrushing and the the like. You sure it was a flamberge? The closest I can find is the Zweihander from QB1, which is 2d8 18-20/x2.

Luciandevine
2017-09-28, 03:34 PM
Hmm, in hindsight there is a chance that it might have been a Zweihander, if only because I remember the weapon being exotic, unless that is another thing that was changed in the revised version, cause let's be honest. If F.lamberge is a martial weapon, as shown on page 46 of the original version, why wouldn't you take it over a greatsword if you have the gold?

Back to the Zweihander, I am again fairly confident that it was a flamberge, because I remember when I was writing out all of the damages, it was all in D6's, not D8's. And increasing the size and dmg of a Zweihander increases by a margin of D8's...I think.