PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Soulknife Except Not Psionic?

80sSkeletor
2017-09-27, 11:48 PM
So I ran into a problemo while making an Umbragen Soulknife.
In Expanded Psionics Handbook it fully explains the Soul Knife base class. However looking back at the description of Umbragen (Dragon Mag Issue 330) it gives the racial substitution of Shadow Soul Knives. What the Shadow variant does is replace a few things but one replacement makes me question the Mind Blade itself.
At first level, the Bonus Feat Wild Talent is replaced with Stealthy and Knowledge:[Psionics] with Knowledge:[Arcana]. Wild Talent is stated as being the reason that Soul Knives can conjure the blade at all. Combine this with the Knowledge replacement and I'm left wondering.

Due to the nature of the switch, would the Umbragen Mind Blade be Arcane rather than Psionic?

Prime32
2017-09-28, 12:19 PM
Yep. .

NontheistCleric
2017-09-28, 01:56 PM
Magical, perhaps. But magic is not inherently arcane.

The Viscount
2017-09-28, 01:56 PM
I would be inclined to agree that this blade would now be derived from some arcane power. I feel we can safely ignore the bit about needing PP to manifest the soulknife, since you can manifest your mind blade even if you use all your PP.

As far as mechanics go, without wild talent, you would need to change some things. Speed of thought can't be used since you don't have psionic focus. Because a regular Soulknife had no reason to expend their focus, this was essentially barbarian's fast movement. As such, I think you can safely replace it with fast movement.
The substitution level replaces it with the bow, which is pretty poor in comparison to Soulbow, but another option.

Psychic Strike is explicitly mentioned to be made of evil shadow, but you could also use the Bonus Feat ACF (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) which I would recommend for most soulknives anyway.

Since the class is no longer psionic in nature with the substitution level, a few of the special abilities for the mind blade that are about interacting with psionics should perhaps be changed, but it's not a big issue since those aren't the ones you'd usually be choosing.