PDA

View Full Version : Witchfire Trilogy

Attilargh
2007-08-14, 12:02 PM
I'm really in love with the Iron Kingdoms, and have been looking towards trying my hand at DMing. The problem is, I couldn't invent an adventure to save my life! When I try, my brain just seems to freeze over. Thus, as I recently had the opportunity to leaf through the Witchfire Trilogy Collected Edition, I fell in love. After all, this here was an award-winning adventure of one of the biggest events in the Kingdoms' recent history, almost as thick as the World Guide and... Er, costs 35 euros. I've got some savings, but I've been spending them quite liberally through the summer and am really not very keen on investing on anything at the moment.

So, does anyone have experience with the Witchfire, especially the collection? Have you found it worth picking up, or should I turn my gaze at, say, the Monsternomicons or the Liber Mechanika and just work harder with the plot?

rollfrenzy
2007-08-14, 12:09 PM
I got the first two books from EBAY for about $6 american. So it was definately worth that. You should check around online and see if you can get them for something less than cost.

But they were well laid out and a good addition and introduction to the world IMHO.

Randalor
2007-08-14, 12:10 PM
I havn't had a chance to do a run through WFT yet, but I have it and read it all. I would suggest picking up the Monsternomicon vol. 1 and making some side-dungeons or mini-quests to do during the downtime between the "chapters" of the story.

If you want to use the same group in a bigger IK game after, maybe introduce some elements that are major in IK but absent in WFT *Cryx, for instance, is pretty much a no-show in WFT, but a major player in the world of IK* and expand on some of the more dull parts of the story.

Attilargh
2007-08-15, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the replies, but I'm not actually looking for hints running the adventure, as I don't own it yet. I'm just wondering what are the good parts and what are the bad parts, is it a good way to start DMing, is the collection any better than the original, that sort of stuff. Essentially, I'd just like a thorough review of the big white book so that I know what I'll be getting when I reach for my wallet.

I don't like shopping in eBay or other web auctions, as I have problems trusting people. In other words, I want to know who I can sue if I don't get what I paid for. :smalltongue:

rollfrenzy
2007-08-15, 12:14 PM
I understand, Although, Twice I have not recieved merchandise purchased, once form half, and once from Amazon, and Both times the website refunded me pretty quickly.

The adventure seemed well written with some helpful hints in between action to fill it out and multiple things at key points like "if the pcs do this...". $35 might be a bit much, as I don't usually go in for published adventures, and it's really only usefull once.

I'd suggest at that price, buy the monsternomicon which has adventure hooks for every creature.

Randalor
2007-08-16, 11:42 AM
Oh, a review? You're getting 5 well-written adventures, two of which are optional *They don't deal with the Witchfire, but are set in the same time-period in Corvis*. The book introduces interesting monsters such as boneswarms *giant mass of bone fragments that can be quite nasty* and warjacks. Personally, if you can only get 1 book for the IK, I would go with this one. The monsternomicon assumes you have the IKCG and IKWG, and both of thoses can be pricy.

Attilargh
2007-08-16, 11:56 AM
Personally, if you can only get 1 book for the IK, I would go with this one. The monsternomicon assumes you have the IKCG and IKWG, and both of thoses can be pricy.
Hehe, tell me about it. Best 100€ I've ever spent, though. :cool: