PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making a good set of encounters chasing a possessor-type creature

PhoenixPhyre
2017-09-28, 07:19 AM
So my players (5x level 14: EK, GOO tomelock, Openhand monk, Land druid and AT rogue) are on the hunt through a magically-enhanced jungle environment for a creature that, in its native state, is a parasitic thought (has no body of its own, but can easily steal bodies it comes across). I need help creating a good series of encounters--bodies for it to jump into, environments to flee to, etc.

The party is protected from the body-jumping effect, but basically nothing else is. The creature is of Far Realms origin and so is utterly inimical and antithetical to normal existence. Its very presence distorts reality. The jungle is cut off from any direct planar influence (so no plane shift, no Outsiders). Since this was a research facility for magical transformations before it went feral, there is precedent for just about any type of creature to be there (although fewer humanoids).

I can and do re-fluff anything, so don't worry about fluff, just creatures that fight well together. There's a long-standing tradition in this campaign of body-horror/mutations/tentacles, so those are particularly valuable.

Right now, I'm thinking of ending with something like an aboleth or beholder-kin (death kiss maybe). I'd like suggestions on making it clear that this is one creature with many forms and especially environments to fight in. Maybe 4-5 fights of around Hard difficulty. The party punches above their weight, so if a few are Deadly that's not a problem.

Current ideas:

Underground tunnels
Lake
Jungle ambush

Thanks!