PDA

View Full Version : Half-elf Noble Barbarian?

Stareater
2017-09-28, 11:46 AM
Hi,
I'm soon to play a game of d&d with a new group of players. Last time I played d&d it was still in it's 2nd edition. I have read up on the rules and I have written my backstory (which I will not post since some of the other players in the group lingers on this forum) but I'm not sure how to create my character in good way following my unconventional concept. I'm afraid my character will be too useless in actual adventuring and too much of a comic relief character. So I was hoping to get some help from you all.

My concept is a lazy, snobbish half-elf of noble birth. He likes comfort, fancy clothes, decadent living, charming women and drinking wine. He has a Mr Hyde side to him though and when angry he goes into a frenzy rage though. I'm thinking barbarian is the class for him, because of the rage and the unarmoured defence which let's him wear his fancy clothes instead of unfashionable Armour. But I'm open to suggestions for other classes.

Restrictions are the following:
- We all start with level 1 characters.
- We use the point buy system to get our stats.
- Obviously I want the noble background
- I want above average Charisma
- I want at least average intelligence
- I'm not looking for any Wilderness-skills at all which is often associated with barbarians.
- I will probably pick up the tavern brawler feat at level 4 because it fits the concept well, grabbing improvised weapons when angered.

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

/Stareater

Garfunion
2017-09-28, 12:37 PM
I would go with Monk class. There is no RP restriction for playing the class. When you go into a "rage" you simply flurry of blows them.
Rage flurry of blows; "You spilled wine on my vest! How dare you! How dare you! How dare you! As you punch the targets face in.

As for subclass I would go with Way of the Open Hand.

nickl_2000
2017-09-28, 12:57 PM
Issues I see here

You are using standard array, so having a decent Charisma and Intelligence doesn't lend well to a Monk or unarmored Barbarian. A decent Monk needs to have both Wisdom and Dex as high (and con as pretty good too), a decent unarmored Barb need Con, Strength, and Dex.

Basically this means that you want all but one of your stats to be above average. That will make you struggle massively in the long run.

You may be better off looking into some of the other classes and roleplaying the rage attribute to them. Have you considered a Valor Bard who specializes in grappling (he falls into a rage and wrestles people to the ground pummeling them with his fists)? It would be pretty fitting for your character (although you would still struggle for AC if you are unarmored), and would give you a long term viable character

Corran
2017-09-28, 01:07 PM
Is UA (unearthed arcana) material allowed?
Because there is a feat called elven accuracy, that fits (mechanically) a halfelf barbarian.
So if you are worried about being subpar, then IMO you should look at taking this feat at 4th level, if allowed. Followed by the feat GWM at level 8, ideally.

I would arrange my stats like this (based on your restrictions):
STR 15 + 1 = 16
DEX 12
CON 15 + 1 = 16
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 9 + 2 = 11
(Not sure where from I would take out points if I wanted a higher than the above charisma, though 11 is technically above average. I would lower wisdom if I wanted a higher charisma, cause frenzy barbarians get mindless rage at some point).

ps: If you dont mind multiclassing, and you want a grappler barbarian build (tavern brawler), then maybe you could look at grabbing 1 or more rogue levels? That would give you expertise (rogue level 1 feature), and you could use one of these two expertises (is that a word?) to boost a social skill, making you socially relevant in the department you want the most (be it persuasion, intimidation or deception) without having to put a lot of points in charisma, allowing you thus better stats overall (while also giving you the tools -athletics expertise for starters- to make good use of the tavern brawler feat).

Laurefindel
2017-09-28, 01:16 PM
I would go with Monk class. There is no RP restriction for playing the class. When you go into a "rage" you simply flurry of blows them.
Rage flurry of blows; "You spilled wine on my vest! How dare you! How dare you! How dare you! As you punch the targets face in.

As for subclass I would go with Way of the Open Hand.

Monk is also good choice, but i disagree with RP restriction that barbarian has. At any case, I don't think that the monk comes with less RP baggage than the barbarian.

Just like the monk does not have to be an oriental ascetic, the barbarian does not have to be played as a uncivilized, frothing-at-the-mouth berserker. A short-tempered noble makes a great "barbarian" concept, just like a dare-devil street-acrobat can make a great "monk" concept.

Willie the Duck
2017-09-28, 01:29 PM
Guy sounds more like an unarmed cad or scoundrel than anything else. The simple option would be:
Half-elven barbarian
pts stat result
9 Str 15+1=16
9 Dex 15+1=16
5 Con 13 = 13
2 Int 10
0 Wis 8
2 Cha 10+2 =12
athletics, common, deception, elven, extra language (), gaming set (), history, insight, intimidation, persuasion, Future ASIs: Tavern brawling (w/ +1 con), +2 Con, +2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Dex.
Ends up with 18 in Str, Dex, Con, 18 unarmored AC, 1d4+4 unarmed attack, and all the social skills (but not high #s in them).

Switching it to monk allows you to use your dex for unarmed combat, probably omit tavern brawling while getting the same flavor, and you can switch up athletics and intimidation for acrobatics and <anything> (history overlaps with noble). Starting unarmored AC is higher, but the barbarian above can wear medium armor if needed.
0 Str 8
9 Dex 15+1=16
5 Con 13+1 = 14
2 Int 10
7 Wis 14
4 Cha 12 +2 =14

GlenSmash!
2017-09-28, 02:08 PM
I think it looks great. Half-Elf Barbaraian is screaming for the Elven Accuracy feat from Unearthed Arcana. Get it if you can.

For starter stats i'd go:

16, 14, 14, 10, 10, 12

It's less wisdom then I personally like on my Barbarians, but hey, you wanted Charisma.

Honestly 14 Strength with Reckless Attack will still hit a lot at low levels. Especially if Elven Accuracy is turning it into Super advantage. You could start with scores of:

And use the Elven Accuracy and Tavern Brawler feats to bump up Dex and Con to 16. 14 AC is a respectable enough AC at level 1, 15 at level 4 is fine, and 16 at level 8 is not bad either. I've never played a barbarian with more than 17 AC largely because Resistance from Rage will help you out on the defensive side anyway. Plus you can always get a shield (though it's probably not fashionable).

Lombra
2017-09-28, 02:22 PM
Actually you don't need charisma high. You just need proficiency in the skills associated with it that interest you, same goes for intelligence. Going monk makes this easier, as starting rogue synergizes well with the monk class, and gives lots of skills. It can also work as barbarian, half elves start with an extra skill (of I remember) and you can throw all the skills on the roleplay aspect, since combat skills, tendentially athletics, will be covered thanks to rage bonuses.

grumbaki
2017-09-28, 04:33 PM
Here's what I would do...

Str (16) Dex (16) Con (14) Int (10) Wis (8) Cha (10)

Background: Noble
Skills: Intimidate (Class) Perception (Class) History (Background) Persuasion (Background)

Trade skill versatility for high-elf variant: prestidigitation cantrip (your clothes are always clean, no matter how much blood you get on them)

Walk around wearing the finest of clothes. No armor (that is for peasants). Have a jeweled longsword in one hand, and a buckler in the other. You look like the epitome of a gentleman duelist. Then, when combat starts...lose your ****. Rage. Go berserk. Tear people apart. Swing your longsword like a madman and bathe in the blood, gore and tears of your enemies. And when it is all finished, and you calm down...calmly clean your clothes and go back to being a well dressed gentleman like nothing happened.

Gignere
2017-09-28, 05:02 PM
Here's what I would do...

Str (16) Dex (16) Con (14) Int (10) Wis (8) Cha (10)

Background: Noble
Skills: Intimidate (Class) Perception (Class) History (Background) Persuasion (Background)

Trade skill versatility for high-elf variant: prestidigitation cantrip (your clothes are always clean, no matter how much blood you get on them)

Walk around wearing the finest of clothes. No armor (that is for peasants). Have a jeweled longsword in one hand, and a buckler in the other. You look like the epitome of a gentleman duelist. Then, when combat starts...lose your ****. Rage. Go berserk. Tear people apart. Swing your longsword like a madman and bathe in the blood, gore and tears of your enemies. And when it is all finished, and you calm down...calmly clean your clothes and go back to being a well dressed gentleman like nothing happened.

I like this build but I would switch up dex and con. Every point of hp counts as double for a Barbarian.

rbstr
2017-09-28, 06:24 PM
I like this build but I would switch up dex and con. Every point of hp counts as double for a Barbarian.

Indeed, lots of people seem to be pushing higher dex...but of the two Con is the one to pump first on a Barb for sure.

grumbaki
2017-09-28, 06:29 PM

Glad you liked it!

I agree on the crunch. However...I just felt that higher dex felt more half-elven.

smcmike
2017-09-28, 06:35 PM
I like the character concept.

"Lazy" is a bit problematic with very high strength and constitution, and the barbarian's excellent fighting prowess even when he isn't raging diminishes the contrast you seem to be suggesting.

I guess a man can be lazy when if comes to actual hard work, but perfectly willing to put in some hours at the gym. Particularly a gym with a mirror.

Personally, I would want this sort of character to be a dummy, but maybe that's just me.

Stareater
2017-09-28, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice it is really appreciated. I now have a general idea of what is good to take and what to traps to avoid.