PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder and 3.5

Westhart
2017-09-28, 11:53 AM
So I was told that pathfinder and 3.5 were compatible, I was wondering are the newer books updated to be compatible to newer systems (4e, 5e?) or are they always 3.5? Thanks in advance.

Eldariel
2017-09-28, 11:55 AM
So I was told that pathfinder and 3.5 were compatible, I was wondering are the newer books updated to be compatible to newer systems (4e, 5e?) or are they always 3.5? Thanks in advance.

All Pathfinder products are first and foremost compatible with Pathfinder, but mostly backwards compatible with Wizards-released 3.X material. 4E and 5E are completely different systems with different baseline expectations; all PF is built upon the basic 3.X shell.

Westhart
2017-09-28, 11:58 AM
All Pathfinder products are first and foremost compatible with Pathfinder, but mostly backwards compatible with Wizards-released 3.X material. 4E and 5E are completely different systems with different baseline expectations; all PF is built upon the basic 3.X shell.

Ah yes, that was what I thought just making sure, thanks!

Godskook
2017-09-28, 12:07 PM
Pathfinder and 3.5 are compatible in the same way that Standard Format MtG is compatible with Vintage cards: The effort to "make it work" is trivial, but there's no guarantee of balance when porting between the two. My recommendation is to minimize your porting between the two systems and emphasize finding comparable products in your chosen system that roughly model what you wanted from the other system.

CharonsHelper
2017-09-28, 12:19 PM
Pathfinder and 3.5 are compatible in the same way that Standard Format MtG is compatible with Vintage cards: The effort to "make it work" is trivial, but there's no guarantee of balance when porting between the two. My recommendation is to minimize your porting between the two systems and emphasize finding comparable products in your chosen system that roughly model what you wanted from the other system.

+1

Especially the latter books have made less & less attempt to maintain backwards compatibility with 3.5. Pathfinder character options cover most concepts (except artificer stuff) so the mixing isn't needed, and Pathfinder rules are all free anyway.

Now - you could use a module from 3.x in a Pathfinder game without trouble (though lower level ones would need to be buffed somewhat) but I probably wouldn't mix character options.

Psyren
2017-09-28, 12:29 PM
You can mix them just fine but you should probably pick one to be the "default" and add the other one onto it. Personally I use PF as the base, including their versions of spells, skills, crafting etc.

Westhart
2017-09-28, 12:42 PM

+1

Especially the latter books have made less & less attempt to maintain backwards compatibility with 3.5. Pathfinder character options cover most concepts (except artificer stuff) so the mixing isn't needed, and Pathfinder rules are all free anyway.

Now - you could use a module from 3.x in a Pathfinder game without trouble (though lower level ones would need to be buffed somewhat) but I probably wouldn't mix character options.

Eh, I heard the shapechange fix and whatnot were good, really I wanted to know before I pour over the system.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-09-28, 12:50 PM
Meh, both systems have a balance point of "Hahaha, good luck with that." Whatever quirks emerge from merging the two systems will be vastly overshadowed by the sheer variety of builds already available.

Eldariel
2017-09-28, 01:08 PM
+1

Many of the 3.5 favourites such as Binder, Totemist, Factotum, Artificer, Warlock & co. are pretty cool and yet to really be offered in PF. Not to even mention the countless options enabled by 3e feats and PRCs. I find it a much, much richer system with access to choice 3.X content.

Psyren
2017-09-28, 01:11 PM
Eh, I heard the shapechange fix and whatnot were good, really I wanted to know before I pour over the system.

Their version of polymorph is much better balanced, because you only get certain abilities, and you get modifiers applied to your stats rather than replacing yours with that of the creature entirely. So you can't go from 8 Str weakling wizard to battle titan in one spell anymore.

The Giant himself endorsed the PF version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9606750&postcount=4) (see "Looking Back" in that post) with the caveat that the PAO spell is still as wonky in PF as it was in 3.5.

At our tables, the only change we do is that Polymorph, Greater Polymorph and PAO can mimic any [polymorph] spell below their own levels. Polymorph was printed before some of the more fun ones like Vermin Shape and Monstrous Physique existed to go with it.

Westhart
2017-09-28, 01:21 PM
Their version of polymorph is much better balanced, because you only get certain abilities, and you get modifiers applied to your stats rather than replacing yours with that of the creature entirely. So you can't go from 8 Str weakling wizard to battle titan in one spell anymore.

The Giant himself endorsed the PF version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9606750&postcount=4) (see "Looking Back" in that post) with the caveat that the PAO spell is still as wonky in PF as it was in 3.5.

At our tables, the only change we do is that Polymorph, Greater Polymorph and PAO can mimic any [polymorph] spell below their own levels. Polymorph was printed before some of the more fun ones like Vermin Shape and Monstrous Physique existed to go with it.

yes, going through the Giant's articles was where I actually got the idea... I think I might steal your houserule (If you don't mind?)

Psyren
2017-09-28, 01:39 PM
yes, going through the Giant's articles was where I actually got the idea... I think I might steal your houserule (If you don't mind?)

I'm flattered, so go for it! :smallredface:

Westhart
2017-09-28, 01:42 PM
I'm flattered, so go for it! :smallredface:

Alright, Thanks!