PDA

View Full Version : Exalted in 5e

lesbiasparrow
2017-09-28, 03:42 PM
I love (most of) the Exalted setting, but I can't stand the system. How would you suggest running it, or something similar, in 5e?

Unoriginal
2017-09-28, 03:54 PM
I love (most of) the Exalted setting, but I can't stand the system. How would you suggest running it, or something similar, in 5e?

5e and Exalted are hardly compatible. They're running on completely different power levels.

In 5e, even the world's greatest hero can be defeated if facing enough mooks. In Exalted, the whole idea is that Exalts can german suplex a god, a warship, or both at once and not have too much troubles.

Lord Raziere
2017-09-28, 04:02 PM

Hm. hm.

first we got to rid of alignment.

then we got to revise the spellcasting classes, they wouldn't work in Exalted as they are.

next, we gotta take the monk's ki point stuff and give it to all dedicated non-spellcasting classes.

give everyone more skills, and more points for their ability scores, the character need to be well-rounded.

classes themselves might have to all be gestalt to properly capture the well-roundedness of exalted characters.

definitely ban any spells like teleport, wish and planeshift and resurrection and so on, those don't exist in Exalted.

emphasize that sorcery is not a combat thing and that you need kung fu, bows, thrown weapons or melee to fight.

hm.

on second thought, might replace vancian magic with some thing similar to spheres of power entirely but adapted to 5e to emulate sorcery, perhaps

magic items definitely need revision, do we have 5e rules for legendary items? all the magic items should be legendary, and use whatever rules to stick to those legendary items rather than allowing the christmas tree effect to take over.

I guess all that might be a good start, but I'm feeling lazy right now.....

lesbiasparrow
2017-09-28, 04:13 PM
I guess I should expand -- teach me to start typing a post right at the end of naptime...

What I love is the setting generally and the backstory. I'd be totally happy with an "extraordinary mortals" kind of a game, but I like the fantasy kitchen sink/echoes of the First Realm/Shinto take on gods and spirits/hungry ghosts and shadowlands and the Underworld...

How would you stat out minor gods? The Fair Folk? I'm envisioning something headquartered in Nexus, with scavenger lords looting tombs and dealing with urban politics to try to sell their wares (plus other factions Doing Their Thing), so a much more D&D feel but in the Exalted setting. If that helps. :)