PDA

View Full Version : Non-combat/Interesting Combat "Challenges"

NOhara24
2017-09-28, 04:11 PM
Hello Playground,

As I write this post, I reference this document: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgpg/20080122a

Through the events of my campaign, I have a Druid who will be approached by The Gods of the Old Faith to "reclaim" her from the ways of the material world. Ultimately, she is to challenge the next highest-ranking Druid for his rank. The incumbent Druid gets to pick the challenge, and the Document suggests riddles/races/chess-like games...etc. Although any sort of challenge is viable as long as the Druid is facing the same danger. Ideally, I'd like to be able to factor in the whole party. Things I've considered thus far:

A riddle:
-My party is unusually good at solving puzzles, I feel like they'd breeze through it.

A race:
-Never run a race of any kind before, how would I make it exciting?

Chess-Like Games:
Also known as "combat in D&D".

Anyone have any ideas? I like the idea of a race, but I feel like it would require a lot of narration to keep everyone on the edge of their seat.

EvulOne
2017-09-28, 05:07 PM
Elfquest used something like 'Trial by Hand, Head and Heart' Where Cutter had to be tested based on his skill of balance and wrestling, figuring out a problem and overcoming a fear. Try something like that where all three test her.

Bucky
2017-09-28, 05:11 PM
Race -> Obstacle Course, with flight and teleportation forbidden. So outright running won't win it because there are skill-check barriers.