PDA

View Full Version : Fate

Ivius
2007-08-14, 01:16 PM
Does anyone play it (http://www.faterpg.com/)? Has anyone heard pf it? At first glance, it seems like a pretty good universal system, the most cinematic I've seen in a while.

bosssmiley
2007-08-14, 01:26 PM
For a second there I thought you said FATAL (http://atrocities.primaryerror.net/fatal.html), not Fate. :smalleek:

Don't know it. What's the primary selling point of the game?

Bosaxon
2007-08-14, 02:16 PM
I enjoy the system. Really, I prefer it over d20, but since it's indie, no one plays.

For the uninformed, FATE (Fantastic Adventures in Tabletop Entertainment) is a d6 system based around Fudge. The only statistic about your character is aspects(What makes the character that character) and skills. Checks with skills get pluses and minuses depending on how the die rolls to determine a margin of success. Aspects, amongst various things, will aid you with rolls if the aspect could somehow apply. Also, characters will get FATE points, which is pretty much the power of plot in the player's hands. That's a basic summary.

I'm working off of 2e; 3e has been released with Spirit of the Century and will have an SRD release after the upcoming Dresden Files Game.

Mr Croup
2007-08-14, 02:27 PM
I enjoy the system. Really, I prefer it over d20, but since it's indie, no one plays.

What? As I understand it, a great number of people use FATE, and Spirit of the Century, which as you mentioned is based on FATE, is the darling of RPGnet, and the indie gaming world.

Bosssmiley, to answer your question as succinctly as possible, it's main selling point is the ease with which it can be customized. It's a very simple system, and can be adapted to any genre. It particularly good for pulp themed games, as seen in Spirit of the Century, and I have a friend who is itching to run his "Spirit of the Force" Star Wars campaign using it.

In the "reverse" 3.5 D&D campaign I'm playing in currently, in which the PCs are playing monsters having to deal with adventurers and the like, we're using Aspects and FATE points, and I must say it's quite a bit of fun.

Bosaxon
2007-08-14, 02:38 PM
What? As I understand it, a great number of people use FATE, and Spirit of the Century, which as you mentioned is based on FATE, is the darling of RPGnet, and the indie gaming world.

You have to understand that I don't dig online games(removes the social aspect) and I live in a medium-sized college town with no gaming stores whatsoever and only a few diehard groups, most of which are old-school players. Dungeons and Dragons is the king of games here, with the occasional WoD group. I'd have to look rediciously hard for a group that 1. be willing to learn the system and 2. sustain itself for more than a couple months with the various breaks. I might be able to pull off a couple of one-shots here and there, but I'd be running, which I'm fairly tired of doing.

Mr Croup
2007-08-14, 02:44 PM
You have to understand that I don't dig online games(removes the social aspect) and I live in a medium-sized college town with no gaming stores whatsoever and only a few diehard groups, most of which are old-school players. Dungeons and Dragons is the king of games here, with the occasional WoD group. I'd have to look rediciously hard for a group that 1. be willing to learn the system and 2. sustain itself for more than a couple months with the various breaks. I might be able to pull off a couple of one-shots here and there, but I'd be running, which I'm fairly tired of doing.

No, I do understand, it just seems like I've been hearing a ton about FATE and more specifically the new edition in Spirit of the Century, so it struck me as odd to read the comment "no one plays," that's all. From my limited experience with it, the integration of the Aspect system into standard D&D seems to be a good way to introduce people to parts of the system.

Bosaxon
2007-08-14, 03:03 PM
No, I do understand, it just seems like I've been hearing a ton about FATE and more specifically the new edition in Spirit of the Century, so it struck me as odd to read the comment "no one plays," that's all.

I meant no one plays in my geographical area. I don't doubt there are a lot of people playing out there. It's a really good system, and I might try to recruit a group to play with once Dresden Files is out and my current D&D group burns out.

Mr Croup
2007-08-14, 03:15 PM
I meant no one plays in my geographical area. I don't doubt there are a lot of people playing out there. It's a really good system, and I might try to recruit a group to play with once Dresden Files is out and my current D&D group burns out.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Dresden Files comes out, too. Evidently the system they've created to deal with breaking the laws of magic is the best thing since sliced bread, and is perfect for using as a Dark Side mechanic in a Star Wars setting.

Bosaxon
2007-08-14, 04:00 PM
I'm just wondering how they're going to pull off the shield bracelet. They've had a hard time with the thing, and either it's going to be great or m'eh.