PDA

View Full Version : Question: W4EM

Desteplo
2017-09-28, 07:47 PM
I hear it's supposed to be a 1/3 caster
-it feels more like a 1/2 caster (as it gets 5th level spells

-what if it was modeled after 1/2 caster warlock (1 spell per short rest at lvl 3, 2 at 6) without using ki

-but making the unique unbroken fist and water whip etc into a scaling cantrip that you can use ki to add the push/pull and adding wis mod or bonus damage to unarmed strikes

-giving reach at lvl6 or 11

-just a working thought. Wondered if it had potential

djreynolds
2017-09-29, 06:36 AM
I hear it's supposed to be a 1/3 caster
-it feels more like a 1/2 caster (as it gets 5th level spells

-what if it was modeled after 1/2 caster warlock (1 spell per short rest at lvl 3, 2 at 6) without using ki

-but making the unique unbroken fist and water whip etc into a scaling cantrip that you can use ki to add the push/pull and adding wis mod or bonus damage to unarmed strikes

-giving reach at lvl6 or 11

-just a working thought. Wondered if it had potential

It was an idea I had, that the 4E monk would just gain "invocation" like abilities as the warlock. I think it is easier to implement.

So a monk could cast his fireball, it might just once a day.

Try using the warlocks invocations

CircuitEngie
2017-09-29, 11:51 AM
Moving the Four Elements Monk to use Pact Magic spell slots instead of ki is a viable solution.

If you do move the Elemental Disciplines from the ki resource, I recommend treating them as 1/3 casters instead of 1/2 casters. While this slightly limits the spell level (max 4 vs 5), it will leave the Monk with full ki resources after exhausting spell slots.

Most of the Disciplines transition well at spell level = ki cost -1. Fangs of the fire snake is the exception, which can be changed to act on a duration concentration spell (think Hex) instead of just 1 turn.

A 1/3 pact magic caster would receive the following using the EK/AT template:
Level 3: 1x level 1 spellslot
Level 4: 2x level 1 spellslots
Level 7: 2x level 2 spellslots
Level 13: 2x level 3 spellslots
Level 19: 2x level 4 spellslots