PDA

View Full Version : High Level Spells

Skyflare19
2017-09-29, 07:49 AM
So I am bringing in some Homebrew stuff into my 5e campaign and as a result I have a wizard that the party will be fighting against at a later point who is well beyond level 20. Is there anywhere that I can find spells that are above 9th level, or will I just be adding more damage dice to the rolls of lower level spells?

the_brazenburn
2017-09-29, 07:56 AM
When I started making epic-level characters, I quickly realized that it would be necessary to create a level cap. I decided that at 30th level, a PC essentially became a minor god and could no longer directly interfere with the mortal world. Before that, I didn't give them higher-level spells, just more spells of lower level. Nice idea to buff up spell damage, though!

Skyflare19
2017-09-29, 08:12 AM
When I started making epic-level characters, I quickly realized that it would be necessary to create a level cap. I decided that at 30th level, a PC essentially became a minor god and could no longer directly interfere with the mortal world. Before that, I didn't give them higher-level spells, just more spells of lower level. Nice idea to buff up spell damage, though!

This wizard has actually ascended into Godhood at this point as a result of sacrificing his allies and feeding off of their power. That's the only reason that I think he deserves something of higher level, and he is also sitting at 30th level, which I agree is a good stopping point for leveling as an epic level character.

Naanomi
2017-09-29, 08:16 AM
In my experience, adding more spells doesn't really work for burgeoning godhood... some 10+level slots for more lower level spells perhaps; but Id be looking more at perminant abilities or at-will Powers

the_brazenburn
2017-09-29, 08:16 AM
This wizard has actually ascended into Godhood at this point as a result of sacrificing his allies and feeding off of their power. That's the only reason that I think he deserves something of higher level, and he is also sitting at 30th level, which I agree is a good stopping point for leveling as an epic level character.

In that case, perhaps look into Legendary Actions instead of new spells.

Skyflare19
2017-09-29, 09:17 AM
In my experience, adding more spells doesn't really work for burgeoning godhood... some 10+level slots for more lower level spells perhaps; but Id be looking more at perminant abilities or at-will Powers

Any ideas as to what I can do for something like that then? He is focused on illusion and enchantment right now, turning friends against one another if that helps.

Skyflare19
2017-09-29, 09:18 AM
In that case, perhaps look into Legendary Actions instead of new spells.

Do you know anywhere that I could find some relevant Legendary Actions? Too many creatures in the MM have them, and too few are relevant to wizards.

pwykersotz
2017-09-29, 09:22 AM
Do you know anywhere that I could find some relevant Legendary Actions? Too many creatures in the MM have them, and too few are relevant to wizards.

Based on what you're describing, I'd start with the Lich and Demilich.

Whit
2017-09-29, 09:34 AM
1. I agree that after lvl 20 unless it's on going campaign a new start should be created.
2. Use those characters as npc or story plot but no real active play.
3. However as for new spells, feel free. D&d story is there was lvl 10 god like spells but so destructive the god of magic removed all lvl 10 spells from existence
4. On the other side don't feel prevented from creating new spells.
5. Examples. A player mage of decent lvl creates a spell. It should be a lvl and power that is compatible.
A long time ago I had a cleric who worshipped a dm created god. I was Advised to create some spells. I created a varity lvls which I can't quite remember. 2nd edition. 1. Summon undead 2. necrotic bolt 3. Withering touch 4. Rest I don't remember but it was pretty fun

Zanthy1
2017-09-29, 09:37 AM
At will spells, Legendary actions, less limits on what spells are available, higher spell saves, and tons of special defenses. Plus a cool hat.

mephnick
2017-09-29, 10:15 AM
Any ideas as to what I can do for something like that then? He is focused on illusion and enchantment right now, turning friends against one another if that helps.

Do cool things like at-will Mirage Arcana. It's just an aura that flows off him. Really make it feel like power emanates from the guy without him even thinking about it. Then use legendary actions or even reactions for things like Mislead and Confusion. Then regular actions for powered up high level spells. He'll feel godlike pretty damn fast.

Skyflare19
2017-09-29, 10:17 AM
1. I agree that after lvl 20 unless it's on going campaign a new start should be created.
2. Use those characters as npc or story plot but no real active play.
3. However as for new spells, feel free. D&d story is there was lvl 10 god like spells but so destructive the god of magic removed all lvl 10 spells from existence
4. On the other side don't feel prevented from creating new spells.
5. Examples. A player mage of decent lvl creates a spell. It should be a lvl and power that is compatible.
The problem with not using this character is that he plans to start the world anew. At this point I have been building up to a fight with him the whole game, though the fight is still a ways off.

Skyflare19
2017-09-29, 10:18 AM
Do cool things like at-will Mirage Arcana. It's just an aura that flows off him. Really make it feel like power emanates from the guy without him even thinking about it. Then use legendary actions or even reactions for things like Mislead and Confusion. Then regular actions for powered up high level spells. He'll feel godlike pretty damn fast.
I really like the sound of that, thanks.

Skyflare19
2017-09-29, 10:19 AM
At will spells, Legendary actions, less limits on what spells are available, higher spell saves, and tons of special defenses. Plus a cool hat.

So add spells to the wizard spell list? Also, does a squirrel count as a cool hat?

Renduaz
2017-09-29, 10:33 AM
Here (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Epic_magic). If you're in the Forgotten Realms, you'd have to find some way for your character to breach Mystra's Law, such as tapping into Shar's Shadoweave. But it's homebrew, so I guess it's irrelevant.

Skyflare19
2017-09-29, 10:40 AM
Based on what you're describing, I'd start with the Lich and Demilich.

All right, I'll look into those when I get a chance.