PDA

View Full Version : Creating New Items

leperkhaun
2007-08-14, 02:10 PM
Hey all,

I am looking for where i could find more detailed item creation rules. I cant seem to locate a place with more specific rules on wonderous item creation than what is detailed in the DMG. The reason is below.

In a campagin that im in one of the players is trying to create a Custom Item of DOOOOOOOOM.

Basically he looked in the DMG and found the section on creating magic items and saw that for "use activated" or "continuous" effects the cost to create is "spell level*caster level*2000 gp". He went hmm, a continuous true strike item....nifty. He went and presented the item with a cost of something like 32 thousand for premenant true strike. I immediatly was like....ummm yeah no.

Siting how much high weapon enchants, ability bonus, and what not such a item would be a Major artifact and could not be created, if it could it would definatly have to be made by an epic crafter, and its cost would be prohibitive even if a epic crafter could make it. Also that true strike was a "on next use" type of spell rather than one with a duration.

The DM came up with a comprimise of for an even 40k, the player could have the item, however it would require a move action to activate and it would have to occur in 1 round or the charge would disapate. His reasoning is that if the warrior wanted to give up his other 2 attacks for one guarnteed hit the item isnt so bad.

Anyway said player threw a fit so we are looking for something with more detailed rules so something like this doesnt happen again.

rollfrenzy
2007-08-14, 02:13 PM
I will supply a link, but IIRC permanent True strike would be limited to, like the spell, once per round. You wouldn't per RAW be able to have it always active.

Goes to look for rules, but will prolly get ninja'd

Tyger
2007-08-14, 02:15 PM
Really, there aren't any. Sorry to say. The rules in the DMG, and subsequently in the Magic Item Compendium, are pretty clear that they a) are not rules and b) are guidelines. What the do suggest is that when creating any custom item (and the item of True Strike is one that comes up pretty often, that the DM compare the item to an existing item.

Now, a permanent +20 to hit on any weapon... doesn't really have a comparator. Someone will be along any moment to present you with a few Epic level suggestions, which usually put the item of True Strike in the million plus gold level.

Basic rule here? Tell the munchkin to get over it, and accept what he's got.

Even with having it activated as a move action, its still pretty powerful. Sure, he can't full attack that way, but he is all but guaranteed one hit per round, and if he has Power Attack, that one hit can be with a whole boat load of damage because he won't have to worry about his BAB being too low, so he can pump it all the way up.

Conversely, have the character make it as a uses per day option. 3 times per day is still pretty sweet, and you can guarantee (almost) that you'll hit when you really need to. Then the price guide given isn't quite so out there.

EDIT: And yeah, ninja'd on the "True Strike doesn't work as an always on enchantment" point. It works to modify your next attack... not all subsequent attacks.

leperkhaun
2007-08-14, 02:22 PM
Thanks all. Thats what we basically told the player, that a always on item like that is just not feasible.

As to the once every three rounds thing. The way the DM worked it is that it was a Move action to activate the item and would have to be used by the end of his next round.

So the player could 1) activate the item and make one attack that round 2) activate the item, take another move action, then NEXT round use a full attack option with any ONE of his attacks getting the bonus.

Well i guess me and the DM are gonna sit down and write up some house rules regarding magic item creation.

rollfrenzy
2007-08-14, 02:25 PM
As I read it, a use activated item of true strike, would take a standard action to acivate and then would give +20 on the next strike. This could be repeated an unlimited number of times per day.

As for house ruling the Item creation rules. That is a very good idea.

kamikasei
2007-08-14, 02:26 PM
I don't think house rules are the solution here. The rules given are guidelines that emphasize DM's discretion. If the player can't accept the DM exercising his discretion in a case so obviously needing it - and genuinely wants a Sword of Never Missing - house rules are baling out the boat without fixing the leak.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-14, 02:34 PM
I don't think house rules are the solution here. The rules given are guidelines that emphasize DM's discretion. If the player can't accept the DM exercising his discretion in a case so obviously needing it - and genuinely wants a Sword of Never Missing - house rules are baling out the boat without fixing the leak.

Houserules are a good idea. The DM creates them after all. It's important that players feel like the DM is not just being arbitrary. Besides, when you have a leak in a boat you also still have to bail it out.

leperkhaun
2007-08-14, 02:54 PM
ehhh well, one he is a friend and second is that in general we dont worry about his powergaming. He is really really good at powergaming on paper, but when it comes to in game, it never poses much of a problem...unlike a sword of never missing.

When we get together next time me and the DM are gonna explain why he cant have that and hopefully he just goes ok.

daggaz
2007-08-15, 09:46 PM
seriously... use the search function here and search for "true strike" and "ring" or "magic item."

Then show him all the dozens of dozens of links.

They ALL say exactly the same thing as has been said already in this thread.

1. Item creation pages are guidelines, not rules.

2. Its up to the DM to make a call, hopefully by comparing said item to an existing, more balanced item.

3. An item of continuous true strike is GROSSLY imbalanced and well into the epic levels and price range.

4. GET OVER IT. Accept the truth, the DM's ruling, and the fact that everybody else still wants to have fun in this campaign. Deal. Cope.