PDA

View Full Version : Optimization College of Swords Bard Dipping Hexblade

Foxwood
2017-09-29, 11:37 AM
Playing a custom story, our DM is letting us use stuff from UA if we want.
Am currently a Level 2 Bard, am considering joining the College of Swords and then maybe dipping 2 levels in Hexblade Warlock.

The thing that drew me to it the most was the fact you can use your CHR instead of ATK and DEX for attack and damage rolls, which I think would compliment College of Swords Bards real well with their flourishes. Plan was to pick up Dueling instead of Two Weapon Fighting since it's a little redundant with Cunning Flourish.

You get to spellcast in Medium Armor because Hexblade gives you proficiency. If you pick up War Caster as a feat you could even wear shields, and even try to maintain concentration when being attacked as a frontliner. The Hexblade pact also gives you access to the Shield spell, which is pretty nice for avoiding hits. Outside of that Eldritch Blast and Hex are always nice.

Could be fun to RP too, curious bard accidentally stumbles upon a cursed sword, making a pact with to escape a dire situation. Making the best of the predicament he decides to hone his skill with the blade. The sick laser beams are a plus.

I feel like the real downside to this is missing out on College of Lore's Cutting Words (which I value more that the extra magical secrets for RP Value)

Would it work?

Chunkosaurus
2017-09-29, 11:39 AM
Playing a custom story, our DM is letting us use stuff from UA if we want.
Am currently a Level 2 Bard, am considering joining the College of Swords and then maybe dipping 2 levels in Hexblade Warlock.

The thing that drew me to it the most was the fact you can use your CHR instead of ATK and DEX for attack and damage rolls, which I think would compliment College of Swords Bards real well with their flourishes. Plan was to pick up Dueling instead of Two Weapon Fighting since it's a little redundant with Cunning Flourish.

You get to spellcast in Medium Armor because Hexblade gives you proficiency. If you pick up War Caster as a feat you could even wear shields, and even try to maintain concentration when being attacked as a frontliner. The Hexblade pact also gives you access to the Shield spell, which is pretty nice for avoiding hits. Outside of that Eldritch Blast and Hex are always nice.

Could be fun to RP too, curious bard accidentally stumbles upon a cursed sword, making a pact with to escape a dire situation. Making the best of the predicament he decides to hone his skill with the blade. The sick laser beams are a plus.

I feel like the real downside to this is missing out on College of Lore's Cutting Words (which I value more that the extra magical secrets for RP Value)

Would it work?

Why do you need warcaster the college of swords can use its sword as a focus already.

Foxwood
2017-09-29, 11:43 AM
Why do you need warcaster the college of swords can use its sword as a focus already.

Oh haha right, I forgot about that. I guess it wouldn't be all that necessary.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-29, 04:09 PM
Oh haha right, I forgot about that. I guess it wouldn't be all that necessary.

The new invocation list even has the improved pact blade which makes your pact weapon a spell focus. Also +1.

This is a pretty cool MC option. Go for the Cha Caster Trifecta with Stone Stone sorcerer levels.