PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Shaman Fix

artimus261
2017-09-29, 04:15 PM
I've posted this before but reworked some things, added a few feats to the list and wanted a fresh opinion. Hope everyone likes this. It attempts to smooth out the class, allowing them to focus in areas they'd like to without requiring they spend all of their base feats doing it. In this sense a dragon shaman could indeed specialize in meta-breath feats while still continuing on his Power Attack or Two-weapon fighting path or whatever else he'd like.

It does NOT attempt to make them the equivalent of a barbarian or fighter in melee combat. That is not what they made the dragon shaman for and did not attempt to make them that way. They are more similar to a bard or marshal strangely enough but love 'em for it. Anyway, enjoy.

Dragon Shaman
HD: d12

Add Listen and Spot to skill list

At 1st level the Dragon Shaman gains the Dragontouched(DrgMg) feat as a bonus feat.

Martial Weapon Proficiency: The Dragon Shaman gains proficiency with a single martial melee weapon.

Skill Boost(replaces skill focus features): The Dragon Shaman gains a +3 bonus to a skill bestowed by his totem dragon. He gains this at 2nd, 8th, and 16th and cannot select one skill more than once.

Totem Dragon and Draconic Heritage: The Dragon Shaman is considered to have the Draconic Heritage feat for the purpose of selecting feats by virtue of his Totem Dragon

Bonus Feats
Beginning at 4th level the Dragon Shaman begins to gain bonus feats that help foster the draconic power in his blood. The Dragon Shaman selects them from the following list and gains another every 4 levels above 4th(8th, 12th, 16th, 20th):
Ability Focus(breath weapon)(MMI), Aerial Reflexes(RofWld), Aerial Superiority(RofWld), Alertness, Animal Affinity, Armor of Scales(DrgMg), Athletic, Blind-fight, Communicator(CmpArc), Daunting Presence(LbMrt), Daylight Adaptation(RofEb), Deceitful, Diehard, Diligent, Diving Charge(RofWld), Double Draconic Aura(DrgMg), Draconic Claw(RofDrg), Draconic Knowledge(DrgMg), Draconic Senses(DrgMg), Draconic Skin(RofDrg), Draconic Toughness(RofDrg), Dragon Cohort(Drcnmcn), Dragon Hunter(Drcnmcn), Dragon Hunter Bravery(Drcnmcn), Dragon Hunter Defense(Drcnmcn), Dragon Steed(Drcnmcn), Dragon Tail(Ignores 1st level requirement)(RofDrg), Dragon Trainer(RofDrg), Dragon Wings(Ignore 1st level requirement)(RofDrg), Dragon’s Jaw(below), Dragonbane(Drcnmcn), Dragoncrafter(Drcnmcn), Dragondoom(Drcnmcn), Dragonfire Assault(DrgMg), Dragonfoe(Drcnmcn), Dragonfriend(Drcnmcn), Dragonthrall(Drcnmcn), Endurance, Enduring Life(LbMrt), Enlarge Breath(Drcnmcn), Entangling Exhalation(RofDrg), Exhaled Barrier(RofDrg), Exhaled Immunity(RofDrg), Extend Spreading Breath(Drcnmcn), Eyes in the Back of Your Head(CmpWar), Faster Healing(CmpWar), Flyby Attack(MMI), Font of Life(HofHor), Force of Personality(CmpAdv), Frightful Presence(Drcnmcn), Goad(CmpAdv), Great Fortitude, Gruesome Finish(ExmEvl), Hands of the Healer(applies to Touch of Vitality)(BofExD), Hear the Unseen(CmpAdv), Heart of Dragons(DrgMg), Heavyweight Wings(RofDrg), Heighten Breath(Drcnmcn), Imperious Command(DroUnd), Improved Dragon Wings(RofDrg), Improved Flight(RofWld), Improved Natural Armor(MMI), Improved Natural Attack(draconic claw)(MMI), Improved Natural Attack(dragon tail)(MMI), Improved Speed(ignores dragon requirement)(Drcnmcn), Improved Swim(CmpAdv), Improved Toughness(CmpWar), Indomitable Will(PHBII), Insightful(CmpArc), Intimidating Strike(PHBII), Investigator, Iron Will, Keen-Eared Scout(PHBII), Kiai Shout(CmpWar), Lightning Reflexes, Lingering Breath(Drcnmcn), Magical Aptitude, Maximize Breath(Drcnmcn), Power Climb(Drcnmcn), Power Dive(Drcnmcn), Prehensile Tail(SvgSpc), Quick Recovery(LofMad), Quicken Breath(Drcnmcn), Persuasive, Rapid Breath(add alternate Quicken Breath as prerequisite)(SvgSpc), Recover Breath(Drcnmcn), Reinforced Wings(RofDrg), Resist Disease(ShnSth), Resounding Blow(BofExD), Self-Sufficient, Shape Breath(Drcnmcn), Skill Focus(any Dragon Shaman class skill), Spreading Breath(Drcnmcn), Split Breath(Drcnmcn), Steadfast Determination(PHBII), Strong Stomach(CtyScp), Toughness, Weapon Focus(draconic claw), Weapon Focus(dragon tail), Words of Draconic Power(DrgMg)

Dragon’s Jaw
Prerequisite: dragon shaman 4th level
Benefit: The dragon shaman’s jaw, teeth, and tongue shift and warp to resemble that of a dragon’s snout. This grants the dragon shaman a primary 1d6 bite attack. Additionally this change in physiology assists in the shaman’s ability to speak draconic more eloquently. The dragon shaman gains a +2 bonus on all Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks when speaking in draconic with any creature that has draconic as it’s base language such as true dragons or lizardfolk. Lastly this adjustment also increases the potency of his breath weapon granting it a +1 bonus to it’s DC.

The Dragon Shaman can also select the following feats. These feats all activate whenever the Dragon Shaman uses his Breath Weapon(or his Dragon Lineage ability; see below). The spell level for these effects is equal to ½ the number of d6 his breath weapon deals(maximum 5th).
Applicable Feats: Draconic Arcane Grace(Races of Dragon), Draconic Armor(Dragon Magic), Draconic Flight(Races of Dragon), Draconic Persuasion(Races of Dragon), Draconic Presence(Races of Dragon), Draconic Vigor(Dragon Magic)

Rapid Breath and Recover Breath: The effects of these two feats stack. However the dragon shaman must at least wait 1 round in between uses of his breath weapon.

The Dragon Shaman can also select the Dragon Lineage feat of their color(listed as [Totem Color] Dragon Lineage in Dragon Magic). They can perform the ability listed by sacrificing the use of their breath weapon to activate it. The effective spell level of their breath weapon for these effects is equal to ½ the number of d6s their breath weapon inflicts(maximum 5th). While Ability Focus(breath weapon) does not increase the DC of these effects Recover Breath does still reduce the number of rounds they must wait before using their Breath Weapon or this ability(or Draconic Arcane Grace for that matter) again.

As a small example an 8th level dragon shaman with the blue dragon as his totem who selected Blue Dragon Lineage could now create 2 orbs of electricity that each deal 1d6 + the dragon shaman's charisma modifier in electricity damage to targets within 30ft of him.

PHBII: The Player’s Handbook II
CmpWar: Complete Warrior
CmpAdv: Complete Adventurer
CmpArc: Complete Arcane
DrgMg: Dragon Magic
RofDrg: Races of Dragon
RofWld: Races of the Wild
RofEb: Races of Eberron
Drcnmcn: Draconomicon
LofMad: Lords of Madness
LbMrt: Libris Mortis
SvgSpc: Savage Species
CtyScp: Cityscape
ExmEvl: Exemplars of Evil
BofExD: Book of Exalted Deeds
HofHor: Heroes of Horror
DroUnd: Drow of the Underdark
ShnSth: Shining South

StriderITP
2017-09-29, 06:36 PM
I apologize if this seems rude and blunt, but slapping bonus feats onto a class isn't a fix. In the same regarding that giving a class nothing but bonus feats isn't good class design.

ngilop
2017-09-29, 06:46 PM
I apologize if this seems rude and blunt, but slapping bonus feats onto a class isn't a fix. In the same regarding that giving a class nothing but bonus feats isn't good class design.

I concur, all you did was give a d12 HD and slap a ton of bonus feats onto the chassis

as well as some kinda funky elemtal orb blasting addition that feels.. forced?

anyways i did a Dragon Shaman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?330720-Dragon-Shaman-Please-Critque) fix if you wanna take a look at it and glean some ideas

I went into a full on dragon themed support class though, i veered away form the front line combatant that you seem to be heading with your fix.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-09-29, 07:10 PM
Honestly, if you think the DS isn't strong enough it would be much easier to just combine it gestalt-style with Dragonfire Adept. You get a solid Tier-3 class with really nice offense, defense, and utility.

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Invocations
Auras

+0
+2
+0
+2
Draconic Aura +1, Totem Dragon, Breath Weapon 1d6, Dragontouched, Least Invocations

+1
+3
+0
+3
Skill Focus, Breath Effect

+2
+3
+1
+3
Draconic Adaptation, Breath Weapon 2d6, Scales +2

+3
+4
+1
+4
Draconic Resolve, Dragonkin

+3
+4
+1
+4
Draconic Aura +2, Breath Weapon 3d6, Breath Effect

+4
+5
+2
+5
Touch of Vitality (Heal Wounds), Damage Reduction 2/Magic, Lesser Invocations

+5
+5
+2
+5
Breath Weapon 4d6

+6/+1
+6
+2
+6
Scales +3, Skill Focus

+6/+1
+6
+3
+6
Energy Immunity, Breath Weapon 5d6

+7/+2
+7
+3
+7
Draconic Aura +3, Breath Effect, Breath Weapon (Range x2)

+8/+3
+7
+3
+7
Touch of Vitality (Remove Conditions), Breath Weapon 6d6, Greater Invocations

+9/+4
+8
+4
+8
Breath Effect

+10/+5
+8
+4
+8
Draconic Adaptation (Shared), Breath Weapon 7d6, Scales +4

+11/+6/+1
+9
+4
+9
Commune with Dragon Spirit

+12/+7/+2
+9
+5
+9
Draconic Aura +4, Breath Weapon 8d6, Breath Effect

+12/+7/+2
+10
+5
+10
Skill Focus, Damage Reduction 5/Magic, Dark Invocations

+13/+8/+3
+10
+5
+10
Breath Weapon 9d6

+14/+9/+4
+11
+6
+11
Scales +5

+15/+10/+5
+11
+6
+11
Draconic Wings, Breath Weapon 10d6, Immunities

+15/+10/+5
+12
+6
+12
Draconic Aura +5, Breath Effect

StriderITP
2017-09-29, 07:11 PM
I concur, all you did was give a d12 HD and slap a ton of bonus feats onto the chassis

as well as some kinda funky elemtal orb blasting addition that feels.. forced?

anyways i did a Dragon Shaman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?330720-Dragon-Shaman-Please-Critque) fix if you wanna take a look at it and glean some ideas

I went into a full on dragon themed support class though, i veered away form the front line combatant that you seem to be heading with your fix.

The elemental orbs are the effect of the Blue Dragon Lineage feat. That was simply being used as an example, other Dragon Lineage feats have different effects.

ben-zayb
2017-09-29, 07:18 PM
This should probably be most appropriately moved to the homebrew subforum

Blue Jay
2017-09-29, 08:22 PM
Honestly, if you think the DS isn't strong enough it would be much easier to just combine it gestalt-style with Dragonfire Adept. You get a solid Tier-3 class with really nice offense, defense, and utility.

Hey, that's what I did for my game at Myth-Weavers: I creatively called it the Dragonfire Shaman. It's not exactly a gestalt, but it's close. It gives a breath weapon like a DFA (complete with breath effects), but only usable once per 1d4 rounds (even true dragons can't do it at will), plus invocations and some decent melee abilities so you have stuff to do while you wait for the recharge; and you get auras and touch of vitality for support stuff.

artimus261
2017-09-29, 08:22 PM
Well thank you all for I guess what I'd be forced to call feedback.

Bonus feats are actually quite useful when you feel a class is almost perfect but is just missing that little extra. They are useful BECAUSE they allow different dragon shamans a multitude of options and variation to focus on the style of play they're looking for.

Whether it's the dragon shaman that gets a dragon steed, dragon companion and improved aura benefits, the dragon shaman who chose a much higher natural armor bonus to help tank, the dragon shaman who splurged on all the meta breath feats he could get, the dragon shaman who got his wings early and ended up with a 60ft perfect fly speed at 19th, or even the dragon shaman who got a total of 4 natural attacks to make a potentially powerful full attack action this list allows for a huge amount of diversity and customization for a class that can function in a huge variety of areas.

I'm sorry if adding a completely unique list of bonus feats isn't good enough. Have had two shamans in my party who are astoundingly different and are loving the feats. Don't know what else to say about this.

Would appreciate any further comments actually commenting on the actual content and it's effectiveness as opposed to it's validity as a fix. Not useful or helpful.

Now proceed with the berating posts.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-09-29, 08:54 PM
You got feedback, and that feedback was "this fix is incomplete/unnecessary, here's a better way to do it."

Hey, that's what I did for my game at Myth-Weavers: I creatively called it the Dragonfire Shaman. It's not exactly a gestalt, but it's close. It gives a breath weapon like a DFA (complete with breath effects), but only usable once per 1d4 rounds (even true dragons can't do it at will), plus invocations and some decent melee abilities so you have stuff to do while you wait for the recharge; and you get auras and touch of vitality for support stuff.
It's got so much to do, which is really nice! You can heal and buff a bit, blast with some battlefield control rider effects, and has lots of utility thanks to invocations. I disagree with restricting the breath weapon though. It's better than Eldritch Blast but not that much better, and true dragons also get proper casting on top of their breath weapon so I think it's a fair trade.

Zaq
2017-09-29, 09:18 PM
My favorite way to fix the Dragon Shaman is to give them martial maneuvers. Give them access to White Raven, Stone Dragon, and Desert Wind, with Desert Wind automatically swapped to the energy type associated with their totem dragon and with Desert Wind's saving throws based off of CON instead of WIS. (I'd be willing to hear an argument for swapping Stone Dragon in favor of something, but I want to keep their schools relatively limited, and I like the whole "everyone gets Stone Dragon" baseline we've got going. White Raven is nonnegotiable since it's the ally-leading school, and Desert Wind is nonnegotiable since it's the energy damage school, both of which fit the existing intended feel of the class.)

They should have a relatively small number of maneuvers readied at once, because the kicker that makes them feel distinct is in their recovery mechanic: their breath weapon (which should, with this fix, be usable from level 1).

Basically, when they use their breath weapon, they recover one maneuver plus one additional maneuver for every enemy who takes damage from the breath weapon. (I haven't actually playtested it, but I'd also be open to letting them recover one extra maneuver if at least one enemy fails their saving throw against the breath weapon.) Make allies immune or heavily resistant to the breath weapon, since we don't really want to get into arguments about whether breathing at your friends should recharge your powers.

Leave all of the existing DS class features in place, though maybe base Touch of Healing off of CON instead of CHA to make them less obnoxiously MAD (or base the breath weapon—and, if so, the Desert Wind save DCs—off CHA instead of CON). Grant martial weapon proficiency while we're at it. Now they've got a unique spin on the leader role (passive auras, spike healing, White Raven maneuvers), they've got something to do with their actions while they're waiting for the breath weapon to recharge, and they've got an incentive to still want to breathe all over things, keeping the "dragony" feel.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-09-29, 09:48 PM
Bonus feats are actually quite useful when you feel a class is almost perfect but is just missing that little extra. They are useful BECAUSE they allow different dragon shamans a multitude of options and variation to focus on the style of play they're looking for.
In everything but low power games that class is frustratingly weak thanks in major part to its highly passive nature. What dragon shaman really wants is cool things to do with its actions other than a meh attack routine, a rare breath weapon that is just a fairly irrelevant number of d6s, a highly reactive heal, or auras that just exist.

I'm sorry if adding a completely unique list of bonus feats isn't good enough. Have had two shamans in my party who are astoundingly different and are loving the feats. Don't know what else to say about this.
It's not, don't be sarcastic. People enjoying free bonuses is fairly normal but that does not mean that in a typical game this will be amazing. Heck I am pretty sure I can get perfect and more natural attacks sooner than that paragraph up there off an overall stronger class that is not some insane full caster.

Would appreciate any further comments actually commenting on the actual content and it's effectiveness as opposed to it's validity as a fix. Not useful or helpful.
Content: does not solve fundamental problem with dragon shaman. Effectiveness: far too low.

Edit: Just saw zaq's proposed fix. I am willing to give that a try; I like it.

Lans
2017-09-30, 12:34 AM
My fix was to make it devoted to a either chromatic or metalic, give it the abilities listed staggered out, so if it chooses chromatic it would wind up with ventriliquism, ice walking etc Up its breath weapon, and give it 4 more skills and let it choose two skills as class skills. Also up its aura up one step and let it use more than one at a time