PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Looking for non-Psionic Crystal Template

Pleh
2017-09-29, 04:57 PM
Ok, so the campaign I'm running has descended to a Dwarven Underdark inspired by Bioshock with Dwarven Splicers (approximated by gestalt Binder/Warlocks).

I had a picture in my mind of having a darker splicer to encounter later in the depths: a crystalline splicer. Yes, the Big Daddies will be making their own appearance eventually (half golem template seemed fitting there and maybe eventually some actual golems for the tougher Daddies), but I do want some original content to keep players from getting too comfortable with their familiarity with the game franchise.

Back to the Crystalline Splicer. The picture I have is a template that should bump the LA up a few notches, granting Earthglide and hopefully the appropriate "crystal themed" pros and cons (no need to breathe, resistant to fire/cold, but vulnerable to sonics and shatter, for example).

My google fu turned up a "Crystalline Creature" template from *shudder* D&Dwiki. But it's more the "psionic crystal" than the "earth elemental crystal" that I'm thinking.

Make no mistake, psionics will be making a big show later in the campaign, but that's not the theme yet. These crystal splicers should just feel like dwarves who have lost their souls and become one with the crystal, giving them enormous strength, resistance, and the ability to move about through the stone dungeons as though there were no walls.

Any existing templates you guys know of that fit the bill? I'm fine with homebrew, 3rd party, or tweaking something that's close. I just want to know that I have something close to reliably balanced.

Psyren
2017-09-29, 05:13 PM
I would try looking for things similar to crystals but without the psionic/new-agey connotations - like gemstones (including specific ones) or glass.

Pleh
2017-09-29, 05:22 PM
Google Fu substituting "crystal" for glass and gemstone brings up Mineral Warrior Template.

Looks close, but a little lower in power than I was thinking.

I might just try to tweak it up a few notches to hit the power level I'm looking for.

Thread is still open for more suggestions.

ATHATH
2017-09-29, 05:51 PM
Google Fu substituting "crystal" for glass and gemstone brings up Mineral Warrior Template.

Looks close, but a little lower in power than I was thinking.

I might just try to tweak it up a few notches to hit the power level I'm looking for.

Thread is still open for more suggestions.
I was about to suggest Mineral Warrior, yeah.

Try searching for "earthglide template" or "burrow template"; maybe that will help you find something useful.

Don't be afraid to use multiple templates and/or refluffing, by the way.

The Viscount
2017-09-29, 05:59 PM
Mineral Warrior combined with Half-Glass Golem would skew it more towards crystalline.

In terms of other abilities how do you feel about class level derived bonuses? If you waive the racial requirement, stonedeath assassin seems very fitting.

Pleh
2017-09-29, 09:31 PM
Mineral Warrior combined with Half-Glass Golem would skew it more towards crystalline.

In terms of other abilities how do you feel about class level derived bonuses? If you waive the racial requirement, stonedeath assassin seems very fitting.

Stonedeath assassin is indeed very fitting. Gives a bit more of a Weeping Angel vibe, which is not where I was thinking, but not unwelcome at all.

I'll have a look at some of these options and see if there is some mad combination that works.

SangoProduction
2017-10-01, 04:08 AM
Crystal Creature (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/crystal-creature-cr-1/) works, if you backport PF.

ShurikVch
2017-10-01, 05:11 AM
There are some things, maybe you will like them:

Half-Dragon (Crystal) - while the Dragon in question may be psionic, Half-Dragons wouldn't inherit it

Half-Fiend variant (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) (Glass Devil) - Glass Devil is in the Dragon #306

Stonebone Creature (Dragon #350)

Earth Glider elemental graft (Magic of Eberron)

Psyren
2017-10-01, 12:05 PM
Crystal Creature (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/crystal-creature-cr-1/) works, if you backport PF.

Also allow 3rd party

Kobold Esq
2017-10-01, 02:16 PM
Also allow 3rd party

OP is the DM, he can do whatever he wants.

Psyren
2017-10-01, 02:27 PM

Just making the source clear, I wasn't impugning the quality or anything

Pleh
2017-10-01, 03:08 PM

Indeed, I am open even to homebrew, if I can have some reasonable confidence it is of the correct and applicable power level (so it doesn't fall flat as a nonthreat or ravage the party as a nuclear threat).

Party level is gestalt level 6 with 3 characters, a DMPC sidekick (low/mid-op monk, he's not in charge), and a couple cohorts.

So anything that is hard to fit in 6 to 9 CR monster won't be very useful to me.