PDA

View Full Version : Help with character build (3.5)

flappeercraft
2017-09-30, 12:39 AM
So I have a character concept in mind. It would be for the most part used for NPCs but can also be perfectly used for PCs. What I have in mind is basically making Reaper from Overwatch's ultimate as the main attack routine of a character. Now, the hard thing lies in making it by level 10 or lower which is what I am attempting to do, and to do it against basicaly a whole battlefield.

The earliest way I can think of to pull the concept is a DWK Warblade 7/Bloodstorm Blade 10 with the Distant Shot feat, but for what I want that is 7 levels too high. Don't get me wrong, it does not need to be a one shot ability, or to be able to do it every round for an hour, just to be able to do it a couple of times and attack all in range. Cheese is allowed.

Venger
2017-09-30, 01:38 AM
So I have a character concept in mind. It would be for the most part used for NPCs but can also be perfectly used for PCs. What I have in mind is basically making Reaper from Overwatch's ultimate as the main attack routine of a character. Now, the hard thing lies in making it by level 10 or lower which is what I am attempting to do, and to do it against basicaly a whole battlefield.

The earliest way I can think of to pull the concept is a DWK Warblade 7/Bloodstorm Blade 10 with the Distant Shot feat, but for what I want that is 7 levels too high. Don't get me wrong, it does not need to be a one shot ability, or to be able to do it every round for an hour, just to be able to do it a couple of times and attack all in range. Cheese is allowed.

What specifically about death blossom do you want to replicate? It's pretty much a straight aoe, which there are any number of ways to replicate. That doesn't sund like what you're describing.

flappeercraft
2017-09-30, 11:08 AM
What I want to replicate about death blossom is just the fact that there is a guy who just does ranged attacks against everyone he can see. Blade storm and Distant Shot seems to be the way to go, but I want help achieving it earlier.

I don't want it to be like a Fireball AoE, not trying to do it completely mechanically but also somewhat fluffwise.

Gruftzwerg
2017-09-30, 12:07 PM
BSB 2 with Whirlwind, see my ShurikeNado build. Should be easily fit into 10 lvls. maybe you need a few fighter lvls for the feat heavy WW-chain.

edit: downside is, only 1 projectile/ round and not per enemy as it is the chase with reapers ult.

edit2: my Arcane Channeling build (shivering touch) is also build as BSB 2 with WW. a very deadly concept, beware.

flappeercraft
2017-09-30, 12:25 PM
BSB 2 with Whirlwind, see my ShurikeNado build. Should be easily fit into 10 lvls. maybe you need a few fighter lvls for the feat heavy WW-chain.

edit: downside is, only 1 projectile/ round and not per enemy as it is the chase with reapers ult.

edit2: my Arcane Channeling build (shivering touch) is also build as BSB 2 with WW. a very deadly concept, beware.

Well, that works. Thanks Gruftzwerg.

I have no idea how I didn't think of that, I was checking your build a couple of days ago.

Gruftzwerg
2017-09-30, 01:07 PM
Well, that works. Thanks Gruftzwerg.

I have no idea how I didn't think of that, I was checking your build a couple of days ago.

People tend to forget Whirlwind, because most people declared it as bad/weak feat.

But imho WW is a beast once you have pounce and start to further build around it. The downside is that it is feat heavy. Sure not something you can effort in every build, but imho at least a WW enchantment on a (maybe even secondary) weapon should be in the arsenal of a good equipped melee past lvl 7~10+, depending how often you fight bigger packs of enemies.

flappeercraft
2017-09-30, 01:13 PM
The downside is that it is feat heavy.

Welp, martial monk to the rescue

Gruftzwerg
2017-09-30, 01:20 PM
Welp, martial monk to the rescue

or Cobra Strike (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm)variant monk: gives you 3 of the needed feats at 1,2 and 6.

edit: didn't you always wanted to have some cobra style kung-fu fluff since childhood? I did^^
"snake in the eagle's shadow"

Eldariel
2017-09-30, 01:26 PM
People tend to forget Whirlwind, because most people declared it as bad/weak feat.

But imho WW is a beast once you have pounce and start to further build around it. The downside is that it is feat heavy. Sure not something you can effort in every build, but imho at least a WW enchantment on a (maybe even secondary) weapon should be in the arsenal of a good equipped melee past lvl 7~10+, depending how often you fight bigger packs of enemies.

It really depends. Whirlwind only shines against very large numbers of opponents. It's relatively rare that you fight hordes of relevant adversaries. If you have only 3-4, full attack with Speed enhancement will give you more attacks even if all the enemies are within reach and line of effect. It's just generally too specific for the cost - but of course, the earlier you get it the better. And for this kind of a concept, it can be worthwhile. You need to burn a lot of feats on utter trash (Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack are all useless to a Whirlwind Attacker) to get it though, which really does suck.