PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Northwest meetup?

Logic
2007-08-14, 03:44 PM
Just throwing the idea out there.

Possible Locations:
Seattle, WA (I think that with the Pacific Science center here, it will be a great place to meet up.)
Portland, OR
Vancouver, BC
Boise, ID
...Other locations to be added as needed/suggested.

Time:
TBA as interest is shown.
(I can make it anywhere from Oct-Dec, and maybe Jan. I may be going to Antarctica for a brief time sometime around Jan-May.)

Activities:
TBA as interest is shown.

Members interested:
Midnight Son
SDF
SweetRein
LotharBot
gojira
Logic

Midnight Son
2007-08-14, 04:18 PM
Well, I'm not quite in the Pacific Northwest, but depending on time and place and all that, I might be able to attend. If I had to vote on a city, I'd go with Portland, but I'm flexible.

LotharBot
2007-08-14, 04:45 PM
Both Seattle and Portland have a ton of great museums... PSF, OMSI, the museum of glass, the museum of flight, and so on. I'd be down with a meetup in Seattle; Portland is less likely, as I don't have any completely-free days in my week.

SDF
2007-08-14, 04:50 PM
What about Boise? *hinthintnudgenudge* :P

If I had to chose I would vote for Portland, I wouldn't count on my vote though until a time is established because I am going to be really busy really soon. I want to make it to at least one meetup soon, though. >_<

Logic
2007-08-14, 05:00 PM
I was thinking about adding one of the cities in Idaho, but I don't know how to spell "Couer Delane" so I gave up on Idaho altogether...

SDF
2007-08-14, 05:08 PM
It's for the best, there really isn't much to do in Coeur d'Alene anyhow... :P I'd much rather go to some place exciting if I decide to do a road trip.

Reinboom
2007-08-14, 05:18 PM
If this is post september; well - my interest is sparked. That is, of course, if someone driving by the bay area (san francisco) decides to try to make it.

SDF
2007-08-15, 07:56 PM
If this is post september; well - my interest is sparked. That is, of course, if someone driving by the bay area (san francisco) decides to try to make it.

SF would be what... 16 hours out of my way? >_>

I think the soonest free time I have is the week of Thanksgiving. That is usually a good week for us US college folk so I'll throw that out there.

Reinboom
2007-08-15, 08:32 PM
SF would be what... 16 hours out of my way? >_>

I think the soonest free time I have is the week of Thanksgiving. That is usually a good week for us US college folk so I'll throw that out there.

Or 8 and 8 :smalltongue:
Hey, you have a possible reason to show up in SF anyways. I don't have anyone in Idaho.

Dragonrider
2007-08-15, 11:07 PM
Well, I'm Pacific Northwest, but I'm pretty much 100% guarantee positive that my parents wouldn't authorize attenting a GiantITP meetup. :smalltongue: Even if I COULD find a way to get there. :smallamused:

SDF
2007-08-15, 11:12 PM
Well, I'm Pacific Northwest, but I'm pretty much 100% guarantee positive that my parents wouldn't authorize attenting a GiantITP meetup. :smalltongue: Even if I COULD find a way to get there. :smallamused:

Yes, well, you have good parents then. :smalltongue:

Or 8 and 8 :smalltongue:
Hey, you have a possible reason to show up in SF anyways. I don't have anyone in Idaho.

I think my family from SF moved, and everyone else left for college... I do have a few friends at UC Berkeley. If I were to go to SF I would probably stay for a few days first, though. I still have a lot of family in Sacramento.

LotharBot
2007-08-16, 01:05 AM

Where in the PNW are you?

Would they be OK with you attending an event if they could meet some of the people who would be there?

gojira
2007-08-16, 03:13 PM
I could totally do Seattle ( and I'd be bringing about 5 other people). maybe...maybeee Portland.

Aramil Liadon
2007-08-16, 05:44 PM
You call that the Northwest? Pah! Northwest is where the Klondike is, so don't give me any of that 'Seattle' nonsense.

Midnight Son
2007-08-16, 05:47 PM
You call that the Northwest? Pah! Northwest is where the Klondike is, so don't give me any of that 'Seattle' nonsense.Yes, I'm sure the Alaska/Yukon/northern B.C. meetup is going to be a resounding success. I mean, considering the vast number of GitPers that reside in said locales.:smallyuk:

Dragonrider
2007-08-16, 07:02 PM
NORMAL Pacific Northwest. Alaskan freaks. :smallbiggrin:

@LotharBot: I just don't think my parents would be comfortable with it. Anyway we're over three hours from Portland and six from Seattle, so making it would be hard - not that it's that far but even if geographically it might be possible, logistically it wouldn't.

Logic
2007-08-17, 03:17 PM
Since Alaska borders more on the "Bering Sea" than the "Pacific Ocean" I think calling Alaska the Pacific Northwest would be a little bit of a misnomer.

I thought there would be a bit more interest among the fellows out here (minors are exempt.)

Midnight Son
2007-08-17, 03:53 PM
Actually, about half of Alaska borders on the Pacific. The rest is spilt between the Bering Sea and the Arctic Ocean.

I'm going out on a limb here by saying I will be available. We just need to schedule a time for this so I can adjust my remaining vacation days if necessary.

SDF
2007-08-18, 01:37 AM
Since Alaska borders more on the "Bering Sea" than the "Pacific Ocean" I think calling Alaska the Pacific Northwest would be a little bit of a misnomer.

I thought there would be a bit more interest among the fellows out here (minors are exempt.)

Yeah, I hope we can spark more interest. But I would still like to do it.

But yeah, Thanksgiving week still works best for me.

Gowron
2007-08-18, 01:46 AM
Vancouver would be preferable, but Seattle's not too far off.

Logic
2007-08-18, 01:49 AM
I might be able to talk Jewish_Joke into coming as well, but he has an unreliable work schedule.

Midnight Son
2007-08-18, 10:51 AM
I might be able to talk Jewish_Joke into coming as well, but he has an unreliable work schedule.Work schedules these days; No discipline I tell you! Why, in my day, work schedules knew better than to...

Logic
2007-08-19, 02:33 AM
Ok, in my book unreliable ≈ unpredictable.

Traveling_Angel
2007-08-20, 06:29 PM
I'm in the same position as Dragonrider, I'm right between Portland and Seattle, but can't drive by myself until April.