PDA

View Full Version : The Children of Demons and Demigods

Desril
2017-09-30, 05:06 AM
So without getting into the details, I've got a character whose species name is undecided. What all sorts of names are there for the children of demigods and of demons? Not specifically a pairing between the two, but rather the name of the species of what the child of a Demon Lord would be. The issue is that for various reasons "half-fiend" "alu-demon" and "nephilim" are unusable as they have very specific definitions that this character doesn't meet and they exist in universe as normal so simply re-writing the definition isn't an option.

And before anyone suggests it, simply calling the character one of those and ignoring the mechanics isn't on the table. I don't like refluffing that goes to that extreme anyway, at least not with things that exist normally in the universe. So what I need are other names for children of a demon and/or demigod from other settings. The game is for Pathfinder but for names that come from outside of the Pathfinder setting their mechanics can be largely ignored as all that would matter is the name for solving the issue of "what do I call you"

So; What sort of names exist for the scions of a Demon Lord or its equivalent outside of Pathfinder?

(And tiefling doesn't work either due to being too diluted and not 2nd generation)

hamishspence
2017-09-30, 06:19 AM
Children of gods, in Epic Handbook, may be "abominations".

"Cambion" is a good name for half-demons.

Kiero
2017-09-30, 09:03 AM
Exalted has Demonblooded. In the Dresden Files, they're called Scions (that's for any half-mortal being, though it's usually Scion of [name of non-mortal parent]). You could always make up something, Demonsired for example.

Blackhawk748
2017-10-01, 12:07 PM
How about Godling?

Xuc Xac
2017-10-03, 11:24 PM
So without getting into the details, I've got a character whose species name is undecided. What all sorts of names are there for the children of demigods and of demons?

The child of a god is a demigod. The child of a demigod is a semidemigod and a grandchild is a hemisemidemigod.

GrayDeath
2017-10-04, 04:59 PM
I`d call them Cogad(s).

Childron-of-Gods-and-Demon(s) (funnily enough thats the name of the second RPG I ever made ^^)

afroakuma
2017-10-04, 06:22 PM
Could concoct something, say... theonoth (from Greek theos, god, and nothos, illegitimate/mongrel) or asotos (from Greek asotos, prodigal). Alternately, try different languages - Turkish (savurgan), Hungarian (gazember), Japanese (yougami), Finnish (avioton, tuhlari). Or just make something up entirely.

Xuc Xac
2017-10-04, 06:32 PM
asotos (from Greek asotos, prodigal)

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

"Prodigal" is someone who wastes all their money. It's from the Latin word for "lavish".

afroakuma
2017-10-04, 07:04 PM
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

"Prodigal" is someone who wastes all their money. It's from the Latin word for "lavish".

I know. The demigods of Greek mythology were also frequently heroes; they used their heritage to go forth and do great deeds. I selected "prodigal" for its connotations of the converse; one who is blessed with much but squanders it, as though inheriting both the nature of the divine and the personal corruption of the demonic.