PDA

View Full Version : need some help rebuilding an old character in feel/theme

Dreadfull
2017-09-30, 10:19 AM
I im joining a new campaign soon and are trying to think up a new character to play. I get to be level 9, default starting gold, one magic item of choice that has to get approved by the DM, and she rolled me the following stats to work with: 18, 16, 15, 12, 11, 9.

At first i wanted to make a guy based on narayan sing from the black company books. but it turns out the rules on strangulation dont support the quickness of combat in 5e and i dont wanna spend all my time strangling one guy while the rest wipes all the enemies.
So once upon a time i made a warforged ninja in 3.5. I kinda want to rebuild this guy but the way of going about this is not very clear to me. I have good memmories to him as i once killed my party by jumping off a tower in a panic while being attacked by a dragon. the rest of the party followed my jump thinking i had found a safe exit. i made my falling dmg save. the others didnt. lets just say it was a very anticlimactic ending to a pretty intense campaign that still makes me chuckle.

anyway, on topic:
I found warforged in UA so that helps, but the bonusses dont seem too great.
To get to the ninja feel, i will need sneak attack and some form of shadowstep/minor teleportation from either the monk or the warlock. ninja also had some minor spells but they all worked off ki, kinda like the monk. i dont really care much about most of them although i did end up using a lot of illusions later on in that game but this would be a nice falvour bonus and i dont require it in there.
yeah the ninja feel/flavour is pretty important but not as important as acutally being functional.

i dont have much experience with 5E character creation and the last time i played D&D is over 2 years ago, so i noticed im a little rusty in figuring this all out and its taking way too long for my short attention span.

any and all help in how to approach this would be much appreciated.
thanks in advance.

Dread

PhoenixPhyre
2017-09-30, 10:22 AM
For class, it seems Shadow monk is a perfect fit. Beyond that, I'm not so sure. Maybe a rogue dip for sneak attack?

DevilMcam
2017-09-30, 01:41 PM
I agree with shadow monk.

If you want some sneak attack damages go Rogue (Thief) 3/ monk (shadow) X
you got 2d6 sneak attack and climbing speed from rogue, plus some other goodies, then shadow monk gives you the real ninja feel

Mortis_Elrod
2017-09-30, 02:21 PM
With your stats I'm gonna have to agree with Thief or Arcane trickster 3/ Shadowmonk 6 . Thats about as ninja as it gets in 5e. I would also suggest 2 levels in warlock (any patron is fine but raven queen is pretty cool since you get a raven (or crow nearly same thing) as a buddy. 2 level dip is so you grab Devil Sight which is really good with the darkness shadowstep. Be careful on how you use this though to not screw over party members.

Dreadfull
2017-10-01, 08:35 AM
Thnx for the quik reply guys, this saved me a lot of time having to read all the classes and stuff myself.
im seriously doubting between rogue 1/warlock 2/monk 6 or rogue 3/monk 6.
ofc shadowmonk. next to that im still trying to figure out the best magic item to compliment my character.
Time to get back to reading.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-10-01, 03:14 PM
Thnx for the quik reply guys, this saved me a lot of time having to read all the classes and stuff myself.
im seriously doubting between rogue 1/warlock 2/monk 6 or rogue 3/monk 6.
ofc shadowmonk. next to that im still trying to figure out the best magic item to compliment my character.
Time to get back to reading.

maybe some bracers of armor? If you want to get the MCing out of the way then i reccomend the 1/2/6 split. You're not losing out on alot since your ki abilities do a good job replicating cunning action until you get it. Magic item wise is gonna be a tough decision. When in doubt plus your way out though. +1 shortsword or whatever your preffered weapon is would do well to make up for the asi you missed out on or for similar reasons +1 bracers.

Dreadfull
2017-10-01, 05:40 PM
My DM just offered me to get a rod of alertness.
Would this be a good option to fill out what i get or can i eventually get most of these abilities by class anyway?

Mortis_Elrod
2017-10-01, 06:36 PM
My DM just offered me to get a rod of alertness.
Would this be a good option to fill out what i get or can i eventually get most of these abilities by class anyway?

Thats such a weirdly specific item for him to offer. You think you'll be facing some invisible goons anytime soon?

Otherwise grab the Alertness feet if you want better initiative or dip one Level into Revised ranger, and you'll get wisdom as a save if you continue on as a monk.

Malifice
2017-10-01, 09:22 PM
Second Shadow Monk/ Assassin.

It's Ninja through and through.

Monk 5 for Second attack and Stunning fist. I'd take 6 levels for your Monastic tradition feature. Then take 3 levels of Rogue for sneak attack +2d6 and assasinate (plus cunning action).

Boost Dex to 20 at Monk 4.

Presuming UA Warforged (+1 Con and Str)

Dex 18 (+2) 20
Wis 16
Con 15 (+1) 16
Str 11 (+1) 12
Int 12
Cha 9

AC 19 (Dex, Wis; +1 for Warforged)

You make 3 attacks per round without using any Ki, dealing a sum of 5d6+15 damage (respectable but not OP). Use your (6) Ki points to Stun priority targets (they refresh on a short rest).

Take Rogue 1st for the extra skills. You'll have Expertise in Stealth and Perception.

Dreadfull
2017-10-05, 06:07 PM
Again thank you guys for the solid advice.
Ended up building both the 1/2/6 and 3/6 build and just testing them in some scenario's
Liked the 3/6 a lot better than the 1/2/6 in practice. So ofcourse i choose that.

And yeah the rod of alertness isnt exactly what i want.
Also with 19 AC i appearantly have the highest AC in the party so i dont need to improve that.
That does kinda leave me stuck with the choice of a magic weapon. been browsing them for hours but cant seem to find something similair to the rod in usefullness.
got any pointers or tips on that?
Some way to see in magical darkness so i can teleport to my own darkness spell would be usefull since i didnt take the dip in lock. but honestly i cant imagine a situation where i can easily create a shadow with other ways that negate the use for teleporting in or out of my magical darkness.

either something that boosts my damage or gives my character more versatility would be really usefull.

8wGremlin
2017-10-05, 06:14 PM
That’s what Warlock 2 was for. It has an invocation called devils sight that allows you to see in darkness including magical darkness

Kane0
2017-10-05, 06:23 PM
Rogue (Thief) 3 / Monk (Shadow) 6. All the ninja you need, complete with bonus action dash/disengage/hide/use item/shadowport/punch without needing to spend ki.

Mobile is a nice feat to pick up if you're comfortable with your stats, otherwise bump dex with your ASI.

8wGremlin
2017-10-05, 06:38 PM
Items of use:

Google of night.
Robe of useful item.