PDA

View Full Version : Inherent Bonus Tomes

Yogibear41
2017-09-30, 03:31 PM
Is there anyway other than as an Artificer/Warlock to craft any of the Inherent bonus tomes without being able to cast wish and/or miracle?

Say for example I have a high level Nar Demonbinder with craft wondrous item and access to high level spells, but no way to cast miracle or wish, is there a way to craft these items?

flappeercraft
2017-09-30, 03:36 PM
Illithid savant can steal class features, therefore it can do so too.

Alcore
2017-09-30, 03:39 PM
Warlock is able to craft without needing spells. Requires level 12.

Edit. Nevermind. You covered it :smallfrown:

Necroticplague
2017-09-30, 03:44 PM
Is there anyway other than as an Artificer/Warlock to craft any of the Inherent bonus tomes without being able to cast wish and/or miracle?
yes.

Say for example I have a high level Nar Demonbinder with craft wondrous item and access to high level spells, but no way to cast miracle or wish, is there a way to craft these items?
Yes.

daremetoidareyo
2017-09-30, 03:47 PM

Easy. Bind an efrreet. Then get them to use their wish Supernatural ability to complete the spell requirement for the item. It might actually be easier than getting them to use the wish on you.

You could start making two tones and get them to use their Supernatural ability and just give one of them to them. I haven't checked the base cost of those tones, but if it's cheaper than buying a scroll of wish you should do that

Yogibear41
2017-09-30, 04:03 PM
Easy. Bind an efrreet. Then get them to use their wish Supernatural ability to complete the spell requirement for the item. It might actually be easier than getting them to use the wish on you.

You could start making two tones and get them to use their Supernatural ability and just give one of them to them. I haven't checked the base cost of those tones, but if it's cheaper than buying a scroll of wish you should do that

I mean sure, but if I was going that route I should just get it to use the wishes on me anyway. Besides to make the item you have to "expend" the spell every day, which in the the case of a +5 tome would mean summoning an Efreet for over 100 days worth of crafting. With that many rolls on planar binding something is sure to go awry along the way, probably better to just have it uses it's wishes on me anyway. Although I know you were just answering my question ha.

Suppose if I end up going the Demonbinder route, I might as well use my planar binding spells anyway right? Just will have to be ready for the efreet counterattack when it comes ha.

torrasque666
2017-09-30, 04:17 PM

Hell, just use their Wish ability to have them make you one.

Necroticplague
2017-09-30, 04:20 PM
I mean sure, but if I was going that route I should just get it to use the wishes on me anyway. Besides to make the item you have to "expend" the spell every day, which in the the case of a +5 tome would mean summoning an Efreet for over 100 days worth of crafting. With that many rolls on planar binding something is sure to go awry along the way, probably better to just have it uses it's wishes on me anyway. Although I know you were just answering my question ha.

Suppose if I end up going the Demonbinder route, I might as well use my planar binding spells anyway right? Just will have to be ready for the efreet counterattack when it comes ha.

For a less risky, but similar (in that it requires you to cast a spell every day), you could also shapechange into a Midgard Dwarf. They have this useful ability:

Master Smith (Ex): Midgard dwarves gain Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item, and Forge Ring as bonus feats. They are considered to possess the prerequisites necessary to craft any magic item of those types, even if they do not otherwise meet the requirements or have the ability to cast the necessary spells.
Since the tomes are Wondrous Items, this covers it.

AnonymousPepper
2017-09-30, 04:44 PM
For a less risky, but similar (in that it requires you to cast a spell every day), you could also shapechange into a Midgard Dwarf. They have this useful ability:

Wait, they get this as an (Ex) ability?

The f-?

animewatcha
2017-10-01, 12:36 AM
Welcome to WOTC. Where they didn't truely playtest their game until 5e.

Crake
2017-10-01, 12:50 AM

You would need to be shapechanged for the entirety of the crafting process though, which is a little hard with a 10 minute/CL duration spell.

Crafting the tomes doesn't take as long as you think it does. The crafting time is determined by the base cost of the item. The tomes have additional costs ontop of the base cost due to the xp costs of the wish spell. To find the base cost, look at the crafting section: 6,250 gp + 25,500 XP (+5). That means the crafting time would be 13 days for a +5 tome (because that's half the base cost due to crafting it), not the 138 days you thought prior.

Necroticplague
2017-10-01, 01:14 AM
You would need to be shapechanged for the entirety of the crafting process though, which is a little hard with a 10 minute/CL duration spell.

Not really. Persist Spell is straightforward about it, just refresh every day for your two weeks.

Mordaedil
2017-10-02, 01:08 AM
It makes sense for Midguard dwarves to possess that ability if you know your Norse mythology, they crafted stuff even the gods of Asgard were envious of.

That said, that really shouldn't be a thing you just get for transforming into them, imo.